Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most regretful purchases?

Arryosha

Learned
Bought an Atari Jaguar at launch for $250. My friend tried to talk me out of it. He said the 64 bit hype was just a marketing gimmick and that the launch titles looked bad. I wrote him off as a jealous nintendo fanboy. So then I had to pretend I really enjoyed "Cybermorph."

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Caligari trueSpace & dedicated Vray plugin, and other plugins; around a $1000 combined purchases.
They were each worth the money of course, but soon afterwards Microsoft bought the company, fired everybody, and released the product for free—and they disabled Vray support.

It would seem that they did this to acquire a modeler they could give away with built in export for their Virtual Earth service; because that's the only thing they did with it—add a Virtual Earth model export feature. Oh... and used the dev team to make that dilettante 3D modeling app that now comes with Windows.

_______

The only game that comes to mind as a regret for me is Ring II; but I bought it second hand used, for a pittance.

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
Paid 55 euros for Ass Creed Derphalla gold edition on Ubishit sale, fucking read about it on 'dex and was told its a good rpg game.

Burn in hell faggots.

Euros is not a big deal but wasted 100 hours of my life on that shit and its not even finished yet.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I got drunk and bought all the Creation Club content that was available for Fallout 4 for some reason, which must be a couple hundred bucks. Good lord I woke up regretting that I had 8 different dogmeat skins.
Easily, you won this thread. Also for Fallout: 4, fucking hell, man!

Dexter

Arcane
Thirty Flights of Loving, it was only two fiddy, but it's one of the few "games" I actually almost felt tricked into "experiencing". Before I realized that places like RPS and PCGamer were SJW havens mainly and used to launder their friends shitty Indie garbage, when I still naively thought they were trying to recommend overlooked gems. There are definitely some shit games that I bought and played, but nothing like this. It made me feel personally insulted "playing" it. At least it was a learning experience.

Also To The Moon, irredeemable pretentious hipster Indie garbage.

pre-purchased oblivion collector's because they just ditched the latest online-checking securom and i wanted to reward them.
never again. never forgive. never forget.

ferratilis

Magister
I have only ever preordered one game - Cyberbunk. To make things worse, I built an entire new PC for it. Around 1000 euros wasted. The game was refunded, luckily. Regarding the PC, the only game that has somewhat justified the cost so far has been Kingdom Come. But at least I got the parts before the prices went wild so it's not that bad I guess. At least I don't need to upgrade for the foreseeable future. And let's be real - there's no reason to. The only games worth playing nowadays are indies, oldschool shooters, cRPGS and, if we get lucky, big IF, maybe there's a decent immersive sim here and there. Hopefully.

Regarding preorders, a wise man once said:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
aVvsYM5.png

Tiger

Learned
Elite Dangeeous Beta. £50 down the drain. I found £10 on the street recently. I need to find another £40 before I die to go to my grave in peace.

Numanuma. Cargo cult: The Game.

:negative:

Also RE3 remake. Got it at half price, thinking it would be close to RE2 remake:argh:
You beat the game in like 4-8hr and there is almost no replayability, gameplay is nothing special either.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I bought a compilation (for 30$) of Knights of Honor, a shitty Crusader Kings clone, some Pirates! clone that wasn't much better, and Patrician 3, which I didn't care for. Since this was at a time where I didn't buy many games and piracy wasn't an option, this hit really hard.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I regret my fair share of game purchases, but one of the worst ones is that I bought Dragon Age Inquisition. I'd sworn I wouldn't do it after the dumpster fire that DA2 was, but the pretty graphics and 10/10 GOAT reviews suckered me in.

I'm not sure if they ever changed this, but you had to hold a mouse button down to autoattack and it would lock your character in place. So if you were a hair too far away, you would sit there swinging at nothing like a retard. I uninstalled shortly after realizing that.

:despair:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Wasteland 2 kickstarter, POE kickstarter and Nu-Torment kickstarter.
Contributed to all of them, but never played them.

What the hell happened? You'd think after a decade or so in the wilderness they'd have a ton of great ideas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom