Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't worry my friends, my sanity is no longer under threat. Thanks to a nice fella on Steam who linked me a nice mod all my troubles have gone away.

This mod here(De Re Militari) does not fix the XP gain, but the maker of the mod changes up the recruit tier by making peasants and such a separated tier that can't become KNIGHTS OF DOOM within 3 looter groups killed. Besides it curing my autism, it's a fairly realistic mod I guess. It makes peasants, low tier units much more common overall, while knights remain rare.

That is not all though. In combination with this mod here(Realistic Battle Mod) it makes stuff really fugging good combat-wise. That mod changes armor, and makes armor actually work as intended. High tier armor will stop slashing weapons, and in general lower tier weapons. So those rare badass knights now won't die to a random looter with a bag of turds to throw.

Just a shame you have to go to the modding scene to get stuff like this. I mean you would think the devs would think of these simple things, but no. But at least these mods have provided, now to hope not some random update destroys them.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I have not played this since the first EA build. All that was added is dogshit multiplayer mode?

What's the KKK if I played the game 2 after release and didn't touch it since. Worth the download or wait for "the next patch (TM)"?

vmar

Savant
Does Realistic Battle make cav a little more competent? I noticed a couple cav buffs skimming through it. It's laughable watching 40 cataphracts charge my line of Fians and not even get a single kill, then get lost and spin in circles while infantry hacks them to pieces. It sucks that cav units feel so harmless, if I see a shitload of horses charging my archers I should panic, but you can literally just ignore them.

thesecret1

Arcane
What's the KKK if I played the game 2 after release and didn't touch it since. Worth the download or wait for "the next patch (TM)"?
If you just want to kill shit in battles, then go ahead, it's good. If you want something outside the battles, it's all kinda half baked and shit. I'm basically just waiting for some good mods.

vmar

Savant
Almost right after making that post I had a battle against some Vlandian lord who only had like 75 troops, so I was half paying attention to the fight while watching tv. I turned my camera and noticed the butterlord had charged his 30 something cavalry into my archers, and it was far too late to do anything about it, no time to counter with my own cav, move infantry in to block, etc so I just kinda sat there and watched. The majority of the cav just ran straight into my archers and got stuck in a massive blob, most of them didn't even swing their weapons. Some of them ran directly through my archers, again doing no damage, and then got murdered by the infantry I sent in to clean up. Sad. In situations like that where I make a huge fuck up and don't protect weak units from cav, I should take some losses.

Granted I use Fians, and they have an incredibly high melee skill for an archer unit, but a couple days ago I spent some time in custom battle testing out cavalry charges with various troops and they all seem to have similar results. I was thinking of doing a Vlandia playthrough and spamming cav everywhere like the good old Warband days but messing around with them in custom killed any desire to rely heavily on cav. It makes no sense that I can charge 100 Banner Knights, Cataphracts, etc into a line of infantry not using shield wall or bracing formations and they just do nothing. I miss the Warband days where cavalry were fearsome. Even cheesing the game with Rhodok crossbowmen you still had to worry about tanking a full on charge without any preparation. I loved leading charges in Warband, but I feel like I mainly use cavalry as a distraction in Bannerlord. I want to panic when some butter bitch sends 80 Banner Knights my way, not just shrug it off while they all stand in a giant blob not even swinging their weapons.

Much as this game pisses me off I still love it tbh, I just don't understand how they spent so much time on this game and this is what we get. Such a step back from Warband in so many ways. Apparently the full release date is March 30, at the rate they're going I really don't see how that's possible. Once mods like Kingdom Come get a release I'll probably never touch Vanilla again anyway, modders will fix it.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I've never been able to understand why a horse at full gallop running into a dude only does scratch damage. I imagine the horses in that context would have a tendency to shy away from direct contact, but even on a glancing hit you would still be knocked down and seriously injured, if not killed.

The whole point of heavy cavalry is that in an open charge on good terrain they are basically unbeatable. But if you engage them in conditions where they can't use their speed, they're fucked.

M&B has never really gotten this right, not even in Warband. Heavy cav were just OP there because they had so much armor, and the horses they rode had a ton of HP and armor as well.

vota DC

Augur
I agree, and maybe it's an oversight or mistake, but I think maybe it's intended to stop people just making cavalry lawnmowers every battle
They should nerf cavalry only when slowed and unhorsed. Right now Is little more than infantry with additional hp because they have horse. Bracing is ok and they should give a stun when the knights Is dehorsed (and more chance to being dehorsed before horse death) while improving horse charge, also they should make couching more unpredictable (like changing lance direction switfly before impact) because warband had horse tanks playing bowling rather than skilled knights mass skewing enemies.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I agree, and maybe it's an oversight or mistake, but I think maybe it's intended to stop people just making cavalry lawnmowers every battle
They should nerf cavalry only when slowed and unhorsed. Right now Is little more than infantry with additional hp because they have horse. Bracing is ok and they should give a stun when the knights Is dehorsed (and more chance to being dehorsed before horse death) while improving horse charge, also they should make couching more unpredictable (like changing lance direction switfly before impact) because warband had horse tanks playing bowling rather than skilled knights mass skewing enemies.
Until they implement that horses hitting trees has a good chance at rider falling from it and horse receiving damage any other buffs to horses are pointless. Currently using cavalry in forests is not a big penalty.

dehimos

Augur
Patch Notes e1.6.5 https://www.taleworlds.com/en/News/487
Beta Patch Notes e1.7.0 https://www.taleworlds.com/en/News/486

• Added the new Order of Battle system.
    • A new deployment screen has been added which appears before every battle mission if the player's side of the encounter has at least 20 troops and the encounter is not a sally-out while the player is attacking.
    • Players can divide their troops by troop types into different formations, using percentage sliders.
    • Players can give preference to "Shield", "Spear", "Throwing" and "Heavy" troops in these formations with combinations of these filters (one or more filters can be enabled).
    • Players can assign captains to these formations if they're the encounter leader. They can assign themselves to an empty formation if they're not the encounter leader.
    • Players can give starting orders to these formations and place them before the battle starts.
    • Values (sliders, filters) set in the OoB are saved between encounters.
    • We've also improved the formation cards in the order UI. They now include an explicit number of troops with their types, ammo bar and morale of the formation.

:hailcthulhu:

Zanzoken

Arcane
Is there even a mod community to speak of anymore? Feels like last time I looked none of the top mods had been updated in over a year.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there even a mod community to speak of anymore? Feels like last time I looked none of the top mods had been updated in over a year.

I found a couple I use, I assume they will be broken now again. Easiest to find stuff that works is just to search for latest updated on Nexus. But the modding community seem really damn small :/

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm sure there are plenty of people with plans for mods, it's just that people who are intelligent enough to make quality mods are also smart enough not to waste their time modding an unfinished and constantly changing codebase.

vota DC

Augur
I'm sure there are plenty of people with plans for mods, it's just that people who are intelligent enough to make quality mods are also smart enough not to waste their time modding an unfinished and constantly changing codebase.
Not only unstable but also more difficult, there are very few tools and few guides about where to find lines to change. Technically with direct xml editing instead of phyton would ease modding (no need to compile) but most content Is still obscure or hardcoded. In old warband without compiling python you could just edit ini or change some Numbers with tools .

deuxhero

Arcane

What are you using to determine "top mods"? If you're going off Nexus's popular of all time, a good chunk of them are obsolete either because the game supports the included feature by default, or because another mod has done it better. Otherwise a lot of the more extensive mods to be have posted their end of year updates within the last 14 days
https://www.moddb.com/games/mount-blade-ii-bannerlord/mods?sort=dateup-desc

Gumsmith

Educated
Went and got the game earlier, mostly having fun although I'm starting to get bothered by the AI's atrocious accuracy with throwing axes and javelins. They'll consistently try to hit the space above the enemies's heads rather than their torsos, leading to barely any hitting. What's that about? This quirk seems to let them hit horsemen (i.e. you) just fine however, making javelin troops perfect for the AI to murder the player but practically useless when the player fields their own. Most annoying.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Questionable AI is the main reason for most issues in the combat system. Since the AI is shit, PvM and MvM combat work entirely different, even more so if you also start to change group sizes. They try to fix that with balancing, which ruins things, like cavalry.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I tested out the 1.7 and it feels like melee troops are now extremely prone to attrition from just about anything. Like, I had a fight between some T2 infantry and a bunch of looters and the looters just slaughtered almost all of them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tested out the 1.7 and it feels like melee troops are now extremely prone to attrition from just about anything. Like, I had a fight between some T2 infantry and a bunch of looters and the looters just slaughtered almost all of them.
Yes t2 infantry is elite of the elite lol. You didn't tell us how many troops were on each side... T2 infantry are basically looters with weakest armor. T1 are peasants with pitchforks and shit, those are worse than looters.. I don't have a clue what did you expect would happen... You just gave your peasants weakest armor and weapons they don't know how to use..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom