Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind: Worth a second look?

Lumpy

Arcane
Oh, right, use Galsiah's character development. It's made by Galsiah.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
I don't know about mods, but it was a good game in my opinion.
The setting in particular was very good, the story was decent (and logical :D), the graphic design was pretty awesomesauce, the "dialogue" text was also decent, although not great, and the quests ranged from awful to great (specifically, the dwarves one).
As for the factions, they were very diverse and should in theory have allowed good roleplaying, however the game was designed so that you would play several of them.

I agree - I don't understand why Morrowind gets such a bad rap.

Art design/setting is fantastic and unique, main quest is decent, has a large amount of quests (varying in quality), it is really open ended, and it has a nice amount of lore in the form or quests and the many books scattered around.

Of course it had it's bad points such as generic NPCs, dull combat, some boring quests, the ugliest face models I've seen, and that you could join all (I think, don't remember 100%) the factions/guilds. But you CAN just restrict yourself to one, don't see why not.

I only used a few mods but I don't even remember them at this point. I used one that replaced all the hideous low texture faces with some really great ones - Rhedd's Heads I believe it was called, and one that replaced the bodies and added nude models (for realism) - Better Bodies. I also used one that extended the view distance and one that added lights to windows at night (kinda stupid Bethesda left out THAT little detail).

As for gameplay changing mods - I tried Adventures for a bit and I recall liking it but can't seem to remember if I finished the main quest with it or not.

All I can say is give it another chance and play it with both expansions. They add more interesting quests to the game along with new scenery and somewhat more "lively" NPCs. Taken together it makes for a very impressive and believable setting with lots to do if you can actually "get into" the lore and the world around you.

But I'm a bit torn as to how I feel about Morrowind. If anything, witih me it won HUGE points for it's immersiveness alone. I think the alien landscape, the music, the muted color pallete, the weather effects, the size of the world, that to me was it's TRULY UNIQUE contribution to RPGdom.

But it fails in the roleplaying department in that nothing you do really affects the world around you and you aren't given many opportunities to make decisions aside from YES or NO. And your Persuasion skill only decides whether an NPC will talk to you more openly or not since you're not given many dialogue options. Still, it was a lot better than Oblivion - maybe it was just the use of a dialogue tree system, maybe not but it certainly felt dumbed down in Oblivion.

Section8

Cipher
I agree - I don't understand why Morrowind gets such a bad rap.

Because there's no game. There's a fantastically realised fantasy world that is a departure from the usual fare, there's endless content to experience as you wander around Vvardenfell and its islets. But there's no real gameplay to speak of. Combat? Stealth? Diplomacy? Magery? Technically they're all present, but none of them bring anything worthwhile to the table.

There is a mod called Children Mod or something at mymods or something... the link, which was mentioned before.

Anyway, its kind of harder to install, but you wont have any problems, if you follow the instructions, i have already like 14 mods installed and i am planning to install more and more like a whore, that was a rhyme. And these words are definitely true: Bugs can be fixed but shitty design is forever. The mods can boost your RPG-experience, but you will probably come across error messages during playing the game, but otherwise its a pretty fine game with the mods.

crakkie

Arcane
Steer clear of mods that destroy the insect-based fauna of Morrowind, which is one of few things that make it interesting.

The fish- and bird-based mods are good and fill up a mostly empty landscape, but the wilderness and Giants mods (besides looking like crap) turn Morrowind's somewhat unique environment into Oblivion's stock fantasy. If they had chickens and cows on Vvardenfell, they wouldn't be eating non-perishable insect pastes like "Kwama Cuttle" and "Scrib Jelly"(whose odor and consistency are left to the player to imagine), would they?

It's fun for what it is. There are good points and bad points.

Good

-It's really not all that bad on the exploration front. You really can find some nifty stuff in dungeons and using stuff like levitation and swimming yeilds even more goodies.

-The lore, backstory, art design, and atmosphere are absolutely amazing. Not as great as Planescape, but good.

-Awesome amounts of freedom in designing a character....a combat or stealth character that is.

-Tons of content with a bunch of quests. There's even a few choices and consequences, and some inter-faction connections, namely the Great Houses and the connections between the Thieves Guild and Fighters Guild.

-There is a nifty backdoor way of beating the main quest. I guess that's better than nothing.

The In-Between

-Lots of brown stuff and drab colors. I like this, a lot of people don't.

-Combat is real-time clickfest based on stats. Better than Oblivion as stats matter, but the combat can become a chore if all you do is melee.

-It uses a mana-point magic system that doesn't have mana regeneration. I liked it, but a lot of people hated it.

The Bad

-The quests are numerous but a ton of them suck. At least 60 percent of them are either Fed-Ex quests or "go here; kill this" quests with no options available.

-A ton of quests give terrible directions to some cave out in the middle of nowhere. Some even give blatantly wrong ones. Better directions would have been nice.

-Dialogue, if you can call it that, sucks. Not as bad as Oblivion, but that isn't saying much. Wiki-people.

-Anything can be done far better by magic than anything else except maybe damage dealing. Sneaking is made obsolete by illusion, lockpicking by alteration, speech by illusion, mercantile by illusion, and such.

That's all on the vanilla game. You could probably fix up some of those problems with mods, but some you can't.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions... thank you!

However, I'm debating if it is worth playing and putting the time into ( I'm also playing through Wizardry 6 at the moment :) ). Do those mods suggested help improve what I at first considered a pretty dull RPG. Yes it is pretty and the art design is unique but as others have stated, it really lacks meaningful quests, NPCs, and dialogue. Which mods, if any, specifically address these flaws?

crakkie

Arcane
mindx2 said:
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions... thank you!

However, I'm debating if it is worth playing and putting the time into ( I'm also playing through Wizardry 6 at the moment :) ). Do those mods suggested help improve what I at first considered a pretty dull RPG. Yes it is pretty and the art design is unique but as others have stated, it really lacks meaningful quests, NPCs, and dialogue. Which mods, if any, specifically address these flaws?

The Farmer Mod and The Erengard Mines mod are both guild-like series of quests. I haven't played them, but they're highly regarded.
The Sixth House let's you work for the sixth house, possibly with lots of fedex quests.
Gladiator let's you fight in the arena in Vivec.

You can add children, old people, travelling merchants, and a whole crapload of people to the cities, but they're still mostly generic.
Others have pointed out the Less Generic NPC's project.

The Stealth Pack adds "quests" (really just abilities) like panhandling, performing, and burglary (through windows). Slavers let's you buy, sell, trade, and steal slaves.

Relayer71

Liturgist
mindx2 said:
Do those mods suggested help improve what I at first considered a pretty dull RPG. Yes it is pretty and the art design is unique but as others have stated, it really lacks meaningful quests, NPCs, and dialogue. Which mods, if any, specifically address these flaws?

Some change the difficulty and scaling but they don't change the quests themselves.
Here's the thing: Morrowind starts out very slowly - it's the total opposite of Oblivion which throws you right into the action (albeit in a poorly done manner) - but once the main plot picks up and you level a bit and become more familiar with the different cities/areas the game becomes more enjoyable.

Another thing to consider is that the expansion packs were more enjoyable than the main game. The quests were more interesting, dialogue was improved a bit, and combat was challenging. It's kinda like NWN - I recommend playing Hordes Of Underdark and skipping the OC. Could probably skip Shadows Of Unrentide too.

But Tribunall and Bloodmoon were made for higher level characters so you can't go straight to those (unless you access the command console and level yourself to 15 or so but I wouldn't do that).

On the other hand the game does take HOURS of your time and if you didn't enjoy it much the first time you tried then maybe it just wasn't for you - move on to something else, hehe. (And for the love of sanity, stay away from OBLIVION)

Darkflame

Scholar
The Kinky Guild
Adds a Kinky Guild behind the temple in Ald-ruhn, this mod caters mainly for female player characters. I should warn that this is a VERY extreme mod, don\'t download this if you are easily shocked or offended!

http://www.adultgamemods.com/download_c ... oad&gid=27

Guard Humiliation
Guard Humiliation is a very ADULT mod, where when you offer sex for fine's Guards use your offer to inflict huge amounts of humiliation upon the criminal. Tthis is a liberal modification of the original, guard sex, and funky's Guard sex, and will probablly not play with ether of those mods installed. so if ya want to try this one, you need to un install those. that said, the Mod is made for a female character, and the quest's won't become available for a male, but there is some left over junk in here that might let some male participation happen, but not much if any. this is still beta, And has let it out for testing, and maybe some helpful advice.

It has Very Naughty Sexual act's, if anyone has any inhibitions at all about truely naughty & nasty Sex, don't download or install this mod.

http://www.adultgamemods.com/download_c ... oad&gid=24

Darkflame

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Any tasteful rape?

Taglady - Adult companion
This is an Adult companion, she will have some-what random sex acts with you, and she also has the ability to transport you to 6 different local's around Morrowind for free. she can Heal you if you get injured. This version contains an elf version and contains more content than previous versions.

http://www.adultgamemods.com/download_c ... oad&gid=36

SlaveSchool
Adds a Slaveschool to Morrowind!

http://www.adultgamemods.com/download_c ... oad&gid=33

dagorkan

Arbiter
Lovers and Legends V0 SHAVED hot!
This mod allows you to have sex with NPC's in Morrowind. You can choose any NPC of the opposite sex to be your "lover" (provided that they like you enough) and sleep with them in any bed as often as you like (provided that they still like you). Your lover's disposition towards you will change based on your sexual performance meaning that is it possible to make friends and influence people by sleeping with them (provided that you do a good job of course).

When you are sleeping with your lover, you directly control the action, the camera, you/your lover's attire and sexual position. Different positions will stimulate you/your lover at different rates so you must make sure that they enjoy themselves as much as you do to avoid getting labelled as a bad lover.

This is a BETA version of the mod and is mainly intended as a "proof of concept" to demonstrate the core features of the mod. The mod may not work for everyone.

Please see the forum link for screenshots, help, support & updates

Finally, some gameplay! :shock:

For this I just might have to reinstall Morrowind... :idea:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dildoikan Sword

Adds dildo themed swords to Vvardenfell. New weapon for the ladies! The Dildoikan Sword! After a long day of slaughtering bandits, netches, and cliffracers; sit by a quite fire and "unwind and relax" with your sword! Ladies this is the last weapon you will ever need to buy! Comes in either Glow mapped, or reflection mapped versions.

Deleted member 7219

Is Morrowind worth a second look:

Yes, yes and yes. It is the best game ever made.

hakuroshi

Augur
Matt7895 said:
Is Morrowind worth a second look:

Yes, yes and yes. It is the best game ever made.

Especially with mods presented in several last posts.

psycojester

Arbiter
There was a mod i believe it was called Vivec expanded or Slums of Vivec that added a pontoon ghetto in the waterways around the base of the Cantons in Vivec. It added so much life to that place, made it seem like a real city instead of a collection of giant filing cabinets in the sea.

Xi

Arcane
psycojester said:
There was a mod i believe it was called Vivec expanded or Slums of Vivec that added a pontoon ghetto in the waterways around the base of the Cantons in Vivec. It added so much life to that place, made it seem like a real city instead of a collection of giant filing cabinets in the sea.

The developer who designed Vivec City was a fucking retard. Worst city design ever!

Morrowind wasn't the best RPG, but it was a great exploration game with stats. Sand-box Magic is the exploration it provides. This is why Oblivion is utter shit. It's all flow chart loot lists with nothing worthwhile to be found. Compare that to Morrowind. In Morrowind your exploration of the world is the entire concept of the game. You actually find items, locations, quests, etc that are hidden in the sand box. Id say give it another shot if this interests you. Otherwise there's no reason to look back.

psycojester

Arbiter
That was my point, with that mod installed Vivec no longer felt like a dead and static place, the river level slum with all its rope bridge and people living out of boats and ships really made it feel like a living city

Lumpy

Arcane
Xi said:
psycojester said:

The developer who designed Vivec City was a fucking retard. Worst city design ever!
No.
It was good. It was originally intended to have open cantons, but it would've been to much for the computers back then to bear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom