Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind defiling continues - Skywind

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
https://youtu.be/MqpRjwTp7Bs?t=5h23m49s

There are times to be faithful to the original work, and times when to take artistic license. The encyclopedic lines of Morrowind's NPC's were never meant to be voice acted - no one wants to listen to an NPC drone on for 40 seconds about a province outside the game world of no importance to the game.

I just see it as tremendous waste of effort. Condensing paragraph worth of text to a single line, one that doesn't sound like a bored VA reading from the encyclopedia, would've been better for what they're going for in an "updated" take on Morrowind. It goes back to what I said ages ago when I first commented about not knowing who Skywind is really made for other than to look good in modders' portfolios.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Look at Codex, advocating for dumbing down of Morrowind!

(I agree actually, it's just funny)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
OpenMW aside from multiplayer is never going to be worth migrating to. Skywind is somewhere between being kind of pointless and a blasphemy.

TR is the way to go.

Yosharian

Arcane

There are times to be faithful to the original work, and times when to take artistic license. The encyclopedic lines of Morrowind's NPC's were never meant to be voice acted - no one wants to listen to an NPC drone on for 40 seconds about a province outside the game world of no importance to the game.

That's hilarious. Like a world of autists.

Reminds me of the guy at university that was hanging around a group by me reciting random facts about our provincial capital.
Oh come on guys. It's not that bad.

Hardly 'defiling' Morrowind. Unless there's something else they're changing?

revealer

Augur
Why do graphics look so bland? Like all the color and contrast washed out. This alone makes it look bad. Reminds me of oblivion

ADL

Prophet
Why do graphics look so bland? Like all the color and contrast washed out. This alone makes it look bad. Reminds me of oblivion
Skyrim's color grading as a whole is terrible and I think the lighting system is responsible so you might be waiting for OpenMW: Skyrim for it to be fixed/replaced.
QIcRJ.jpg

latest

Sky_Solitude.jpg

revealer

Augur
check your memory. if oblivion ever had one thing which was vibrant and lively, was its palette.
I'm not tech savy so I'm not sure what it is exactly. Lighting or bloom or whatever, but it just looks pale, washed out.
maxresdefault.jpg

Morrowind looks way better to me, sharp, contrast or whatever is amazing:
ChTi_Vanilla_01.jpg

Of course, besides the whiting from distance fog.

Falksi

Arcane
Jesus fucking Christ, will these dumb cunts never learn? It's like watching 4 year olds hack at the Mona Lisa with crayons.

I think we need to coin a term for talentless hacks who take someone else's great work and apply modern tech to it in order to ruin it.

Skytards?

mkultra

Augur
I'm not tech savy so I'm not sure what it is exactly. Lighting or bloom or whatever, but it just looks pale, washed out.

Yeah.. i quite dislike the original lighting. with SE the lighting got a bit better, but not on pair with ENB (+ my flora mods ofc) ;
97291-1555424680-1475929857.jpeg

141-1-1401989079.jpg

2154-0-1478839330.jpg

2154-1610326821-541017587.png

2154-0-1506077494.jpg

141-0-1432278354.jpg

141-1-1390139970.jpg

Harthwain

Magister

I just see it as tremendous waste of effort. Condensing paragraph worth of text to a single line, one that doesn't sound like a bored VA reading from the encyclopedia, would've been better for what they're going for in an "updated" take on Morrowind. It goes back to what I said ages ago when I first commented about not knowing who Skywind is really made for other than to look good in modders' portfolios.
Would that be a remake, while the intent is to create a remaster?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This looks truly hideous. No soul or feeling of the original game at all. There's more to doing a remake than just upscaling textures and meshes. (poorly, in this case)

Codex Year of the Donut
wasting time on VA seems pointless when by the time this would get anywhere near completion they could just use synthetic voices

The project looks interesting, it seems that they are trying to bring a new life to the game by redesigning quests, dungeons and rewritting dialogue for NPCs, but I agree that the visuals could be better though.

This obviously won't replace the original Morrowind (we have OpenMW for that), but it might be an interesting spin on its ideas. The thing I just don't understand is the huge praise for this game here on the Codex, the quality of the original is on the same level of all games Bethesda has developed so far (mediocre, that is).

mkultra

Augur
Bethesda are clearly the best when it comes to this, nothing comes even close, or name it and let me have a laugh at it. But much of it comes down to the modding, their editor and tools which modders has created over the years.

People who love these games are people who really likes open world games (in the vein of Ultima 7 with NPC schedules / A.I, slight survival mechanics, weathers etc) + they're very moddable to the degree that you can customize it to infinity.

It's the perfect make-your-own-adventure games.

The base games are pretty meh. To me Bethesda has always released them as a type of example of what can be done, modders takes that and expands on it 100x, then it gets pretty interesting. Takes weeks or months to make it a good game though, so yes, not exactly for casuals..

mkultra

Augur
People who love these games are people who really likes open world games (in the vein of Ultima 7 with NPC schedules / A.I, slight survival mechanics, weathers etc)
you basically just described everything morrowind doesn't have

I never described MW, though i talked about their RPG's in general and for MW you're only right about the bad AI (this can be modded, to a degree, it's not on pair with the radiant A.I).

Last edited:

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Skywind feels like it's meant for gamers who cannot get into original Morrowind for whatever God forsaken reason, just so they can finally say they have played Morrowind.
I dunno, I think there are different experiences between playing the game like Skyrim clone and playing a completely different game. But then again these types of people have hard time adapting or learning.

Ravielsk

Magister
Aside from it currently looking pretty trash I seriously fail to see the point at this point in time. Few years ago I could at least perceive it as a effort to preserve Morrowind on a newer engine but with OPENMW being reasonably good as it is that just flies out the window. The whole VA thing is just another piece of nonsense that realistically should only come into play once you have the actual game done because otherwise its just halting development and burning money. Nevermind that if you need to change a line for whatever reason with voiced dialogue that simple text edit turns into a studio recording session.

It kinda reminds of these patreon scammers that declare they are making just a small side project visual novel only to then waste 4+ years making a 2 hour piece and blaming it at "redesigns" and "voice acting". Because god knows that in this day and age you simply cannot release a game and then later patch in some audio files. It would not shock me if Skywind was doing something similar because at this rate TES6 will be released before this "remake" gets a public beta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom