Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Turisas, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Old One Arcane

Old One
    Mount & Blade III is going to be killer though.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Catacombs Arcane Patron

Catacombs
    Like what?

^ Top  
  3. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    My buddies moan ecstatically and make animal noises in the microphone while I masturbate shamelessly.

• Informative x 3
    • Salute x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Mountain Braid multiplayer does have some similar sub-communities to ARMA, such as the ones for Napoleonic mods that LARP as line infantry. Luzur

^ Top  
  5. Zariusz Arbiter

Zariusz
    Happily it seems that In the name of Jerusalem 2 is still going strong.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gradenmayer Learned

Gradenmayer
    I have not played this since the first EA build. All that was added is dogshit multiplayer mode?

• Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    You mean those turbo autistic ones that ban you for not following orders like its real life. Woooow.

• incline incline x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    They also added a lot of quests, weapons, models, optimized everything. I am not sure if they already added battle maps based on where you are on main map, I am waiting for that to do another run.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    Taleworlds already tried that, no updates for months while they were "refactoring". Didn't seem to help all that much.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    I said it a long way back, but you can tell how fucked their codebase and how deep their technical debt is because basic scripting calls can cause hard crashes. Basically when a script fails, the game itself bluescreens. That's a level of fuck-up that's hard to describe.

• sad sad x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    Yeah, I've worked in fucked codebases before, it's an endless story. A truly Sisyphean task if there ever was one. The only real solution is to rewrite the whole damn thing (because you need to change the whole architecture if you want to be rid of these issues), but the management will never allow it because they'll balk at the prospect of redoing months of work. And so you'll spend those months endlessly fixing something that's inherently fucked, leading you to something that's sort of less broken in the sense that it doesn't crash so much anymore, but still just as fucked in the sense that the moment you try adding any new functionality, it'll all start breaking down again.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    The sad thing to me is they already took a fucklong time to get to where they are right now. It took them almost a decade to write what they have, so if they started anew... jesus fuck, do you want to be coding on your deathbed? They took as long to reach an alpha engine stage as they took to make all of Warband's content, expansions, full releases, etc...

^ Top  
  13. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    It all depends on just what exactly you do with said "refactoring". We "refactored" our codebase many times too (by the way, just another show the codebase is fucked. You do not need refactoring time if your codebase is in good order). There's a big difference between refactoring some scripts so as to make them more readable and less error-prone, and between straight up deleting an entire feature or several in order to re-do the very core of how it works. The former helps but doesn't really solve the core issue, the latter is too radical for most managements to allow.

Yeah, no idea what the situation in the company must be like for them to take this long.

^ Top  
  14. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    For someone complaining so much, you sure are addicted to this game.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Strap Yourselves In Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I love combat in this game, it's so fluid, accurate, excellent, fun and addictive.

Unfortunately everything else in this game is trash :negative:

Annoyed, I uninstalled BL multiple times only to come back next day because no other game has such a good combat. That alone makes multiplayer fun, even with servers crashing half of the time and other irritating quirks. There's just no other game like this, now I can't go back to the outdated combat of warband or chivalry.

• Despair x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Did you ever play Mordhau?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    It does, but only a handful per match usually.

^ Top  
  18. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    First impression of the game is pretty bad. Where is the fun? Combat is a chore, your character is MUCH weaker than his troops so you're left spectating for the most part. Ai takes ages to mop up small groups of looters. Autocalc is a joke, 3 looters will kill 2-3 Elite Cav. Mounted combat remains a clusterfuck of terrible controls, but seems even worse. I'm tired of running enemies over for 1 dmg while the couched lance misses because...reasons. Enemies stun lock you all the time (even out of a fucking mounted charge), raiding villages got nerfed into being total shite, raiding caravans is impossible because THEY MOVE AT INSANELY HIGH SPEED and I can't catch 'em*, trade is unfun as rumors seem to come from the ether and the game doesn't even bother to tell you what the "base" price of an item is. Character look worse than Oblivion, battles are still small potatoes scale, multiple "Empire" factions is a shitty escuse for lame copy-pasting, UI doesn't help you keep track of opinions/good places for recruitment, KINGS are STILL trusting some guy they just met to collect their taxes, CHARNAME's family looks ugly and stupid and I regret rescuing them.

In short, the only improvement from Warband is turning sheep into items and removing herd mechanics. Everything else is a straight up downgrade.

OH and Steam reviews are "Very Positive" so I guess I must be playing a different version from all the cool kids.

*: Inb4 "just buy more horses hurr" -> STFU. Caravans aren't supposed to outrun small raiding parties and they didn't do so in Warband. This is something the original got right but the sequel managed to botch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    You haven't experienced the joys of Bannerlord until you spent two days chasing a 12 man band of bandits.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    So the sane thing was to uninstall and forget about the game, but I have a 5+ yo Codex account, so ofc I went for the non-sane thing and tried to fix the game with mods EXCEPT...

all the top mods on the Nexus don't work with the current game version and most modders seem to have ragequit development like a year ago. After numerous crashes I gave up in frustration and finally uninstalled this broken piece of shit. Interestingly enough, the game never crashed for me in its shitty vanilla state.

Man, srly, I JUST WANTED TO RAID A MOSLEM CARAVAN. That's all I wanted to do and STILL the game failed miserably at that. When I finally got the speed mod working the game just crashed after loading the battle. AGAIN. Fuck this shit.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    I wanted to write a long post but I think this is more appropriate: Learn to Play noob.

I have lots of fun doing battles and my character is not weaker than another single soldiers. I usually get 10 to 20 kills per battle. Of course you are weak at start, you are not much more than a peasant. Train your skills and get better gear and you will become a force to be reckoned with.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    And still instantly die to a random javelin...

^ Top  
  23. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    If you are on horseback don't slow down when in enemy part of the map.
    If you are on foot don't be an idiot that charges before everyone. You go behind first line and take out enemy units on edges or those that pass through the line. Use longer melee weapons. Short fast weapons are only good for 1v1 which happens mostly in Arena, not on battlefield.

And of course you can be an archer and kill many from safe area.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.