Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Fangshi

Arcane
Smashing Axe said:
Lying to the king more than necessary is such an incredibly bad idea. It's going to burn us bad.

No idea what you mean.

It is not like he is a seasoned and pragmatic politician that won and kept his throne by mercilessly rooting out every threat (and perceived threat) against him.... oh, wait...

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Smashing Axe said:
Lying to the king more than necessary is such an incredibly bad idea. It's going to burn us bad.

No idea what you mean.

It is not like he is a seasoned and pragmatic politician that won and kept his throne by mercilessly rooting out every threat (and perceived threat) against him.... oh, wait...
:roll: Codex gonna Codex. YOLOing all the time. (At least we came to our senses before and didn't try to kill the Faceless Man)

Oh well, hopefully Thais gets killed and we go full on Fallen Lady.

Fangshi

Arcane
Smashing Axe said:
Oh well, hopefully Thais gets killed and we go full on Fallen Lady.

Well actually the hardest SAN check for Derryth right now would be if you got those kids killed. If the girls die things could get really dark, really quickly. :lol:

As for becoming the Lady. With Derryth's temper and lack of sophistication she is probably closer to Soulcatcher to be honest. If your Circle went evil right at this moment Thaïs is most likely to become the Lady. Though I suppose you could also embrace the full powers of Lesbomancy Domination magic and become the Dominator ruling over a gaggle of immortal, bound, sorceresses. ;)

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Well, it's more about the voters than anything else. Thais dying would have more pathos with the others, I think. The promise of Lesbomancy, unfulfilled and all.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I do not see how us learning - or telling the king - about necromancers suddenly makes us a bigget threat to the kingdom then them. It is not like we learned about them while doing something forbidden - we've become aware of it on the same mission we fucked the Eberhardts over, even without going into the desert. We have so many sources we could have found out this information from, it isn't even funny.

I don't see the harm.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Each time we tell a lie the potential for backlash grows. It's as simple as that. We're not a very good talker, and there's very likely a sense motive skill in this game. The king is very likely to sense that we're lying to him, or not telling the full truth. That in turn will cause him to become suspicious of us, so he won't give us really cool rewards at the very least. More likely he will start digging into our background and our past activities, and suddenly it all comes out and we're absolutely screwed. The risk to reward ratio is such that it's not worth it.

Nevill

Arcane
Each time we tell a lie the potential for backlash grows. It's as simple as that. We're not a very good talker, and there's very likely a sense motive skill in this game.
Isn't that why we are inseparable with Thais, who has 'Born Liar' written on her crearacter sheet?

The king is very likely to sense that we're lying to him, or not telling the full truth. That in turn will cause him to become suspicious of us, so he won't give us really cool rewards at the very least.
Ah, so that is what it is about. :lol: And here I thought I was trying to warn the king to look more closely into this if he didn't know it yet.

More likely he will start digging into our background and our past activities [...]
Implying that he did not already.

I do not think this even depends on what we do. He would have to dig into our backgrounds regardless, even if we were paladins without a single stain on the reputation. You don't stay at the top of the kingdom otherwise.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
We should have just told him the truth:
"Mr. King, we let a fallen lord out of some bracelets and now he is running around the world again. We also have another fallen lord in our pack that we are thinking that is going to be our friend when her disembodied head wakes up after integrating two fallen lords' psyches into a coherent whole. Oops, almost forgot, you know how the heroes of the last age become the new fallen lords? We let Mazzarin out and forced him to give us his pet necromancer as the third member of our lesbomancy team. We are cool right? Our hearts were in the right place!"

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
No, we shouldn't have said anything at all. Silence is a virtue, use it for your own protection.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I guess it would have been good to play our cards close to our chest, but we have max pegged our relationship with the King and that should help allay some suspicion. I bet we aren't even technically lying as Lyssa's birds undoubtedly saw the cloaked horseman and told her about them at some point.

Nevill

Arcane
Though I suppose you could also embrace the full powers of Lesbomancy Domination magic and become the Dominator ruling over a gaggle of immortal, bound, sorceresses. ;)
Hm. Lesbomancy, domination, and bondage in one package. Where do I sign?

Fangshi

Arcane
Chapter 31: Stormy Night

Mayer waits for answers, filling out paperwork in silence. Outside it begins to rain, a storm is coming on.

He wants his answers, perhaps you will give them to him, "If you want honesty then we expect it in return."

He stops reading, looks up at you, his expression inscrutable, "What did you have in mind?"

"We are not the only people here," you gesture at a small door leading into the adjoining room, "Why don't you introduce us to your other guests?"

He grumbles, "I have no guests and I do not see what any person present in my home has to do with my demand."

As always you can count on Thaïs for support, she takes up your case in a tone both respectful and firm, "It is a matter of trust Mr Mayer. You are obviously interested in conducting business with us or we would not be having this conversation. Now you ask us to trust you but how can we do so if you will not trust us?"

He considers her words carefully then he grins, "A little paranoid, ladies, are you not?" he has decided to act, he stands and waves you towards the door, "Good, paranoia is an invaluable asset in your line of work, and in mine."

He leads you into a dark room and makes certain that the door is well closed behind you. A single light shines from a groove dug into the roof, it casts a pale circle in the center of the room. The walls are lined with thick padding, possibly to muffle noise or protect the occupant.

To your surprise there is but a single occupant. She converses with herself, speaking low and high in turn. She screams to herself and now that you are in the room with her you realize just how much noise she is making. You can not see her clearly though, she sits huddled her face in her hands at the far edge of the circle of light.

As you advance into the room Mayer stops you at the very edge of the light, "No closer ladies. I can not guarantee your safety if you come any closer."

"We can handle ourselves Mayer," you reply but you move no closer. Something about this woman stirs a primal fear in you. Not enough to weaken your resolve but enough to ignite just a little caution in you.

"Many have thought they could 'handle themselves', it rarely ends well," Mayer sighs, "Still you wanted an introduction so let us get this over with."

He calls out to the figure, "My dear, my dear," she raises her head, "Ah good. We have guests my dear and they were kind enough to wish to meet you. Would you please come over here."

As she shuffles toward you, you can make out more details about her. She is not human, but rather a dwarf, her head covered in a tangled mess of flame red hair. She is tall for a dwarf and lean but muscular. Flecks of old, dry blood coat her hands and mouth, you give Mayer a questioning glance, "Sometimes she hurts herself," he replies with a shrug. When she looks up the glint in her yellow eyes reminds you of some large cat on the hunt. She does not speak and barely makes a sound. She is bound around in heavy chains, on her wrists, her ankles, her waist and her neck, they glow faintly with myriad runes.

You hold her gaze and see in her the very depths of madness. Thunder booms out and both you and your friend start in unison. Mayer laughs, "Some heroes," he steps toward the figure and gently takes her hand. She calms a little as she turns to look at him, "Good. Good, she is in one of her calmer states," gently, affectionately he strokes her cheek and whispers to her, "Helena, Helena dear we have guests," he points at you, "That is Miss Derryth," he points at your friend, "And that, is Miss Thaïs," he takes both of her hands in his, "They wished to meet you my dear."

He turns from her to you though he does not release her hands, "Ladies, let me introduce you to Helena Mayer, my wife."

She seems so timid, so docile, so weary, you smile at her as does your friend. She smiles back and mouths your names to herself.

"Well ladies, shall we now return to my office, we may discuss our busin-" Helena mumbles something.

"What is the matter dear?" he turns back to her.

"Do not go..." she whispers.

"Pardon me?" he leans in closer.

"Do not go with them, stay with me..." she gets a little bolder.

He smiles gently and brushes her hair, "I can not my dear but I will return as soon as we are done."

You are on the verge of stepping toward them. To add your voice to his but you stop yourself, that feeling creeps in again, warning you not to get any closer. Perhaps a similar drive motivates Thaïs for lacking your intuition she does step closer.

You grab her arm even before Caoilainn has time to send you a warning, "Don't," you caution her.

She nods as she steps back to your side, "Right, sorry."

Mayer holds his wife as they share a moment, she wraps her arms around him and it is only because of your years spent in dim crypts that you can see what she is doing. She has slipped her hand into his pocket and grabbed something. A small coin, it glows golden in her hand as her chains come loose from their moorings, she is free.

"Mayer!" you call out a warning.

Helena does not hesitate for a moment. She throws Mayer off her, he lands on the far side of the room with a dull thud as she lunges at the two of you. Her chains flailing behind her.

Caoilainn gives it her all, you twist and bob and tumble together. Trying desperately to get beyond the reach of Helena but she is so terribly fast. She catches each of you by the back of the head, dragging you by the hair back into the light at the center of the room. Growling in a deep voice she howls at you, "You will not take him! You will not take him away from me! He is mine! Mine! Now and forever, MINE!!"

With a head in each hand she draws you back, she will crack your heads together like a pair of eggs. You attempt a mental assault but she is so broken, so full of rage that you can not master her in the seconds you have. You begin to cast a firebolt, at the very least you will take her with you.

"Stop!" Mayer shouts. He is back to his feet and has a small blue pebble in his hands. The runes on her chains glow. She screams and releases you both.

Panting he shouts at her, "Bad! Bad Helena! That is not how you treat guests! Sit!"

She whimpers as the runes glow brightly and he limps across the room toward you, on the way he pries the small golden coin from her hand.

He hands you the pebble, "Keep it pointed at her, if she moves order her to stop forcibly. I have to re-secure her chains."

You and Thaïs lean on each other as you keep the pebble firmly pointed at Helena. She eyes you, cackles slightly but makes no move as Mayer draws her chains back through heavy iron rings in the floor and wall. As he secures them they glow slightly.

When he returns to you he takes the pebble back, "Bad Helena, that was very naughty of you. We will have to discuss your punishment later tonight."

She whimpers as, still panting, he leads you back into his office and ensures the door is firmly fixed in place.

He ignores you at first, limps towards his desk and draws out a half full bottle of dwarven whisky, he downs it straight. When he runs out he sputters as he drops into his chair. He hangs his head in his hands, overwhelmed, and takes several deep breathes.

The two of you stand in awkward silence, your hair and gowns dishevelled from the tussle. You exchange glances speaking in pantomime.

Should we go?

I don't know?

Should we perhaps say something?

What though?

He speaks without raising his head, "I am a terrible host ladies."

He smoothes his hair back, straightens his clothes, "Forgive me please. I will have food brought up immediately if you will kindly sit," he gestures to a small table in the corner of the room with four chairs around it, "Please," he sighs as he pulls himself back to his feet.

You and your partner nod to one another, no sense running off immediately.

Diner is served as the three of you sit in silence. It is a simple affair, brown bread, beef broth, red meat and a basic salad. To your relief there is only a single knife, fork and spoon, Mayer shrugs and smiles, "One fork is as good as another."

You laugh and turn to your friend, "See! I am not alone in this after all!" she smiles and Mayer manages to chuckle a little, it seems to break the ice.

He slices off a thin piece of bread as he speaks, "So, about that story you were going to tell me."

Thaïs replies, a little concerned, "Is now the best time? I mean given what happened..." she trails off.

You chimes in, "We can, we can always do this some other time if you would prefer..." you let the idea hang in the air.

He shakes his head, "I live with this every day. Will live with this every day till I die. There will not be a better time I am afraid."

"What is... ah..." you try to find the words.

Thankfully Thaïs steps in, "What is your wife's affliction, Mr Mayer? Perhaps we can help."

He tenses, "She is ill and there is nothing that can be done about it I assure you."

"But, being mages, perhaps there is something we can do?" you attempt to push on.

"No!" he instinctively clenches his fist, "I mean, no thank you. I am well aware of what her condition is and I am also aware that there is no cure. All I can do is make her as comfortable as possible and ensure that she is not a danger to anyone else. Now you said that you would tell me the truth if I trusted you. Well I have, now you have to trust me yes?"

Well a deal is a deal but you are not so foolish as to mention the Faceless, it seems wrong to call him Man now, Nine or Mazzarin. Nor do you mention Lyssa's former occupation or the Pathfinders for obvious reasons. You tell him the 'truth' and he seems satisfied by it.

He picks at his salad, "Impressive. All those enemies dead or humbled. Very impressive. I will have to verify a few things, formalities to ensure that you are telling the... shall we call it the truth even though it is not?"

You tense slightly, under the table Thaïs takes you hand, Mayer simply smiles, "Your story still does not quite match what I know. You are hiding things. For example I should like to know what you were really up to in the desert," he pauses considering both of you, he shrugs, "Well everyone has secrets, myself included, and I do not need to know everything I suppose. For now that is enough, most of your story matches what I know and what I need to know. Beyond that I suppose it does not matter. Should you wish to work together, ladies, my door will always be open."

The rest of the evening passes in stunted conversation. Mayer is actually worse at this then you are and despite your friend's valiant efforts to keep the conversation going there just is not that much to talk about.

Mayer does confirm a few things towards the end of the evening though. You suspect that the events with his wife and the quite liberal drinks he has been pouring himself have a lot to do with that, "The Barings, those imbecilic amateurs were up to their elbows in House Eberhardt business as were over three quarters of the Kingdom's financiers. Why until you showed up it was 'common knowledge' that House Albrecht would fall within the year."

That, you did not know and the surprise is written on both of your faces though Thaïs does do a much better job of disguising it.

He laughs at your shock, "Oh yes. Albrecht has his 'spooks', his 'Pathfinders'," you raise an eyebrow at that, but he pushes on seemingly oblivious to it, "He has a firm hold on the old guard in the army as well but the officers go where the money is and Eberhardt had most of it and three quarters of the lesser houses. Let me assure you ladies there will be a lot of blood and a lot of opportunities for quick minds and steady hands in the days to come."

Thaïs prods him a little, "You sound as if you were not involved in any of this?"

He nods, "Not in any way that could be traced to me. Why play one side when you can play both? In my younger days I was an adventurer myself, I know how to create advantageous situations," the ghost of a smile haunts his face, "I snatched up the assets of over a dozen minor families, casualties of this war between Albrecht and Eberhardt. I must admit that a decisive victory does me little good though it will do little long term harm as well. I am a 'loyal citizen of the kingdom' in every way that matters and I know just enough to burn Albrecht if he ever tries anything," he gives you a self satisfied wink.

Mayer gives you a lot to consider.

As you rise to leave he asks you not to mention his wife to anyone and he expresses his eagerness to meet with you again to discuss your future joint ventures.

The carriage ride home is quiet as the rain dances on the roof. You are both exhausted and quickly fall asleep propped up against one another.

------------------------------------------

The next morning you set up a number of meetings. You have a great deal to accomplish, you wish to discuss the necromancer threat with Albrecht and Argus and you also have to attend to the matter of the girls' education. They can not simply spend all day blowing things up as fun as that is. They need to learn and you have decided that they will receive a proper military education.

You have set up a number of interviews for this afternoon, but first, the King.

You arrange to meet him in his chambers with Argus. This should ensure that you can speak in privacy.

"Hmm, riders on the roads and large crows?" he strokes his chin, "Anything else?"

"Not much, no," you reply, "Other than the fact that the city is definitely infested with necromancers."

"And you say that a mercenary told you this?" he asks.

You nod, "Yes, a friend. We contracted his help to deal with the Oneiroi, demon worshipers, operating out of the city."

"Interesting," he squints, "I should like to meet this man. I shall have him summoned, leave the contact information with my clerk. Now, how did he find out about this?"

"His men spend a lot of time on the roads," Thaïs responds naturally, "Coming in and out of the kingdom. We began to gossip while waiting for the Oneiroi and the issue of these strange birds and black riders came up."

You lean forward slightly, "So you mean to tell us that you know nothing about any of this?"

He frowns and shakes his head, he gestures to Argus, "I want you to start investigating this, find out anything you can about these riders and have every crow in the city killed. Also get a few of the men to look into the officer corps, if anyone is keeping secrets I want to know why," he turns back to you as his champion leaves the room, "I thank you deeply ladies for bringing this to my attention, now if you will excuse me I have other matters to attend to."

The two of you politely leave and chase after Argus.

He rushes to the front of the palace, barking orders to his assistants as he goes.

"Argus! Hold up!" you shout.

"Yes, please wait a moment Sir Argus!" your friend adds.

He pauses and grins at you, "Afraid I do not have much time to talk ladies. I am on the hunt now and nothing can stop me!"

"Just a few quick questions," you plead.

"Ah why not!" he beams. You can tell he is quite happy to get out of the palace for a while.

"So you haven't heard anything about strange birds on the roads," you ask again, "Nothing at all?"

He shakes his head.

"And nothing about black riders? Or perhaps unknown mercenaries operating out of the region?" your friend adds.

"Like I said ladies this is the first we are hearing of it," he sternly replies. As pages rush to and fro demanding his attention, "Do you think there is some connection to those mages that attacked the city and tried to free their friends?"

You nod in unison, "Yes we do, if you hear anything about riders or birds, Argus, just please keep us in the loop."

"Can do ladies," he nods absentmindedly as he walks away bossing around his aids. Quickly he shouts back to you as an aide shoves a pile of papers in his face, "If I hear anything about riders, crows or eagles, you will be amongst the first to know!" With that he disappears out the front door, a train of petty followers trailing behind.

You both frown.

Thaïs feigns a dizzy spell and you catch her and steady her. A page offers support but you wave him off, "Busy couple of days, I will see her back to her room," you wrap an arm around each others waists and pretend to lean on one another for support. As you do so you discretely whisper in her ear, "Did you catch that?"

She whispers back, "Yes."

You whisper the words together, "We did not mention eagles."

---------------------------------------------------

Having met most of the merchant set in the city by now your days are wonderfully free and you set about looking after your own affairs. Word comes from the south that Eberhardt and his remaining supporters have been broken in battle and most of them are now dead or captured. It seems he tried to raise an army around his personal guard but accusations of conspiracy with the Dark undermined all of his attempts. Without any support his rebellion was very short lived and he is currently being transported back to Myrgard to stand trial and what a trial it will be. It is the talk of the entire city and will be held in the Grand Assembly in front of the, remaining, assembled lords. The King himself will act as judge though he will, naturally, not argue the case himself.

You need to decide on how you wish to approach the trial as well as a number of other things.

1. The Trial: You are expected to give testimony, and are in fact amongst the key witnesses of the prosecution, though you will not be forced to if you truly do not wish to.

A) You will work fully with Albrecht's people to come up with the best story possible. You will do everything you can to make sure Eberhardt and his supporters hang for treason and conspiracy with the Dark. They are your enemies as well as Albrecht's and you have no intention of leaving any of them alive and unbroken.

B) You will work with Albrecht's people but will limit your testimony to events that actually happened. The charge of treason will be easy to prove but the charge of conspiracy with the Dark may be more difficult and it will be harder to dispose of Eberhardt's allies as a result. You will try to limit the number of lives that will be lost though you imagine Albrecht may be a little annoyed.

C) You will not work with Albrecht's people. You are starting to have second thoughts about the man, you will not testify. There may be repercussions for this and you are not entirely sure why you want to do this. Perhaps it is guilt over so much potential blood being on your hands.

D) You will not work with Albrecht's people. You are starting to have second thoughts about the man, you will reveal Albrecht's false evidence which should undermine much of his case in public. There will naturally be repercussions for this and you are not entirely sure why you want to do this. Perhaps it is guilt over so much potential blood being on your hands.

E) You will not work with Albrecht's people, in fact you are done with these dwarves entirely. You will attempt to flee the city and leave any rewards behind you, hopefully you will not get caught.

F) freeform

2. Your finances: You have become well acquainted with the dwarven merchant families in the city. You have narrowed down your options to two. The Barings and Mayer.

A) The Barings: They have the resources and should be easy to control as long as you do not give them a reason to betray you.

B) Mayer: A more demanding partner, and he will settle for nothing less than partnership, but also possessed of a keen mind and a great deal of ability.

C) Neither: You will go your own way. When you get back to the empire you will try to set something up yourself in the vacuum that is the eastern empire.

D) freeform

3. The girls' tutor: After a number of interviews you and Thaïs have compiled a short list of potential candidates. (Note that you can hire more than one if you are willing to pay the price. Each combination though will be counted as a seperate choice so for example AE would be counted differently than either A or E, conditionals are your friend here.)

A) 'CvC': A strange case, who merely wrote to you rather than meet you in person for some reason. He presented his argumentation in a didactic fashion and characterized warfare as a synthesis of rational calculation, emotion and pure chance. He steadfastly refused the notion that warfare could be reduced to simple geometry amongst other things. He also made mention of the superiority of a well maintained defense as opposed to an all out offense. The letter has a return address should you wish to propose employment. (WPs unknown monthly, this will require a more through meeting.)

B) Mr Jomini: A former officer in the imperial army from the west, he came promptly at your request. He spoke of war in terms of mathematical and scientific principles. Geometry, concentration of superior force at the crucial place and time and expressed a desire to minimize the loss of life by limiting the force deployed at any given time to just above what is necessary for victory. He seems to be accustomed to a certain standard of living (WPs 40 monthly).

C) Mr Dragomirov: An older man that may be operating under a pseudonym. He stressed the importance of discipline in warfare especially in small units and placed a great deal of emphasis on what he called the 'all out' offence. He seems to be accustomed to a certain standard of living (WPs 35 monthly).

D)Mr. 'Levy': An odd fellow to be sure. He placed a great deal of importance on what he termed 'asymmetrical' warfare and the role of 'guerrillas' and other irregulars against formal military. He drew many of his lessons from the Great War and the War against Soulblighter. He seems to be down on his luck and you could probably hire him cheaply should you so desire. (WPs 15 monthly)

E) Mr. Tacticus: He is... well, he is a Trow. It came as a shock to everyone. He will not tell you why he is in the Dwarven Kingdom, why he is seeking employment, or anything about himself. He also demands a rather large stipend but he claims to have hundreds of years experience fighting actual wars and says he is a master at taking cities (and as a result holding them as well). (WPs 60 monthly)

4. Meletē's ritual: You think you finally have the ritual you need. How do you want to go about this.

A) Make the Oneiroi cast it. They know it best after all and it would be quickest. Should they betray you, you will of course kill them.

B) Cast it yourselves as soon as you learn it. This will take a few days and will require you, Thaïs and Lyssa to work together but it would likely be safer then trusting the Oneiroi.

C) Cast it yourselves but do it at the Royal Academy and only after you are sure you have mastered it and have had the fellows of the academy test it. You will take absolutely no risks here though it may take a week or more and will require a great deal of attention from all three of you.

D) freeform

A note on freeform questions (as opposed to just freeform options): If I missed anything that you would like to pursue then propose it and I will either add a question to this list or I will attach it to the next update.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Party/Organizational Changes:

Party Changes:

Lyssa:

Gain the Following Spells:
Lyssa's reasoning - Thaïs learnt most of the INT based enchantments that the dwarves were willing to teach with the level of trust they have in you (yes high rep means better spells) and Lyssa's WIS is not great so she prioritized the other INT based branch of enchantments, the Oaths of the Elements. She also prioritized things she could learn quickly given that she only spent about half her time there. Most of what she picked was chosen for clear practical application and she left much of the more esoteric spells alone.

1. The Burning Oath - (Fire) This spell is often placed on weapons, arrows and the like. It imbues them with the elemental aspect of Fire when activated. Casting time is lengthy though, thirty minutes per enchantment. Extended use will exhaust the runes, their strength is based on the power of the caster.

2. The Freezing Oath - (Ice) This spell operates on the exact same principles as the Burning Oath but grants the elemental aspect of ice instead.

3. The Thundering Oath - (Lightning) This spell operates on the exact same principles as the other two oaths but grants the elemental aspect of lighting instead.

4. The Poisonous Oath - (Poison) This spell operates on the exact same principles as the others but grants coats the item in a powerful magical poison. The poison is not fatal, instead causing paralysis between three to five minutes after entering the blood stream of the target.

5. The Ancient Oath - (Earth) This spell is often placed on shields and armour. It strengthen the item by drawing upon the elemental aspect of earth. In all other ways it operates in the same manner as the other four oaths.

Gained the following Pets:

1. 2 Trained Eagles - Some of Lyssa's Eagles happened to spot her. She has sent them back out to try and locate their fellows but when they return they will be available for use.

Organizational Changes:

Reputation Gains with Known Factions:

Mayer Estate: +10 Rep

Rolls:

Not much to say for this one. A few were made by everyone at Mayer's Estate. A few more were made by everyone during your conversations with the King and Argus. No one rolled exceptionally or poorly, except Argus once. Everyone did about average and the dice really did not alter the outcomes much if at all.

Also just for fun I wonder how many of the 'tutors' people recognize. Any students of military history out there? ;)

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Fucking hell.

We are in DEEP.

Will have to think about the votes. 'Dat Albrecht.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
AADB
Work fully with Albrecht, work with the Barings (Easier to control), Hire Levy (Cheaper, plus we're going to be engaging in asymmetric warfare for the short to medium turn anyway). Cast the spell ourselves because I don't want to waste more time on this, and sink or swim is a great teaching method!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright. Here's my knee-jerk votes:
1A. We want to cooperate fully. We've made our bed, let's lie in it. The Eberhardts need to go, and we want to stay chummy with Albrecht.
2B. Mayer is a strongwilled person with good resources. If we want a presence here in the dwarven kingdom, it would be downright silly not to have a proper partner. We can't oversee everything on a day to day basis. Mayer knows this shit. Honor him for it.
3D>E. Ah. This is a fun choice. I'm sorely tempted to take the Trow, simply to round out our rather eclectic band. Would complement the Maul and necromancer fine. :M I rather think the guerilla warfare would fit better with our current group, and thus "Levy" is my top choice.
4B>C. We want it done safely. The Oneiroi I do not trust in any way. I do believe, however, that our ladies can handle it. Error on the side of caution might be better though, hence the conditional vote.

asxetos

Augur
1B : It seems the neutral thing to do.
2B : He is a bro now.
3D : This style seems well-suited for a mercenary company i think, although A might be good too.
4C : I guess we have the time and there is no point to take a risk here.

Nevill

Arcane
Hmph. It seems like we have an 'understanding' with the King. We lie to his face and use him whenever we see fit, and he responds in kind. A beautiful alliance, that.

I find it both hilariours and sad that Mayer was the only person in the whole city who could tell us what really is going on. The man is so alike us that I feel we've met a long-lost brother.

I'd like to ask the King what is happening right now. How much of a threat the Eberhardts still are? How many houses they control? Their resistance have failed, not in the least because of their alleged alliance with the Dark. Yet Mayer have mentioned that most of the army officers were on their payroll. Who do they serve now? Do we expect the army to support their former allies? Do we expect a civil war to break out? If so, who is likely to lead them?

What should we expect to happen after the trial is conducted?

I understand that these are not the questions that he would want to answer, but if he wants our full cooperation, it would be unwise to keep us in the dark. I guess a lot of these questions would have to be voted on, as the matter is rather sensitive.

The common sense dictates that if the enemy is strong, you should not be picky in how you dispose of them. We really don't want to leave the Eberhardt supporters alone if they command three quarters of the country's resourses. On the other hand, I am sick of being used blindly.

I guess we can state our case thusly. We pledged to cooperate with the King, and we will. However, without good enough reason not to, we will stick to the facts and leave him to fabricate the rest of the evidence on his own. Will he give us the reason to participate in the witch hunt? And no, we are not talking about money or favors here.

I know that we have a 'mutually beneficial relationship', but it seems the benefits are mostly going one way for now.

Jester

Arbiter
A - dispose of main opposition, break their holding on empire finances and possibly full void left by them. MAKE opportunity.
B - Complicated guy im a bit suspicious of wife illness, still it unimportant mater. Skilled and require respect.
[BD] > E - Guerilla tactic combined with precision surgical strikes? Minimal of losses, hit and run, ambushes etc. E is more of wild card option.
C - nice and slow.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Also just for fun I wonder how many of the 'tutors' people recognize. Any students of military history out there? ;)[
Do we get a boost to our tactical skills if we get them right?
Here is my take by the way:
A) 'CvC': A strange case, who merely wrote to you rather than meet you in person for some reason. He presented his argumentation in a didactic fashion and characterized warfare as a synthesis of rational calculation, emotion and pure chance. He steadfastly refused the notion that warfare could be reduced to simple geometry amongst other things. He also made mention of the superiority of a well maintained defense as opposed to an all out offense. The letter has a return address should you wish to propose employment. (WPs unknown monthly, this will require a more through meeting.)
No idea, I guess is Maginot.
B) Mr Jomini: A former officer in the imperial army from the west, he came promptly at your request. He spoke of war in terms of mathematical and scientific principles. Geometry, concentration of superior force at the crucial place and time and expressed a desire to minimize the loss of life by limiting the force deployed at any given time to just above what is necessary for victory. He seems to be accustomed to a certain standard of living (WPs 40 monthly).

This look like Montgomery.

C) Mr Dragomirov: An older man that may be operating under a pseudonym. He stressed the importance of discipline in warfare especially in small units and placed a great deal of emphasis on what he called the 'all out' offence. He seems to be accustomed to a certain standard of living (WPs 35 monthly).
Sun Tzu was quite high on discipline build from the smaller units on but the rest doesn't seem to fit to me.

D)Mr. 'Levy': An odd fellow to be sure. He placed a great deal of importance on what he termed 'asymmetrical' warfare and the role of 'guerrillas' and other irregulars against formal military. He drew many of his lessons from the Great War and the War against Soulblighter. He seems to be down on his luck and you could probably hire him cheaply should you so desire. (WPs 15 monthly)
Von Clausewitz that organized Russian peasants in guerrilla units against Napoleon.

E) Mr. Tacticus: He is... well, he is a Trow. It came as a shock to everyone. He will not tell you why he is in the Dwarven Kingdom, why he is seeking employment, or anything about himself. He also demands a rather large stipend but he claims to have hundreds of years experience fighting actual wars and says he is a master at taking cities (and as a result holding them as well). (WPs 60 monthly)
Demetrius I(Greek: Δημήτριος, 337–283 BC), calledPoliorcetes
L'Eversor di Cittadi

Nevill

Arcane
Huh, everyone wants to take a part in the witch hunt after we've just been told that the crown isn't speaking for the entirety of the dwarven kingdom? Interesting. Though I suppose there is no turning back midway.

A few questions.

Can Lyssa discreetly ask at the Magic Academy what is it that the Mayer's wife is suffering from? She does not have to mention names - just describe the symptoms and try to find the information.

Since two of the eagles returned to us, does it mean that the king also took note of that? He has us under surveilance, and they were already on the lookout for eagles. Where does Lyssa intends to keep them when they get back, anyway?

I assume we have interviewed our teachers rather thoughroughly, but it never hurts checking if trow tactics is actually applicable to human warfare. You know, because of a bit of a size difference? :lol:

About Ithapi's education. I suppose the only reason we didn't act upon it sooner is that we didn't know the guy can't read. Can't we retroactively put him to it? Otherwise I am ready to write a letter to ours to update them on our progress and to ask them about their own - and yes, I would like to get to that matter eventually. In fact, let's write the letter anyway. No, the latest interlude with the Faceless Woman didn't get me spooked at all, why? Besides, it would be nice to warn them about Trakk's mercenaries and the Brannons.

Also, our circle needs to learn a cipher or two for such letters if they are going to contain some private matters.

Can the letter be sent via an eagle? Or is the land courirer more reliable?

Can we get resupplied? We never really restocked since the last big battle, and I begin to think we are a bit underprepared for eventualities. I'd like to at least refill our supply of the Energon Cubes, and buy more ammunition for Uttu. How come Thais has 60 crossbow bolts, but Uttu only has 24 arrows?

How long the enchantments last, once placed on an item? Can we devote a bit of our time to enchant some of our own equipment? I'd like to make use of these:

The Path of Memory - A more complex enchantment that aids in the retention of memory. It is often bound to jewelry worn on the head or headgear in general. Reduces SAN loss to strain as well.
The Path of Intellect - A difficult enchantment that sharpens the mind in general. This enchantment is often woven into jewelry but can be applied to anything. Provides a slight bonus to the intelligence of the wearer.
The Path of Clarity - A difficult enchantment that helps the mind cut through illusions. Often applies to headgear or necklaces but suitable for anything. It provides no protection against mental attacks however.
These look like they can help our mages in general with whatever they are doing and the kids with learning the military doctrine, since they have a bit of an attention deficit and are not exceptionally bright. It should ease their pain.

Will it help Caoilainn if we cast some of these on the bracers?

Distracting Riddle - A basic riddle often bound to fast moving objects, swords, arrows, and the like. It attempts to catch the attention of all those that do not see it clearly. Those under the effect of this enchantment will attempt to aquire the object in question at any cost. Once it has been clearly viewed it loses its power over the target.
I want these on some of the Uttu's arrows.

Confusing Riddle - A basic enchantment often placed on prominent surfaces, shields, banners and the like. It disorients those that look at it reducing their speed and skill. Those of sufficent willpower can overcome the riddle.
Consuming Riddle - A more advanced enchantment also bound to prominent surfaces. It draws the attention of those that view it preventing them from doing anything but stare. Those of sufficient willpower can overcome the riddle.
And some of these on our shields and bucklers. If it is safe, naturally.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
About the trial, guys... don't you think that the more you deviate from the facts, the harder you make it for yourself to state your case? You might be setting yourselves (and the whole trial) up for a failure if they have a way to catch you on a lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom