Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal Shell - Soulslike action-RPG

Perkel

Arcane
I read some thoughts of people on it:

- 4 armors in the game (shells) which also work as classes.
- 6 weapons
- 10 hours to finish which is stretched out maybe 6 hours of content.
- No any kind of customization outside of items, shell you use and weapons.
- mechanics are good but there is basically no content compared to something like DS1 without expansion.

Remind me a lot of Remnant from The Ashes. Also it had good mechanics but basically no content.

cruel

Cipher
I read some thoughts of people on it:

- 4 armors in the game (shells) which also work as classes.
- 6 weapons
- 10 hours to finish which is stretched out maybe 6 hours of content.
- No any kind of customization outside of items, shell you use and weapons.
- mechanics are good but there is basically no content compared to something like DS1 without expansion.

Remind me a lot of Remnant from The Ashes. Also it had good mechanics but basically no content.

That's sad, but probably expected with small budget and limited team they had. I still prefer a short 10h game to a 20h game filled with filler, repeated enemies or annoying puzzles.

It's really depressing by the way, that you could use like 10% of the workforce behind next Ubisoft title, put them to work on a title like Mortal Shell, and provide a much better game as a result.

DemonKing

Arcane
Got to play about 6 hours today - I like these style of games even though I'm hopeless at them. You need to be really methodical in this game and farm healing 'shrooms if you take too much damage and don't want all the mobs to respawn as you continue. I only have two shells and weapons at this stage.

The harden mechanic is pretty cool, just wish I wasn't so horrible at parrying.

Perkel

Arcane
Too short and too little content like weapons and armors/shells. Otherwise game would be pretty great.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I just finished it, pretty cool tbh. Really liked the grimdark atmosphere and visuals, combat is cool but the bossfights seem a bit too easy when you have a character and weapon with all upgrades (but not boring-easy, you have to watch out and they do take a lot of time to beat though, there's two "rounds" with all the bosses except the last one).

farm healing 'shrooms if you take too much damage and don't want all the mobs to respawn as you continue. I only have two shells and weapons at this stage.
You can buy healing items (roasted rats XD) from the merchant in the hub area (he is on top of the tower).

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mortal-shell

I see user score stabilizing around 6.9/10 - better than Ashen or first Surge, pretty close to Lords of the Fallen, but worse than Surge 2 or Code Vein. Wondering if it's more about bugs, game being too short or just overall quality?

That this shell of a game (heh) has a better score than the first Surge, that Surge 2 has a better score than the Surge, that Code Vein has a better score than the Surge and apparently even LotF has a better score than the first Surge is just... well, lel.

DemonKing

Arcane
Finished today.

Only boss that gave me any real trouble was the guy in the Ice Tomb. I think I finished all the others in 1 or 2 tries which is probably the number of parries I managed to land in the whole game - I definitely cheesed the harden mechanic.

I mainly used the first shell and the Acolyte, mixing it up with the basic sword and the Hammer and Chisel. It was a pretty decent stop gap until Elden Ring/Demon Souls remake but definitely nowhere near as hard as Bloodborne, Sekiro or the Dark Souls series.

SumDrunkGuy

I heard this is getting a physical release on October 2nd. Anybody know if it's getting any additional content added in the near future? I'm a thirsty Souls fan and am considering purchasing a physical copy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I gave it a crack. Finished in 13 hours. Kindda short.

Not terrible tho. Definitely scratches that Dark Souls itch. Nothing groundbreaking in the enemy variety and world design department but the combat is p. good. Only four weapons but very different play styles and abilities with each. I prefer that to 12 different swords that are indistinguishable. Same for the shells.

I had fun with this. It's not something I'd play over and over again but I see it dusting it off one or two more times in the next few years.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is the epitomy of meh.
how does it compare to Ashen?
MS has more builds/playstyles but I liked Ashen's vibe, level design and exploration way more. Mortal Shell is either confusing as fuck (the central hub world, it all looks the same and there's very few memorable landmarks) or very linear (side areas). Bosses are comparable in difficulty and number (not very difficult, not very many). Combat is comparable but MS has the hardening mechanics that's fun as fuck.

cruel

Cipher
I tried playing this for like third time and just can't force myself. Everything looks so bland, horrible environment design, poor enemy variety in the beginning, and the combat. It's soooo sloooooow and clunky - it's impossible to play this after playing Nioh 2 few days ago, few classes of difference in combat design. Does it get better, maybe in another areas or with different shells?

DemonKing

Arcane
There’s a free PS5 update for this out now. I gave it a quick whirl and have to say the controller is well implemented unlike a lot of PS5 games. PS4 saves aren’t compatible though...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Revealed: The Virtuous Cycle is Mortal Shell's new roguelike expansion.

Coming August 18. Possess the newest playable Shell and carve your path with a deadly transforming weapon.

fork

Mortal Shell is a deep action-RPG [...]

Lol, no it is not! These subhumans have no shame left whatsoever. I wouldn't even call Dark Souls 'deep', but compared to Mortal Shell it's the fucking Marianas Trench...

cruel

Cipher
Yeah, deep as fuck. 4 classes and 4 weapons. If Mortal Shell is deep, wondering how they would describe Nioh.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom