Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mystery Games recommendations?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Hey, what are some good mystery games? As in, less visual puzzles and similar "gamey" elements, or even short riddles, and more or mostly having to intuitively figure out an answer based on a series of clues. I have figuratively no experience with adventure games, but instead got this desire from playing that shitty Secret World beta, which still had these cool "Investigation" missions where I'd get a clue in the form of a picture or a poem, and have to research online to figure out the answer. Basically the more cryptic the game is, the better.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I can think only of this, not very complicated by the way:
In Memoriam (known as Missing: Since January in the US) is an adventure video game for Windows and Macintosh. It uses alternate reality-style gameplay, in which the player receives e-mails from other in-game characters, including the game's main antagonist. The player needs to find information and clues to the games' puzzles on the Internet, both from real websites, and from specially-created websites that have been mixed in with other "real-world" domains.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Memoriam_(video_game)

Redlands

Arcane
You should try the Laura Bow games; particularly the first one. You have to be mindful and quite often pay attention to small details to get a good score at the end, and there's only one gameish puzzle and then it's not really much of one. The second one is good as well; it just has a few problems and things I don't think are that great (a very disconnected first act, occasional bugs where you get trapped in the taxicabs, chorish game mechanics for crossing the street, etc). On the other hand, you need to pay more attention in the second one, I think, to figure out what's really going on; the first at the end kind of gives you too many clues.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
murders in space/murders in venice

look carefully at the scanned manual.

circ

Arcane
Planetfall and Stationfall. They're a little more puzzle-y than some Infocom games like say Suspended, which is pretty much just typing variations of the same keywords at the right time.

Also, later and possibly with voices depending on the version and pretty mysterious: Mission Critical from Legend.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
The Gabriel Knight games are pretty solid mystery thrillers. They also have points system/optional content that rewards investigating more than is required to advance the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom