Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

deleted

freetiamat

Novice
deleted

Last edited:

Eric454

Novice
POD was a fun play through, particularly that it actually made fine long bows and arrows a useful stratatgy. I played it with a lot of dual classed humans, I should try again hacked with multi class demis. Sounds like fun.

Null Null

Arbiter
LOL. Wish I'd seen this earlier. I should check the Playgrounds. This is really quite amusing to someone like me who played it when it came out. "I don't like the game, so I changed it." You discovered FRUA, I hope.

I agree with all of this, actually. The game used 1st ed rules (though Gothmenes, Kalistes, and Tanetal have clearly 2nd ed tanar'ri stats, but without any spell-like abilities), which really nerfed demihumans. Of course even 2nd ed demihumans would have been too wimpy for Pools.

I was kind of disappointed Shal never got her mage levels back. Ever notice how all the NPCs were fighters, though? The reason is that the AI is monumentally stupid (remember, the game is from 1991) and NPC mages were notorious for blowing up the party (most famously Akabar bel Akas in Curse). That was more or less fixed but they're not great at holding their fire when the monster is immune.

BTW, you can take your Pools of Darkness party into Treasures of the Savage Frontier. Remove them from party, copy the files, and add them into a new game. A couple of the items get messed up, but you can drop Delayed Blast Fireballs on that giant sea of troopers in Geildarr's Keep and the like.

You can also take a party from Curse into Gateway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom