Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    1 B iii
    2 E F
    3 C
    4 C

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    ...you don't have 500WP to pay him because we didn't take money as a reward. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Really, 3C isn't the way to go here. We're going to have rivals regardless and we want to put ourselves in the best possible position we can. Once we have it, we have it, and it will only settle down from there. There's no reason we shouldn't go for the best possible legal business ventures, especially if we're going to be providing Mayer with borrowed money, because we want to ensure that the return is higher than the interest we're paying. I don't think we have that guarantee if we're being cowardly friendship is magic ponies who avoid the best opportunities because people might not like us.

I still don't fully trust Mayer but we've decided to go with him over easier to control business interests, so I'm prepared to take the risk of betrayal for more gain.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    1. Biii
    2. EF > EL
    3. A > B
    4. BC

We should grab as much as we can as fast as we can and finance as much as we can get. Opportunities like this don't come often and we want to be sitting pretty when the dust clears. For 3 I doubt the major houses will handicap themselves in such a manner and we will lose out on the 30% interest type properties which makes taking out loans worth it. This may hurt our relationships immediately but once we are rich and powerful we can curry favor from a position of strength. It may be worth it to have Mayer as a silent partner in all our properties so any legal challenge can be faced by a dwarf instead of a human outsiders. Give him a free x% stake in our holdings for his trouble.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    You've convinced me to put in A as a conditional archaen. Legally questionable isn't the same as outright illegal, after all. Hell, doing anything involving taxation in most countries is legally questionable because no one knows what the laws are in their entirety. Let's go full on, MARKET RAIDER
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, I am pretty sure that between taking a loan of 1000 WPs (which already reeks of favoritism to anyone who is not stupid), gaining control over the trading routes, and clashing with the major houses for property we are going to have not only rivals, but outright enemies. If we are going to make life that much difficult to Albrecht, he'll just let us sink. It's not as if he does not like us, but he likes his country more, as any good ruler should.

Smashing Axe just wants to conquer nations with necromancy, so the sooner the second civil war breaks out, the better for him.

Myself, I think it might be a good idea to lay low and grab the power without alerting everyone in a 1000 mile radius about our ambitions. I am tempted to go 3C for that end.

We didn't win over the Eberhardts by ourselves. It was the King that destroyed them with our help. Without him, we are just two easily disposable bodies before the great houses. Let's not forget that, ok?

Ah, who am I kidding. It is going to be Melete's workshop again. :lol:

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I am afraid greed have blinded people to basic math.

Apparently, anything below 30% interest rate 'is not worth it'.

Let me come up with a highly hypothetical example. Suppose we only get deals with 20% interest rate. It is so shitty that we can't even pay off the loan, right?

Well, wrong. For a loan of 1000 WPs we pay 200 WPs monthly and acquire the same 200 WPs from the property we bought. But we also have acquired two other sources of income. Suppose they make us 100 WPs monthly (i.e. they are only half as good as that 'shitty' deal Mayer could procure). They pay off the loan in 10 months, and then we get an income of 300 WPs monthly, earning us a ridiculous amount of money legally.

Now, if we didn't take the loan, we would only have 100 WPs of monthly income. Apparently, tripling your income rate 'is not worth it' if it does not happen overnight.

This is oversimplifying things, but it also showcases nicely why the logic "NOT GOOD ENOUGH, I WANT MORE" is not applicable here. It is not dictated by any business sense, it is just pure greed. How much do we want? 300WPs a month? 500 WPs a month? 1000 WPs a day?

If you are going to make in a month more than the royal treasury receives in a year, they will just dispose of you, silently or not.

Taking a loan of that magnitude to make a profit out of it is an extremely bold move which promises sky-high rewards, and we should be careful with how we are going to spend that kind of money.

I think I'll move to 3C.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I will admit I am being greedy, but now is the time to do so. Everything is in an uproar, opportunity abounds, and we have the support of the throne and one of the better businessmen in the city. We can play nice now and strengthen our future competitors who will dislike us on principal because we aren't Dwarven or put ourselves into a fiscally unassailable position with the possibility of coming into a cold war with some of the houses.

I don't see Albercht leaving us to the sharks unless we do something incredibly stupid like get him into a war with the empire or act against him directly. We have saved his life, his family, and his throne. We have perjured ourselves and helped him to destroy the last vestiges of any threat to his rule. Now we are taking a bunch of property off his hands and putting money into use that he does not have the personnel to utilize properly.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Purposefully alienating the great houses is incredibly stupid.

They are not our 'competition', as if they are some peddlers from the street. These people rule the country together with Albrecht. They can even depose him if it comes to it, and that nearly happened with the Eberhardts. Thankfully, Albrecht had enough supporters on his side to shut them down, but the thing about having someone support you is that you need to keep them happy as well.

Let me remind you of this quote:
    This quote refers to a situation where we gain too many favors too quickly, and to what is going to happen if we let the greed control us yet again. Counting on the King to protect us while we dig the grave both for ourselves and his country is... less than wise.

Third rule of dungeon delving, guys. It does not only apply to dungeons.

^ Top  
  10. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Biii
    BE>EF Warehouses full uf mystery!
    C
    C

^ Top  
  11. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    1) BIII - this will be funny i guess. Course if something will go bad mind rape is possible solution.
    2)FG >FE - we have personnel already so its not top priority for me.
    in C can we somehow use that magical spider thing to make it better?

3)B
    4)if 2 FG will win) A 500wp
    if not B

Ps 2F is between capitals of Empire and Dwarf kingdom y?

^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Muirthemne is the capital of the Empire. Stoneheim is the old capital of the Dwarven Kingdom.

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The trade routes are between the 'new' dwarven capital of Myrgard and the old dwarven capital of Stoneheim. Here is the map for reference:

[​IMG]

Albrecht does not have the right to unilaterally confiscate the assets of the Eberhardts that are based in the Empire or which are bound up in international agreements. Doing so would make his relations with the Empire even more strained than they already are.

Most of those assets either went to members of (what was) House Eberhardt living in the Empire or to their allies there like the Brannons. Everything the King can offer you is domestic.

You would need to hire people eventually, in the short term you would have to manage it yourself. Mayer can help with the financial end and Berty would probably have no problem handling the military end. He might try to use it as a teaching tool for the girls.

At the moment it is only well known in banking circles that you have met more than once with Mayer. Most of the bankers are dead though and those that remain tend to be cautious about spreading rumours. IT should not take too long though for word to get out about your alliance.

Possibly, you would need to see the machinery and properly examine the spider. Meletē could probably help you with that if/when she is up and about again.

Current Tally:
    Show Spoiler
    Azira: 1.Biii, 2.EG, 3.C, 4.A (500WPs)

Smashing Axe: 1.Biii, 2.EF, 3.A>B, 4.C

asxetos: 1.Biii, 2.AE, 3.B, 4.C

Nevill: 1.Biii, 2.AE>EF, 3.C, 4.C

Kipeci: 1.Biii, 2.EF, 3.B, 4.C

Kz3r0: 1.Biii, 2.EF, 3.C, 4.C

archaen: 1.Biii, 2.EF>AE, 3.A>B, 4.BC

Grimgravy: 1.Biii, 2.BE>EF, 3.C, 4.C

Jester: 1.Biii, 2.FG>FE, 3.B, 4. A (500WPs) (only if FG wins)>B

GreyViper: 1.Biii, 2.EF, 3.A, 4.C

A)
    i.
    ii.
    B)
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 10 votes
    C)

AE) 2 votes
    BE) 1 vote
    EF) 5 votes
    EG) 1 vote
    FE)
    FG) 1 vote

A) 3 votes
    B) 3 votes
    C) 4 votes

A) 2 votes (500WPs, conditional on 1.G)
    B)
    C) 7 votes
    BC) 1 vote

Post Flop:

A)
    i.
    ii.
    B)
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 10 votes
    C)

AE) 1 vote
    BE)
    EF) 7 votes
    EG) 1 vote
    FE)
    FG) 1vote

A) 1 vote
    B) 5 votes
    C) 4 votes

A) 2 votes (500WPs, conditional on 1.G)
    B)
    C) 7 votes
    BC) 1 vote

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yeah, that's what I am angling for. I'd like them to try their hand at running the company eventually. :)

^ Top  
  15. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    1.Biii
    2.E) Securities, F) Caravan Contracts
    3.B
    4.C

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    ^ Top  
  16. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Sorry Fangshi, that EL is supposed to be EA but it autocorrected.

^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The vote will close in fifteen to sixteen hours.

Your current leading options are:

1.Biii You will try to take Damh out drinking and win him over to get Eagle's help.

2.EF You will pick the security firm and the caravans.

3.B You will have Mayer undertake all fair actions to secure as much property as he can.

4.C You will take out the 1000WP loan at 20% monthy interest.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hmmm...

We grab as many rewards as we can to take over the trading routes on the dwarwen territory and use state money to seize a chunk of the country while the owners are dead. The only thing that is keeping us one notch down from the top of the 'must eliminate' list is that we don't outright piss on the law while we screw the great houses over the property they wanted to get for their continued service to the King when we've been around the block for two weeks at most.

Sounds like something the Codex would do alright. :lol:

:avatard:

^ Top  
  19. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    :keepmyjewgold: or the gas chambers!

At least we will have a security force we can use for distractions and can run from the dwarven lands in our getaway wagons if it goes down like you think. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    flop me to 3C to not step on toes.

^ Top  
  21. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    We can deal with anyone that wants to eliminate us, and once we have the properties, the desire to actually end us goes down significantly, simply because the act is done and our death doesn't necessarily mean the property goes back on the market, but to another. Our reputuation, Mayers', our position, and our commonality with the dwarven army is going to mean retailiation, if it happens, will be against us personally. You know, assassins in the shadows rather than a mass assault on the roads. Things that we can control easily as a high wisdom mage with keen eyes, high constitution, and a bunch of control spells.

That and 4C is a really bad idea with 3C as we're going to aim at the less optimal returns with a huge debt and interest rate.

I hate myself for asking, but GreyViper would you consider putting in a contingency to 3B since A isn't likely to win?

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The properties aren't really what is important here. The attention from the King and the power he allows us to wield is what would earn us the ire of the great houses. They served him for centuries, and we've arrived about a week ago, yet he gives us more boons than they ever received for their loyalty?

They are going to feel jealous, and they are going to feel threatened because they would feel like they are becoming unneeded, and those feelings are not going to go away with time. They are only going to get stronger until it boils down to either an assassination attempt, or an outright revolt.

Yeah, we've handled Melete's workshop really well. We had to hide for three days in the deepest bunker and walked right into the first ambush afterwards. If not for the King and his desire to bring the Eberhardts down, we would be dead ten times over.

Now, how likely is it that he will move against his own loyal houses?

I think I have outlined the math on the previous page. The pay-off is huge as well, simply because of how massive the loan is.

^ Top  
  23. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    What is the difference?

So far we've chosen to blow the stuff up whenever given the chance, so I find the sticker rather appropriate.

^ Top  
  25. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    I think you're doomsaying a bit too much here. Firstly, the rate of interest on this loan is ATROSCIOUS, I would never in my life feel jealous of anyone taking a loan with an effective annual interest rate of 791.61%. This hideous rate itself means we need to go for property with the most optimal return if we're to survive it.

As for the jealousy of the loyalist great houses, well we can work to mitigate that somewhat with Thais diplomacy. I don't think it will culminate to what you're speaking of, and what you are speaking of is a long-term problem anyway which we can help pacify with our own actions.

edit:
    How likely is it that the loyalist houses act against the king's will?

Melete's workshop was a result of us walking into the trap of pretty much every damned mercenary in the country. It would require an open act on the part of the noble house responsible, and invite reprisal. Don't forget that we're going to have the largest security company in the dwarven kingdom under our thumb.
    The pay-off is affected by how willing we are to go for high-return properties. I'm fairly certain that C is going to reduce that significantly.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.