Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morroblivion

DarthBehemoth

Learned
the mod is basically Morrowind with the Oblivion game engine. Maybe I'll download it since I really loved Morrowind when I was little. Has anyone here tried it?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thing is, the Oblivion engine is shit compared to Morrowind cause there's some gameplay features lacking and the dialogue system is too restricted (lol only 30 word sentences or something). You're better off using Morrowind graphic improvement mods, especially MGE, which has far better distant land view than Oblivion.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Morrowind is better in every single aspect, so why would you want to do that?

Erzherzog

Magister
Morrowind's graphics aren't good.

Oblivion's graphics aren't good.

I fail to see purpose behind this mod.

Ammar

Scholar
From the FAQ:

» Wasn't Morroblivion shut down by Bethesda?
Several years ago, at the beginning of the Morroblivion project, the project thread was shut down on the official Bethesda forums, and hosting of it on TES Nexus was taken down at Bethesda's request, due to some apparent licensing issues with using textures from Morrowind in Oblivion.

Please respect Bethesda's legal concerns and do not post or discuss Morroblivion on the Bethesda official forums, TES Nexus, Planet Elder Scrolls, other similar sites, social networking sites etc.
These legal issues have now been circumvented with mesh and texture replacers, and community development of the project is still going on here at Morroblivion.com.

Looking at the screenshots I prefer the original Morrowind engine.

Gord

Arcane
It's an interesting project, but as been pointed out, there are good graphic extenders for Morrowind available now, rendering this somewhat unneccesary.

And what will they do after Skyrim is out? :M

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Thing is, the Oblivion engine is shit compared to Morrowind cause there's some gameplay features lacking and the dialogue system is too restricted (lol only 30 word sentences or something). You're better off using Morrowind graphic improvement mods, especially MGE, which has far better distant land view than Oblivion.
This.

Physics engine and irradiated AI framework could be put to some use (no matter how retarded they were in bethesduh's implementation), but they aren't worth putting up with derpy and limited mechanics.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Given the absolute raping of the canon in Skyrim, I'd say its safe to say that we won't be seeing Morrowind again anytime soon. They dumped as much of it into Skyrim as they could, and there it'll likely stay because most of Morrowind was either destroyed or over run with Lizards. If that's not a middle finger to their former fanbase I don't know what is. But having that entire island destroyed is like saying "we don't give a shit about the world we built anymore".

So I doubt you'll be seeing a Morroskyrim mod. If they did, it'd be completely in vain, Bethesda has abandoned that part of the canon, nothing to see here.. move along. I feel like they went too far this time, I could barely even tolerate the changes they made in Oblivion even (Cyrodil no longer being a Jungle).

Bunch of bs, the whole bloody point of Morrowind was the lore, now they pretty much chucked most of it.

DraQ

Arcane
ZeniBot said:
Given the absolute raping of the canon in Skyrim, I'd say its safe to say that we won't be seeing Morrowind again anytime soon. They dumped as much of it into Skyrim as they could, and there it'll likely stay because most of Morrowind was either destroyed or over run with Lizards. If that's not a middle finger to their former fanbase I don't know what is.
As much as I rage about mechanics and many lore alterations (DARGON INVASHUUN!!!1) in Skyrim, I can't agree with Vvardenfell getting blown up being any sort of malicious move by neobeth.

It was predicted unambiguously in Morrowind, so unless you claim that Beth planned to show the finger to the Morrowind fans before it was even released, claim that it was done by beth to piss off Morrowind fans or even cut themselves free of Morrowind lore is just bollocks.

Relevant quotation follows:
The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec: Sermon Thirty-Three said:
(...)
Lie Rock, however, used the confusion to launch his own attack on the city-god, Vivec. He was hastened by all three of the black guardians, who wanted him swiftly gone, though they meant no hostility to the lord of the middle air.

The citizenry of Vivec screamed as they saw a shooting star come down out of the sky hole like a toll-road of hell. But Vivec merely raised his hand and froze Lie Rock just above the city and then he pierced the monster with Muatra.

(The practice of piercing the Second Aperture is now forbidden.)

When Nerevar returned, he saw the frozen comet above his lord's city. He asked whether or not Vivec wanted it removed.

'I would have done so myself if I wanted, silly Hortator. I shall keep it there with its last intention intact, so that if the love of the people of this city for me ever disappear, so shall the power that holds back their destruction.'

ZeniBot

Cipher
I thought that it was always meant to be a case of it being a warning though, never something that was actually certain-- but of course I'm an idiot for forgetting that basically every damn prophecy in the TES universe has to always come true.

Plus it would've been better to have actually witnessed it in the games instead, if they did have to get rid of their iconic worlds, they should've at least given it a proper send off. I don't like the political changes they made, they effectively took out most of the politics that made morrowind awesome and turned the Dark Elves into the equivalents of the Argonians (and now the tables have turned so the Argonians rule over the DarkElves.. kinda sucks). They kinda craped on everything I liked about Morrowind with those events.

DraQ

Arcane
ZeniBot said:
I thought that it was always meant to be a case of it being a warning though, never something that was actually certain-- but of course I'm an idiot for forgetting that basically every damn prophecy in the TES universe has to always come true.
Well, it's not as much a prophecy, as plain "I've rigged the rock to fall if you no longer love me, faggets". Well, he did.

Plus it would've been better to have actually witnessed it in the games instead
I don't think such an event would fit anywhere inside a game. It was "rock falls, everyone dies".

I don't like the political changes they made, they effectively took out most of the politics that made morrowind awesome and turned the Dark Elves into the equivalents of the Argonians (and now the tables have turned so the Argonians rule over the DarkElves.. kinda sucks). They kinda craped on everything I liked about Morrowind with those events.
Argonians are rather cool and I'd say the only reason they weren't fleshed out in TES is that there was no TES:Argonia.
Notice how Dunmer were largely drow rip-offs up until (and including) Daggerfall, which *teemed* with politics.

Politics disappeared from the series in Oblivion, not because of any rocks falling or anything, but because bethesda's creative effort (for lack of better word) started being directed by a slightly retarded manchild, striving to please a bunch of greedy suits.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Politics disappeared from the series in Oblivion, not because of any rocks falling or anything, but because bethesda's creative effort (for lack of better word) started being directed by a slightly retarded manchild, striving to please a bunch of greedy suits.

I think we can all agree on that :thumbsup:

Either way I'm probably going into Skyrim as a pissed off Dark Elf lol. It'll give me more of a reason to burn, pillage, ect.

It would be interesting to see the argonians as the main race for a change this is true, if they were going to be portrayed as a real threat to the Dark Elves, ideally they should've been portrayed in a less retarded manner. Oblivion especially.

DraQ

Arcane
ZeniBot said:
It would be interesting to see the argonians as the main race for a change this is true, if they were going to be portrayed as a real threat to the Dark Elves, ideally they should've been portrayed in a less retarded manner. Oblivion especially.
What *wasn't* portrayed in retarded manner in Oblivious?

In Morrowind they were portrayed rather positively, they were intelligent and, aside for some weird mannerisms, free of possible silliness. We had an Argonian in the role of the most competent head of MG chapter (Skink in Sadrith Mora - see the Telvanni spy quest), the most competent Blades trainer (Nine-Toes, at least he knew *anything* about what might be going on), Huleeya, etc.

You'd think after Vivec vanished everyone in Vivec City who was a devout follower of the Tribunal (and thus knew their teachings) would have looked up and said "Wait a minute..."

Then started clearing right the fuck out.

Grimlorn

Arcane
That sermon doesn't even make sense. It implies that Vivec was a god and the city of Vivec was built while the Nerevar was still alive. However, in both stories of what happened at Red Mountain Nerevar is killed before the Tribunal become Gods.
It also makes no sense within the context of the game. Vivec was the only 1 of the Tribunal who stayed behind to combat Dagoth Ur and his minions, helps the Nerevarine remove their God powers, the only one that seems to care about the people in Vvardenfell, but he's going to get pissy and destroy the island if people stop loving him?

ZeniBot

Cipher
Then started clearing right the fuck out.

Well they kinda tried that.

Vvardenfell was destroyed after the Ministry of Truth crashed into the city of Vivec causing Red Mountain to erupt. Most of the island was covered in ash, forcing the population to leave for the island of Solstheim.

This is also why a lot of Dark Elves ran across the border into Skyrim.

DraQ

Arcane
Grimlorn said:
That sermon doesn't even make sense. It implies that Vivec was a god and the city of Vivec was built while the Nerevar was still alive. However, in both stories of what happened at Red Mountain Nerevar is killed before the Tribunal become Gods.
It also makes no sense within the context of the game. Vivec was the only 1 of the Tribunal who stayed behind to combat Dagoth Ur and his minions, helps the Nerevarine remove their God powers, the only one that seems to care about the people in Vvardenfell, but he's going to get pissy and destroy the island if people stop loving him?
Pretty much all sources in TES are not to be trusted completely.

Especially stuff written by trickster demigod as palimpsest of mysticism, historical account, religious propaganda, and instructions for future Nerevarine.

There was a decent analysis of 36 Lessons on TIL, but it seems to not be around any more.

The fact is that there is a huge ass rock suspended above Vivec.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom