Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Music you use during your games?

PapaPetro

I like to get anachronistic while playing:

I imagine a plane shifting bard playing the best cover jams of the multiverse.

I kept telling you guys, Bards are OP.
Look at David Lee Roth ffs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruuce

Literate
The hardest part for me is making a proper playlist for the feel I want it to evoke while being tone retarded. Usually I find a lot of songs that sort of fit then meander forever until I give up and stick with the kinda meh one I have already.
I'm also not running fantasy so I can't google "Swampy Cave near Sneedhaved from S-69 OST" and get a dozen playlists already.

However there's some good examples of non-fantasy/different type of fantasy lists like https://www.youtube.com/@Musicof40K/ which I use since the setting is fairly close to 40k already.

For V:TM, I prefer either the "Music from the Succubus Club" CD, which you can find in the high seas (there's no fucking way I'm paying 400 euros for a second hand CD):

Or some Sisters of Mercy, they even look the part on their videos:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Lately I am listening to this terrific album while playing through Hearkenwold,

Perfect for DnD adventures in low to mid magic setting.

It depends on the game. With Victoria 2, I basically used whatever classical music I felt like listening.

I've been playing Morrowind recently and I prefer to remove the music altogether, with the exception of taverns where I listen to the tunes of the AURA mod.

Carmageddon had a soundtrack composed of a few instrumental Fear Factory songs, which I actually prefer to the standard versions. Later I found
out that they released a bunch more instrumentals, including the entire Demanufacture album, although I only found them on Youtube. While I'm not a huge FF fan, the instrumentals are great background material for a certain kind of game:

This got me thinking about using other metal instrumentals in the same vein. Unfortunately, most instrumentals are very proggy,
which was not what I was looking for. Here are some that go more or less well together (I can't post the links because of the limit):

Dark Angel - Cauterization
Master - Terrorizer
Gorguts - Waste of Mortality
Destruction - Upcoming Devastation, Thrash Attack
Rigor Mortis - Welcome to Your Funeral

The most obvious choice, otherwise, is ambient stuff, which I don't listen to a lot, except Brian Eno and Aphex Twin(not much anymore). Eno's Ambient 4 is my favorite and I've listened to it a million times while playing games and modding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom