Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal Online 2 - Full Sandbox Autism Simulator

Mud'

Scholar
So, somehow Mortal Online was successful enough to get a sequel and now they are stress testing the server.

For those that doesn't know, Mortal Online is a MMORPG centered around PVP full loot on death where crafting goes to extreme depths of autism, there weren't any recipes so all the players had to figure out what works best. E.G: as a sword smith you could make the blade out of wood, the handle out of steel, and the crossguard out of bronze. The rest is in the same vein of Ultima Online dream of begin full sandbox, do what you want type of deal with all the toxicity that you can expect from that type of game.

Full loot and full PVP
Mortal Online is not like other MMOs. In Mortal Online any player can at any point attack another player and take everything they own. This makes every encounter with another player a dangerous affair that could result in great loss. It also greatly increase the importance of having strong allies by your side or a powerful guild to back you up.
Features
  • Complex crafting system with millions of combinations.
  • Intense skill based first person melee, mounted, ranged and magic combat with full loot.
  • Deep character customization with
  • Open skill system with over 600 skills and no character levels.
  • Massive sandbox world for you to explore and fight over
Skills
Mortal Online 2 features a massive list of 600+ skills to learn.Most of these skills are learned and leveled up by simply using them in the game and the player can spend points in any skills he/she wishes to learn creating a complex web of possible combinations.
Combat
Mortal Online 2 features an action-based first person combat system. There is no tab-targeting or auto attacks. In Mortal Online 2 the player’s skill really matters and a skilled player will often defeat a player with better equipment.All the combat in Mortal Online 2 works this way regardless if your are wielding a bow, sword or use your mind to cast powerful spells.
Crafting
Almost all of the equipment in Mortal Online 2 is created by players and then sold to other players. Our celebrated crafting-system gives all the power to the crafter who can decide every part in whatever he/she is crafting creating a mind blowing amount of possible combinations. This way crafters can be known worldwide for their secret and powerful equipment.
World
Mortal Online 2 is set in the great world Nave. The first continent players will enter is called Myrland and is a boiling pot of different biomes ranging from cold snowy mountains to big open sand fields. Myrland is massive in size and filled incredible resources to find and dangerous dungeons to explore. All rendered is stunning detail using Unreal Engine 4.

So far the stress test has some desync here and there, the combat feels slow because the speed of your swing depends on the skill level but overall exploration is great since the world is massive.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did try the first game.

It was a very typical PvP experience. Start playing, get to know the game, improve the skills, craft some armor, do some combat, start getting more into the game.
Then get griefed in some forest in a noob area while gathering by a player who couldn't possibly have any use for anything you are carrying, nullifying the progress of the last several hours.

It was all-in-all a good reminder of why I don't play PvP focused MMOs.

deama

Prophet
I used to heavily play the game, was quite enjoyable in the beginning, ended up in a guild too.
Reason I quite though was cause the game was pretty much broken and there was no sign of the devs ever fixing it.
Also, there was basically almost nothing else, it was either pvp, grinding retarded AI mobs that can sometimes dissappear into a wall so you can't get their loot, or bashing your head against stones/trees for materials.

Very high potential, but just complete shit execution, doesn't look like they did all that much with the sequel though, most people were asking for fixes and improvements to current systems, but for some reason they kept releasing new content like new areas, that were just as broken as the old areas, or sometimes removing content "because it's broken" rather than fixing it.

I would advise anyone interested in this to becareful and not spend too much money/time into it.

jungl

Augur
Thats the problem with these sandbox mmos. Its either pvp or fight dumbass mobs. Only way to revolutionize this genre is allow players to build random stuff in the game world but the technology is not there for 1000 person server mmos.

Azdul

Magister
Thats the problem with these sandbox mmos. Its either pvp or fight dumbass mobs. Only way to revolutionize this genre is allow players to build random stuff in the game world but the technology is not there for 1000 person server mmos.
Technology is there. Various iterations of Darkfall had non-instanced player cities, non-instanced player houses, ships, vehicles, etc. Mortal Online 1 implementation of random buildings kind of sucks because they are bought MMO extension (Atlas) to Unreal engine - implemented by Chinese branch of Epic. They had to scrap whole game game to use newer version of Atlas with newer Unreal engine - that's why we have Mortal Online 2.

The main problems are cheating and lag compensation. If local client does not know (lag) or does not want to know (hacks) about a wall - player can go through it. But even that can be solved - but probably not within the budget of indie MMO.

Just because WoW is still popular does not mean that technological progress has stopped in 2004.

jungl

Augur
ya I know about darkfall I played it back in 2010ish. Sorry what I meant was the technology not there for player 1000+ servers where individual players can build random shit in world. In darkfall a clan could by a deed or whatever to place where they build their clan base. Cheating is extreme killer for these games. I remember in darkfall I seen people who speed hacked, map hacked and had aimbot. I dont know why people play competitive games if they do not want to really compete and instead be a loser bitch and cheat lol.

Course I played gamed where practically EVERYONE cheats at one point and you have to cheat to stand a chance like the company of heroes. Its really amusing and interesting when 2 players can see each others units and you know and the other guy obviously knows you have map hacks. Vsing other map hackers is a unique experience. Cheating in online games is fun but people shouldn't do it unless the majority cheat.

Azdul

Magister
Cheating in online games is fun but people shouldn't do it unless the majority cheat.
MMOs should make sure that cheating is impossible, and it should be done without current crappy, privacy invading solutions like Easy Anti-Cheat that scan your entire computer looking for cheats.

When it comes to anti-cheating - Mortal Online 1 did everything wrong. Server basically trusted whatever clients had sent them. Hacker could get banned only if GM has noticed him doing something fishy.

Red Orchestra - which allowed for 30 players at once - calculated most of things server-side, which made cheating much harder. At the time it required new fancy Athlons 64 X2 for largest maps. So it can be done for large number of players, esp. that now we can lease much more powerful CPUs from either AWS or Azure.

The only problem is that hack-proof MMO requires competent programmers - and those are expensive.

ADL

Prophet
Early Access (beta) with unlimited access but it'll wipe before release. Full release in January and you'll have to pay a 15€/mo subscription. It definitely looks good but I'm a bit worried about their "ping normalization system" because the developers refuse to break away from their single server vision for the game. Supposedly if it does well enough they'll open up a second continent where the server is located in North America.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I randomly came across this game on Steam and noticed that a trusted friend of mine from back in the pker.org days had written a review of it. This man has good taste most of the time so I thought it might be worth posting here if anyone is interested.

This game aims to be something that no other game in recent memory has gone for: a truly immersive fantasy open world MMORPG. Every system in the game is designed around player interaction, immersion and to further invest you in the game.

Here are some things I've seen here that I've not seen in any other MMO:

• Hitboxes on players where arrows actually whizz by your head, incoming attacks hit your shield on your body even when its not being wielded and damage is entirely location based, including chopping off limbs.
  • Related: directional combat ala Mordhau, except with thousands of players.
  • A single unified world and server. Every event happens in the same world, every player has the potential to have his/her legend known by everyone else. Guild reputations and ethos matter.
  • A fully realized immersive Unreal 4 Engine fantasy world that is as detailed and immersive as any AAA RPG out there.
  • A single character slot, so every action you take matters. This not only invests you in your character and who they are in the world, but discourages people from doing stupid stuff like griefing with no consequences.
  • Local voice chat, leading to all kinds of incidental in role interactions with other players.
  • A use based skill system ala Skyrim, where you can become grandmaster in a particular crafting style, but need to rely on others for other items.
  • Mounted archery, melee combat and lances/jousting.
  • Hundreds of textures on weapons and armor to reflect not only the style but also the material it was made with.
  • ZERO pay to win. The game requires a subscription, but that is intentional so that everyone is on a level playing field, player created masterwork gear is the best and coolest looking possible and the devs are incentivized to create actual enjoyable content for the game rather than cosmetics/convenience items.
  • Super creative magic systems with spells that have to be found and scribed into your spellbook, 13 schools being implemented (two currently in), and all wildly unique, such as Spiritism, a school that allows you to willingly enter the spirit world people go when they die, fight and capture spirits to power your spells, kill people's spirits so they can't resurrect, and use portals to travel in between the real world and the spirit. And that's just one school.

I started playing MMOs with MUDs and felt super immersed, knew everyone I ran into, people RP'ed naturally and it felt like playing an online fully realized dungeons and dragons campaign. After nearly 25 years, this is the first game I've played that has rekindled that feeling. There is nothing else like it. Don't listen to haters that pre-judge it based on them having a bad experience with MO1 (a game from 10 years ago), bemoaning a subscription (F2P has objectively lowered the quality of MMOS), or complaining about bugs in beta. These devs are dedicated to creating a singular experience that is available nowhere else, put out huge content patches every 2 weeks (despite only being 30 devs) and after playing in the beta for over a year at this point, it seems like they're actually pulling it off.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
So I ended up buying this a week ago and finally found some time to play this weekend. This game seems to be exactly what I've been asking for in an MMO for years.

• Mount and Blade style combat
  • Full loot PvP without safe zones
  • City building
  • City Sieges
  • Good PvE with dungeons and world bosses
  • First person view only
  • Monthly fees instead of shitty modern monetization
There's not much point in playing a lot until after the wipe and full release on Jan 25th, but I'm super hyped for this game. I'm having a ton of fun just going through the tutorial. I need to figure out a way to shill this hard enough that it gets a ton of sales.

PanDupa

Educated
This actually looks quite interesting but £30 on top of a subscription is quite tough, specially without any trial available

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
This actually looks quite interesting but £30 on top of a subscription is quite tough, specially without any trial available
Trials are gay. People always find a way to abuse them. You especially don't want that in a full loot pvp game. Just watch some videos on the game if you're unsure. The subscription is there so the game doesn't turn into p2w bullshit or end up with a gay cash shop like the majority of MMOs these days. If it helps you get the first month free with purchase of the game.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Finally had some time to play today and put in a good four hours. People are having trouble getting through the que if their characters are on the main continent instead of the starting island. Since I only started playing today that hasn't been an issue for me. In this game you are meant to stay on noob island to farm and raise skills for at least a few days.

The game has been a lot of fun so far. I usually hate crafting in games but it's a lot of fun in this one and I'll probably spend most of my solo time working on that. Melee combat is extremely fun too, but I'm planing on playing as a mounted mage/archer. It will probably be a few days before my character has learned some spells and gathered enough reagents to actually cast them.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The devs finally admitted that they can't handle the large amount of players with their current server tech so they added instances of the main server that you can join instead. There are some drawbacks though.

Dear Community,

The launch has been a struggle when it comes to handling the number of players on Myrland as you all know. We have a core vision of one world and have been working towards that for many years. Not having the ability to get real cases with the amount of players needed to progress in this field makes this a very time consuming step, and mostly, a big frustration for our players. It shouldn't feel as if our players who bought the game are testing this process. In this I have failed to make it work in an acceptable timeframe.

We have done several patches that have increased the overall stable population cap by 300-600 at a time and we are reaching decent numbers for Myrland, but not enough to support our 10k that want to play on Myrland now.

This means we have decided that we need to do what's necessary to make sure everyone can play directly. This means we will add additional continents, just as planned for future continents like Sarducaa etc, but it will be Myrland for now. You will be able to travel back and forth, as you do between different Haven instances now, and things will remain persistent with your character and guild status. However you will not be able to build on these extra Myrland continents, only on the main one.
This gives us headroom to continue our work on improving our continent's capacity. We are also working on our upcoming continents that will replace the extra Myrland continents whenever they are ready.

We need a few days until we can deploy these extra continents and let all of you in, and we will update you when we have the final day and time for this.

/Henrik Nyström and the Star Vault team.

Patch went live earlier today. I would say that I picked a good day to call in to work except everyone else I know is at work right now. I need to find some NEETs to play with.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Patch Notes 1.0.0.13
Added

• Added a new gatherable resource.
  • Added dueling. You can challenge someone to a duel by typing /duel while targeting the person you intend to duel. When accepted you will turn local grey to each other until one of you dies, logs out, or the duel timer ends after a period of inactivity.
  • Added a new village to Haven where the “Travel to Myrland” statue is now located.
  • Added lootable corpses to the wilderness of Haven, with a chance of finding rare loot.
  • Added an AFK kick timer.
  • Added support for Myrland Alt servers. You can join an alternative server from the login screen if the queue to the main server is too long. Alternative servers are restricted, on these servers the following things are currently disabled:
    - Kicking from guilds
    - Creating guilds
    - Joining guilds
    - Disbanding guilds
    - Building and upgrading buildables
    - Brokers
    - Mail
    Broker, Mail and guild functionality will be added later

Changes

• Rearranged red priests on Myrland, they are now fewer and located farther away from guarded cities.
  • Cave Camp and Jungle Camp priests are now blue priests.
  • Priests outside dungeons are now blue priests.
  • Local grey status now lasts for 240s like criminal status.
  • You can now rightfully defend against a player & player pets if they attack you or your pets.
  • Items buy value is now checked instead of item sell value when transferring items from Haven.
  • Changed waterfall particles to look more subtle and blend better.
  • Tephra node yields decreased by 80%
  • Blast Furnaces are now disabled

Fixes

• Fixed spelling error on Risar Chieftain.
  • Human clade gift 'Charismatic' should now work as intended again.
  • Fixed bug where local flag didnt update for the player that was killed.
  • Fixed being able to toggle (on foot) autorun while mounted.
  • Fixed autorun not getting disabled when mounting.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Played it for a few hours before yesterday. Tried to do it again yesterday but was placed on position 700 in the queue and was not willing to wait forever to play a fucking videogame.

It has a lot of potential but the biggest thing it has going on for it is that it's pretty much the only MMORPG around with "M&B-like" combat and mechanics(AFAIK).

Sadly, the walking simulator is strong on this one. If you don't have a horse be prepared to do a lot of virtual jogging(the MC is slow as fuck even when sprinting at max sprint lvl so it takes forever to walk a few meters, and the map is yuge).

The PVE seems to suck aswell btw. I left the "tutorial" zone because the xp requirements to next clade lvl(some sort of skill tree) were too steep, thinking in the mainland there would be more mobs with higher xp reward(because in haven there are not many, the respawn rate sucks and the xp reward is low as fuck), only to find out it's even worse in the main map - lurking on the forums people were saying the sewers in the biggest city in the game was great to level so I went there, but the place is fucking huge(you keep going down until you reach the gates of hell) and I managed to find a single mob in like 15 minutes running around(which gave me the same amount of xp as the bandits in haven). I don't remember having a worse first dungeon experience in a game. Fucking sucks balls.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Oh and I forgot to add, the performance is abysmal. I have a high end rig and no matter the settings there's a lot of stuttering, especially inside the dungeons.

It's a very rough and janky game overall, and not in a 'good'/'Gothic-like' way. The devs have a lot of polishing to do.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If you don't want to queue don't play on the main server. My guild mostly hangs out on sever 4 and there is never a queue there. The game could use more pve, but that's in the works.

Horses aren't hard to get. You can buy one for under 10 gold using the broker on the main server

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Patch Notes 1.0.0.20
Added

• Lootable corpses added to Myrland
  • Steep slopes will now cause players to slide instead of free fall. Players will still take fall damage if slide speed becomes too great.
  • Added a new cave in Haven to explore.

Changes

• Leaving Haven should no longer lock you from going to an alternative Myrland.
  • Polished house placement mode visuals.
  • Added Red Priests outside of all keep locations.
  • You can no longer mail coins while also requesting coin on delivery.
  • Only pets that are close to you when you logout will follow you to alt myrlands.
  • Updated navmesh all over the world that could get pets stuck.
  • Fall damage reduced for mounts.
  • Prevent certain ini files from being modified outside of the game.
  • Removed Myrland alt 3 and 4.
  • Increased Tephra yield to match removal of alt servers.
  • Increased the max capacity of all servers.

Fixes

• Fixed several crashes on the server.
  • Fixed rare crash when crafting armor.
  • Fixed missing water in some areas.
  • Removed alignment from spellbook. It was unused and displaying placeholder text.
  • Fixed bug where getting corrupted while already corrupted would result in two corrupt debuff icons instead of refreshing it.
  • It is no longer possible to bring bags with you from Haven.
  • Lots of world fixes.
  • Fixed flickering horizon in Haven.
  • Players should no longer get stuck under the landscape in Haven.
  • Lootable corpses now align a lot better to ground.
  • Updated some skills descriptions.
  • Spellbook background now changes to represent the selected magic school.
  • Updated a font to make it easier to distinguish between letters.
  • Fixed bug where after renaming personal notes you had to search for its old name when using the search bar.
  • Fixed bug where spellcasting animation would sometimes get stuck.
  • Guild members & friends now get sorted alphabetically.
  • Opening map through inventory now shows you the Haven map if you're in Haven, otherwise it will show the Myrland map.
  • Fixed whispers
  • Communications server optimization
  • Network engine optimization
  • You should no longer hear VoIP from other instances
  • Fixed Marksmanship skill not gaining experience.
  • Fixed not being able to resurrect at 0 standing.
  • Fixed issue that could cause decorations in houses and keeps to be reset when a node was restarted.
  • Fixed leak that forced us to restart Myrland servers now and then due to lag.
  • Made several changes to how pets are moved between Myrland Main and alts when switching servers.
  • Pet bags that are equipped and get destroyed will now drop their items to the ground if they have any.
  • You can now give murder counts to people who are offline or on another node.
  • Fixed crafting UI sound not being adjustable by volume slider.
  • Login news now retries if it fails to get the latest news.
  • Candle light vfx is now locked to the base of candles.
  • Fixed broken mana heal spell message.
  • Fixed wrong defense values on Tagmatons.
  • Corrected the Pansar Carapace butcher yield.
  • Fixed several issues with AI leashing when they should not.
  • Removed unused pet broker categories.

Quality of life

• You can now delete multiple items at once by using ALT + Right-click or simply dragging items outside of your inventory.
  • Added a confirmation message when abandoning your pet.
  • Journal entries are now sorted alphabetically.
  • You can now hold the craft button to continuously craft when using any crafting workbench.
  • Right-clicking items while using crafting UI now more intuitively updates its item slots.
  • Item slots in crafting UI now only reset when necessary.
  • -Slightly increased range when trying to open pet bags. Sometimes the pet would stop following just out of range meaning you couldn't access it when encumbered.
  • You can now hold the 'Scribe' button to continuously scribe the same stack of scrolls.
  • Added sort by ascending/descending option in broker.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I tried to log in after the update and was getting a "server restarting" message. Kept trying for 1 full hour before I gave up.

Gonna wait for a few updates before diving in again, because right now it's a mess on the technical side and very barebones contentwise. Perhaps i'll check it again once they have brokers on the instances at least.

Enviado de meu SM-G780G usando o Tapatalk

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Btw, they also need to increase respawn rate in bandit camps. Right now you're pretty much forced to go graveyard to grind hordes of zombies in order to farm clade points and gold.

I'm not a teenager anymore with infinite patience and free time to do that shit like I used to in those Grindy asian MMORPGs of the old.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I tried to log in after the update and was getting a "server restarting" message. Kept trying for 1 full hour before I gave up.

Gonna wait for a few updates before diving in again, because right now it's a mess on the technical side and very barebones contentwise. Perhaps i'll check it again once they have brokers on the instances at least.

They will never have brokers on the instances. The instances are just a temporary band-aid to let people play until they increase the main server's capacity enough to hold everyone.

Sort of off topic, but this thread on Steam made me laugh. Lots of based people playing this game.

vkjmx8.png

tmvy5r.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom