Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most regretful purchases?

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I don't really regret purchases except a few games. I pre-ordered Witcher 3 but never played it and still need the DLCs. I never play games at release, so I def. should not pre-order something. An Indie game named Payroll - I thought the artstyle was cool and hoped for an interesting pretentious experience but it felt just weird and loose. I backed the Kickstarter for Geneforge but felt betrayed since the release price was cheaper than the backing price (10% off) but maybe that's just common practice.

Curratum

Preordered Might and Magic X Legacy with bright-eyed silly hopes of a proper revival of the series. Turned out to be a steaming hot turd.

More or less the same with Bard's Tale 4.

Pinball FX3 Williams / Bally tables - the dev sold their asses to Epic and abandoned the FX3 platform. Now they're releasing remakes of the tables in UE4 on Epic, coming next year to Steam, and existing buyers will be made to re-purchase the same tables in the new engine...

Resident Evil 7. Horribly dumb story, literally two non-boss enemies throughout the game, over and over again. No idea how people thought this game was good in any capacity.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The three that stand out the most for me would be:

Ultima IX: My goodness how can you kill such a beloved franchise so quickly... oh, hello EA :mad:! I thought Pagan was pretty bad but at least it was still somewhat an Ultima.

Deus Ex Invisible War: After the brilliance of the original I had high hopes. This was the first game for me that showed the deadly influence of consoles on PC gaming. Tiny levels, unified ammo, etc... i.e. the dumbing down of level design and gameplay.

Broken Age: The Kickstarter hype in 2012 was huge, I mean HUGE! Those old Lucas Arts games are such fond memories for me and here was one of the creators promising a true return to PC gaming goodness with even a retro boxed edition! Then it was released (after many, many delays) and... what the... what is this?! Only one half actually released! Sure didn't look like my beloved Lucas Arts games... and the actual gameplay (puzzles)?! Wasn't until later I read Schafer took all our $millions$ and made a game for his little girl. Plus apparently we weren't playing it right :?.

The greatest disappointments come from the follow-ups to the greatest games made. This is true for almost any type of entertainment be it movies, books, albums, etc.

:negative::negative::negative::negative:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The greatest disappointments come from the follow-ups to the greatest games made. This is true for almost any type of entertainment be it movies, books, albums, etc.

That's just regression toward the mean

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Dragon Age 2 - For obvious reasons.

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear CE
- The transition from BG1 -> BG2 should have stayed a mystery. Story was a fucking mess, and so were the new NPC's and their reimagination of the old ones. I basically paid 200€ for a shiny, but good looking coin.

Kingdom Under Fire Heroes -
Absolutely terrible "sequel" to KuF: Crusaders. Pathfinding is still broken, and some missions almost become impossible to beat. The new voice acting is absolute garbage. The music is forgettable, and the campaign is filled with incredible boring skirmish matches.

My PlayStation 3: Bought it late it its lifecycle to play the praised console exclusives (i.e. Uncharted and God of War) and didn't enjoy them at all. I think I spent more time watching BluRays than playing games on it.

Ditto, I bought it for Persona 5, MK vs DC and Drakengard 3 and played barely anything else out of native PS3 library - damn, I played more of PS2 stuff with 'hidden' emulator! The shit started to overheat and I had to sell it. All these games I need are 100% playable on RCPS3, Drakengard 3 runs even better (60 fps, no slowdowns) so at this point PS3 is just useless, overrated console.

Somewhere in 1999 I bought pirate 'Commandos 2' which happened to be just Command:Behind Enemy Lines rip without music, without ability to save game and with Polish voices done by Russians.

Oh, and those countless bootleg Famicon cartridges with some cool unique shit on their cover - most of them were just shameless compilation of hacks of SMB, Bomberman, Battle City, Galaxian etc.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Signal Ops, Pathologic, XIII, Freedom Force Fighters, and Daikatana (not really).

Edit: Oops, meant to say the title developed by Io-Interactive.

Last edited:
I have enough disposable income at this point that I don’t really regret purchases, I just sort of shrug apathetically and say “oh well”. Plus I almost never pay more than $15 for a game unless I know I’m going to like it.

The only game I can seriously remember being mad about buying was Escape from Monkey Island. I was a broke college student at the time, and I had to forgo beer and other fun substances plus eat at the awful school cafeteria for an entire week in order to afford the game. That one definitely stung.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
One recent "purchase" I regret was free. It was Division 2. I think I got 30 minutes into that game before I uninstalled. Barely made it past the first cutscene.

If your writers think that a good way to show off your elite operatives is to have them fire small arms (no snipers, just spray) at an armored battleship, a mile away from the shore where your Jason Bourne wannabes are... you need to fire all your writers.

How could I forget? 5.56 > Battleship hull.

Fucking hilarious.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
51V1Y1NFJXL._SX342_.jpg

I wish the game was as good as the cover art.
Like Necronomicon Ex-Mortiis, it waits for someone. Someone who will accidentally install it again.

randir14

Augur
I wish the game was as good as the cover art.
Like Necronomicon Ex-Mortiis, it waits for someone. Someone who will accidentally install it again.

This was one of my first CRPG's, I bought it after Baldur's Gate 2 thinking it would be just as good. I remember a guy and his wife in line in Gamestop in front of me buying it too, wonder what they thought of it.

Last edited:

Norfleet

If your writers think that a good way to show off your elite operatives is to have them fire small arms (no snipers, just spray) at an armored battleship, a mile away from the shore where your Jason Bourne wannabes are... you need to fire all your writers.
Hey, it works in Civ. All you need to defeat a battleship is a bunch of spear dudes.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Might&Magic 3 for the Amiga, I guess.
Paid full price, but could never get it to run past the voiced intro.

Or possibly some other Amiga game that cost nearly 1/10 of my salary.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I would have said dragon age 2 but I managed to argue my way into a refund for that.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Ultima VI for the Commodore 64. Bought it near full retail when it was first ported to the C64 about a year after its initial release (IBM?). Whoever coded this for the port did a horrible job with deciding how often you'd need to swap floppy disks but the worst thing was that there no fastloader routine. You'd have to wait 1-2 minutes just to go up or down ladders/stairs in a multi-level dungeon so I ragequit. My biggest buyer's remorse experience in computer gaming.

Pocgels

Scholar
Bannerlord. Had over 2k hours from Warband. Less than ten in its sequel.
Not so sure it's the game either. I hadn't played Warband for years by the time it came out, so I was really just buying it for the young teenager I used to be, rather than the one I was.

destinae vomitus

Educated
Diablo 3 for me. I had modest expectations going in and it turned out to be a real crock of shit, the severe disconnect issues it had during launch only helped to exacerbate its stink. A friend who I played it with happened to be one of those Diablo 2 fanatics so imagine his disappointment, he merely completely gave up on playing games for almost a decade, and got his act together while he was at it. I just settled to never buy games at full price and carried on being a fucking loser.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Chrono Trigger a few years ago.

"Just get it" they said.

"It's a great game..." they said, "...even though it's a JRPG." Never again.

Maybe also Ecco the Dolphin, because as a young kid I found the game incredibly difficult and pretty scary at the same time.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Hellgate: London full-priced pre-order. With lifetime subscription. Ouch. What can I say, I was a massive Diablo fan and was baited hard by the hype.
:despair:

On the other hand I learned the lesson and from then on I don't think I ever made an uninformed purchase of any kind (in fact I think that's what awoke my pro-consumer attitude) nor ever regretted purchasing another game.
:greatjob:

Hellraiser

Arcane
The Outer World's - I didn't listen and bought it despite the year of advance warning before it came to steam... :negative: I have to admire how the two veterans created what is best described as peak mediocrity, 100% pure blandness in all areas. The game's design in all areas seems to underline why it can be said that "compromise is a solution that satisifies neither side of the argument", it is that in game form, something that's just plain offensively average. If it was at least pure hot garbage of shitty quality we would get memes mocking it or something, instead we got a dud.

Space Base DF9 - fuck me for trusting Double Fine, even if them pulling the plug on development and suddenly dropping 1.0 was unprecedented. At least the Clockwork Empire guys went down with the sinking ship and tried to finish the game.

No Man's Sky (after 5 billion updates supposedly fixing it) - as mentioned in that thread by me the "updates fixed it" talk is bullshit to lure in suckers as old adopters hope their features get added, if enough schmucks gib hello kitty games, or how those guys are called, more money. It's superficial in mechanics and not fun to explore or indeed do anything.

Elite Dangerous - same problem with this as with no man's sky (just less THEY FIXED IT talk), the game is quite frankly boring due to being too superficial in the areas that could have been the most fun.

Battletech - I backed the kickstarter and then they fucked me over with the early DLC announcement and whoring out to Paradox, in addition to the lackluster campaign and tactical combat design. That's one way to lose all the goodwill from Shadowrun: Dragonfall I guess.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom