Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind was massive decline and should be considered as such

FriendlyMerchant

let me know when daggerfall can do this

There aren't very many mods or modders for Unity. But it probably can be done there based on what mods are already there.

Look at the banner at 5:25. Not only it stands out less in the room (which goes against the art direction decision of OG devs), but it also is made of different material. Original seems to be made of cloth, remaster made it into the papyrus banner.

This seems to be the gateway for arbitrary changes for the sake of adding tech modders though was impressive. Well at least it may take financial benefits of making official remasters.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Look at the banner at 5:25. Not only it stands out less in the room (which goes against the art direction decision of OG devs), but it also is made of different material. Original seems to be made of cloth, remaster made it into the papyrus banner.
If you'll notice, it's not just AI making sweeping changes. That's just the first stage. There had to be user input to finish things, and everything can be edited.

So, yeah, modders who change stuff for the sake of changing it will keep doing so. But nothing is stopping a modder from creating something that's faithful to the original either. This is just a shortcut to doing either one quickly.

Regardless, I would say this is a step up from the hundreds of texture packs that already get released, which invariably look awful and suck up framerate.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
i look forward to being tagged by you in every thread from now on, you butthurt moron
You seem perturbed. This is the only thread I've tagged you in, Ratto.

I just thought you'd like to see some more of that AI snake oil stuff. :M

Zibniyat

Arcane

Looks like shit. A brownish-yellow shit. I thought we were over that colour "palette" of the late 2000s and early 2010s.

The colour palette is altered for the worse (much more brown and yellow where it was not before), scene composition is now completely different because it is much more bright everywhere you look at (has it not occured to them that if developers of the original game had wanted a scene to be brightly lit they were very well capable of doing so before?), and while I will say that on its own the upscaled textures look acceptable, it is still too small a sample for me to pass a final judgement.

Once more modern developers (and lots of "gamers") are clueless as to what made older games so great, and are throwing GRAPHICS as a solution to a problem that has nothing whatsoever to do with graphical fidelity in the first place. The most aggravating thing for sure is altering lighting, which ruins scene composition and even worse often times damages the whole atmosphere of the game. Quite like how mods that remove the fog in Morrowind, allowing you to see almost everything in the distance, make a good job of destroying a measure of mystery of the island that is Vvardenfell and are sabotaging the dvelopers' intention of trying to portray the island as larger than it is through precisely that sort of visage. Not to mention that having fog might as well be a kind of normal thing for a fantasy island like Vvardenfell, with its still *active* volcano possibly spewing out ash every now and then.

All in all, as expected, this technology fails replacing genuine human creativity.​

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
All in all, as expected, this technology fails replacing genuine human creativity.​
Except it *is* human creativity. That's the point of the video. That these are different tools for human modders to bring older games up to modern standards faster.

The end product he shows is the result of his editing using the tools, not AI alone.

It's not about merely clicking a button and having the AI do everything. They even point out the lighting problems at 2:57 and show how you can go about fixing them, or adding volumetric fog etc.

This is what people don't seem to understand about AI generation: it's a tool for artists. The only ones expecting it to completely take over artists' jobs are reddit and those people strawmanning it in order to argue against its utility.

Not that it isn't likely to cost people their jobs though. But that's more a supply and demand thing than a super-AI thing.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Don't call me a luddite for not being wowed by another tool being made to graphically butcher Morrowind.
I'm calling you a luddite mockingly, since you're fine with technology streamlining things like communication, but cry about it when it might make modding video games faster, easier and no longer the sole domain of autists.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Some comparison screenshots from the video above:​

LOtMMiP.png

5jRILdl.png

JCbxm1W.png

mOZpg7D.png

stthkFC.png

Cqug0zd.png

jZOldEJ.png

9lmAPjr.png

First, altering textures is unavoidably altering the creative vision of the original developers, which means that a game altered in such a way is no longer true to its original, and this in turn has repercussions on the overall aesthetics and the quality of the game; obviously, this goes beyond simple "upscaling" of textures which may retain the original look, but are simply of greater resolution and clarity. However, this particular point can be put aside for now, and we can focus exclusively on what this technology brings us in terms of graphical presentation, or more importantly - in terms of the overall aesthetics.

1. Virtually every single instance of the "RTX ON" "enhanced" scene shows that everything is covered in shades of yellow and brown, and occasionally orange and other similar colours. This yellowish-brown "filter", because it very obviously amounts to being a filter and nothing else, is so intensive, that it drowns every other colour present. Take a look at the first screenshot for instance: without RTX we have grey floor, brownish walls, red and purple table sheet, white (silvery?) cutlery, light green (azure?) candles, brown and white floor carpet, green (leftmost), brown (left) and brown-red (center) wall tapestries, among other things. And what do we have with "RTX ON"? Almost everything is of brown and yellow coulour, with *sometimes* other colours managing to get through (mostly red in the case of floor carpet). This can be seen in all the other instances and scenes as well. Horrendous.

2. The last pair of screenshots, showing a large interior with stairs, looks crispy-clear in the original, whilst the "RTX ON" causes the whole scene to become blurry, foggy and simply messy; in addition to the yellowish-brown filter of course.

So what does this technology *actually* achieves, in terms of aesthetics? Quite simply, it achieves the look of such disgustingly-looking games like the first Gears of War, with everything looking like shit, mud and piss. Not only is the colour palette reduced to a couple of colours, but everything is also blurry. Well, congratulations Nvidia! With the resources of a large, successful corporation, and with all the modern advancements in graphical processing, you've managed to create something that looks worse than a game made 20 years ago. Truly an achievement only a complete imbecile can be proud of, which I have no doubt many of modern-day developers, gamers and others are. Otherwise we would have gotten a few Morrowinds by now, but instead here we are incapable of creating something at least on its level and resorting to pitiful attempts at "enhancing" it, failing miserably as expected.

Final verdict: it is shit.

MWaser

Arbiter
Yeah like Morrowind could use various visual enhancements because by default you can see how outdated it is, but I think it's fair to say the "RTX remake" looks messy and artificial and not like an actual well made modern game.
Like the seam-covered floor and janky carpet are the most jarring pieces on the original while everything looks mostly fine, and this kind of complete makeover changes a lot of things that give it a weird look (especially what's with the yellow everywhere?)
Also it has that classic case of "overtextured" material where every stone surface has 50 billion visible scratches and shapes like it's the most rough-cut stone they could find (especially noticeable at the stairs).

All that aside, even if it actually did look amazing on its own, just imagine the whiplash of walking around with with Morrowind's engine average animation fluidity on your character and other characters and old-school camera. It would look quite comedic.

Alex

Arcane
(...snip)

1. Virtually every single instance of the "RTX ON" "enhanced" scene shows that everything is covered in shades of yellow and brown, and occasionally orange and other similar colours. This yellowish-brown "filter", because it very obviously amounts to being a filter and nothing else, is so intensive, that it drowns every other colour present. Take a look at the first screenshot for instance: without RTX we have grey floor, brownish walls, red and purple table sheet, white (silvery?) cutlery, light green (azure?) candles, brown and white floor carpet, green (leftmost), brown (left) and brown-red (center) wall tapestries, among other things. And what do we have with "RTX ON"? Almost everything is of brown and yellow coulour, with *sometimes* other colours managing to get through (mostly red in the case of floor carpet). This can be seen in all the other instances and scenes as well. Horrendous.

(snip...)​

I thought the change in tonality could be a result of a different lightning model. Like, the lights themselves are coloured yellow (the colour of the flames) and thus by casting them as such in the scene, everything ends up being coloured like that, maybe?

Zibniyat

Arcane
I thought the change in tonality could be a result of a different lightning model. Like, the lights themselves are coloured yellow (the colour of the flames) and thus by casting them as such in the scene, everything ends up being coloured like that, maybe?

Well, whatever it is, it looks not only ugly, but unrealistic as well. And I'm not talking about "real life realism" here, although even from that point of view this looks bad. I'm talking about believability. Morrowind is a pretty austere place, but not as bland and colourless as this "thing" wants it to be.​

Seethe

Arbiter

Well, congratulations Nvidia! With the resources of a large, successful corporation, and with all the modern advancements in graphical processing, you've managed to create something that looks worse than a game made 20 years ago. Truly an achievement only a complete imbecile can be proud of, which I have no doubt many of modern-day developers, gamers and others are. Otherwise we would have gotten a few Morrowinds by now, but instead here we are incapable of creating something at least on its level and resorting to pitiful attempts at "enhancing" it, failing miserably as expected.

Final verdict: it is shit.
That's the worst part innit? People will look at this and think it's great. Muh rendering, muh detailed textures! And that's it.

DM-1wHOVAAAxu_I.jpg

I want to see some characters too. Imagine the clashing of styles. You can see the mentality that made this into a reality, and that is the ENB and SweetFX mania, especially for the TES games, which always looked horrid. People seem to enjoy lens flares, and so much depth of field that would make an myopic octogenarian lady blush.

Harthwain

Magister
I think it's the lighting that makes the scenes look very egyptian and give a different vibe from the original ones, because I never thought about Egypt when playing Morrowind.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Some comparison screenshots from the video above:​
stthkFC.png

Cqug0zd.png

2. The last pair of screenshots, showing a large interior with stairs, looks crispy-clear in the original, whilst the "RTX ON" causes the whole scene to become blurry, foggy and simply messy; in addition to the yellowish-brown filter of course.
also the technology seems to add candles and grandma's jewelry case to tables

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
These discussions always end up with retards complaining about "muh original vision" while talking about a game expressedly designed with mod support in mind. Almost as if the devs themselves acknowledged that their "original vision" wasn't final...
And it mesmerizes me that people really think that comparison makes any sense, because what we are seeing is not "the technology". It's one result of using the technology. Another result could make certain Codexers wet their pants. It's not the technology, it's how you use it. Just like how many mods are total dogshit, and many other mods are fantastic. And yet, they are all made with the same tools.

And yeah, the reason the game looks like shit in that video is because it will inevitably look totally different to how it looked like in 2002. Even if you keep the textures and assets exactly the same, realistic (or even artistic) lighting will make for vastly different scenes. What gives clarity to these old games is that lighting is pretty shit so everything is easily recognizable. It's why mods like darker nights or darker interiors are a hit or miss. Some people love them for the added realism, some hate them because it makes the games harder to play.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom