Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind was massive decline and should be considered as such

MWaser

Arbiter
How this thread started:
"Morrowind was already the decline from Daggerfall's unreasonable ambition of simulating an entire world that could have been built up further with slow improvements to the functionality of simulation features interspersed with dungeon crawling, but instead of codified the genre of open world freeform RPG that led us into the further decline of Oblivion and Skyrim, which everyone on this forum already hates. Open your eyes and see that it was the decline of Morrowind in its goals that could only naturally progress into further deceline of the next games!"

How it's going:
"Morrowind is the shittiest game in the Elder Scrolls series, literally irredeemable garbage compared to fun and well-structured games like Oblivion. The only people who care about it are mushroom faggots!"

It also seems to have amazingly picked up the pace of shittalking once that shift happened. So many pages of shitposts to mentally dismiss each day.

Codex Year of the Donut
How this thread started:
"Morrowind was already the decline from Daggerfall's unreasonable ambition of simulating an entire world that could have been built up further with slow improvements to the functionality of simulation features interspersed with dungeon crawling, but instead of codified the genre of open world freeform RPG that led us into the further decline of Oblivion and Skyrim, which everyone on this forum already hates. Open your eyes and see that it was the decline of Morrowind in its goals that could only naturally progress into further deceline of the next games!"

How it's going:
"Morrowind is the shittiest game in the Elder Scrolls series, literally irredeemable garbage compared to fun and well-structured games like Oblivion. The only people who care about it are mushroom faggots!"

It also seems to have amazingly picked up the pace of shittalking once that shift happened. So many pages of shitposts to mentally dismiss each day.
are you pro or anti mushroom

MWaser

Arbiter
How this thread started:

How it's going:

are you pro or anti mushroom
me irl:
YDJdtXk.png

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Reminder that Kirkbride is a hack, and that Morrowind is nothing but digested refuse from the pages of Etidorhpa.

PhlnM4K.png
By this reasoning, Etidorhpa is nothing but a junkie's copycat of Journey to the Center of the Earth (published 30 years earlier and already sporting mushroom forests, strange reptiles and hollow earth).

MWaser

Arbiter
Reminder that Kirkbride is a hack, and that Morrowind is nothing but digested refuse from the pages of Etidorhpa.

PhlnM4K.png
By this reasoning, Etidorhpa is nothing but a junkie's copycat of Journey to the Center of the Earth (published 30 years earlier and already sporting mushroom forests, strange reptiles and hollow earth).
Every work of fiction is either the Epic of Gilgamesh, or a rip-off.

Brancaleone

Liturgist

PhlnM4K.png
And Gilgamesh as well certainly didn't sprouted suddenly from nothingness.

MWaser

Arbiter

PhlnM4K.png
And Gilgamesh as well certainly didn't sprouted suddenly from nothingness.
Yeah but you can't prove anything if it wasn't written down.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
All artistic endeavors are derivative. The question is, do you draw your inspiration from Etidorhpa, the Book of the Law and Mandaean priestly scrolls, or from the LoTR movies, Disneyland and White Castle Burgers?

Valdetiosi

Scholar
I don't know about you, but Morrowind is huge incline for me for having maybe the most tolerable combat ever.
Decided yesterday to record for fun to see just how much it takes to kill mudcrab on each 3 Elder Scrolls games on maximum difficulty. Used Nord who specializes on Axe.
And well, I'm just finding it amusing the Hero of Skyrim gets scraped few times on clad iron armor and dies instantly, where as Nerevarine can tank a hit from it.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Here's a blast from the past, from 2003: The Year in Review. Oh how the times have changed.

During the summer of this year, the people at Bethesda Softworks saw fit to inflict upon us another expansion to The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Bloodmoon has you investigating werewolves on the snowy island of--oh, who gives a shit? It's the same old hopelessly dull Morrowind gameplay. You run around fairly pretty countryside beating the tar out of hordes of stupid cliff racers doing completely pointless quests that involve murdering people for no real reason and occasionally 'talking' to the walking search engines the game calls NPCs. Morrowind is a terrible game and the expansions for it don't seem to fix any of that horror.

EvilWolf

Learned
Here's a blast from the past, from 2003: The Year in Review. Oh how the times have changed.

During the summer of this year, the people at Bethesda Softworks saw fit to inflict upon us another expansion to The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Bloodmoon has you investigating werewolves on the snowy island of--oh, who gives a shit? It's the same old hopelessly dull Morrowind gameplay. You run around fairly pretty countryside beating the tar out of hordes of stupid cliff racers doing completely pointless quests that involve murdering people for no real reason and occasionally 'talking' to the walking search engines the game calls NPCs. Morrowind is a terrible game and the expansions for it don't seem to fix any of that horror.
At this point I'm convinced developers keep steering into the decline and releasing shit games so people think the older steaming pile of shit tastes slightly better than the brand new steaming pile of shit.
t. Pro Mushroom

Robotigan

Learned
Here's a blast from the past
The reason older games have a better reputation than more recent ones is because everyone left talking about the game are fans. People who didn't like it as much moved on and aren't around to hold the game accountable for its flaws.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I didn't play Morrowind and Oblivion until 2010, beat the Daggerfall main quest a few years ago, and played Skyrim when it first came out. So I played the last three ES games within a few years of each other. Morrowind is extremely flawed, but I still like it. I've literally seen every notable RPG shit on in this forum at some point. It's almost like games have a lot of flaws.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

RPG Codex's picks for best CRPGs of 2002

Morrowind

Many have lauded this game's accomplishments, and deservedly so. Its predecessor, Daggerfall, was a mixed bag. It offered a similar kind of freedom, but was plagued by bugs and a general feeling of pointlessness. Morrowind offers a huge, breathing game world with gorgeous graphics and a whole lot to do. On top of it all, the game is very, very mod-able which adds to the fun. Of course the game isn't perfect: interface flaws, steep system requirements and a less than perfect dialogue system all detract from the fun. The fact still remains, however, that Morrowind is without a doubt one of the most amazing accomplishments of the year.

Morrowind
Probably a more obvious choice than my first two, Morrowind is a game that, for me, both promised and delivered. It is by no means perfect, but it is definitely impressive. In sharp contrast to my other choices, Morrowind comes complete with stunning graphics, but past that is an immersive world, full of things to do. So full in fact, that I am still playing, as no doubt are many others. The combat could be better, the dialogue system could be greatly improved, and I could certainly use a more powerful PC to go with it, but I still often lose an afternoon or two wandering around this vast game.

Morrowind
If there was one word for which to describe Morrowind best, that word would have to be 'alive'. Morrowind is a game that comes close to fulfilling my vision of a simulation of a real political world, filled with real geopolitics, real rivalries and real outcomes to decisions made by the player. That very aspect of being 'alive' would also cover the atmosphere in the game's well designed environments, its inhabitants and the plethora of events that come to shape the game's evolving world. As with all things fair, I must say that Morrowind is by no means perfect, but it does an outstanding effort at making the attempt.

3 out of 4 Codex reviewers selected Morrowind as among their top three CRPGs of 2002, and overall Morrowind was second only to Geneforge. +M

Codex Year of the Donut
good post from DU, thanks for joining the anti-mushroom team and simultaneously endorsing Fallout 3
Morrowind was fun as an exploration game. Too linear main plot for my liking. Dress-up was cool (especially with a castle mod to store all your stuff). The dialogue system needs to be revamped though. I hated sifting through 50 dialogue options looking for the one that screamed "quest".

A larger variety of monsters would've been nice (not just Cliff Racers). Better yet if the animals didn't all attack you on site. I can go outside without the local Magpies fighing me to the death so I don't see why everything in Morrowind has to.

The game lost all point once I'd become God-like and finished the main quest. After that there was no interest in encountering "yet another Daedra temple" or "yet another tomb with skeletons".

In short, it was nice to look at. I don't care much about "Morrwind 2". With Bethesda all cashed up, I'd really like to see them create a worthy Fallout RPG with a main plot that's not as straight as an arrow. I'm confident they'll make it look nice, I'm concerned what they're going to do with the dialogue however or if there'll be dialogue in any form other than a wikipedia. Hopefully they'll have a chat with Troika and nick some ideas on dialogue trees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom