Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind defiling continues - Skywind

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
A pointless remake for an audience that will forget about it rather quickly.

Thal

Augur
Skyrim's biggest problems by far were stupid quest design, quest lines and the plot, which unfortunately are unfixable, even by Requiem.
Plot and setting on the other hand are Morrowind's greatest strengths and this remake won't change that.

Also, those Dev videos are legit impressive with the amount of work they've put in. Morroblivion looks like crap, but I don't get the same feeling here. Quite the opposite actually. The new tech they have could create a pretty interesting experiences in the game. See this Ash Storm for example:

Assuming they can implement underwater combat and levitation, I see no reason not to try it out.

The big question is, can they set the challenge curve just right or will they chicken out and make it as easy as Skyrim? ARPG that is too easy is just pointless. Requiem style approach would work really well in VVardenfell, because areas with high level content can easily be designated and the players should be aware of them beforehand. Daedric Ruins and the like, as well as places like Grazelands where new players practically never go.

Next TES is pretty far away, so if they can release it within 2 years, Skywind might get a pretty big audience.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
A pointless remake for an audience that will forget about it rather quickly.

I agree, it's going to be a novelty for a while but that's it considering the attention span of the audience it's being made for. These people should just join Tamriel Rebuilt so that gets completed at some point in my goddamn lifetime. :|

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I agree, it's going to be a novelty for a while but that's it considering the attention span of the audience it's being made for. These people should just join Tamriel Rebuilt so that gets completed at some point in my goddamn lifetime. :|

That, or help with OpenMW/make awesome graphic mods for Morrowind.

Gord

Arcane

That, or help with OpenMW/make awesome graphic mods for Morrowind.

Every once in a while I wonder what's the better way to go - recreate the content in a new engine or create a new engine preserving the content. Both can take ages to complete (and might well turn out pointless) but also require a very different set of abilities.
In case of Skywind, imo a lot depends on whether they can recreate the missing mechanics from Morrowind in the Skyrim engine, esp. the more elaborate magic system.
Gotta hand it to them though, their maps and this Ashstorm vid look pretty good.

Ash

Arcane
Too much graphics/presentation whoring without much mention of gameplay. My interest in this would instantly be killed if the game features Skyrim's garbage systems. Not that Morrowind's is a whole world better, but it's at least engaging.

Either way, it's an impressive effort.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Too much graphics/presentation whoring without much mention of gameplay. My interest in this would instantly be killed if the game features Skyrim's garbage systems. Not that Morrowind's is a whole world better, but it's at least engaging.

Either way, it's an impressive effort.

I think it is a given, friend. There's a reason they hide it so much.

I've said it on 4chan's /tesg/: Skywind will be Morrowind Screenshot Simulator and nothing else.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
LEf6eHZhCebw4HaTZXtNZD.jpg

[audible chuckle]

Krivol

Magister
So... Will NPC's give us some verbal directions of quests/dungeons/dverme boxes or will we have quest compass. If the latter, then all people here who are fapping over this title are graphic whores.

I mean Skyrim UI is bad but I can bare this, but quest compass and dialogues are shiiiiit.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So... Will NPC's give us some verbal directions of quests/dungeons/dverme boxes or will we have quest compass. If the latter, then all people here who are fapping over this title are graphic whores.

I mean Skyrim UI is bad but I can bare this, but quest compass and dialogues are shiiiiit.

They are literally getting rid of Morrowind's combat/spell mechanics, and making this mod solely to introduce it to a new gayneration of gaymers, so why in the hell would they not add quest compasses when it means tons of voiced dialogue you can skip.

typical user

Arbiter

You can turn off quest markers and even entire compass in Skyrim, sure the game is unplayable because no one gives you any directions but in Skywind the original dialogue will be intact so it shouldn't be a problem.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Plot and setting on the other hand are Morrowind's greatest strengths and this remake won't change that.

That's the truth. The theme in Morrowind is drawing the line between God and Man. The 'villains' in the game are demigod status mortals who gained their power basically through labor. They become so powerful that a huge portion of the continent worships them as true gods. You follow the path of these demigods and build yourself up from weakling nobody to being worshiped as Nerevarine. Because of the initial difficulty in the game combined with the massive world cluttered with complex and interesting factions, finally reaching that status is rewarding. You don't feel like you were born a god but rather you achieved god status through hard work.

Everything in the game is built upon that theme and this is what makes Morrowind great. Not the big mushrooms or alien landscapes or whatever the hell else other people talk about.

I don't understand why these people are wasting so much time remaking it solely for the purpose of updating graphics (which will be obsolete by the time skywind releases anyway) when graphics are the least important part of the game. I think a lot will be lost in translation.

The 'villains' in the game are demigod status mortals who gained their power basically through labor. They become so powerful that a huge portion of the continent worships them as true gods.

The Tribunal were worshiped as gods because they used Keening, Sunder and Wraithguard to commune with the Heart of Lorkhan. It granted them enough power that they could basically say 'Frak you' to the Daedras' machinations on the physical plane, but came with a price. Every once in a great while they had to repeat the ritual to renew them. Dagoth Ur and his minions eventually swiped Keening and Sunder, resulting in Vivec and company growing progressively weaker. The Tribunal hid all of this from their followers.

Make no mistake, each member of the Tribunal is still among the most powerful beings on the planet. Only a few approach their level in-game; Divayth Fyr, Hircine's various avatars, etc. Each of them lived for millenia improving their skills, magic and knowledge. But they were no longer capable of feats like Vivec freezing a chunk of the moon in place because Dagon threw it at him.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom