Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morroblivion

Gord

Arcane
The fact is that the Elder Scrolls "lore" does not exist in form of one binding, reliable source they came up with at some point, but is retconned whenever Todd & Co feel like it.

All the talk about the Elder Scrolls altering reality or trickster gods trying to fuck with their worshippers is just an half-assed try to justify said retcons.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Am I the only one who think Morrowind looks more tolerable without major modding than with? Not only do all those added visuals in a lot of those mods kind of distract from the core art, they also completely ruin the game's framerate for me due to the crazy code hacks involved. I can appreciate an old-looking game, but when you introduce so much inconsistency things get really jarring. It's like getting one of those sprite mods for the old Ultima games but then only installing half of them, so big portions of the game look terrible while others look two generations ahead. Putting it into the Oblivion engine doesn't seem like much improvement either, and if anything is even more jarring than those MGE mods.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
sea said:
Am I the only one who think Morrowind looks more tolerable without major modding than with?

I agree with you. Been many years since I played MW, though, but at the time I thought all those unlimited view distance mods just made things look artificial. Having som "fog" also gives a better illusion of size and in addition gives better FPS.
In Oblivion OTOH, with or without mods, the umlimited view distance looks much more realistic.

The video SCO posted definitely makes Morrowind look better, though.

Gerrard

Arcane
Holy shit, that music mod, always wanted something like that for Morrowind.

Gord

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
It's kinda funny when you click on a "MUST HAVE" mods list and 4/5 of it are mods that make people look, uh, "better".

Look, it's Granny Muzgob, the orc-governess.

DraQ

Arcane
Gord said:
The fact is that the Elder Scrolls "lore" does not exist in form of one binding, reliable source they came up with at some point, but is retconned whenever Todd & Co feel like it.

All the talk about the Elder Scrolls altering reality or trickster gods trying to fuck with their worshippers is just an half-assed try to justify said retcons.
Odd how the dumbing down of TES has been marked by the departure from multiple conflicting sources in favour of single word of god.
:roll:

Clockwork Knight said:
It's kinda funny when you click on a "MUST HAVE" mods list and 4/5 of it are mods that make people look, uh, "better".
So Sharn's face is almost the same, while her hairstyle changes dramatically?

I'm not sure I can handle this much incline.

Turjan

Arcane
DraQ said:
Her face looks completely different. The changes regarding the nose and the brows are particularly big.

That's one problem I have with the face replacers: They usually have no respect for the original art style, like all mer having high brows.

DraQ

Arcane
Turjan said:
DraQ said:
Her face looks completely different. The changes regarding the nose and the brows are particularly big.
Well, yeah, but there is hardly any increase in quality.

That's one problem I have with the face replacers: They usually have no respect for the original art style, like all mer having high brows.
This. Is something I find fucking infuriating.
:x

I'm using Westly's faces, because there are several nice Argonian and Khajiit faces in this mod and it doesn't touch any NPC faces, but *all* the other added faces and vast majority of hair styles are just
:retarded: .

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
Gord said:

Odd how the dumbing down of TES has been marked by the departure from multiple conflicting sources in favour of single word of god.

What does it matter? If there had been no single word of god you'd be complaining anyway.

Gord

Arcane
DraQ said:

My point is, there's no reason to argue over the Elder Scrolls "lore", as it doesn't exist in a form worth arguing about. It never was more than a few rough ideas that got used how Bethesda saw fit to.

Constantly changing it is a retarded thing to do, yes, but there anyway never was an iteration worth calling "canon".

ZeniBot

Cipher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WOqTReFDdI&feature=related

Solution.. DOWNLOAD ENBSERIES.. fucking hell, HDR and Bloom are not exclusive, you can do both. I never truly understood why Bethesda made it one or the other but it was later fixed in Fallout 3. Also the fact that the video was made in 2009 is just sad, I mean, this is an argument people were making back in 2004-2005, its a bit freaking late. (you can enable both so long as you have shader 3 on).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P00V4jcZT3U&feature=related

Lol so much wasted talent.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
ZeniBot said:
Solution.. DOWNLOAD ENBSERIES.. fucking hell, HDR and Bloom are not exclusive, you can do both. I never truly understood why Bethesda made it one or the other but it was later fixed in Fallout 3.

I never understood why people are so fond of the ghastly glare caused by HDR and Bloom.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
octavius said:
ZeniBot said:
Solution.. DOWNLOAD ENBSERIES.. fucking hell, HDR and Bloom are not exclusive, you can do both. I never truly understood why Bethesda made it one or the other but it was later fixed in Fallout 3.

I never understood why people are so fond of the ghastly glare caused by HDR and Bloom.

Gord

Arcane
octavius said:
ZeniBot said:

I never understood why people cared much either way. Then again:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Gord said:
octavius said:
ZeniBot said:

I never understood why people cared much either way.

I'm just curious why people think that glare looks better than crisp, normal graphics.

Gord

Arcane
I guess because for some it might look boring?

Also Bloom and crisp graphics aren't mutually exclusive, imho.

Looking at it from another perspective, I think these effects are producing something like "hyper-reality".
Similarly to HDR-effects in photography, strong bloom and/or HDR effects in games seem to make them look more "real", although in reality they look less real, as it often is completely overdone. Nevertheless it's an gimmick that's en vogue right now.
(Same with "god-rays". Have you ever seen something like this on the scale it's being used in games? You would probably need tons of vapor or dust in the air to even remotely have such a pronounced effect. )

Anyway, I don't care much for the presence or absence of such effects, if the arts are good overall. I agree that overdoing it hurts the game, but if done right (usually meaning not using too much) I feel it can "spice up" the graphics a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom