Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That right there was a missed opportunity to find out what is it that Mayer wants.

I wonder when he decides to tell us what exactly is wrong with his wife. Sure, with his resourses he have probably tried everything already, but he does not have access to the Falled Lords and the Ultimate Archmages, does he? :smug:

^ Top  
  2. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    1. A) Confiscated Assets and Property

2. A) Properties

3. A) You will send the letter by eagle.

4. A) Warn them about Trakk
    E) Warn them about the Watcher, tell them to look out for contracts on hunting necromancers, see if they can gauge anything useful out of this

5. A) Yes, 12 for each mage, 36 total cubes

6. A) Additional arrows for Uttu (1WP = 2 quivers)
    B) Seven pieces of nice, basic jewelry. (5 WPs)

7. D) You do not risk trying to help her.

^ Top  
  3. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Some interesting developments since I was last here. Voting:

1) F > C > Bii
    - I would like to ask the king for permission to open a permanent portal to the capitol of the empire. If we pull this off we could start a profitable partnership for everyone involved, us, the kingdom and the empire. Also, can we get more than one choice here? I don't see a letter giving us access to the Academy costing that much.
    2) B
    3) A
    4) A B E
    5) A
    - as many as possible
    6) C - buy the broken power source once our inventor friend wakes up and takes a look at it.
    7) C > A - with access to the Academy this should be easier. And it's not like we are a complete amateur when it comes to fixing broken minds either, we are a mentalist, aren't we? I don't like the possible questions in B, though I don't really see why would knowing a greater heal be that suspicious. Every mage in this world has secrets.

edit: updated votes

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I don't think you need a favor from the King to open a portal.

The benefits for the kingdom are so obvious, that he would do it anyway once we prove it is safe and offer him a share of profits - and if it is not safe, I doubt he'll do it even as a favor.

^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    It will depend on what is chosen. If the letter is chosen then I will include the option to choose more (smaller) rewards in the next update. Similarly if the assets or items are chosen I will also include an option to choose smaller rewards as well with any remaining 'favours' or goodwill you might have. For the time being though this vote will be limited to one choice to keep it manageable for me. I have to count all these votes after all. :lol:

He would likely be open to the idea but Derryth thinks you should only approach him once everything is in place and you can guarantee that it will work. You do not want him reject the idea as impossible or too dangerous. There may also be the possibility that he would try to copy the idea for himself which you might want to avoid. Though that might just be paranoia on Derryth's part.

Only Heron Guard specialize in healing magics as far as anyone knows and advanced healing magics are very rare. He would be curious who you learnt that from since it would most likely be a Heron Guard or a Journeyman and they really are not supposed to share their spells with outsiders. Naturally you can not tell him who actually taught you to the spell.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Wait, what about the regular Heal spell? We are not even supposed to tell him that we got it from Serpent?

For that matter, how did Serpent learn this?

Wait, Serpent did not know it either... Just where did we learn the basic spell?

Or did he deduce how to cast it once we taught him the basics of magical theory?

^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Nine taught you (she is just so very helpful). You learnt it during the Revelations update. Serpent left the mandrake roots behind and Nine taught you how to cast with them. You then taught Serpent how to properly do it when you met back up at the Offices. He used the theory he knew about the mandrake roots in conjuction with the magical theory you taught him during your trip and the pointers Nine gave you to quickly master the spell and heal up the wounded (It was a combination of his preexisting skills, Quick Learner trait and his unrivaled INT that let him do it).

Here you go:

By my math that would be about eighty cubes. Did you want that many?

Added

On second thought I have added this as well should people want to pursue it right away. You can pursue it at a later date as well.

Added

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I have many questions, but I don't have a clue how to even start phrasing them... :lol:

^ Top  
  9. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Given the new info, I'll adjust my voting. Asking the king for the portal can wait until we secure the power source and prove that this really works.

For the cubes I'll go along with what everyone is voting, I just meant that you can never have too many of these things they way we are burning through them.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fangshi, do our friends have any way to verify if the letter is genuine? I guess we didn't establish these precautions.

One way I can see it ending is that the letter falls in the hands of Trakk and his mercenaries. In that case it gives him a perfect excuse to infiltrate our ranks, as he can replace the letter.

I guess we might want to plan around that.

Say, wasn't Brigit into riddles? We might want to cipher the letter with a simple code, and give them instructions in plain text on how to decipher it with a certain key, the key being something that only the members of our circle know. Say, Nine's name, or the name of our circle, or anything from our adventures in Muirthemne we didn't share with anybody else.

In the meantime, I'll amend my vote to 3D.

^ Top  
  11. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I'll flop 1.A and 2.A for ultimate Dwarven slumlord.

^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yeah, let's become a land owner on par with the Brannons, install Mayer as the King's minister of finance, and subtly influence the Dwarven Kingdom to duke it out with the Eastern Empire while making profits from supplying both sides with Melete's rifles.
    :keepmyjewgold:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Simple business plan huh?

^ Top  
  14. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well there are a few basic ciphers that Derryth knows from her time as a grave robber treasure hunter which Brigit probably also knows given her past as a thief but they are the sorts of things that anyone sufficiently skilled in these matters could break. You have nothing that would make it past the Pathfinders or the Imperial Police if they really wanted to know what you are writing about.

As for Trakk, if he is skilled and/or lucky enough to intercept a single letter/pair of letters sent by courier and/or Lyssa's bird then he probably has the skills and/or luck necessary to read and alter the letter you send unless you are using something quite advanced. Gareth is not expecting your letter after all so he has as much time as he needs to alter things should he intercept the letter(s).

Still, if you want to put the whole thing in code it can be done. I do not even need a vote if there are no dissenting opinions.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Pathfinders and the Imperial Police are fine. I am worried about Trakk.

He could intercept the letter by sheer luck, but he would have no way to know the letter is from Derryth. As far as he knows, it is just something for the old shopkeeper, so he has no reason to pay too much attention to it.

Of course, there is the matter that the cipher attracts the curious just because they think if something is hidden it would be worth their time to uncover it. The plan is that, if the letter sent with the eagle is intercepted, cracking the cipher would take enough time for the courier to arrive with the duplicate, at which point the first letter becomes useless. I don't know, it made sense to me when I thought about it. :)

By the way, may I ask why the Eberhardts and the other lords fled from the city once the undead attacked? Did someone tip them off about the oncoming trial? It is not like they achieved much by that except for providing Albrecht with an excuse to accuse them of conspiring with the Dark and annihilate them.

^ Top  
  16. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Hey, if we encounter Trakk again, would you guys consent to forcing him into a re-education program so we get another servant? He's an enemy, plus he probably wants to killl Thais or something. We really need to make an example out of people who hate us a lot. So others hate us less. Right? Plus we really ought to milk our mentalist powers for all they're worth. I mean, necromancy will give you an army, we need to use mentalism to give us an army as well.

Essentially, I want to be the Deceiver. A guy who if captured by an army, will turn that army into his own. You know, like Napoleon.

^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Eberhardt was not a fool, he was merely dealt a poor hand, he knew the trial was coming but the odds of escaping Myrgard when the city was essentially under martial law were quite poor. If he had tried to flee and been caught then he would have been imprisoned. Eberhardt had a lot of money but he still lacked the actual muscle to fight it out with the King and the royalist Great Houses. He took his chance in the chaos of the attack as he had no other cards to play. In the end it simply was not enough.

If he had been given three or four more months to get everything ready though he could have done substantial damage to Albrecht and he may even have been able to win a war.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    It is a shame the houses were completely exterminated and the military didn't have a chance to get involved. Think of all the dwarven orphans we could have used to build an army of fanatically loyal followers!

Our way is neither that of the Watcher, nor that of the Deceiver, but lovingly brainwashing all those kids who's parents we managed to off. Biliku and Uttu, our first victims charges, would make for fitting leaders of such an army.

Ah, well, better luck next time.

^ Top  
  19. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    So what you're telling me is that you want to start a Hitler Youth program? I can work with that. Still, I want to do disturbing utilitarian stuff with our magic, otherwise there's no point to it all!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    With all the Fallen Lords and Archmages we are putting into position I am sure there will be ample orphans available for future recruitment sooner rather than later.

When all our plans combine we will be the Feminist Nazi Zionist circle of the Lost.

Unrelated. How does one brofist? Do I need to unlock it somehow ?

^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    You have to wait a year I think before the feature unlocks, same as with the 'privilege' of viewing GD.

Well there are a number of orphaned security companies. Poor little things, no one to pay them to smash heads, no one to guide them to the most tempting targets to plunder protect. If only someone would look after them!

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Zionist Circle of the Lost Feminazi.

It has a nice ring to it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    1.F
    2.A
    3. A
    4. ABD
    5. A. 12x for each girl. 18wp
    6. BA
    7. B

^ Top  
  24. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The current leading options are:

1.A You will arrage a meeting with Albrecht's people to see what you can get of the confiscated assets and property
    2.A You will have Mayer focus on snatching up as much profitable property as possible
    3.A You will send a letter to your Muirthemne group via eagle
    4.A,B,E You will warn them about Trakk, ask about crows and black riders and warn them about the Watcher
    5.A 36 12/12/12 You will buy 36 energon cubes, each mage will get twelve
    6.A,B You will also purchase the arrows for Uttu and seven pieces of nice and simple jewelry to enchant
    7.B You will try and find that Heron Guard and ask him for help casting the ritual needed to repair Trakk's family

The vote will close in twelve hours or so with an update to follow within the usual time frame.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.