Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    As for the rewards, I will keep the favor, because there is nothing I currently want on the list.

1. What do you ask for (this could easily become very complicated so some of the options will be dealt with further in the next update if chosen. They will be marked as such):
    E) You will not ask for anything. You will save the favour for later.

I would like to take a loan, though, to be able to cover the 2A part, and make use of the returns to pay off the loan with time.

0,1% monthly interest sounds so miniscule, it is basically free money. From every 1000 WP on loan, we pay one monthly. Meanwhile, they will make us tens, if not hundreds.

I'll also ament my shopping vote:
    5. Supplies
    A) Yes, 12 for each mage, up to a total of 36.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Guys, if we want to make use of the Academy (to request their help with the ritual, or to have them research the Oneiroi spell - remember that Melete is still a vegetable), we probably should not antagonize them. Just a heads up:
    Let's think about it in the long term and earn their trust the hard way. No mage likes being forced to share.

^ Top  
  3. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Damn that's a lot of choices. Fangshi, if we decide to go for long-term profits with properties, how will the money be delivered to us in Muirthemne? And is there no option to take a bit of money and get something else in addition, or do we have to go one or the other here?
    A>Biii>Biv>C

Caravan routes and security companies sounds like something we could utilise.

If not, a huge lump sum payment so we can cut our ties entirely with the dwarves and go and live it up in human lands.

Failing all that, learning how to craft permanent enchantments would be invaluable.

This gets complicated. I want to aim for profits if for A or C win the first vote, property if B wins.

C>A - I don't want anyone reading this letter. We should have set up a cipher.

A, B, E - Nothing the Pathfinders don't already know about. Anything else is asking for it.

A - Always be prepared, 12 (total)

A, B - Why not? Good practice. Plus we can't look drab.

C>A - Excellent! Lab rats to practice on!

I think voting for C1 AND aiming for properties is paradoxically short-sighted here. I'm not one to deny aiming for personal power by any means, but we're heading towards bankruptcy in the short-term as it is. Flip the properties for a profit, get the cash out there, then concentrate our efforts in Muirthemne to really start generating wealth. Or, cash out here, buy a few properties with Mayer to diversify, then move back to Muirthemne and buy up the place. One thing that would work well with flipping properties for profit in Muirthemne and studying at the Academy is the potential to craft permanent enchantments back in Muirthemne. It should make us more money than the properties in the long-term and give us the seed money we'll need to get started. Because who knows how much wealth we're going to waste on properties that will take years to turn a profit, with the potential for bandits to take our gold on raids as it gets tranported to us.

That and again, I don't like having a main revenue source so far from our base of operations. At least with A1 we can acquire a bunch of security and traveling caravans so that we're not tied to one place.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    1. What do you ask for (this could easily become very complicated so some of the options will be dealt with further in the next update if chosen. They will be marked as such):

A) Confiscated Assets and Property -You will arrange to sit down with Albrecht and his agents to properly pour over the property lists and see if there is anything you want. There are a number of different assets available from mines and factories to warehouses, shipping houses, caravan routes and security companies. (A full list will be presented in the next update should this option win)

2. Your Business Plan - You decided upon a course of action with Mayer during your meeting, what was it?

B)

3. The Letter - You want to touch base with Gareth and the rest of your organization in Muirthemne. You will give Amena and Gareth instructions and ask for a status report.

A) You will send the letter by eagle.

4. The Letter Part 2 - Beyond a request for a status report and instructions to teach Ithapi to read what else do you want to include in the letter? (Any option that receives more than half the total votes will be included.
    A) Warn them about Trakk
    B) Ask them about the Crows or black riders
    E) Freeform - Warn them about the Watcher, tell them to look out for contracts on hunting necromancers, see if they can gauge anything useful out of this

5. Supplies - You are out of Energon cubes but one of your attendants is willing to go shopping for you. Do you wish to purchase some? If you vote yes then just type how many you would like and how many will go to each person (Twelve Energon Cubes = 6 WPs)
    A) Yes, 12 for each mage.

6. Supplies - Requests, If you want any mundane equipment besides the Energon Cube then write it in and I will tell you the price. An item will require more than half of the total votes to be purchased.

A) Additional arrows for Uttu (1WP = 2 quivers)
    B) Seven pieces of nice, basic jewelry. (5 WPs)

7. Freeform. Ask the King to arrange for help in casting the Greater Heal ritual on the remaining members of Trakk's family. Ensure the girl receives a treatment to heal her mind as well as her body. I don't know who would suit better for this case, if nobody fits, we will volunteer for this duty ourselves. Would make things more interesting with Trakk.
    B)

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Anybody has any good ideas for supplies?

We've been sitting on The Spinner for a while now. Maybe it is time to find a nice tailorsmith who can work with metal, and make our first silksteel chainmail? :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Hm btw how much was the gate power source? If we will get proper infrastructure we might be able to make hard to detect gate. It dont have to be directly in capital it still would cut lots of travel time. If we will place gate hub in kingdom eventual hostile takeover attempts would have to deal with Albrecht, after all we are his allies. He might even be interested with making sure that this permanent gate will work. Dwarf kingdom exit shouldn't be problem i am more concerned with empire exit.

^ Top  
  7. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Chain bikini you wanted to say? Dont those usually have best AC somehow?
    :smug:
    Distraction is good defence i guess.

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    200 WPs, and it is broken. We must also wake Melete before we can do anything with it, since it's broken.

And a hard to detect Gate is a bit tricky if you use it for public transportation purposes.

It should be acceptable for private use, though.

Dude, the King found himself with more money than he could ever spare. We can take giant loans and invest them in whatever we like. The percentages we have to pay are so low,. they are basically non-existant.

^ Top  
  9. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I'm with Neville on the loan. Let's put his money into a sweep account and rehypothecate that bitch.

^ Top  
  10. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Mby it dont have to be hard to detect after all. If we will get a permission from Empire administration and Kingdom administration to open gate with lets say 10-15% cut of toll we will get on gate. We will still have monopol on profits from it and possible additional gain from Assets we could pass through it.

^ Top  
  11. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    1.( A if not using loan money in 2.A) else Bv 750 wp > Biii > E. If we are asking for cash a quarter of the haul seems about right. Added as Bv
    2. (A bought with loan money and not 1.A) else B
    3. A
    4. ABE. No fallen lord 'friends' discussion.
    5. A. 12x for each girl. 18wp
    6. BA
    7. B > A

^ Top  
  12. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Muirthemne won't allow a continuous portal. No sane government would. It's a doorway for Lovecraftian horrors to inevitably sweep through. I think making plans around this is just a bad idea.

As for the loan, well, if the king actually offers us an extensive one at that interest rate I'd be all for it, but it honestly feels like gaming the system to me at this point and I doubt Fangshi would allow it. There's the opportunity cost for the king afterall, in regards to what he could actually be doing with that sum. That and what collateral are we offering him? What is he to do if we die?

It's for these reasons I'm not even bothering considering such a loan.

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    It has an in-universe explanation, though. The Eberhardts controlled 3/4th of the country's finances. The government got ahold of the assets of about 20 houses - somewhere around 3000 gold in liquid cash, and much more than that in other properties. They don't even have enough people to manage it all.

Giving away the extra cash on loans does sound like a decent solution to the 'problem'.

The only gamey part about that is the low interest rate... and, well, it can be adjusted if it gets too outrageous.

Mayer is a partner, and he is not going anywhere. If we die, our share in the joint venture wll go to the Muirthemne branch, and the loan will be theirs, as well as all the property we aquired. If they die, too, I guess it all goes to Mayer. If he dies as well, Albrecht can take it back.

The same property we buy will serve as a collateral. I don't think Albrecht will require more than that after what we did for him if we limit ourselves to buying assets in the dwarven lands only.

It is workable.

The downside, of course, is that we won't be seeing much income until we pay off the loan.

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    One more thing. Regading where it would be best to own property.
    Do I need to say more?

How safe it would be to have our assets in Muirthemne when we are one sneeze away from making enemies out of the most influental people that govern the Empire?

Nope, I prefer to earn my money where they can't be taken away.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Think of the loan, especially to buy property in the city that can be used as collateral, as an inducement to keep us interested in the Dwarven Kingdom and partially under the thumb of the King. He can use that leverage to cause us to act when we might not on our own volition. If the money is just going to sit in a vault anyway, it isn't a horrible trade.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    On an unrelated note...
    I just find the whole situation absurd, grotesque and surreal.

Just... why? What was that indwarven cruelty for? Don't they hire professionals anymore? Why did they need to ensure the captives would not flee if they didn't intend to return them? Why did they keep the prisoners alive for three days straight? For... fun? I mean, there was absolutely no benefit to it. No purpose... nothing.

I guess this exists to show how ruthless the Eberhardts were and to justify our retaliation, but it still does not make any sense. All that transpired was a result from the actions of one of the Eberhardt's minions, Ullr, and the people he hired. The responsibility for the act is on him. This does not reflect all that much on the rest of the Eberhardts, and some of them surely had kids of their own.

Yet it was enough for Derryth to absolve herself from any guilt she might have felt towards them when she went on a crusade against them. I guess I can hardly blame her. Still, the situation would be downright comedic if it wasn't so horrible - thousands of people are dead, whole families extinguished, the gallows working non-stop for days on end just because one moron wanted to make a quick buck by turning our friend in.

I guess we might want to enforce the rule that no assholes are allowed in our organization. They are too expensive to keep around.

^ Top  
  17. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Biii
    A
    A
    ABE
    A 12each seems popular.
    AB
    B

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Just to make sure, Fangshi, where the risks are coming from? From what I've read, the most probable cause is exhaustion. A Healing spell is enough to leave a person drained for a day, and I assume it only gets worse with the Greater Healing.

But don't mandrake roots take care of this problem?

Alternatively, what happens if you link more people, like tens of people, use them as batteries and spread the strain evenly?

Is the power source even the main problem?

When it comes to magic rituals, I'd rather pay the price in coins and hours than in blood and lives.

^ Top  
  19. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    The only time we used the gate spell and had issues with Lovecraftian horrors was when we were helping the fetch cross planes. We held a gate open for three days without issue when we were looting. It seems using the spell on non planar travel is much safer.

^ Top  
  20. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well it is randomized to a degree since there are other interested parties competing here with Mayer but he knows his business well. He can probably get you a return of 15 WPs monthly for every 50 WPs you sink here. It might be a bit higher, it might be a bit lower. It will likely take a month or so to get everything organized and up and running though given the state the kingdom will be in, in the short term.

I will include financing options for Mayer in the next update once your strategy has been chosen since it should not impact the narrative much, simply the options you have available and the money you make.

Sure, that is a sensible precaution. They can work on it during your daily meetings.

You can take out a loan if you want but it will not be at 0.1% interest. That was a courtesy to you from the King. He was essentially gifting you the funds discretely to avoid Eberhardt attention.

If you request a loan as large as 1000 WPs you will not get such a generous rate of interest since you will be competing against the other royalist noble houses.

If he gave you that much money with that low an interest rate it would be clear to everyone with eyes to see it that he is trying to use you to seize absolute control of the kingdom. It would completely alienate the remaining houses (most of which are great houses) and could push things towards a civil war if the remaining nobles feel threatened enough by the advantage he would give you.

As such he can not give you a loan for those purposes. If you want that sort of loan you are looking at the standard 20% monthly interest rate and it will have to be from the Goldsmith Guild (they would be used as an intermediary to ensure everything looks above board) and even then it would seem a little like favouritism. Mayer could also float you a loan but it would be in the range of a few hundred WPs only. He does not believe in charity so you are looking at a 15% interest rate there.

If the property option wins in question 2. then I will include financing options in the next update, otherwise things might get a bit too complicated.

It would have to be shipped by caravan. Perhaps every two to three months. It is the only known way to get it from Myrgard to Muirthemne.

Yes, that could be done I did not want to make the list too complicated though. The way I can do that is if property or equipment win then I can include an option on the next update to take some of the reward in cash. If you take the letter then I will also add another question to the next update if you want to ask for wealth as well (the options will be for smaller sums naturally).

200WPs for it.

Added

Sure, if you decide to try and open a Gate and if you manage to do it part of setting up the business will be negotiating with the King for his cut of the profits. It can be discussed if it gets to that point.

Albrecht will have concerns though, he does not want you letting demons and the like into his kingdom so you would have to demonstrate to him that the process is safe.

So no, they did not hire 'professionals'. ;)

The short answer is that the Eberhardt staff did it because they were bored and had nothing else to do. The dwarf that served as a jailer and torturer in an illegal, secret prison was not kind and lacked a certain basic empathy for others.

Not quite. Characters do not necessarily have access to all the information they need when they make their decisions. Eberhardt had no idea what his supporters were up to there. He was probably disgusted by what he saw at the trial as well. Though it is entirely possible that he believed that Albrecht had done this to Trakk's family and that they were simply more falsified 'evidence' to be used against him.

If this were a fair, impartial, 'modern' court then yes. The blame should have stopped with Ullr but Albrecht did not want Ullr dead, did not need Ullr dead. Ullr is a nobody. Albrecht wanted Eberhardt and his entire faction dead, there was no mistake here, the King got the exact outcome he hoped for.

It is worth noting that it does bother Derryth that so many people died on her testimony but she is not really the type to feel guilty about it to begin with and her concern for Biliku and Uttu is capable of easily overriding any concern she might feel for strangers.

Yes, your body could give out. The spell works like a Heal spell only is much longer and more demanding. Instead of simply exhausting you, it can kill you. If you run out of energy, it will start to consume you to keep the spell going. At that point if you can not break it off you will die. There is no danger to the patient but a fair bit to the caster.

They will give you a power source but you will need a lot of them. Still as long as you have enough it should limit some of the danger. You have never cast the spell before so there is always the possibility that something could go wrong.

If you spread the strain out it makes it easier. You would need to teach Lyssa and Thaïs how to at least cast Heal though at the very least.

Current Tally:
    Show Spoiler
    Nevill:
    1.E>Bv 2.A 3.D 4.A,B,E 5.A 36 12/12/12 6.A,B 7.B

Kz3r0
    1.C 2.B 3.D 4.A,B,E 5.A 36 12/12/12 6.A,B 7.C

asxetos:
    1.C 2.A 3.A 4.A,B 5.A 36 12/12/12 6.A,B 7.A

Smashing Axe:
    1.A>Biii>Biv>C 2.B(1.A)>A(1.B)>B(1.C) 3.C>A 4.A,B,E 5.A 12 12/0/0 6.A,B 7.C>A

Jester:
    1.A 2.B 3.A 4.A,B,E 5.A 36 12/12/12 6.A,B 7.B

archaen:
    1.A>Bv 750 wp>Biii>E 2.A>B 3.A 4.A,B,E 5.A 36 12/12/12 6.A,B 7.B>A

Grimgravy:
    1.Biii 2.A 3.A 4.A,B,E 5.A 36 12/12/12 6.A,B 7.B

Azira:
    1.A 2.A 3.A 4.A,E 5.A 36 12/12/12 6. A,B 7.D

Zero Credibility:
    1.C>Bii 2.B 3.A 4.A,B,E 5.A 36 12/12/12 6.D 7.C>A

GreyViper:
    1.F 2.A 3.A 4.A,B,D 5.A 36 12/12/12 6.A,B 7.B

A) 4 votes
    B)
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 1 vote
    iv.
    v.
    C) 3 votes
    D)
    E) 1 vote
    F) 1 vote

A) 6 votes
    B) 4 votes

A) 7 votes
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D) 2 votes

A) 10 votes
    B) 9 votes
    C)
    D) 1 vote
    E) 8 votes

A) 10 votes (9 for 36 split 12/12/12, 1 for 12 all given to Derryth)
    B)

A) 9 votes
    B) 9 votes
    C)
    D) 1 vote

A) 1 vote
    B) 5 votes
    C) 3 votes
    D) 1 vote

Post-Flop:
    A) 4 votes
    B)
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 1 vote
    iv.
    v.
    C) 3 votes
    D)
    E) 1 vote
    F) 1 vote

A) 6 votes
    B) 4 votes

A) 8 votes
    B)
    C)
    D) 2 votes

A) 10 votes
    B) 9 votes
    C)
    D) 1 vote
    E) 8 votes

A) 10 votes (9 for 36 split 12/12/12, 1 for 12 all given to Derryth)
    B)

A) 9 votes
    B) 9 votes
    C)
    D) 1 vote

A) 1 vote
    B) 5 votes
    C) 3 votes
    D) 1 vote

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Assuming a 30% return as stated by Fangshi:

Taking a 200wp loan from Mayer will take 6 months to pay down the principal plus interest and there after a net 60wp a month.

Assuming a 25% return due to higher competition due to larger purchasing amount

Taking a 1000wp loan from the King will pay back principal and interest in 11 months and then provide 250wp per month. Even with a 22.5% return the loan is paid off in 21months with a net 225wp. Dueling compounding interest are insane how fast their little differentials run away from each other.

^ Top  
  22. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Hmm btw if we will get 1A could we buy some properties for Mayer? I think he knows what was confiscated by crown, what of those could make most profit and it helps to avoid increased cost.

On other hand if we will get money from king lets say 750 and invest it with Mayer 50/15 wp. We will get 225 wp/m income. With 500 we will get 150 wp/m.
    Wonder how much we can get from 1A/2B.

^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Certainly, they are not mutually exclusive.

^ Top  
  24. Ghaad Novice

Ghaad
    About the message back to Muirthemne, why not using both? 3WP seems like petty cash compared to our expenses, and it would add a back-up in case either of those messages is intercepted and lost / modified.

^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Oh, no, Albrecht's side of the story is completely understandable. I don't think he can afford concerns about fairness when they threaten to take his kingdom back from him. And the motivations of Derryth are transparent to an extent - it is better that they die than we do, and there are no simple solutions to the internal strife of that caliber. At least the army didn't get invoved and it didn't come to a full blown rebellion.

Still, when you go back to the event that lit the fuse under the barrel, it screams 'for want of a nail'.

Guys, I think we must do this. The profits we are looking at can cover the interest rate and net us a small surplus, and we can pay off the rest of the loan with the income from the property we buy with our own money.

I'll amend my votes to 1.E>Bv.

You forget that the interest rate is conted on a monthly basis. So after 11 months, if we are paying 200 WPs out of 250 WPs of profits to keep the interest rate from growing, we are looking at 550WPs of profits with the loan still in place. It will take us 20 months to cover it fully with this payment scheme. Sounds reasonable.

Assuming a 30% pay-off rate it will take us 10 months.

Kz3r0, asxetos, what are your preferences for the 7th option? You seem to be counted as A, but you might want to choose a different approach.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.