Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Multiplayer turn-based CRPG?

Klarion

Arcane
Is there any CRPG out there that is turn based and has multiplayer support so that you can make parties with your real friends and not NPC's only?

Last edited:

animlboogy

Learned
Sword Coast Legends randomly generates everything you try to place, so it's like the PC is DMing for you anyway.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have often wondered there HAS to be a D&D geek that works on IBM's Big Blue, I would bet it has played a D&D session at least once?

Klarion

Arcane
Uh no.

True AI is at least 40-50 years away (if it's even possible).
How about if you took Fallout 1 & 2(for example) and added multiplayer to them? So you have your IRL buddies playing with you and doing quests instead of Sulik and Vic(the recruitable NPCs in Fallout 2).
That's not much different than playing tabletop RPG with your friends, only difference is that computer is a DM here.

Are you saying that kind of stuff requires 50 years of technology development? LOL

How about if you took Fallout 1 & 2(for example) and added multiplayer to them? So you have your IRL buddies playing with you and doing quests instead of Sulik and Vic(the recruitable NPCs in Fallout 2).
That's not much different than playing tabletop RPG with your friends, only difference is that computer is a DM here.

Are you saying that kind of stuff requires 50 years of technology development? LOL

:hmmm:

If you really don't see the difference between what you're proposing and having an actual DM then I suspect you have never played PNP or have only played it with the shittiest most rail-roading DM ever.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Don't think so. Dungeonland, maybe? Did it have AI DM's?

Not an RPG, obviously, but Left4Dead did have a sort of quasi-DM/AI that tracked players progress and reacted accordingly.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
How about if you took Fallout 1 & 2(for example) and added multiplayer to them? So you have your IRL buddies playing with you and doing quests instead of Sulik and VicL

You could do that in Baldur's Gate 2 :P

Klarion

Arcane
You could do that in Baldur's Gate 2 :P
doesn't have turn-based combat.

If you really don't see the difference between what you're proposing and having an actual DM then I suspect you have never played PNP or have only played it with the shittiest most rail-roading DM ever.
yeah, there's difference, but it's still DM in it's core.... Maybe not perfect DM, but still.

Last edited:

Klarion

Arcane
How is this topic for MMORPG section if what I'm looking for is basically D:OS and similar games ?

Are you saying D:OS is MMORPG?

There's huge difference in multiplayer RPG like Baldur's Gate 2 and MMORPG's. I'm looking for something like that but with turn based combat. Put this topic in RPG section please.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I sort of played "X-Com : Terror from the deep" like that with a friend. Each of us controlled half the troopers in every squad. It was good fun.

pippin

I think Banner Saga has a multiplayer game as well? Probably not what you are looking for, but I guess it's worth checking out. It's F2P on steam right now, but you have to pay for different "packs".

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron

this solves all 99 of your problems. as long as a tb aint one
http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/

Last edited:

Ironmonk

Augur
If you don't have a problem with the anime visual, then you can try Dofus http://www.dofus.com/en Its a game that received and still receives constant updates and its already 12+ years old... I played the game during the time that PvM was the focus of the game, and then quit when it changed the focus towards PvP.

Its turn-based, you can multi-account if you want (max 8 characters per fight), the game has lots of content enough to suck a good amount of months of your life if you like it.

A recent single player game that feel kinda similar the way it plays is Telepath Tactics, if you enjoy one, its a sure thing that you will enjoy the other IMO.

The big problem of this game IMHO its that the company that runs it, its a crap french company that don't gives a shit to you.... support its almost non-existent and when it works usually takes weeks (usually months) to get a automated reply asking you to do stuff you already have done and pointed out on your ticket.

But hey, you can try it for free and check the free players area to see if it suits you.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
damnit. coulda sworn it was.
same with ultima 6 online.
maybe advance wars, telepath tactics, xcom...more srpgs than crpgs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom