Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Perkel

Arcane
The patches regularly break everything, even if the modded files shouldn't be affected by what was changed.

Yeah no shit. Even modding tools are still being worked on. Expecting making mods and having no pain in early access is like expecting kingkomrade to not show up on new poll.

Most of games break mod support every patch AFTER RELEASE let alone before in early access.

This whole system..... is so heartless and corrupting
Why attribute to malice that which can more easily be explained with incompetence? The game was a mess on "release", no doubt the internals reflect this.

Generally I agree with you, but sometimes malice is at play. The whole complain is that they made some parts of the code purposely inaccessible to modders, while they could easily make them accessible. This is so the fan made mods won't compete with officially made mods.
Imagine being a small DLC dev team with a small budget, tight deadline and a ban on creativity. The idea of competing against Prophecy of Pendor or the Last Days of Third Age should give you a shiver.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Sure maybe. But as a programmer trust me when I say that a lot of things that seem like they should be easy aren't always. Or more specifically making certain parts of the game unhardcoded or extendible is a big pain unless you design for it in advance and with development probably having been restarted who knows how many times I would wager the codebase is a Lovecraftian clusterfuck of recycled code from various incarnations of the game cudgeled together to get something working. I'm sure a lot of those tasks are in their issue tracker but prioritized below other things.

Also you need to be a pretty big retard to not understand how many copies of warband were moved by mods. And you can have mods and DLC. And you'll sell more DLC if more people play the game because of mods etc etc. And in some cases mods help DLC sales when mods start using DLC features and then require it.

vota DC

Augur
Btw passing from m&B1 to warband they were already subpar compared to some mod. Just compare custom Battle mod in first game to custom battle in warband.

design for it in advance

I am sure I heard devs were designing the game with having better mod tools in mind than in the original.

Also you need to be a pretty big retard to not understand how many copies of warband were moved by mods
It's pretty common for artist to not understand what made their work great.

And in some cases mods help DLC sales when mods start using DLC features and then require it.
If DLC introduces some new mechanics, even if they are small: yes. But if they add only new skins I don't think so.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I am sure I heard devs were designing the game with having better mod tools in mind than in the original.

From 2017...

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/beta-faq.368223/

Will the game be moddable?
Modding has always been a huge part of the Mount & Blade series. We have greatly expanded the modding possibilities in Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord, allowing greater freedom for modders and the potential for multiple mods to be combined together. Instead of a proprietary programming language, such as the one used in Mount & Blade: Warband, Bannerlord allows modders to work in C#, an industry-standard language that will make modding much more accessible. Beyond that, we’re making our development tools for working with our custom made engine available to everyone at release. This means no workarounds or compromises but real modding support, in earnest.

And then this was just a couple months ago...

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/one-year-anniversary-recap.441490/

Modding Tools

Last, but certainly not least, we have the modding tools.

Modders have always played a key role for the Mount & Blade franchise and provide a great deal of joy and inspiration to players and developers alike. Even within the first few days of Bannerlord’s Early Access, you were hard at work to bring your creations to players. And despite not having any tools, you were able to push Bannerlord to one of the top games in terms of mods created and downloaded.

[snip where they discuss some of the modding features that are currently available]

However, with all that being said, there’s still much to be done with the tools, API, and general documentation. We want to assure you that this remains one of our goals and that we will increase our efforts in this regard.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I was always a biit weirded out that the big important Calradian banner was just a piece of red cloth.

Zeriel

Arcane
Lol, this fucking game. I came back to it after a year of a hiatus, and if anything it's gotten worse in areas. Main campaign still breaks ridiculously with hard crashes that happen 100% of the time. Sandbox "kind of" works I guess, but you're still 10x better off just going back and playing Warband.

Zariusz

Arbiter
When those turkroaches will allow modders to make total conversions, literally the main thing that sustained warband and those morons still haven't allowed adding new world maps.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Lol, this fucking game. I came back to it after a year of a hiatus, and if anything it's gotten worse in areas. Main campaign still breaks ridiculously with hard crashes that happen 100% of the time. Sandbox "kind of" works I guess, but you're still 10x better off just going back and playing Warband.

Bought it on release, full of hope. Hadn't played it in over a year :negative:

Zariusz

Arbiter

Same as me man, same as me...
:argh::argh::argh:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Same as me man, same as me...
:argh::argh::argh:
Won't be the only ones.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I have a little over 200 hours logged according to Steam but I'd say the vast majority of that was within the first two months of release.

Last run I attempted was late last year I think. The game seemed more stable but still had a lot of issues. Unlike earlier builds I found it quite difficult to make meaningful progress. I play Empire and cavalry in particular were almost impossible to train in any appreciable numbers. That alongside a bunch of still broken / unimplemented features, tons annoying balance issues and poor design choices, just made the game not very fun.

Zeriel

Arcane
I have a little over 200 hours logged according to Steam but I'd say the vast majority of that was within the first two months of release.

Last run I attempted was late last year I think. The game seemed more stable but still had a lot of issues. Unlike earlier builds I found it quite difficult to make meaningful progress. I play Empire and cavalry in particular were almost impossible to train in any appreciable numbers. That alongside a bunch of still broken / unimplemented features, tons annoying balance issues and poor design choices, just made the game not very fun.

They added a feature that lets you donate armor/weapons with a right perk to give all your guys XP. At least at the point where you could fight groups of actual soldiers and win that basically means you can train up new recruits instantly, or very quickly.

My criticisms of the game are less to do with balance or core army gameplay, and more to do with the broken campaign and complete lack of content or purpose for playing.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Yeah, the campaign mechanics are a serious issue for me too. The non-combat aspects of being a feudal lord are pretty much nonexistent and that's a huge disappointment. It basically feels like 1/2 the game is missing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
With 1.6.0 hiring nobles is a lot easier. They spawn like normal units at castle bound villages. They've also reorganised village production so that getting the horses for upgrades shouldn't be a problem.
By nobles you mean noble units like Fians or Empire horseman?

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
How is the game now, is it worth buying? How much is complete and how much is missing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom