Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

More MCA Codex Trolls.... INCOMING!

Ether

Educated
I do! Thanks for the tip, that's actually quite helpful.

Here's a quick tweak. (I would have edited this into the original post, but I guess I'm still too new for that!)

Just adjusted the Levels to reduce the line weight, then did a bit more on the jacket. It's subtle, but hopefully makes things look a little better. Too lazy tired to do any more right now.

9VljLCN.jpg

gromit

Arcane
Awesome; clarified the figure and brought out the detail.

I did have some trepidation about finally registering, but in my first week, I got 30+ brofists on my first post, learned a nice technique from a fellow Photoshop painter
I am pleased you are having a positive First Codex experience but tip #2 is don't paint in PS. You did an amazing job layering strokes to blend/bleed where you wanted to... but it also shouldn't be that hard and your efforts could be directed elsewhere. Check out Corel Painter or Smith-Micro's Manga Studio, or there are others, ask The Google.

Of the two, Corel leans toward simulation, and is better for traditional painting... it has things like viscosity, gravity, splatter, etc, and even in old versions its mixing palette is second-to-none. Manga's really good for design and "digital art," with good vector support and funky brush tricks (e.g. loading a hand-drawn tileable into a watercolor brush, for texturing effects or fabric.)

Keep PS around though... like the other two, there's very little that's better at what it focuses on.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Should do a Codex Troll calendar and set up pre-orders for 2016 with a cutoff date that gives enough time for printing/distribution/and reasonable mailing time to customers. Figure it would be a good fund raiser for the site and you can account for how many should be printed before the year ends to avoid waste in spending and overage of printing!

Ether

Educated
Thanks gromit! I sincerely appreciate it, that's really good advice. I'll check out those programs.

I've tried painting in PS for a several years now, but I agree that it's usually an uphill battle to try to achieve the natural look and I've rarely been satisfied with how things turn out. On the other hand, a lot of the work I've seen in Painter has been consistently impressive. I do like the sound of the effects and tools that you've described... might be time to check them out.

I'll stop derailing this thread from the glory of MCA. I'll check into the Art thread if I have any progress to report. Thanks again! :salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've tried painting in PS for a several years now
I'm not an expert, but PS isn't a painting or illustration program. If you want Adobe, you need Illustrator for that. Otherwise, Corel is supposedly excellent, but I've not used it extensively. Paint Shop Pro used to be great for painting, but I don't think it's still around.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
I've tried painting in PS for a several years now
I'm not an expert, but PS isn't a painting or illustration program. If you want Adobe, you need Illustrator for that. Otherwise, Corel is supposedly excellent, but I've not used it extensively. Paint Shop Pro used to be great for painting, but I don't think it's still around.
PaintShop Pro was great, while it was still a Jasc Software product... nowadays it belongs to Corel, who made a photo editing suite out of it and basically dumped the rest of the functions (so as not to compete with Corel Draw)... the last version that was more of a complete graphics programme was PaintShop Pro X

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
MCA has blessed me with a physical copy of his creation,finally I have something that was made by MCA's divine hands
:love::happytrollboy:

wtS0m0D.jpg

:love::mca::love:

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
J_C clearly never owned a C64

Well no, I never OWNED ONE. Once or twice I borrowed it from a friend of mine for a few weeks, with a shitload of game, but back than I was not yet into gaming. I just tried some games which I didn't know anything about. My only memories were playing Street Rod.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You missed out!

You know, this sounds really harsh now, but I remember when I thought this was the best music in the world. Fucking kids.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
'cause I have tickets for a performance of "The Musical Offering" with contemporary instruments in four days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom