Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Multi-staged Phase-base combat.

Human Shield

Augur
We have talked a lot about turn-based (JA2), phase-based (Laser-squad Nemesis), and Bioware style shitty RTwP that everyone calls simultaneous turn-based.

I had a thought the other day of a staged phase-based combat and why has no one done it.

Movement phase, Attack phase, like a wargame. All players set move orders, they are executed and then everyone gives shooting orders and they are done at the same time. This avoids the main issue in phase based of firing at units that walk out of sight or having to issue opportunity fire commands. And even if the unit you are targeting wants to run out of sight the program can calculate the best time to fire and fire before they move.

MetalCraze

Arcane
oh god damn - I read the topic title as multi-headed...
anyway - phase combat is meh
and moving phase/attack phase won't eliminate the problems. what if it's an enemy sniper - and blaam - you can't move because you can only shoot - so he will pop your team like bubbles while you even won't be able to take cover.
nah.

turn-based combat with the interception of moves like in Silent Storm f.e. - all the way.
at least you will be able to send someone in the middle of the hell to heal your wounded unit.

Jormungandr

Liturgist
skyway said:
and moving phase/attack phase won't eliminate the problems. what if it's an enemy sniper - and blaam - you can't move because you can only shoot - so he will pop your team like bubbles while you even won't be able to take cover.
nah.
Then make it so that you can exchange your action phase for a movement phase (but not the other way around, of course). Or that you can take your action or movement phase in either order you want. Just so that instead of each person taking their entire turn before the next person can act, each person only takes part of it. Basically, it breaks down into people taking smaller turns

While a CCG rather than CRPG, the Buffy card game featured this sort of turn setup. Everyone takes turns moving, then everyone takes turns acting, etc. It was OK for a card game. And, of course, there were some characters who could attack during the movement phase, which made things interesting.

mirrorshades

Liturgist
Human Shield said:
Movement phase, Attack phase, like a wargame. All players set move orders, they are executed and then everyone gives shooting orders and they are done at the same time. This avoids the main issue in phase based of firing at units that walk out of sight or having to issue opportunity fire commands. And even if the unit you are targeting wants to run out of sight the program can calculate the best time to fire and fire before they move.
This is usually older (or old-style) wargames; I think it is a throwback to the boardgames, where it's easier to do all the moving at once and then all the attacking at once, instead of trying to remember which of your 200 units has already moved or shot, etc.

I've played some wargames that work this way, and it can be a bit cleaner, but doesn't allow for some tactics that would be possible in an "open" system. Example: I have two units in different locations on the map, and a third unit that I wish to use as reinforcements. What I want to do is see how the combat goes, then move my reinforcement unit towards either one or the other. If I have to do all my moving first, I have to decide before the combat which one I think will be worse off... or, I have to wait another full round to move towards the unit, which may be too late.

Works okay once you get into the swing of it, but if someone is used to a more open system, it feels like you're playing with handcuffs on.

Human Shield

Augur
skyway said:

He would get one shot and its your choice to end your movement in the open.

mirrorshades said:
This is usually older (or old-style) wargames; I think it is a throwback to the boardgames, where it's easier to do all the moving at once and then all the attacking at once, instead of trying to remember which of your 200 units has already moved or shot, etc.

I've played some wargames that work this way, and it can be a bit cleaner, but doesn't allow for some tactics that would be possible in an "open" system. Example: I have two units in different locations on the map, and a third unit that I wish to use as reinforcements. What I want to do is see how the combat goes, then move my reinforcement unit towards either one or the other. If I have to do all my moving first, I have to decide before the combat which one I think will be worse off... or, I have to wait another full round to move towards the unit, which may be too late.

Works okay once you get into the swing of it, but if someone is used to a more open system, it feels like you're playing with handcuffs on.

In your example combat would play out for both units at the same time and then goes right back to movement in which you can reinforce or try to escape.

You could probably aim during the movement phase or assign a second move action during movement phase (but should show a ghost image to your enemy of where you are going to move during shooting, it happens at the same time so they could shoot at you while you move). Their could also be overwatch to automatically shoot at opportunity targets during the next movement phase.

I think more depth can be better then open if it plays better. A good cover and concealment system (with smoke grenades), detailed movement and firing modes, good morale and suppression system, and a realistic wounding system.

This system can make it faster to play SP and allows large multiplayer games.

Andhaira

Arcane
Wizardry 8 had a similar system, or at least as close as you got. At least in rpgs. pc Strategy games also have hadsimilar systems, though I cannot rite now recall any names.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom