Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    The plan is to have it try to fight for the officers body against faceless. I assume the spiritual creature can inhabit a mortal form which may be a bad assumption. Basically need a knowledge arcana check.

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Alright, suppose this is possible, but we have to free the creature to have it follow TFM, right?

How would we then be telling it that its freedom is dependant on something if he already got it?

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    ^ Top  
  3. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    You are most likely right Nevill. I vote C H>D

^ Top  
  4. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Seeing that my proposal doesn't get much support I amend my vote to:
    G>D

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    It is very similar to F/E, in that even if it workable (on which we still have to wait Fangshi's response - can't really vote for it without one), you still have to time it just right, or we are fucked beyond repair.

^ Top  
  6. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    True, but a fireball probably would do the work quite nicely, killing the guardswoman and sending him through the gate.

^ Top  
  7. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    D > F.

3 Archmages in a week is just too much.

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We don't know Fireball (it is a powerful spell unique to Warlocks who are rather protective of their secrets and tend to kill those who try spreading the knowledge), and I was of an opinion it does not quite work that way. :)

Though an explosion is an explosion, I guess.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    She is lying prone with her feet towards you. A head shot would be difficult. You would need to take her out with a single spell. Firebolt might do it but your best bet is to act as a battery for Thaïs and let her cast Greater Energy Bolt. Derryth just does not have the sort of area effect direct damage spells to pull that off and even Thaïs' best spell will only hit a single target. Lyssa could do it actually, she has an area effect spell that would be perfect but she can not cast anything at the moment. The Faceless Man is still paying attention to her and if she even begins to cast off comes her head.

The real problem is that physical damage is largely irrelevant in a realm of pure thought. This is why the officer is still alive despite missing most of her blood and internal organs (well that and the spells the Faceless Man has woven into her). She is desperately willing herself to live and the Faceless Man is taking advantage of that, he has essentially created a bridge between them using her 'blood' and 'intestines'. You need to hit her hard enough to convince her that she has 'died' at which point she likely will. One caution though, you know nothing about the spells he is using on her. It might be possible that any damage you do to her will simply pass over to him while keeping her 'alive'. If that is the case he will retaliate with extreme prejudice.

Of course if you launch the spell and it does not kill her you won't get a second chance and he will keep his promise and take it out on your allies.

If you can keep it quick sure. The Faceless Man is not really paying attention to you right now so as long as you are not yelling you should be fine.

Sure if you want to do it that way you can try but the creature may decide to immediately drop the gate as soon as it can. The spell does hurt it a fair bit.

I can add it as an option but a headshot will be quite difficult.

Yes, I am not going to troll you that way here. You have enough time to kill it or free it, that part of the plan will work. It is what comes after that is in doubt.

That... that might work. The officer believed that only a person keyed to the gate could pass through but the Faceless Man has demonstrated that the gate can be tricked so yes, you can try that if you want. You will need to convince the creature though. You would also need to keep the officer alive so that the gate stays open. You would then need to cover the creature in enough of her to trick the gate without killing her but the creature is of the dream realm, deception is what it does, it could probably fool the gate if you helped it along.

One problem might be the gate itself, it can not power the gate and cross over at the same time but it knows a way around that limitation so that should not be a problem.

The most likely outcome of that would be something like Nine, a mixture of the Faceless Man and this creature. It goes without saying that it would not be particularly stable though.

Adding as option H.

Current Tally:

Baltika9 D
    Grimgravy B
    Kipeci A>B
    Nevill D
    Kz3r0 D
    Smashing Axe A>B>E>F>C>D
    Jester B
    archaen C
    asxetos D>F

A) 2 votes
    B) 2 votes
    C) 1 vote
    D) 3 votes
    E)
    F)
    G) 1 vote
    H)

Post Flop:

A)
    B) 4 votes
    C) 1 vote
    D) 4 votes
    E)
    F)
    G)
    H)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    That's sneaky as hell, but I'd rather not release this horror with the mind of a madman and the powers of a Fallen Lord upon the world, let alone drop it on top of our allies.

If there was a possibility for Derryth to turn into an omnicidal maniac when the mind meld happens, I am afraid to think what this would turn TFM into.

Fangshi, if the spell is dropped, can the officer get to her world, or is she stuck here?

^ Top  
  11. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Here goes my plan, fine D all the way.

^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well unless you actively try to save her she is likely going to fade away within ten minutes at the most.

But yes if she somehow recovers and the gate is closed then she is stuck. There is no body for her to return to, no where for her to go.

Edit:

Well, actually there is one place for her to go. If the Faceless Man is not around you could put her in the bracelets for the time being. That might work.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    We need that to fulfil our quotas. Being white collar worker sucks sometimes.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Be thankful that we didn't glue together The Watcher while we were at it.

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Ahem.

I have an idea what TFM would be up to when he frees himself.

Seriously, how else is he going to oppose Mazzarin if he is three to five times weaker than him?
    He'll try to find the other archmages, and it probably won't be Alric. :lol:

^ Top  
  16. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Then that is my primary vote - D, release the creature but while doing so ask it to help us by holding the gate spell until just the right moment to tear TFM apart. It likely does has much better control over the spell than we would have by attacking the gate directly. Yes, it hurts it to hold it open, but it only needs to hold it for a few seconds, hopefully it's grateful enough for its release to do that. And if not we would still be probably left with D, if that happens we'll see how it goes. Maybe the creature will attack him, maybe not. Maybe it will attack all of us, but TFM will again need us to survive. And if the hostage isn't killed right away we can threaten TFM that if he goes through with that we will give him to Mazzarin. That ought to give him something to think about.

D (ask the creature to hold the gate until TFM is in it, then drop it on him) > B > F

edit:

Maybe we are pushing our luck a bit too far. Flop to B > Dii

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Sure, if there are no objections from the voters that is the plan Derryth will go with in D.

Current Tally:

Baltika9 Di
    Grimgravy B
    Kipeci A>B
    Nevill Di
    Kz3r0 Dii
    Smashing Axe A>B>E>F>C>D
    Jester B
    archaen Dii
    asxetos D>F
    Zero Credibility Dii > B > F

A) 2 votes
    B) 2 votes
    C)
    D) 6 votes:
    i. 2 votes
    ii. 3 votes
    E)
    F)
    G)
    H)

Post Flop:

A)
    B) 4 votes
    C) 1 vote
    D) 6 votes
    i. 2 votes
    ii. 3 votes
    E)
    F)
    G)
    H)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Meh, I'd rather the Creature off him in it's own way. He's been here longer than us, he knows best.

^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Alright, I will split it then. All D votes will be counted together since they are so similar, the most popular variant will be the one you go with.

Di Is to let the creature do what it thinks is best, whatever that might be.

Dii Is to convince it to drop the gate on the Faceless Man.

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Assuming it even succeeds in killing the archmage, which I very much doubt, I am very uneasy about staying in the dreamscape with that creature. It is probably best for both of them to stay here when the shit hits the fan - just to be on the safe side.

But I'll go with what the others decide. I don't have a preference here.

^ Top  
  21. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Hmm trying to kill anyone who was able to survive few hundred years of attempts once screw over greatest of mages. I consider our chances to be slim and dont see reason to kill him. What did he do to us to warrant such answer?

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Him being one of the Ancient Evils aside, he betrayed us right in the middle of the mission, took one of us hostage, and tried to get free despite our clear desire to contain him (which is why he resorted to taking hostages in the first place).

And he peeped on us in the bathroom.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    He did tried to kill us once before in the mindscape, didn't he? He'll probably just keep trying until he finds a way to get back, and if we are in his way again, tough luck.

Once the creature is freed (or killed), what happens? I assume we can just return to our bodies and TFM to his bracers because the spell is no longer holding us here. We can't actually hold him here, can we? The reason I prefer the option of asking the creature to drop the gate on him is that I think the hostage may be safer that way. If we just leave it to the creature the only thing we know is that it will close the gate right away. Maybe TFM would be forced to defend himself our us against it then and the hostage will be the last thing on his mind. But maybe the creature will just leave, in which case he could take it out on her before we can point out to him just how stupid and suicidal that is. Afterwards he will be in our mercy and we know one thing he fears more that anything else.

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, first, then it would be identical to C, which defeats the purpose of having multiple choices.
    Second, the gate will still be standing. Theoretically, all TFM would need is to stall the creature and prevent its escape.
    Third, and that regards the plan to kill him in general, if he traces the attempt back to us, which is not that hard, that might put a strain on our future relationship. Trying to kill each other while being bound to each other is a bit counter-productive.
    Fourth, I am a bit afraid of the success here, even though I don't believe in it. We know TFM to an extent, the creature is unknown to us, and we've seen the army upstairs. TFM is the only one who stands between us and them.
    Five, the plan is, again, too time-sensitive. If the creature drops the gate too late, that would be a disaster. If it drops it too early, no big deal.
    Six, I kind of like the type of unwilling partnership we've had so far. He did try to kill us and have been an ass to us, but he did save us numerous times. It would be somewhat of a pity to end this strange symbiosis.

...I guess this means I am more in favor of Di, after all

^ Top  
  25. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Er, that's not the way I read this. The moment we free or kill the creature the gate will go down because the creature powers the gate and doesn't like that at all, trapping TFM with us again ("the creature may decide to immediately drop the gate as soon as it can. The spell does hurt it a fair bit.").

I'm not sure what TFM would do if the gate is closed before he goes through. Killing the hostage is a definite possibility if he is angry enough, but it is certainly not the smartest by far. If he can't use the gate he is stuck with us again. And if he then kills the hostage for revenge, well he does know what happened to the last person that betrayed us and caused a death of our party member, doesn't he?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.