Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review MTV doesn't like Risen

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen

MTV <a href="http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/03/03/risen-review-standing-up-for-mediocrity/">reviews Risen</a> (XBox version) and they sound angry.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The hack-and-slash combat is crucial; it's a means to progress and a key to exploration. It's also not very good. Connecting is the issue. Most enemies auto-detect melee attacks, parrying or evading 90% of the time, making the already dull all the more tedious.
<br>
<br>
It would have been nice to stay in "Risen" when I was drawn in, but all the bad design choices, from the leveling to the UI to the quests (coupled with the technical issues) obliterated my ability to be entertained. This is a bad port of an unpolished game that doesn't cater to the user in any respect. Stay away.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Confirm/Deny?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14492">RPGWatch</A>

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
game that doesn't cater to the user in any respect.

OH NOES.

Anyway, this 'review' sure is shitty. It's more like an ABC list of features not a review.

Kraszu

Prophet
Combat is tedious becouse your opponents actually can block, or evade your attacks? Guess it would be awesome if you could just press x, and watch them die.

zappater

Novice
I'm surprised if anyone takes it seriously considering how badly written it is. Except for the fact that its less of a review and more of a bullet point list, it also does not support any of its claims by written examples or screenshots. A waste of time to read.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Kraszu said:
Combat is tedious becouse your opponents actually can block, or evade your attacks? Guess it would be awesome if you could just press x, and watch them die.
The review has a point, combat does get tedious towards the later chapters. But it has more to do with the amount of it you have to do, rather than the quality of it.

Murk

Arcane
they should stick to terrible society-corroding 'reality' shows

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
r00fles

They're playing it on console so they're console players. Also MTV. Which means they're retarded console playing mainstream people who can't appreciate challenge.

Crichton

Prophet
I suppose only someone who's played the Xbox version is qualified to comment on this raft of "technical issues". I've played through Risen once and the only problems I had with it were a) There's nothing to do after the first chapter except kill lizardmen and b) the ending is garbage. I had no technical/UI/frame rate/journal/whatever problems. The combat system is also quite nice, it's a huge step up on Gothic I/II since you can actually block properly and there's real hit detection.

Kraszu said:

He is correct about them detecting your blows without a realistic reaction time. Didn't bother me, thoug, since you can sidestep and the like.

I just wonder what "cater to the user" means. Friendlier interface? Quest compass?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom