Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    E - Derryth do alone BIII, Thais will help Dwarfs D II.
    I doubt that dwarfs will have high saving throws and taking into consideration none of them know we are mentalists all mental spells should have advantage.

if no traction B III

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Fangshi, which ones are almost spent?

Shamefur dispray from all sides, allies and enemies alike. Perhaps it's Monday in Mythverse.

^ Top  
  4. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The Oneiroi and the Warlock are just about spent. If they keep casting they will do permanent damage to themselves. They do not seem too concerned about it though.

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Do we recognize the spells? Any of them?

What is this signal we feel? Is it just an estimate of his overall magical ability, or is there more to it?

Do we recognize the uniforms? I suppose even Argus didn't if it wasn't mentioned, but it never hurts to check.

Is there nothing to connect them to any of the noble houses?

Is he far from us? What would be involved in an attempt to save him or at least stabilize him? How long it would take with the ring? the mandrake roots? the Heal spell cast with an assistance from mandrake roots by using them as a source of power?

How dangerous is his condition and how fast will he expire? He looks important.

Does Derryth think she can resist the effects of the Watcher's Stones now that she touched one? Does Retrieve item necessarily place an object in your hands, or can you transport it in your general vicinity? Very tempted to snatch one of those, bit it might be just another schmuck bait. Wonder if it could be picked up with the lead glove safely.

Torn apart between going for the main threat and helping our allies to quickly finish the smaller ones and dogpile on the white wizard later.

^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    They are from fields of magic that you are not very familiar with but if you had to hazard a guess most of them were physical spells to improve the mage's combat abilities. You do not know exactly what they do though.

It is just a vague estimation of the power of spells being cast and/or the ability of the mage casting them. If you are well versed in the field the spells come from you may be able to determine more than that but in this case you are not.

No you don't. Black with silver thread woven in a pattern that is distracting. They are well made but beyond that you have no real idea.

Not that you know of.

Map:
    Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------Compound Doors------------------------------
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l--------------------------------------------------Archer------------

The Cavalry
    Officer

The Heron Guard
    fighting the thin,
    white mage​
    The Guards
    fighting
    the 5 dwarves
    The Soulless

Two Soulless Guards
    Rain barrel
    The Necromancer​
    The Oneiroi​
    Argus and
    his men
    The Warlock​

You and Thaïs

Gate House ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You would need to get across the courtyard to the officer to save him.

The ring and the heal spell would be just about instantaneous. Using just the root would take a minute or two and would not fully heal the officer.

He is in serious condition, he did take a spear to the chest after all. He has maybe a few minutes, five at the most before he bleeds out. His odds are fairly bad.

Maybe, she is not sure. Thaïs could help shield your mind by linking with it which would improve your odds (you could use your combined mental stats to make any checks necessary) but it would all depend how much power the Watcher could bring to bear through the stone. (If you did link with your friend though it would put you both at risk, you would stand or fall together so keep that in mind.) She is not a match for an archmage yet and she is definitely no match for the second most powerful mage to ever exist.

It places the item in your hands. You do not know if the lead glove would do anything as you do not know how the stones work or what would happen if you stole one.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Aiii. I agree that we take down the ring leader as fast as possible. If our spells fail then I would propose we fall back to Ciii warlock.

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hm. Any chances to dispel and unravel them right here?

We weren't too sure about the spells in the Oneiroi compound, either, and that didn'tr stop us.

Or is that more time consuming than it's worth?

^ Top  
  9. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    It would take a little while (five to ten minutes) to be certain and he could always just put them up again once you tear them down if he still has power left. But it might create an opening, I can add it if you want.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nah. Not good enough.

Well, I don't think I can come up with anything better than what is listed here. On that note, Aiii.

^ Top  
  11. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Can we tell Thais to cast her heal spell from the ring on the officer before we assault the white mage?

^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    It is a touch based spell so you would need to get across the courtyard to him to use it but yes I can add it as an option if you want.

Sorry, missed the edit. Sure, I will add it as an option under A.

Added

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Azira Biii
    Smashing Axe Aiii>Ai
    asxetos Aiii
    Kz3r0 Aiii>Aii
    Jester E>Biii
    Kipeci Aii>Aiii
    archaen Aiii
    Nevill Aiii
    GreyViper Aiii
    Grimgravy E

A) 7 votes
    i.
    ii. 1 vote
    iii. 6 votes
    iv.
    v.

B) 1 vote
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 1 vote

C)
    i.
    ii.
    iii.
    iv.
    v.

D)
    i.
    ii.

E) 2 votes

Post Flop:

A) 7 votes
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 7 votes
    iv.
    v.

B) 1 vote
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 1 vote

C)
    i.
    ii.
    iii.
    iv.
    v.

D)
    i.
    ii.

E) 2 votes

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    So they are exhausted already, half damage.

Fangshi Rain barrel? I find image of Soulless caring them for such occasion, or getting ambush shots spreading to look for barrel and coming back hilarious. :D
    Seriously either that necromancer is lucky, crazy prepared or that barrel contain something interesting and trying to get it out.

^ Top  
  14. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Aiii

^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    :lol:

More like it happened to be lying around and she got lucky enough to dive behind it or that archer would eventually have killed her. Soulless do not make good meatshields as they lack... well meat...

There are odds and ends scattered throughout the courtyard as well, it is not a completely clean and clear space. I just got lazy with the map and trying to format it was annoying me so I kept it simple.

Of course maybe there is something interesting in that barrel after all but you would need to get close enough to open it if you want to find out. ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    KING IS INSIDE! FUCKING KIDNAPPERS.

^ Top  
  17. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Wait, just how much energy the Greater Energy Bolt takes to cast if it requires both Energon Cubes and a chunk of our own stamina to pull it off once with two mages?

Would using our mental spells require Energon Cubes? For example, if we amplify their intensity (if that's at all possible)? I dislike 'all or nothing' outcomes with spells (and it looks like GEB might miss), but I would like to give the guy all we've got, holding nothing back. I am just not sure which one of the options it is.

^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    As mentioned with the casting of the Warrior's Mask, when one of you tries to use a spell that you have not mastered you waste a fair bit of extra energy. It is one of the many disadvantages of trying to utilize knowledge that you do not have a full understanding of. Using both energon cubes should be enough to cast the spell but it could also fail or take longer to cast than it should in which case the women will have to burn through their own stores of magical energy.

If it works though greater energy bolt should do quite a lot of damage.

It might if you cast enough spells in rapid succession but with the mental spells you would be using spells and a method of attack that both women are fairly familiar with. They can cast all the mental spells they have mastered at full power with little difficulty so the cubes will not be needed, at least at first.

In all options they will give their enemies the best they have.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, I meant to ask if it was possible to increase the efficiency of known spells by overcharging them. Mental spells are a delicate tool that requires finesse, but maybe they could be turned into brute force ones with enough power applied (say, fry their brains with an Assault spell instead of just scrambling them).

^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    No overcharging in this case I am afraid. Spells naturally cap out at their maximum strength, once operating at one hundred percent efficiency (maximized) they can not be further strengthened without help.

There are two ways to go about increasing the power of a spell. The first is to simply take the spell and improve or alter the theory and formulas that allow it to function. So from energy bolt Thaïs worked out the theory for greater energy bolt though she has not actually tried it yet.

The second way to do it is to make use of some of the meta spells that are out there to cheat a little and boost the strength, speed, etc. of the spell. Unfortunately neither Derryth nor Thaïs know those kinds of spell.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I will have time for an update tomorrow, so the votes will close in twenty hours. The update will come twelve to sixteen hours after that, maybe earlier, we will see.

Show Spoiler
    Azira Biii
    Smashing Axe Aiii>Ai
    asxetos Aiii
    Kz3r0 Aiii>Aii
    Jester E>Biii
    Kipeci Aii>Aiii
    archaen Aiii
    Nevill Aiii
    GreyViper Aiii
    Grimgravy E

A) 7 votes
    i.
    ii. 1 vote
    iii. 6 votes
    iv.
    v.

B) 1 vote
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 1 vote

C)
    i.
    ii.
    iii.
    iv.
    v.

D)
    i.
    ii.

E) 2 votes

Post Flop:

A) 7 votes
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 7 votes
    iv.
    v.

B) 1 vote
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 1 vote

C)
    i.
    ii.
    iii.
    iv.
    v.

D)
    i.
    ii.

E) 2 votes

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Should be safe to call it now. Aiii wins, you will attack the thin, white mage with mental spells.
    The update will be up within sixteen hours when I have a moment.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Here's hoping for good rolls. How would it go if I rolled a d100?

[Edit] Good thing it's Fangshi that's doing the rolling. :roll:

Azira rolled 100-sided di(c)e: Success! Total: 43
    ^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hmm... what would have happened if we tried to snatch his weapons out of his hands midfight? Can the spell even be resisted? The Spider Goddess could by interfering with our mind, but that was a goddess.

Maybe it can still be used as a fallback strategy.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.