Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Holy hell! I just noticed our party list have been updated! That Ithapi is smarter than we are! We must give him a scholarship training. Perhaps even make him our combat magician. I hope he makes good use of the library in our absense.

    Also, :lol: at Christine's useful skills. I hope her attitude improves once she returns back. But I'm not holding my breath, since returning to the life of adventure when you've been a queen is just as likely to make things worse.

    What's that spell and when it had been used? I remember the others, but not this one.

    And that Silver Spider Box looks interesting.

    First thing we do when we return back - if we return back - would be taking a month off to standartise our spell lists and teach our circle most of our bread-and-butter spells so that everyone could cast everything (to a reasonable extent). The spell lists of our companions look just sad compared to ours. I know they aren't the full thing and they have spells we have no idea about, but still.
     
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Chapter 27: Desperate Times

    "Well I can't do it..." you say as you shrug.

    One look at Thaïs and you can tell she feels the same way, "Yes, she deserves a chance to set things right."

    The two of you turn back to Lyssa. The witch has not moved a muscle, her eyes closed, her hands in front of her, she waits for your verdict.

    "Lyssa," you call as you and your friend approach her.

    Slowly, cautiously, she raises her head to look at each of you. She stares in silence.

    Thaïs speaks, "We can not forgive what you did. It is not our place to do so," Lyssa nods in resignation.

    "But..." you quickly add. Her eyes momentarily flare to life, hope rekindling their fire, before she quickly douses them once more.

    "But," Thaïs continues, "It is also not our place to condemn you. If you want a chance to make up for what you did then we are willing to grant it to you."

    You nod, "You are one of us and we will not abandon you if you do not abandon us."

    She sweeps forward and casts an arm around each of your necks. You wobble on your heels and just about collapse backward as she hugs you, "Thank you! Thank you! I... I can't even put it in words...I-"

    "Lyssa-" you gasp.

    "You are choking us-" your friend manages to spit out.

    She instantly releases you and takes a quick step back, "I... uh... sorry," she beams, "Thank you though. I... I was certain that you would... well... dispose of me. So... just, thank you..."

    You are genuinely happy for her, still a little suspicious of a woman that willingly served the Dark but you feel good, great in fact. For a moment you wonder if the necklaces have anything to do with how you feel, you wonder if perhaps you are being used. Quickly the idea passes from your mind like a single storm cloud on a clear, crisp day. The thought disappears into the ether and you are left with a feeling of certainty, that you have done the right thing here.

    This night is dark, it is long, but it is also filled with laughter, with joy, with peace.

    A single concern does creep to the fore though as the three of you make your way back inside.

    "Obviously we can never tell anyone else about this, not the Pathfinders, not the king, no one-" you begin.

    They both nod in agreement though something occurs to Lyssa, "You said there were no secrets within your Circle. Does that mean that we have to tell them about this?"

    It is a good question. You have until now pursued a policy of complete honesty with the other members of your Circle but you are not certain that they will handle this news well. At least not at first. Perhaps no secrets does not in fact mean no secrets... but then if you start down that road what will separate you from every other Circle out there?

    No matter what you choose to do the three of you swear to make the decision together. If you tell the truth you will make as strong a case as possible for Lyssa. If you choose to lie, or rather simply omit a few details, then you will need to perfectly coordinate your cover story.

    Thankfully this is not a choice you have to make immediately. You have time yet, you can- "Derryth. Derryth!"

    --------------------------------------------------

    You are pulled back into the present. It is early morning, four thirty, maybe five. The rest of your group is still asleep but you are up. You decided to have an early breakfast with Bari and Astrid. The king should be by in four or five hours and you want to be prepared. It should be a busy day.

    "Derryth!" Bari calls again.

    "Huh, what?" you respond absentmindedly.

    "Are you paying attention?" Bari and Astrid sit across from you at the table. Seems you missed something important.

    "Sorry," you respond, "I was daydreaming I suppose."

    Bari laughs, "What about? Some strapping young lad?"

    Astrid elbows him, "Her friend perhaps?" she gives you a sly grin. If she keeps pushing you might have to do something about this.

    You return their grins, you are not going to let them rib you without returning fire, "I am not some blushing young maid you two. If I was having that sort of problem I would have dealt with it by now. If I want something, or someone, then I take the direct approach."

    Astrid tries to lecture you, "Well she won't wait forever you know. You should speak your mind."

    Well now, two can play at this game.

    You wag your fork at her, and tap the side of your head with one finger, "I am a mentalist remember, and so is she, we know where we stand. But speaking of 'speaking your mind' when are you going to... you know?" you point your fork at Bari.

    It takes her a second to realize that you know she has a thing for Bari. Honestly it was hard to miss, you caught it as soon as you first saw them together. It was obvious. Also obvious is the fact that he has no clue. She stares at you in confusion but when that realization hits home it is completely worth it. She cycles through a number of interesting colours.

    White, as the blood drains from her face.

    Red, as she blushes under your knowing stare.

    Blue, as she forgets to breathe.

    For a moment you feel sorry for her but damn it she started this.

    He gives you both a confused look, "Did I miss something?"

    "I... um... Ihavetocheckourstockofsmokegrenades.Catchyoutwolater.Bye!" she hops up from the table and runs out of the room.

    Well now you do feel bad.

    Bari wipes the smile from his face, "What the hell..."

    "You should have a talk with Astrid, Bari," you state forcibly.

    His brows furrow, concerned he speaks, "Why? Has something happened? If she needs help then of course I will be right there for her! She is a good friend, I-"

    You shake your head, "You idiot, Bari. Are you telling me that you have never caught her looking at you when you turned your head? Never saw her gaze in your general direction for minutes at a time? Has she never dropped even a single hint?"

    "Wait you mean?" it finally hits him.

    You nod.

    "But... I mean..." he takes a deep breath and stares at his hand. At the pair of gold bands still on his finger, "Derryth... Ari..."

    "I know," you lay your fork down.

    The two of you sit in silence for an eternity. An ocean of meaning passes between you as you stare at each other.

    Finally he speaks, "Well... fuck."

    You give him a sly grin, "You really are a poet Bari."

    He laughs and you laugh with him.

    "Alright, oh great and powerful, fucking, mage. Lay it on me. What should I do?" he assumes a jovial tone but he is raw underneath. Ari is a wound that has not healed... one that probably never will.

    You are no professional though. You are not here to solve his problems and you tell him as much, you chuckle as you begin, "Bari I am your friend and I will support you as such but I have no fucking clue what the right answer is here."

    He nods, "Well I think a drink is in order."

    You are not so sure about that and he seems to pick up on your reluctance.

    "Just a little hair of the dog, Derryth, nothing more," he gets up and rummages through the liquor cabinet. He pours you each a small drink and you stand as he passes it to you.

    He proposes a toast, "To fucking impossible situations!" and you knock back your drinks.

    He drops back into his chair as you delicately sit back down.

    He rests his head on one fist, "I should talk to her right?"

    "Yep," you reply.

    Good he has decided on a course of action. Now he just needs to follow though.

    "I don't know though... is it too soon? It feels too soon. Maybe it is too soon," he begins to talk himself out of it.

    "Too soon to have a conversation?" you frown. Maybe you will have to give him a little help after all, "Quit being a coward and go talk to her. It is not like you are proposing marriage or something, just talk to her. You can go from there."

    "I don't know..." he shakes his head.

    "Do it or we will turn you into a newt," a voice threatens from behind you. You turn your head as Thaïs daintily drops down next to you.

    He looks at each of you and gives you an uncertain grin, "You can do that?"

    "Only one way to find out," you begin chanting, all bullshit but he does not know that.

    "Alright, alright!" he hops up mostly in jest but half serious as well. He heads off after Astrid.

    "Maybe some good will come of that," you mutter.

    "Hopefully," your friend answers, "He could use someone to..."

    "Stabilize him?" you beam at her.

    "Exactly!" she responds.

    "So I have been thinking," you begin as you shift topics.

    "About..." she leads you on.

    You hold up your arm and reveal your bracelet, "That officer... ah... Caoilainn, was it?"

    Thaïs nods, "Yes, that is her name."

    You float the idea past your partner, "Well we can not really help each other if we can not even communicate. So I was thinking a few magic lessons are in order but I want your opinion first."

    She considers the idea, rolling it around, tasting it, finally she renders her verdict, "Yes, I think that could work. If we can teach her enough of the theory she should be able to actually communicate with us."

    Quietly you call out, "Caoilainn, we are going to try and help you. We will begin with the absolute basics and go from there. Try to remember as much as you can but don't worry, we will repeat ourselves, several times if neccesary. Now the first thing you need to know about magic..."

    ---------------------------------------------

    The king does not come in person.

    'Too busy preparing.' You are told.

    Instead, Argus comes, alone and in disguise. He informs you that he has an escort of twenty Albrecht guards a couple blocks away, you will meet up with them and head to the palace together.

    "Good morning ladies!" the dwarf barks.

    "Morning Argus," you wave to him.

    "Good morning Sir Argus," Thaïs bows slightly.

    "Ready to leave?" he asks as he surveys the room.

    "Wait!" a voice yells from behind you. Biliku and Uttu come racing out. Uttu hops along as she tries to get her boot on, "You can't leave without us! Who will protect you!"

    "Not this time girls," you raise a hand for them to stop.

    "Why not?" Uttu moans.

    Thaïs takes over, "We are just going to pay a visit to the king, girls. It will be just a bunch of standing around and talking."

    Argus laughs, "Mostly standing around. It is the dullest job imaginable."

    Uttu nods, "That does sound boring..."

    Biliku gives her a dirty look, "That does not matter! We are their protectors! That means we protect them through the exciting stuff and the boring stuff!"

    "Oh right!" the younger girl nods, "I forgot..."

    You try a different tack, "I don't know girls. Astrid just got in a new crate of grenades... and she asked me if you wanted to help her test them all."

    Biliku hesitates, "Grenades? I... um..."

    You tussle her hair, "If you want one day off I think that could be arranged."

    "That can happen?" she looks to Argus certain that he will tell her the truth.

    He nods, "It sure can kid, happens all the time."

    "Alright then," she looks back to you, "Can we have a day off Derryth?"

    You grin, "Permission granted."

    The two of them turn to run off when Biliku halts in mid stride. She spins back on her heels, snaps you a quick salute which you promptly return and she is off again around the corner after her sister.

    "Cute kids," Argus grins, "Shall we be going now?"

    "Sure, but aren't Bari and Ori coming with us?" you reply as you walk out the door.

    He shakes his head, "No the Pathfinders do not exist and the king is under observation by a dozen friendly and hostile factions at any given time. It would be a very bad idea for any of them to be seen with him unless absolutely necessary. It would raise too many long term questions amongst our enemies."

    Makes sense you suppose.

    The three of you make your way out into the city, towards the patrol and then the palace.

    It is a quiet morning, clear, peaceful and you are really enjoying your stroll with your friend, arm in arm. The escort is nice as well. It is almost perfect, which is probably why it does not last.

    When you get within five blocks of the palace you hear the sounds of battle.

    Two blocks from the palace and you can see a large mob of cloaked dwarves walking towards the front gate directly in front of you across a wide square.

    The guards order them to stop, to disperse.

    The mob continues to slowly push forward.

    The guards point, then shout something. They lob cocktails into the crowd. Killing dozens.

    Argus frowns, "Lethal force against civilians, what in the hell..."

    A nearby building disgorges a group of thirty dwarves. They walk, or rather shamble, towards the front gate. This group is close enough that you can realize what they really are, thralls. Each wears significant armour and wields a large hammer or axe.

    You wonder how over a dozen thralls made it into the heart of the city. Still on their own they are slow and a poor match for dwarven cocktails. This should not be a problem.

    As that thought passes through your mind two real problems present themselves.

    A pack of twenty hunched, robed figures round the far corner on your left and enter the square. As they do so they throw off their robes and break into a sprint. Without their robes you can see they are clearly ghôls. Three of them carry large sacks under their arms. They are headed for the guards who have not yet detected them.

    Your second problem is a group of fifteen robbed dwarves that come floating down off a nearby roof. You quickly realize that these are Soulless, the ranged support for the thralls and ghôls in the square.

    They do not move to support the attack on the front gate however. Instead they are trying to cut over one of the side walls and down into the rear of the guards to trap them. The alarm has yet to be raised and they might just be able to pull the manoeuvre off.

    You can feel multiple mages casting from nearby buildings. Three individuals or groups of individuals but you can not see anyone. They must all be inside hiding.

    Such a bold attack, in daylight and on the palace is unsettling to say the least. These mages are obviously desperate to achieve something but the question is what.

    Still such thoughts can wait until the situation has been dealt with.

    Argus intends to lead his men to reinforce the guards at the main gate though you suspect he would be willing to consider your advice given your success against an army four times this size with a force one fifth of what you currently have available.

    -----------------------------------------------

    So you have a battle here, it has been a while but there are two ways we can do this. You can just select an option from the list or you can brainstorm an entire freeform plan yourselves. Whatever you want.

    Your Assets:

    1. Derryth - mage, mentalist, see character sheet

    2. Thaïs - mage, mentalist, see character sheet

    3. Argus - warrior, sword and shield, see character sheet

    4. 20 Albrecht guards: 10 hand weapons and shields, 5 spearmen, 5 grenadiers

    5. 5 surviving gate guards: 2 spearmen, 3 grenadiers

    Your (known) enemies:

    1. Mob of roughly thirty ghasts at the gate.

    2. Mob of thirty thralls approaching the gate through the middle of the square.

    3. Pack of twenty ghôls (3 of which carry large sacks) charging the gate from your left.

    4. Group of fifteen Soulless trying to circle around and over the wall from your right.

    5. At least three individual/groups of necromancer(s) in the surrounding buildings hiding.


    1. You choose to:

    A) All attack a single target. Simply write down which target and the most popular one will be chosen if A wins.

    B) Split up to handle different targets. List which targets and which people. The most popular combinations will be chosen if B wins.

    C) freeform - come up with an entire plan of battle yourselves. Pick this if you want to propose something incredibly complicated or clever. Feel free to ask any questions you would like, I will answer what I can.
     
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Party/Organizational Changes:

    Show Spoiler

    Biliku:

    Leaves Party

    Uttu:

    Leaves Party

    Lyssa:
    Stats:

    1. Stats revealed

    Useful Skills:
    Skills Revealed:

    1. Necromancer

    Skills Lost:

    1. Secretive

    Spellbook:
    Changes:


    1. Full(?) Spell information revealed.

    Affiliations:
    Revealed:


    1. The Dark: Necromancer, Former Necromancer?

    Leaves Party

    Caoilainn:
    Affiliations:

    Change:

    1. Prisoner changes to Student to better reflect her new role.

    Argus:

    Joins the party as an Ally.


    Also no rolls in this update.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Can we sense the scale or power of the necromancers issuing orders?
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Great update, as usual. Love the subtle touches.
    Even though our heroines became so similar they can finish each other's thoughts as if they were of one mind, they still feel distinct enough.

    As for the plan, the thralls can be left for the guards to deal with. The main problems are the Soulless, the ghols with sacks (either explosives or wight pieces), the wights themselves (I didn't realise there were wights, were there some indications that I missed?) and the mages.

    Fangshi, do our spells reach the sack-carrying ghols? Whatever plan we have, I'd prefer to start it with them detonating whatever it is they carry while they are in the middle of their brethren.

    What means of raising the alarm do we have?
     
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    ^ Top  
  6. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I think we need to take out the necromancers first. As was the case before with the undead army, taking out the controllers will make eliminating the rest much easier. That said, the ghols with the sacks (Wight flesh) are a very big danger and could blast a way through the gate if we don't act quick enough.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,872
    Dammit, I didn't expect this place to become a battleground with the undead. And now I regret not bringing our whole party and then some. Unfortunately, we can't target the guys in the building and our spells selection is not optimised for fighting the undead.

    I'm not quite sure I get exactly what is going on here. Right now I think we need to stop those with the sacks first and the soulless right after that. Searching every building for necromancers is going to take too much time (and they would have spit up and barricaded inside to make this go even longer).

    The soulless are trying to bypass the gate by going over the wall and attacking the guards on the gate in the back, right? Or are they trying to flank those 20 guards in the square?

    And those 20 guards, will they also participate in any plan we make or are they too busy and we can only count on our party?
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Wait, I thought you guys didn't want to bring everyone because you expected them to die horribly or something. Why didn't you want to bring everyone then?
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Supposing those sacks are explosives and we detonate them, how many ghols we can hope to catch in the resulting explosion?

    The situation is different now. They are hiding. We don't have a clear shot. We have to deal with what is immediately dangerous.

    That said, it is frustrating that we can't guess their goal. They obviously can't hope to overtake the whole palace.

    Because we were heading for a hearing, not to battle.

    That said, I don't regret it. Two more warriors don't really make a difference here when we have 15 times more.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I think they're just trying to recover the piece of the Watcher, which is probably stored in the palace somewhere.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Good guess, but still I don't think a frontal assault would accomplish anything.

    Maybe they are diverting attention as someone is sneaking the stone out of the palace. Do we have any means to warn the guards and control who enters or leaves the palace?

    Uttu's flare would come in handy here, I guess. Still, there might be something in our arsenal...

    Uh. Fangshi, can we have a map or something with our enemies and their targets on it? :) Just to understand what is happening.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    The two closest groups/individuals are definately weaker than you or Thaïs alone. The third individual/group furthest away on your right is roughly as powerful as you and Thaïs combined.

    Sorry, that is a mistake on my end from an earlier draft. They are not wights (that would take down the whole front of the complex), they are just regular ghasts.

    They are moving fast but if you hurry you could probably get them in spell range by the time they are three quarters of the way to the gate.

    Argus says that normally there is a horn in the guard post that could do it and he does not know why the alarm has not been raised. A big explosion could also do it probably.

    Right. You think they are trying to cut off the guards in the fortified guard post.

    The guards are with you at the far end of the square, you can send them where you like.

    The lead ghôl has a sack, the rear ghôl has a sack and one of the middle ghôls has a sack. If you could hit all three at once you could probably get the whole group but the trouble would be hitting them at once. They will probably scatter if they come under fire.



    I will attempt to draw a picture:
    A Very Rough Map:
    Third Caster Signal​
    Palace​
    ------------Gate Here--------------
    5 Guards
    Ghasts​
    ---->
    ghôls
    Soulless​
    Second Caster Signal
    Thralls
    First Caster Signal​
    You and the 20 Escorts​
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Could we cast create fire on the ghols' sacks? Does that require a lot of accuracy? Thais and Derryth could cast create fire on the front and middle sacks, while our guard supplement moves to intercept the soulless to buy the guards at the gate more time.

    Also, how difficult would it be to locate these necromancers? It seems like we have a magic radar, so pinpointing them wouldn't be too difficult, correct?
     
    ^ Top  
  14. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,872
    Well I didn't expect an undead attack in the middle of the city. I expected maybe a more conventional assassination attempt or a battle with the traitors if it comes to that, something where our mental spells would be really useful and I didn't want to risk more of our party if we didn't need to.

    Looking at the map, I don't think we can reach the third caster without killing everyone first anyway. We could take out the first two, but by then the undead would punch through the gate.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Should be doable given your stats though they are moving rapidly. You just need to keep a line of sight on them and it is a simple spell to cast.

    Correct, I did up a quick map as well.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    First things first, we raise an alarm by creating an explosion. We can hit two ghouls simultaneously with Thais, the question is with what. What has a better chance of success here, creating fire, firebolt, or taking control of the ghols (I use 'taking control' liberally here - I mean a compulsion or a similar mind trick)? What does Derryth think?

    The first two caster groups look like they are directing the ghols/thralls and the soulless. The third group is a mystery, which is why we must send a warning to the guards to keep a look on that side of the wall. I suspect whatever the plan is, it is going to be carried there.

    What means of taking down the pack of Soulless does our group have? I don't think we can engage them in melee. Grenades only?

    Edit:
    Huh. Wonder if this solves the mystery of the robed figures Ceannard reported on:
    Wonder who are the riders then.
     
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    ^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Mental spells are your strong suit but you have never tried them on a ghôl before. It might be easier or it might be harder to pull off. Create Fire is a nice simple spell and easy to cast, you just need a direct line of sight to it. Firebolt will hit harder but also has to travel to the sacks through the air, it could hit something in between for example. Also Thaïs does not know Firebolt, she would have to use Energy Bolt but that should also work Derryth thinks.

    Derryth thinks Create Fire would be best and Thaïs agrees though there may be benefits to using something else as well.

    If you don't want to melee you have five grenadiers (though the Soulless will have range on them) and Derryth and Thaïs' spells.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Is there a way to alert the guards to the presence of other forces with a compulsion spell? 'Take control' over one of them for a second, and speak a line or two. Drop Argus' name for credibility - and if they want, they can check the info with their own eyes.

    Can we even use a compulsion spell as 'sending' with a line of sight, to relay orders?

    A suggestion to look in a certain direction would work, but it will lack the accompanied message.

    I want to raise an alarm and to have them ready for the assault of the Soulless. Will this do the trick?

    Ideally, I want them to alert the rest of the palace (and reinforce the eastern and the southern walls)!
     
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    ^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I wonder if Soulless will lose control if we destroy the source of the first caster signal.

    We might want to send some of our men there, but I don't really know how or if they can deal with hidden mages. Do they have any prior experiences?

    Alternatively, we can try and hunt them with Thais while Argus provides reinforcements to the gate guards, but that would be a bit dangerous.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    You could put the idea in their head but that is different from communicating with them. They are fighting a mob of ghasts though so distracting them may not be wise. They would also get a roll to resist the spell like anyone else.

    Compulsion forces the target to carry out a single act without their consent, if you want them to listen to your message they can not do anything else, like defend themselves. It would not work well as a communication spell in a battle.

    It might. You could try to compel one of them to raise the alarm but that is all they would do, they would try to walk right to the horn and they could get killed doing it. Suggestion would plant an image of the horn in their mind but as you noted no actual message. The upside is that they would be able to act on their own initiative to try and reach it. False Memory could give them a message but if it does not fit in with their real memories it would likely be rejected in which case you would be wasting time. So they all have advantages and disadvantages.

    Not really. These guys are enforcers in the pay of House Albercht, they are not even full military. They are about on par with the guards that were at the House Eberhardt compound skill wise. Argus however is the King's Champion and is very skilled.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It looks like the thralls are directly in our way. Can we outmaneuver them (without engaging) to reach the gate faster? They should be rather slow.

    The more I think about it, the more it looks like the only useful input we can give is blowing the ghols up, and maybe provide support for the gate guards while we get there. This would bring everyone to the walls, and Argus can take the operation from there. He is the military leader.

    We can't beat the Soulless to the walls, can we?
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    They are headed towards the gate but yes you could probably beat them there. The risk would be getting trapped between the ghasts and the thralls.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Why can't the guards simply close the gates?

    That would cut off the thralls and the ghasts, which could then be picked off by grenades.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Probably the same reason they have not gone into the guard post and sounded the alarm.

    However you are not over there and do not know.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Fuck.

    Does anyone have any ideas why that would be? A traitor? A sabotage? No, that's not a question for the GM. :)

    Another question, Fangshi - does planting an image inside one's head count as a distraction in battle? I mean, that effect from the bracers certainly never hurt us or Thais, and it never affected our efficiency or concentration. So if we plant the image of ghols and soulless running through the streets these guards should know well enough to determine their relative positions, this should not, theoretically, distract them from the fight with the ghasts, right?

    Wait, do the guards see the soulless? We only know they don't see ghols.
     
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.