Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind was massive decline and should be considered as such

Tihskael

Learned
I didn't bother going through the thread and I will say I am fond of all the three latest Elder Scrolls titles. The thing that I still like about Morrowind is that it pretty much forces you to get a sense of the world, otherwise you will be lost and it won't be an enjoyable experience at all. Those wikipedia entries, journals, books, factions add so much life to the world and coming across different sceneries, cultures, architecture across different parts of the map is refreshing. Oblivion's world is certainly blander but it was still fun to roam around through its dense forests in a medieval European setting. It also features some of the best quests that Bethesda ever implemented in any of their games- TES and Fallout and it tops it all up with a very good DLC. Skyrim's world certainly has more intrigue than Oblivion and it is a pretty good hiking sim. Its easy to lose hours in the beautiful open world with Jeremy Soule probably at his best. The gameplay loop is simple yet addictive (same as Fallout 4) which somehow even industry veterans fail to get right (Outer Worlds). And if you want to scratch off that "hardcore RPG" itch, you can always try Enderal.

Falksi

Arcane
I didn't bother going through the thread and I will say I am fond of all the three latest Elder Scrolls titles. The thing that I still like about Morrowind is that it pretty much forces you to get a sense of the world, otherwise you will be lost and it won't be an enjoyable experience at all. Those wikipedia entries, journals, books, factions add so much life to the world and coming across different sceneries, cultures, architecture across different parts of the map is refreshing. Oblivion's world is certainly blander but it was still fun to roam around through its dense forests in a medieval European setting. It also features some of the best quests that Bethesda ever implemented in any of their games- TES and Fallout and it tops it all up with a very good DLC. Skyrim's world certainly has more intrigue than Oblivion and it is a pretty good hiking sim. Its easy to lose hours in the beautiful open world with Jeremy Soule probably at his best. The gameplay loop is simple yet addictive (same as Fallout 4) which somehow even industry veterans fail to get right (Outer Worlds). And if you want to scratch off that "hardcore RPG" itch, you can always try Enderal.

You clearly mean well, but are also still clearly learning.

What the Outer Worlds is to you is what Fallout 4 and Skyrim are to Morrowind and Daggerfall vets.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Outer Worlds is what happens when an aged Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky have become convinced that the better-selling AAA games they've seen outsell their own masterpieces over the years are genuinely better games, and on top of that they get saddled with a talentless team of modern Californians who don't understand anything about game design, but that's the best nu-Obsidian can provide them with because all the talented people already left the company.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Outer Worlds is what happens when an aged Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky have become convinced that the better-selling AAA games they've seen outsell their own masterpieces over the years are genuinely better games, and on top of that they get saddled with a talentless team of modern Californians who don't understand anything about game design, but that's the best nu-Obsidian can provide them with because all the talented people already left the company.

Post modern Californians, not modern, but I get what you are saying.

Back in 2019 I gave my own analysis before a lot was known about the project:
Their goal from day one was targeting both casual and hardcore RPG gamers with their "dream project". In other words, it was doomed before it started.

I remember a couple of years ago when Tim Cain spoke at that conference and was playing both sides of the table like a weasel. Assuring hardcore gamers that it will be an old school RPG in its core, while promising casuals it will be easy to get into. Obviously, they wanted a massive, consolidated target audience for their retirement project. Casual *and* hardcore gamers, PC *and* console, mainstream success *and* cult success.

Of course, that is a mathematical impossibility. Moving out of the niche hurts RPGs, because you're dropping passion for populism and it compromises everything.

Tihskael

Learned
Hear it from the man himself

Kdmf5-SAeVOrVrLjht0SULvzj1k4USfnOju_T5Y9AKc.png

:kingcomrade:

Funposter

Arcane
Skyrim and FO4 are the lifelong culmination of algorithm-centric game design (wet dream of Todd Howard)

Read the Morrowind development history, guy hated everything that was original and hand crafted

Is this true, though? Todd has stated that he wanted to move away from the procedural world design of Le Fay and towards something more like Ultima. I'm very skeptical of Polygon's "Morrowind: an oral history" if that's what you're referring to. 12,000 words of Todd and MK blowing smoke up each other's arses and eight entire mentions of the guy who wrote more than half of the faction questlines in the game, six of them devoted to the day he got into an argument with Ken Rolston and quit the project.

Robotigan

Learned
There is absolutely nothing worth a damn to find in Oblivion/Skyrim and a majority of games that came after Morrowind
There is absolutely nothing worth a damn to find in Codex and majority of contrarian RPG forums. All the agree, brofist, and incline reacts in the world can't change the fact that this is a dumb fucking take. Like a major reason Codex's influence is waning is because you guys just insist on staking yourselves out on the most extreme fringes of RPG opinions. You can't just say Oblivion/Skyrim are casualized experiences, that's not a shocking take anymore. You can't say they're forgettable or even bad games, please every Codexian knows that. No, now in order to fit in you must say that the games have no redeemable qualities whatsoever. I bet I come back in a couple years and you'll be all ranting about how Oblivion/Skyrim's traitorous deceit lost Germany WWI as you shovel game discs into ovens.

MWaser

Arbiter
There is absolutely nothing worth a damn to find in Oblivion/Skyrim and a majority of games that came after Morrowind
There is absolutely nothing worth a damn to find in Codex and majority of contrarian RPG forums. All the agree, brofist, and incline reacts in the world can't change the fact that this is a dumb fucking take. Like a major reason Codex's influence is waning is because you guys just insist on staking yourselves out on the most extreme fringes of RPG opinions. You can't just say Oblivion/Skyrim are casualized experiences, that's not a shocking take anymore. You can't say they're forgettable or even bad games, please every Codexian knows that. No, now in order to fit in you must say that the games have no redeemable qualities whatsoever. I bet I come back in a couple years and you'll be all ranting about how Oblivion/Skyrim's traitorous deceit lost Germany WWI as you shovel game discs into ovens.
On the off-chance you're not trolling and this is a genuine mistake: The comment in-context was referring specifically to there being no meaningful or unique in-game objects to find in Oblivion/Skyrim and most RPGs because of either level-scaling or linear progression of available items. Not about these games having "LITERALLY 0 REDEEMING QUALITIES" as in "nothing interesting to find". I myself have written out about a few redeemable traits to be found in Oblivion, bit less so Skyrim, in a full analysis thread.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_British_throne#Current_line_of_succession

There are more than 60 people recognized in the line of succession to the British throne. How is the Septim empire completely fucked and without an heir just because Uriel + his sons died?

They retconed this all cause they wanted to make LOTR game without paying a dime to Tolkien Estates Comrade, hence why we were promised the Rome mixed with Vietnam and got instead XVI century vaguely Tudorian England instead. They were other lines of Septims mentioned in books and also families who could claim descent and right to throne from the Remans and Alessia but instead we got Oblivion gates closing minin-game galore and simpletons jazzing about Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean voice acting mind that Martin Septim was one of best PC in elder scrolls no doubt though more interesting than Doovafag but shame we were only able to play as his side kick some zoomer who got crazy in the end, at least Nevararine went on expedition to Akavir was hoping that TES will be about him returning with Uriel V in tow and army of Dragons or Dragon Guards but alas... We had to Role play as smelly iliterate snowback ancestor of rusty_shackleford instead.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Todd and Pete Hines shat on everything MK and Rolston did. Carofano is a compliant cuck.

It is an interesting paradox that Morrowind saved Bethesda from bankrupcy, and was a great game, only to enable Oblivion which almost single handedly caused the decline of CRPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom