Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

More MCA Codex Trolls.... INCOMING!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Codex trolls are like candy. 1 is a treat, a few is heaven, a lot makes you nauseous.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Stinger's originals were really cool, and smaller than most of the smilies we have. So why can't we just use them?

28x28 v.s. 16x17

We're talking about replacing the default forum smilies, they'd be used everywhere.

Personally I'd get rid of the huge ones we have now. If you have to use a huge animated gif to get your message through, chances are you're doing something wrong. Most of the tards don't even get the original point in them (Citizen Kane clap, "Avatard", Chinese suicide "assistant" salute etc.).

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Citizen Kane clap has a original point? in the movie the guy was forced to clap or something like that, but has anyone used it like that?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
To be more precise, Kane applauds his wife at the end during the premiere of the opera she stars in, in the opera house specially built by Kane for that purpose. She's not very good but everyone applauds her, either because she is Kane's wife or because they know nothing about good singing, or both. He, of course, is furious because he knows she wasn't good, and applauds her while containing his rage. So each time I see that emote, I assume the one who used it applauds reluctantly with barely contained rage. The other one with the toast seems more appropriate to congratulate someone.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't see how it could be interpreted any other way, even without knowing the movie.

Just look at those eyes.

:bravo:

He looks like he's about to explode into blood frenzy.

Oriebam

I never did

point is, people don't use it "ironically"

Stinger

Arcane
I'm still playing Thief guys, and I'm happier than I've ever been. I might just keep playing that instead.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
To be more precise, Kane applauds his wife at the end during the premiere of the opera she stars in, in the opera house specially built by Kane for that purpose. She's not very good but everyone applauds her, either because she is Kane's wife or because they know nothing about good singing, or both. He, of course, is furious because he knows she wasn't good, and applauds her while containing his rage. So each time I see that emote, I assume the one who used it applauds reluctantly with barely contained rage. The other one with the toast seems more appropriate to congratulate someone.
I think you totally messed that scene up. Kane loves her and thinks she's fucking awesome. It's not rage. He built all this shit for her and pushed her into this shit deliberately as a power play because that's what he does - he's clapping because he thinks it's top shit. In fact I'm pretty sure no-one else claps until after he starts clapping in a loud "HEY I'M CLAPPING OVER HERE" way done in order to get everyone else clapping about how fucking awesome this shit was.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Perhaps we can interview a few movie professors and get their opinions; there could also be a live-streamed debate.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Perhaps we can interview a few movie professors and get their opinions

all that is needed here is for Wyrmlord to offer his impartial and detailed scrutiny of the classic

all ambiguity will be washed away by the cold light of rational conclusion

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think you totally messed that scene up. Kane loves her and thinks she's fucking awesome. It's not rage. He built all this shit for her and pushed her into this shit deliberately as a power play because that's what he does - he's clapping because he thinks it's top shit. In fact I'm pretty sure no-one else claps until after he starts clapping in a loud "HEY I'M CLAPPING OVER HERE" way done in order to get everyone else clapping about how fucking awesome this shit was.

Self deception? Kane falls for his own hype.

Oriebam

emot-words.gif

looks p. assimilable to me

The_scorpion

Liturgist

Self deception? Kane falls for his own hype.

The way i remember and interpreted the scene, Kane wasn't that deluded at this point and knew fully well his wife still sang poorly, but since he's the man and since he can't fail and can't be wrong (for emos also because he loved her, though i'd rather put that on the lower end of relevant reasons) he claps, thus forces everyone else to start clapping and thus "wins" the above mentioned power play, also keeps his face. The crazy stare in his expression isn't rage, it's a symbol that he thinks he can, by sheer willpower, dedication and wishful thinking, make the shitty premiere "good". Because he da man you know.

So the emote should be used if you know something is shit but you would like it to be good... like most recent RPG's

:troll:

But the "barely contained rage" thing also works if you have just the emoticon with no context.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I've watched the movie again and seen what I missed: what really happens is that Kane applauds with barely contained joy the announcement of Skyrim.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Perhaps we can interview a few movie professors and get their opinions

all that is needed here is for Wyrmlord to offer his impartial and detailed scrutiny of the classic

all ambiguity will be washed away by the cold light of rational conclusion
What detailed scrutiny? Gragt was exactly right.

Don't you guys remember that Kane wrote a scathingly negative review of his own wife's play, in the name of telling the truth? Not even his wife could stop him from sticking to his guns. The whole movie was about Kane doing what he wanted to do, in spite of everyone else. Nobody could sway him, ever. Refusing to give into electoral opponent's blackmail. Refusing to come home with his wife and instead sticking with his mistress. Running a yellow journalist muckracking operation much to the chagrin of his foster father. Refusing to give into his second wife's whims and demands. All this was there in the movie.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Erm, Kane finishes the review out of anger and then fires the guy who wrote it - all as another power play.

I still don't think Gragt was right when he said "He, of course, is furious because he knows she wasn't good". In Kane's world, she is good. She will be good. He will do everything he has to do to make the world see her as good - all so he could remove the quotes around the word "singer" that appeared in that original newspaper article.

Everything Kane does - and is involved with - is awesome and you will like it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
FYI I'm using this thread for Photoshop practice.
SyBgm.gif

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Kane wants to be loved for who he is and what he does. His charisma and penchant for the grandiose helps him to be noticed by the masses, but his narcissism makes him view others as an extension of himself whose accomplishments reflect on his. As Leland says, he always tried to prove something, and that went for those around him. In the case of his second wife, it's clear that she became an opera singer only because he pushed her down that path due to the scandal that led to his divorce. It's painfully obvious she's a bad singer, and Kane knows it — he is there when she takes her lessons and adamantly wants her to continue even when she wants to stop. Then after the opera, he only starts applauding after the rest of the public does, and in such a stilted and unnatural manner that I'm not sure it would qualify as overflowing happiness.

As for the review, of course it was a power play. He wanted to show Leland that he could be honest and finish the article in the same way Leland started it because they both shared the same opinion on the quality of the performance and he wouldn't have a dishonest review in his newspaper, only he didn't have the balls to sign it with his own name, fired his friend who criticised his wife in order to keep his dignity in front of his wife and probably the public opinion, and never told her that he was the actual author of the scathing review. He thought he made a point but is devastated when Leland's letter arrive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BAmuNthCEAASH3C.jpg

:yeah:

EDIT: Retweeted by Josh Sawyer :greatjob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom