Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind: Worth a second look?

hakuroshi

Augur
With MGE Morrowind actually runs faster and looks better. But I would not advise enabling distant land. Not because of fps hit. It simply kills last remnants of immersion. Tha game was not designed to be fogless. When you can see every ruin and tower up to Dagon Fell from Vivec and understand how close they to each other, it just doesn't feel right. MW always reminded me of some theme park, with MGE it's awfully apparent. Without distatnt statics it is OK on horison line, but you must set fog distance far more then ingame setting allows (I think some mod does it) to awoid some weirdness like stronghold springing on flat space ten meters away. And still to deal with seeing how tiny and packed and game-like MW is. It looks worse then Oblivion even if actually larger.

cutterjohn

Cipher
hakuroshi said:
With MGE Morrowind actually runs faster and looks better. But I would not advise enabling distant land. Not because of fps hit. It simply kills last remnants of immersion. Tha game was not designed to be fogless. When you can see every ruin and tower up to Dagon Fell from Vivec and understand how close they to each other, it just doesn't feel right. MW always reminded me of some theme park, with MGE it's awfully apparent. Without distatnt statics it is OK on horison line, but you must set fog distance far more then ingame setting allows (I think some mod does it) to awoid some weirdness like stronghold springing on flat space ten meters away. And still to deal with seeing how tiny and packed and game-like MW is. It looks worse then Oblivion even if actually larger.
You're wrong. The best that you can hope for is the same FPS that you would get without MGE. MGE mostly allows adding in distant land to a degree and maintaining similar framerate as it offloads more of the video processing to the GPU while the vanilla MW/netimmerse engine offloads virtually nothing. The game by itself is entirely CPU bound.

Now, it is true that enabling distant lands shows exactly how tiny MW is, as, for example, you can see the Vivec Cantons from Balmora, BUT you CAN either limit the view distance, add fog, and/or add another mod that dynamically adds fog based upon "weather conditions". Bottom line to me though is that MGE improves MW enough for me to interest me in playing around with it again and try some other mods that I had previously ignored while awaiting other new games and/or NWN1 & 2 mods...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
GhanBuriGhan said:
Something relieved early on by the MW fps optimizer, and recently by a project completely eliminating the fog, basically allowing Oblivion scale view distance.
I have no problem with view distance in Oblivion, but rather with the fact that if you're e.g. looking across a lake, and there is a tower on the other side, there's no way for you to see it and it'll just pop into view when you come closer. (Gothic 3 managed it great, btw.) Do you know if the last patch for Oblivion (1.2, I think) fixed this issue? Or should one just change the amount of simultanously loaded cells to ridiculous levels in the INI file? (I did that and it solved the "popping in" issue, but (as expected) slowed the game horribly.)

Starwars

Arcane
have no problem with view distance in Oblivion, but rather with the fact that if you're e.g. looking across a lake, and there is a tower on the other side, there's no way for you to see it and it'll just pop into view when you come closer. (Gothic 3 managed it great, btw.) Do you know if the last patch for Oblivion (1.2, I think) fixed this issue? Or should one just change the amount of simultanously loaded cells to ridiculous levels in the INI file? (I did that and it solved the "popping in" issue, but (as expected) slowed the game horribly.)

With the patch that came out before Shivering Isles, they fixed some of the textures that are far away to look a bit better (though the usermade are still way better), and also added some kind of 'blur' effect so that you don't see the game switching in new textures when you get closer to a place.
However, I don't think it affected the pop-in of buildings and such.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
OK, thanks. I used the usermade textures, so I guess there's no point for me to try 1.2 graphic-wise.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Elwro said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Something relieved early on by the MW fps optimizer, and recently by a project completely eliminating the fog, basically allowing Oblivion scale view distance.
I have no problem with view distance in Oblivion, but rather with the fact that if you're e.g. looking across a lake, and there is a tower on the other side, there's no way for you to see it and it'll just pop into view when you come closer. (Gothic 3 managed it great, btw.) Do you know if the last patch for Oblivion (1.2, I think) fixed this issue? Or should one just change the amount of simultanously loaded cells to ridiculous levels in the INI file? (I did that and it solved the "popping in" issue, but (as expected) slowed the game horribly.)
You can a mod or something to allow objects to be rendered farther out, although I understand that the FPS hit is quite high.

Frankie

Novice
Morrowind was different than Daggerfall but I happended to like it.

Sure there were things that were wrong with it, sure it wasn't as fun as Daggerfall was.

However, compared to Oblivion, Morrowind is the best RPG that money can buy. I'm actually thinking about installing it and playing it again.

The story line was great, in my opinion, the factions and the guilds were very good. The combat sucked and it sucked that you have to put away your weapon to use magic, but I can handle that over Oblivion.

With the right Mods Morrowind is a very good game and one that I would recomend.

I know it's not popular with the majority of people here but when compared to Oblivion I wouldn't think twice about playing it.

hakuroshi

Augur
cutterjohn said:
You're wrong. The best that you can hope for is the same FPS that you would get without MGE. MGE mostly allows adding in distant land to a degree and maintaining similar framerate as it offloads more of the video processing to the GPU while the vanilla MW/netimmerse engine offloads virtually nothing. The game by itself is entirely CPU bound.

Now, it is true that enabling distant lands shows exactly how tiny MW is, as, for example, you can see the Vivec Cantons from Balmora, BUT you CAN either limit the view distance, add fog, and/or add another mod that dynamically adds fog based upon "weather conditions". Bottom line to me though is that MGE improves MW enough for me to interest me in playing around with it again and try some other mods that I had previously ignored while awaiting other new games and/or NWN1 & 2 mods...

Maybe I am wrong. But I have a better fps with MGE and better texture packs installed. I don't know how it affects vanilla MW. Nothing fancy though, just keeps fps a bit higher, probably as you say somewhat offloading textures to GPU. An anyway I may just imaging this :)
I did experiment with view distances and fog, but could not find anything that suited me. A bit more of a fog distance is probably best, original was too small. Still nothing to arose my interest to actually play the game again (though I reinstalled it to try with MGE)

Oblivion on the other hand was designed with long distance view in mind and the scenery looks more or less nice. Popping up objects is another story.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Last time I played I extended the draw distance but not to max. I think the very first town is a good test, because if you can see Vivec (I think?) across the water then the draw distance is too far out. Reign it in and you can have the world feel "right" without the fog wall right in front of you.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Worth a second walkthrough with Chaos Heart global mod that includes the Sixth House and makes siding with Dagoth Ur possible... Oh wait, you don't russian, sorry. No, it's not worth any more seconds of your time.

overly excitable young man

kingcomrade was based and redpilled

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom