Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst remake by Cyan

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://cyan.com/games/myst/

https://af.gog.com/game/myst?as=1649904300

Not RealMyst, reimagined version they say. Also with VR support.

Explore the surrealistic Ages of Myst in a new dimension!

Welcome to Myst: the starkly beautiful island, eerily tinged with mystery and shrouded in intrigue. Explore the deeper connections and uncover a story of ruthless family betrayal.

Cyan, the indie studio that created the beloved classic, has reimagined Myst. Built from the ground up to play in VR and flatscreen PC with new art, sound, interactions, and even optional puzzle randomization, the highly anticipated Myst VR experience has finally arrived!

Journey to the Ages, unravel the puzzles, and become part of the epic story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neuromancer

Augur
I don't really know, what to think of this.

I mean, I am huge fan of the Myst series and I also was happy about the RealMyst remake, since finally you were able to walk through and look around all the scenes that were just static images before.

But this must be now the 5th version/remake/remaster/whatever of this game?
Myst => Myst: Masterpiece Edition => Real Myst => realMyst: Masterpiece Edition => MYST the reimagined version

This might set a new record for the game with the most remakes for (more or less) the same system. ;)

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

I mean, I am huge fan of the Myst series and I also was happy about the RealMyst remake, since finally you were able to walk through and look around all the scenes that were just static images before.

Myst => Myst: Masterpiece Edition => Real Myst => realMyst: Masterpiece Edition => MYST the reimagined version

This might set a new record for the game with the most remakes for (more or less) the same system. ;)

Agreed. Also seems odd considering they haven't even finished Firmament...

El Presidente

Arcane
Wow. I'm a massive fan of Myst but I'm also not so sure about this. It does look incredible though. I hope it turns great. I'd be way happier if they gave this treatment to Riven though, and I think almost any other Myst fan would too. As good as this looks we already have realMyst Masterpiece which is good enough for this same purpose.

v1rus

Arcane
I completed Myst recently for the first time and enjoyed it a lot. Sadly, havent completed the bonus world, and I lost my save.

I wonder, will this be a GFX remake, or will they change puzzles too.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This is nice and all, but couldn't they do it for a different game in the series? Or one of their pre-Myst games? When you get down to it, this is like the sixth time Myst Island has been depicted with a shiny new coat of paint. (fifth was in one of the endings to Myst V) Is this really what Cyan has to do to pay the bills, do Myst again?

Casual Hero

Augur
You can meme it all you want, but it is the only game in the series that needs a proper remake. Riven is getting a remake made by a devoted group of fans and it's looking great (Cyan even blessed the project), and Myst 3-4 still look and play just fine.
Myst is the only one that is getting a little rough around the edges.

So you can mock it, but I welcome it with open arms. Come to me, Myst re-re-remake, I will take care of you...

Dexter

Arcane
ss_3094ed1ffb0e93748cedb692541d63ac8d1fb8bf.jpg
ss_1b762cc238396ea0027778c0010cc19bff29da89.jpg
ss_950f6f410b4ed01bed0f7694438c9ae09d62415c.jpg
ss_6588e14e4a663882b588b582e98b7a4b7ff349a5.jpg
ss_405d9621fcf72dd157d37b3a424958701df274e3.jpg
ss_5ec764385d2a40a7763db69523bd01b9c0e200e8.jpg
ss_9faed110a8c6e832494bd394840705f987abb730.jpg
ss_44deca6017742766083d4ca10549092075a5cf4f.jpg
ss_e2af91cff545b49af23d672fef165aea8f631d91.jpg
ss_c4266ea8547369ab119f6bd5953039cbdc010a2d.jpg
ss_3fba594a2ba14ce05790bb84cd3472b3f45e5347.jpg
ss_2ff449e0bc6a7ef0b821e94e9fa240c24e7051c0.jpg

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
This Bloom effect splashed onto everything looks awful.

Just like Bioshock Infinite, another example of bloom overusing

1507108-infiniteexclusive03.jpg

360_012.png

bioshock-infinite-igra-gorod.jpg

I think the remake will kill the atmosphere and the last decent remake is the realMyst Masterpiece edition 2014.

Max Heap

Arcane
If we learned anything from previous Myst remakes then it's the fact that this will probably run like ass.

Neuromancer

Augur
Agreed. Also seems odd considering they haven't even finished Firmament...
It's likely that this is just a gig between games to get some extra money - like Time Schaeffer did with all the remastered versions of his old adventures.

The trailer specifically mentions Oculus Quest at the end.
So maybe Facebook forked over some additional dough to add this to the lineup of games for the launch of the Oculus Quest 2.

Max Heap

Arcane
If we learned anything from previous Myst remakes then it's the fact that this will probably run like ass.

you mean bad performance?

Yeah.
Both RealMyst and RealMyst Masterpiece Edition had massive framerate issues at release.

Also, I don't really know why we need yet another Myst Remake when the last one came out in 2014.
I'd rather see a spin-off. I mean how often can you go through mechanical age and not get bored by it?
At this point I'm more interested in Schizm III, which is basically off-brand Myst.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

Even not considering the remakes for a given system, it has been ported for every imaginable system... it's insane.

Ulysa

Scholar
I always had this question: anyone else playing Myst as kid was a bit scared of the worlds? Just a tiny element of horror. Not sure if it was the music or just the scenary but it was like that for me and siblings :eek:

Too much Myst and too little Riven.
Yess. Riven had the most interesting gratifying puzzles I've played in a game. I played once when I was a teenager but I still remember the school with the numbers and the animals.

Casual Hero

Augur
I always had this question: anyone else playing Myst as kid was a bit scared of the worlds? Just a tiny element of horror. Not sure if it was the music or just the scenary but it was like that for me and siblings :eek:

Too much Myst and too little Riven.
Yess. Riven had the most interesting gratifying puzzles I've played in a game. I played once when I was a teenager but I still remember the school with the numbers and the animals.
Oh, I was absolutely terrified.
Finding the monkey heads in Agenar's room? The entire mechanical age... those dark, tight hallways... walking around the dark rooms in the stoneship age...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom