Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morroblivion

Gerrard

Arcane
ZeniBot said:
Solution..don't play games with shitty engines.
Fixed
Also ENB is shit too.

I never truly understood why Bethesda made it one or the other but it was later fixed in Fallout 3
I'm pretty sure they aren't exclusive in Oblivion either, it's just that you could have bloom without HDR. The setting that controlled the amount of bloom was some separate slider.

Turjan

Arcane
Gord said:
Same with "god-rays". Have you ever seen something like this on the scale it's being used in games? You would probably need tons of vapor or dust in the air to even remotely have such a pronounced effect.
I have the feeling it has to do with lots of people seeing nature only on a big TV in their liviing room, and when they talk about god-rays, they actually mean lens flare :smug:.

Gerrard

Arcane
6p569y.jpg

I wish I knew which dumbass coined the name god rays though.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Gerrard said:
I wish I knew which dumbass coined the name god rays though.

Perhaps, she/he/it just misspelled "good rays"... or something.

Ps. "In reality", though, just watch some old bible illustration with clouds, The God, and... awfully many "god rays". We know it, and we know it not from today, that modern "art of 3d graphics" is more "smoke and mirror" then anything else (like a proper ray-tracing math equations...).

DraQ

Arcane
Drog said:
My point is, there's no reason to argue over the Elder Scrolls "lore", as it doesn't exist in a form worth arguing about. It never was more than a few rough ideas that got used how Bethesda saw fit to.

Constantly changing it is a retarded thing to do, yes, but there anyway never was an iteration worth calling "canon".
Around Redguard and Morrowind the lore was pretty interesting and well defined. Even back in Daggerfall there existed a solid foundation.

The way TES lore went from derpy D&D offshot, to a world of its own left it with many characteristics not dissimilar to RL mythologies and historical accounts, which are absent from nearly all fictional universes.

The way TES lore was presented to the player, as a mixture of contradicting and fallible in-universe sources might have made it more flexible but it was also more interesting and intelligent way to present in-game lore than spoon-feeding the player words of god.

That's actually a pretty nice screenie, the effect is relatively subtle and would be perfectly possible in slightly dusty atmosphere - like this of Vvardenfell.
:salute:

Jack said:
God rays in games
ScreenShot0231.1.jpg

God rays in reality
god-rays-grampians.jpg

God rays in Homeworld
sea-of-lost-souls.jpg

:bounce:

Gord said:
I guess because for some it might look boring?

Also Bloom and crisp graphics aren't mutually exclusive, imho.

Looking at it from another perspective, I think these effects are producing something like "hyper-reality".
Similarly to HDR-effects in photography, strong bloom and/or HDR effects in games seem to make them look more "real", although in reality they look less real, as it often is completely overdone. Nevertheless it's an gimmick that's en vogue right now.
(Same with "god-rays". Have you ever seen something like this on the scale it's being used in games? You would probably need tons of vapor or dust in the air to even remotely have such a pronounced effect. )

Anyway, I don't care much for the presence or absence of such effects, if the arts are good overall. I agree that overdoing it hurts the game, but if done right (usually meaning not using too much) I feel it can "spice up" the graphics a bit.
I prefer simpler explanation - current generation of mouthbreathers doesn't go out much and doesn't even know how reality looks like.
:smug:

:troll: said:
So it's respecting the original art style...everyone in vanilla had athletic, muscular bodies.
Except original game had a lot of old and characteristically ugly faces, while one body per race is simply mechanical limitation.
:troll: said:
nvm

Peter

Arcane
You're no Grunker, Skyway.

Stop while you're ahead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom