Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind defiling continues - Skywind

Space Insect

Arcane
How could you even copy Morrowind's dialogue system in the trash that is Skyrim? Are you supposed to go through talking animation after talking animation for every two lines of lore dump?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
How could you even copy Morrowind's dialogue system in the trash that is Skyrim? Are you supposed to go through talking animation after talking animation for every two lines of lore dump?

You can see the dialogue in one of the last videos. It looks like they trimmed and removed the "lore" topics and only left the critical lines intact. Since every line will be fully voiced, they couldn't really keep the original dialogue intact anyway - a lot of the lore entries don't sound even remotely like natural dialogue.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
More detail on the dialogues:

In Morrowind’s original release, dialogue was largely confined to text boxes, with only a small percentage of it voice acted. Skywind again aims high. Its ultimate goal is to have all lines of dialogue fully voiced. “Our biggest challenge is the sheer number of voice actors we’re going for,” voice acting lead Ben Iredale told me. “Unlike Bethesda’s situation, where they focus on a smaller cast of actors covering the majority of lines, we’re looking to have a pretty massive amount of unique voices to cover the roughly 40,000 lines of dialogue that are in Skywind. We think it is worth the extra effort especially since it is one of the benefits we have as a community project—there are so many dedicated fans ready to lend their voices.”

Skyrim’s world often comes close to a place that feels like home. At least until a guard tells you, yet again, about how their previous career as an adventurer was brought to a close by an arrow to the knee. Idle banter can make or break immersion in virtual worlds, especially those that support hundreds of hours of exploration.

For Skywind, Iredale says that a team of writers have crafted 9,000 in-game conversation lines between NPCs, giving each character their own essence of personality. The final release will include priests discussing the 36 lessons of Vivec, and merchants arguing over prices—little touches that breathe life into the world.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-skywind-is-recreating-a-modern-classic/

So at least a quarter of the dialogue lines will be new, in addition to all the original lines that have to be rewritten to accomodate full voice acting.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
20 bucks say the lines will be shit like every single "this mod is great!" mod's lines are shit.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
will the dungeons reworked into simple lines like in vanilla skyrim too? will the puzzles be equivalent to that kid toys that insert shapes into the correct holes?

Space Insect

Arcane
will the dungeons reworked into simple lines like in vanilla skyrim too? will the puzzles be equivalent to that kid toys that insert shapes into the correct holes?
To be fair, most dungeons in Morrowind were pretty linear. Also, puzzles were almost nonexistent except for a few exceptions. However, no puzzles is better than banal puzzles imo.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be fair, most dungeons in Morrowind were pretty linear. Also, puzzles were almost nonexistent except for a few exceptions. However, no puzzles is better than banal puzzles imo.
The one where you have to drown yourself was pretty clever. Well that one maybe is an exception

Turjan

Arcane
Most areas look completely over-decorated. Also, who thought having these retarded shadow-casting folds on every wall carpet was a good idea?

anus_pounder

Arcane
http://tesrenewal.com/

shittaku said:
Skywind, the ambitious mod which seeks to transplant The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind into the much more technologically advanced Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, is getting a public developer alpha release soon, according to its latest trailer.

No further details were revealed about this public release, although the descriptions said that more information will be released soon—what the trailer did have was footage showing off the mod's reworked assets, including some (really quite good-looking) landscapes, indoor areas and armor sets:

http://kotaku.com/new-trailer-for-morrowind-to-skyrim-mod-teases-public-r-1599608947

The skyrim water texture completely ruins the atmosphere.

Come back, friend. The Codex needs you. :(

Ayreos

Augur
I don't see a problem. A horrible Morrowind butchering by fans is still better than Skyrim and whatever other atrocity Bethesda is preparing for the market right now.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Ahh, yes. The good old "show a few scenery shots but don't show any gameplay or voice acting".

I dreamt I played an overhauled Morrowind, it was the best looking game ever made. It also had the worst, most broken voice acting of any videogame I had ever seen. I entered a poorly lit house, stole a shoe, and a disembodied voice was telling me "HEY". I asked "What?". He replied "NO". "You mean I cannot have it?" "NO". So I dropped the shoe back where it was, and I asked "Is it okay now?". "NO". "Are you going to kill me?" "NO". Then I realized the voice came from some deformed owner sitting on the steps of a nearby stair, barely visible.

And that was the part of the dream when I said "I cannot wait to tell the Codex about this".

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just listened to some of the voice acting for this and it actually sounds pretty good. I like when the voice actors have sexy foreign accents because- well, they're foreign. For best results when hearing the VA in Skywind, be sure to listen carefully to the voice acting in the PSX version of Grandia for comparison so you fully understand and appreciate decent or at least passable voice acting vs. voice acting so heinous that if ears had eyes you'd turn into stone.

typical user

Arbiter
I don't really know what Morrowind is all about and at this point I really don't care. I prefer Gothic.

Maybe with this mod I will get to know what people see in it or maybe I will watch some idiotic Let's Play to decide not to bother with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom