Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind is utter tripe

honko

Educated
What's with people who registered six years ago, and made a total of 21 posts in that entire time, most of them in the past few days? How did you even remember your email and/or password after so many years?

What is it with people who registered hardly a week or two ago going on like they're an authority on defending utter tripe?

What's with people who registered six years ago, and made a total of 21 posts in that entire time, most of them in the past few days? How did you even remember your email and/or password after so many years?

What is it with people who registered hardly a week or two ago going on like they're an authority on defending utter tripe?

Not only are you wrong about Morrowind, but in comparing it to tripe as if that's a bad thing you are also wrong about tripe which happens to be delicious.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
too much cringy pseudo-ironic faggotry in the thread about masculine anti-cliffracer struggle
An artist's depiction of Saint Jiub driving the cliff racers from Vvardenfell:

4v5WJwD.jpg

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
You are right on the money, honko . Morrowind is utter garbage, as is Oblivion. Bethesda only began making quality video games with Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Prior to those, they made utter shite, no wonder they didn't sell that well. Well, Oblivion did sell, mostly because it was reviewed like a masterpiece by magazine shills back then, it was a next gen game just as new consoles were releasing and didn't have many games to play, and it butchered its lore to make everything look like Lord of the Rings to ride on the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy popularity, kind of an unofficial LOTR open world RPG. And it has the quality of a licenced game anyway.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

At least you lurked two more years.

eli

Learned
Quality thread
yep, i finally understood why i liked morrowind so much, not because of the gameplay or the exploration but because of the plot.
thank god todd had made a continuation of the nerevarine prohecy in a skyrim dlc.
mYcuvDU2E62raEKEXJdWE6OxDh1DsCcNArwzno53iEjod4j8jCRqaEbvjcupMASan_8D3goz1_3bvyVlcZnEverTPRLBDHwGgQlhufDhg386h4EOn7FP93KwpDGSZ4oOL6rxslTSfcvlfD27z2vb58M3UqBTSm6zKXc8Rzmkw_c3O_6FUEpfw3BCX7nmWNFyHk700gMq7txDiLCbW6740nYnwYtSoMs6B40uBHvnGl6mxHPL9DFOZ2QKnYGnQiTNmh46Zl9Kkcnitptou6JVSuW0zcteqnL26ZVzDKiHSfML0viGNhfuNB0tkjI0CA5mQyaB2l3VZ0wr8WHq2LFPQ3nqkOntyxtcFbprlvfpuDaDIDGgFw6sErf0YtZX90kZRPFrC0r_Ged4jPYOiSv5fcklycRT6KWx7STv46qOSeEIpqjUzFh_JM8tslVsZHy9jLSa1aSh5JihJBXYX2Z2Xpjo8zetQ-y542FcBIhXZSRLLItDzk7kpQ8xY-s9iZggm-82qASeto0puCaL2BKLp6eP43eK1BQgH4sTZ4dTye1ApP1E-Dxu7YgIuKVQDXKYif22IPazYeU8C6fTVaejr7pgad2BRGA7pZEHo-QEOjPFSkN14QzI8rOzvAURNoW2Zi7kKjhjy-Zks4kv53Hszja1sKet-rj3H2c3MAchx4dvouv7JJHC9nbndViMhAl6g5AzykPSogJibw6HEzke33kLtY3OpMUtfq0oh-bXfya08JYHuddWxdTxI3-9pnIa-lI=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
how do cliff racers land or perch
I think they nest in cliffs. The question is, where are the cliffs? You have to mod those in as well.

I love Morrowind. Not as much as Arx or New Vegas, but for its many flaws had me believing I was a midget, cannibal elf, scaling the hierarchy of House Telvanni not through my own herculean efforts, but because these fucking wizards needed a pawn. I wish the wizards were the focus of the game. Vivec was so bad, I've always hated going there. You see the prerender and concept art for Vivec, that's when they must have realized how much they lost by building on consoles. No wonder you don't get off the boat in Vivec but in a swamp village.

Cunt Dickula!?

Morrowind is indeed utter tripe

The whole idea of it is quantity over quality. You could discard like half of all guild quests and the game wouldnt suffer from it.
90% of the game is just searching quest person and then doing a banal task that takes 5 seconds.

In the beginning you think that its because of the slow walking speed but later on when you have high speed, flying, long jumps and mark/recall you find out that you can now just reach the boring quests faster.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
You are right on the money, honko . Morrowind is utter garbage, as is Oblivion. Bethesda only began making quality video games with Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Prior to those, they made utter shite, no wonder they didn't sell that well. Well, Oblivion did sell, mostly because it was reviewed like a masterpiece by magazine shills back then, it was a next gen game just as new consoles were releasing and didn't have many games to play, and it butchered its lore to make everything look like Lord of the Rings to ride on the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy popularity, kind of an unofficial LOTR open world RPG. And it has the quality of a licenced game anyway.
Do me a favor and replay Oblivion. Take it easy, don't rush the main quest, try to get in-character and explore. Get some mods to polish up the graphics. Explore all the great cities, pick a favorite, buy a house there. Maybe get a camping mod then frolic through the West Weald and the Great Forest. I guarantee that you will change your opinion.

Vladimuar

Savant
Do me a favor and replay Oblivion. Take it easy, don't rush the main quest, try to get in-character and explore. Get some mods to polish up the graphics. Explore all the great cities, pick a favorite, buy a house there. Maybe get a camping mod then frolic through the West Weald and the Great Forest. I guarantee that you will change your opinion.
Take a turd and sprinkle it with confetti. Maybe spray perfume on it. You will see it's a flagrant diamond.

Zlaja

Arcane
Morrowind, unique elements and everything, is still your average fantasy story

It starts as an average "you're the chosen one" boring tripe, but ends up as something much more interesting and unique.

Imagine registering here in 2021 to defend utter TRIPE like morrowind

Imagine making a new Morrowind thread in 2021.

My point is that Morrowind's strengths overwhelmingly consist of non-gameplay elements

Exploration is one of the game's biggest strengths, and that counts as gameplay. Exploration is also one of the few elements which BOTH Morrowind and Gothic 1 & 2 excel at.

NPCs are more like Google Search engine than anything else. That's not exactly what I'd call a conversation, nor makes the game world feel more real

And yet, conversations feel way more real then in both Oblivion and Skyrim.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Take a turd and sprinkle it with confetti. Maybe spray perfume on it. You will see it's a flagrant diamond.
Who I was quoting is relevant. TemplarGR likes Skyrim, F4, F3, and I'm merely pointing out that the things which he likes in those games are also present in Oblivion, if he gives it the chance and tries to immerse himself. It's too over-saturated and the npcs look like potatoes, but there's mods for that. Once you get the game looking good, someone who likes Skyrim will likely enjoy Oblivion too.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the majority of Codexers who have maxed out Subterfuge when it comes to Skyrim/F4 played hours.

Beans00

Augur
Who I was quoting is relevant. TemplarGR likes Skyrim, F4, F3, and I'm merely pointing out that the things which he likes in those games are also present in Oblivion, if he gives it the chance and tries to immerse himself. It's too over-saturated and the npcs look like potatoes, but there's mods for that. Once you get the game looking good, someone who likes Skyrim will likely enjoy Oblivion too.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the majority of Codexers who have maxed out Subterfuge when it comes to Skyrim/F4 played hours.

Templar is literally a low quality troll. He's just trying to trigger people rather then discuss actual flaws with morrowind.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Exploration is one of the game's biggest strengths, and that counts as gameplay. Exploration is also one of the few elements which BOTH Morrowind and Gothic 1 & 2 excel at.

Is it, though?
There's nothing of interest in Morrowind's dungeon, for the most part. And by "most part", I mean 95% of them. Dungeons are usually boring as fuck; the occasional rare equipment piece doesn't turn a bad dungeon into a good one.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Each character I encountered had so no artistic soul or creativity into their personality. They were simply empty shells there for text exposition.

Are you a NEET? With how many live H. sapiens specimens have you interacted with during your lifetime? Because I can only assume the answer is - not many. The vast majority of people are exactly like this, that is they seem to be like this, and for some "strange" reason that is fine and works. But not if it's in a game!

Morrowind portrays NPCs brilliantly, they are exactly what one can expect from most people.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Each character I encountered had so no artistic soul or creativity into their personality. They were simply empty shells there for text exposition.

Are you a NEET? With how many live H. sapiens specimens have you interacted with during your lifetime? Because I can only assume the answer is - not many. The vast majority of people are exactly like this, that is they seem to be like this, and for some "strange" reason that is fine and works. But not if it's in a game!

Morrowind portrays NPCs brilliantly, they are exactly what one can expect from most people.

I haven't met many people who introduce themselves as "I am {name}, {occupation}."
Why do Morrowind fanboys have such a hard time admitting the game's dialogue and NPCs are absolute horseshit?

Zibniyat

Arcane
I haven't met many people who introduce themselves as "I am {name}, {occupation}."

Hmmm, maybe Morrowind's NPCs aren't as realistic as I had believed them to be... since they seem to have greater depth!

Why do Morrowind fanboys have such a hard time admitting the game's dialogue and NPCs are absolute horseshit?

You assume much, too much, about someone from a single post on a certain topic. Fanboy? You mean someone who will uncritically praise something and pretend how it has no flaws? Well then that cannot be me.

Putting hyperbole aside a bit (but only a bit), most generic NPCs in almost all games are atrociously shallow. At least in the case of Morrowind they serve a purpose as walking encyclopedias, which I find good enough. Most real people, having time to do so, are quite willing to talk about history and current events at length, one only needs to gently push them into that direction. I most certainly prefer NPCs who can talk about great many topics to those who just give you short-sentence response from a couple of predefined ones.

Now, a proper argument against Morrowind's NPCs is that there aren't many (or none at all) which have detailed, lengthy quests attached to them with proper choices and consequences. However, whilst proper, it isn't absolute. You see, unlike most games, Morrowind approaches these things (pertaining to NPCs) from a "greater to lesser" perspective: Morrowind has a world embroiled in current apocalyptic and prophesized events, with intricate lore and history behind this world, with some characters nearly "greater than life" (the Tribunal Three for instance), and has detailed relationships described between various factions within said world (the Houses, the guilds, others). This "greater" part then serves to imprint purpose and being on "lesser" parts which are individual NPCs. After spending months of in-game time, reading through rare books, talking to various NPCs and doing other activities, soaking up the interesting and otherworldly both history and present of Morrowind, meeting such persons like Vivec, or Dagoth Ur, or Divayth Fyr, or Yagrum Bagarn - even when not followed by some great quest or interesting side-quests done at their bidding - I felt and experienced some greatness, mystery and beauty of it. To meet such an array of so unique, ancient and essentially constitutive elements of the entire world of Elder Scrolls was an experience far above so many others in so many other games which only ever content themselves with presenting mentally immature NPCs with various emotional issues which I am supposedly there to fix (yawn).

This "greater to lesser", this imprinting of uniqueness and greatness of the world onto the characters of Morrowind is what salvages it from any, and objective, criticism pertaining to its indeed too static and seemingly "lifeless" characters when taken out of the world of Morrowind. Morrowind's NPCs are given life by its own world, not the other way around. For people whose personality is more attuned to experiencing the life of a world through the life of its characters it indeed can and does look rigid and difficult to appreciate, but for some others it is a complete opposite. But I've never felt its NPCs as being static or boring in themselves, since I looked at them as part of the world itself, and they fit very nicely in it.

This is why banal, couple of sentences short "criticism" (but in reality an equivalent of monkey shit-flinging) of Morrowind is so distasteful and pitiful, because it deliberately and falsely tries to portray its criteria of what can be good as the only ones which are proper and true. Well, as you can see, some of us reject that arrogance.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom