Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, let's become a land owner on par with the Brannons, install Mayer as the King's minister of finance, and subtly influence the Dwarven Kingdom to duke it out with the Eastern Empire while making profits from supplying both sides with Melete's rifles.
:keepmyjewgold:

Jester

Arbiter
Yeah, let's become a land owner on par with the Brannons, install Mayer as the King's minister of finance, and subtly influence the Dwarven Kingdom to duke it out with the Eastern Empire while making profits from supplying both sides with Melete's rifles.
:keepmyjewgold:
Simple business plan huh?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, do our friends have any way to verify if the letter is genuine? I guess we didn't establish these precautions.

Say, wasn't Brigit into riddles? We might want to cipher the letter with a simple code, and give them instructions in plain text on how to decipher it with a certain key, the key being something that only the members of our circle know. Say, Nine's name, or the name of our circle, or anything from our adventures in Muirthemne we didn't share with anybody else.

Well there are a few basic ciphers that Derryth knows from her time as a grave robber treasure hunter which Brigit probably also knows given her past as a thief but they are the sorts of things that anyone sufficiently skilled in these matters could break. You have nothing that would make it past the Pathfinders or the Imperial Police if they really wanted to know what you are writing about.

As for Trakk, if he is skilled and/or lucky enough to intercept a single letter/pair of letters sent by courier and/or Lyssa's bird then he probably has the skills and/or luck necessary to read and alter the letter you send unless you are using something quite advanced. Gareth is not expecting your letter after all so he has as much time as he needs to alter things should he intercept the letter(s).

Still, if you want to put the whole thing in code it can be done. I do not even need a vote if there are no dissenting opinions.

Nevill

Arcane
Pathfinders and the Imperial Police are fine. I am worried about Trakk.

He could intercept the letter by sheer luck, but he would have no way to know the letter is from Derryth. As far as he knows, it is just something for the old shopkeeper, so he has no reason to pay too much attention to it.

Of course, there is the matter that the cipher attracts the curious just because they think if something is hidden it would be worth their time to uncover it. The plan is that, if the letter sent with the eagle is intercepted, cracking the cipher would take enough time for the courier to arrive with the duplicate, at which point the first letter becomes useless. I don't know, it made sense to me when I thought about it. :)

By the way, may I ask why the Eberhardts and the other lords fled from the city once the undead attacked? Did someone tip them off about the oncoming trial? It is not like they achieved much by that except for providing Albrecht with an excuse to accuse them of conspiring with the Dark and annihilate them.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Hey, if we encounter Trakk again, would you guys consent to forcing him into a re-education program so we get another servant? He's an enemy, plus he probably wants to killl Thais or something. We really need to make an example out of people who hate us a lot. So others hate us less. Right? Plus we really ought to milk our mentalist powers for all they're worth. I mean, necromancy will give you an army, we need to use mentalism to give us an army as well.

Essentially, I want to be the Deceiver. A guy who if captured by an army, will turn that army into his own. You know, like Napoleon.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
By the way, may I ask why the Eberhardts and the other lords fled from the city once the undead attacked? Did someone tip them off about the oncoming trial? It is not like they achieved much by that except for providing Albrecht with an excuse to accuse them of conspiring with the Dark and annihilate them.

Eberhardt was not a fool, he was merely dealt a poor hand, he knew the trial was coming but the odds of escaping Myrgard when the city was essentially under martial law were quite poor. If he had tried to flee and been caught then he would have been imprisoned. Eberhardt had a lot of money but he still lacked the actual muscle to fight it out with the King and the royalist Great Houses. He took his chance in the chaos of the attack as he had no other cards to play. In the end it simply was not enough.

If he had been given three or four more months to get everything ready though he could have done substantial damage to Albrecht and he may even have been able to win a war.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I mean, necromancy will give you an army, we need to use mentalism to give us an army as well.
It is a shame the houses were completely exterminated and the military didn't have a chance to get involved. Think of all the dwarven orphans we could have used to build an army of fanatically loyal followers!

Our way is neither that of the Watcher, nor that of the Deceiver, but lovingly brainwashing all those kids who's parents we managed to off. Biliku and Uttu, our first victims charges, would make for fitting leaders of such an army.

Ah, well, better luck next time.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
I mean, necromancy will give you an army, we need to use mentalism to give us an army as well.
It is a shame the houses were completely exterminated and the military didn't have a chance to get involved. Think of all the dwarven orphans we could have used to build an army of fanatically loyal followers.

Our way is neither that of the Watcher, nor that of the Deceiver, but lovingly brainwashing all those kids who's parents we managed to off. Biliku and Uttu, being the first of our charges, would make for fitting leaders of such an army.

So what you're telling me is that you want to start a Hitler Youth program? I can work with that. Still, I want to do disturbing utilitarian stuff with our magic, otherwise there's no point to it all!

archaen

Cipher
Patron
It is a shame the houses were completely exterminated and the military didn't have a chance to get involved. Think of all the dwarven orphans we could have used to build an army of fanatically loyal followers!

Our way is neither that of the Watcher, nor that of the Deceiver, but lovingly brainwashing all those kids who's parents we managed to off. Biliku and Uttu, our first victims charges, would make for fitting leaders of such an army.

With all the Fallen Lords and Archmages we are putting into position I am sure there will be ample orphans available for future recruitment sooner rather than later.

When all our plans combine we will be the Feminist Nazi Zionist circle of the Lost.

Unrelated. How does one brofist? Do I need to unlock it somehow ?

Fangshi

Arcane
archaen said:
Unrelated. How does one brofist? Do I need to unlock it somehow ?

You have to wait a year I think before the feature unlocks, same as with the 'privilege' of viewing GD.

Nevill said:

Well there are a number of orphaned security companies. Poor little things, no one to pay them to smash heads, no one to guide them to the most tempting targets to plunder protect. If only someone would look after them!

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
The current leading options are:

1.A You will arrage a meeting with Albrecht's people to see what you can get of the confiscated assets and property
2.A You will have Mayer focus on snatching up as much profitable property as possible
3.A You will send a letter to your Muirthemne group via eagle
4.A,B,E You will warn them about Trakk, ask about crows and black riders and warn them about the Watcher
5.A 36 12/12/12 You will buy 36 energon cubes, each mage will get twelve
6.A,B You will also purchase the arrows for Uttu and seven pieces of nice and simple jewelry to enchant
7.B You will try and find that Heron Guard and ask him for help casting the ritual needed to repair Trakk's family

The vote will close in twelve hours or so with an update to follow within the usual time frame.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
The only action here that I'm really against is finding the Heron Guard to heal Trakk's family. I don't want that level of attention brought upon us just yet. Better for us to work with the Academy once more than to give away important information to people who have every right to execute us for treason.

Nevill

Arcane
Look, I much prefer the risks that come with inter-personal relationships to the ones caused by arrogance or ineptitude.

Any official of the Empire that would know anything substantial about us would have a right to imprison or execute us. Do you want to relocate your base of operations from Muirthemne because of that? No? Then I guess we have to learn how to live with it without giving the information away.

We started off on the right foot, so I am not all too worried about him.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Look, I much prefer the risks that come with inter-personal relationships to the ones caused by arrogance or ineptitude.

Any official of the Empire that would know anything substantial about us would have a right to imprison or execute us. Do you want to relocate your base of operations from Muirthemne because of that? No? Then I guess we have to learn how to live with it without giving the information away.

We started off on the right foot, so I am not all too worried about him.
Yeah, except drawing his attention to us and the abilities that we shouldn't have is giving information we don't want to give away. Better to keep the guy out of this entirely.

I'm fine with interacting with him when required, but this is hardly necessary and just heightens our exposure. The alternative of working with the academy comes with much less relative risk. Given what you've said in the bold I don't understand why you still want to work with this guy when alternatives are available.

Nevill

Arcane
Yeah, except drawing his attention to us and the abilities that we shouldn't have is giving information we don't want to give away.
Now, who is there to say what abilities we should or should not have? It is unusual, yes, but that is not a crime in itself.

Given what you've said in the bold I don't understand why you still want to work with this guy when alternatives are available.
Because I deem him a better alternative?

I honestly was surprised that you are voting for this choice at all, given that it grants us no benefits other then calming our conscience, and that the risk it entails lies completely with us and not with the objects of the ritual.

Your secrets won't do you any good if you are dead. If the Guard is the one who can help us survive this, then he is the one I will be working with. Since the spell requires highly experienced mages, and barely a week have passed since we've mastered Heal (and the other girls don't even know it yet), I figured he would be our best bet.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, except drawing his attention to us and the abilities that we shouldn't have is giving information we don't want to give away.
Now, who is there to say what abilities we should or should not have? It is unusual, yes, but that is not a crime in itself.

Given what you've said in the bold I don't understand why you still want to work with this guy when alternatives are available.
Because I deem him a better alternative?

I honestly was surprised that you are voting for this choice at all, given that it grants us no benefits other then calming our conscience, and that the risk it entails lies completely with us and not with the objects of the ritual.

Your secrets won't do you any good if you are dead. If the Guard is the one who can help us survive this, then he is the one I will be working with. Since the spell requires highly experienced mages, and barely a week have passed since we've mastered Heal (and the other girls don't even know it yet), I figured he would be our best bet.
Any excuse will do to master greater heal. The sooner we have that under our belt the more often we can do stupid dangerous stuff and live without some horrible deformity. C is superior because it brings us closer to mastery without committing us to the action like A or B. It also doesn't draw any suspicion on us from the Guard. The only disadvantage that comes with it is time invested, but I consider that worth the trade off since it's putting us closer to mastering the spell.

Nevill

Arcane
Smashing Axe said:
C is superior because it brings us closer to mastery without committing us to the action like A or B.
I am sorry, didn't you confuse it with D? Because I am pretty sure any other choice is a commitment.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Smashing Axe said:
C is superior because it brings us closer to mastery without committing us to the action like A or B.
I am sorry, didn't you confuse it with D? Because I am pretty sure any other choice is a commitment.
C) Try to research the necessary spells with the help of the Royal Academy. They are no healers though it is a field they know little about.
As written there's no. "You'll do the ritual anyway even if you know you can't do it right" or anything of the sort. It's, you'll research the spell further to the purpose of healing Trakk's family. But it doesn't necessarily mean we'll commit to that, it depends on the outcome of C.

Nevill

Arcane
Ah, that's true. I suppose I am biased because I came up with that particular option myself and envisioned it a bit differently.

Still does not make a difference to me.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Healing Trakk's family is just good role playing at this point. We failed both those will rolls and purposefully did not act to save them when we raided the compound. Sounds like our characters have tons of guilt and compassion for them.

After we heal them it may be good to suggest to the King he parade them around the city to show people the carrot now that he just hit with the nuclear stick.

I like healing Trakk's family with the Heron gaurd because we engage with the Heron guard while doing something altruistic while still showing our power and knowledge. Having saved his life he should at least hear us out.

Nevill

Arcane
After we heal them it may be good to suggest to the King he parade them around the city to show people the carrot now that he just hit with the nuclear stick.
Why would Derryth do that, have them paraded like some kind of wierd animals?

I wanted to make a proposal to the King to take care of them - offer them a stipend, or a position, or something like that. It would alleviate our guilt somewhat to see their futures settled, and it is of use to Albrecht to keep them around, as those two will serve as a constant reminder to people about just why the Eberhardts were purged. It is a good publicity for the King to help the victims that suffered at the hands of the 'servants of the Dark', and it makes his actions against his rivals appear more legitimate. Don't get me wrong, there is no one who would go against him openly right now, but just a few months ago the Royal House was on a verge of collapse. Gestures like that soothe people's hearts and solidify the King's position.

But I guess we'll have to survive the ritual, first.

And yes, it makes for a good cause to get to know the Guard better. We have to start seeking allies in the Empire as well now that we have made powerful enemies there.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
The vote is now closed. The update will be out as usual some time between twelve and sixteen hours from now when I have a moment.

The winning options are:

1.A You will arrage a meeting with Albrecht's people to see what you can get of the confiscated assets and property
2.A You will have Mayer focus on snatching up as much profitable property as possible
3.A You will send a letter to your Muirthemne group via eagle
4.A,B,E You will warn them about Trakk, ask about crows and black riders and warn them about the Watcher
5.A 36 12/12/12 You will buy 36 energon cubes, each mage will get twelve
6.A,B You will also purchase the arrows for Uttu and seven pieces of nice and simple jewelry to enchant
7.B You will try and find that Heron Guard and ask him for help casting the ritual needed to repair Trakk's family

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom