Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ps 2F is between capitals of Empire and Dwarf kingdom y?
Muirthemne is the capital of the Empire. Stoneheim is the old capital of the Dwarven Kingdom.

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:
Ps 2F is between capitals of Empire and Dwarf kingdom y?

The trade routes are between the 'new' dwarven capital of Myrgard and the old dwarven capital of Stoneheim. Here is the map for reference:

ubermap.jpg

Albrecht does not have the right to unilaterally confiscate the assets of the Eberhardts that are based in the Empire or which are bound up in international agreements. Doing so would make his relations with the Empire even more strained than they already are.

Most of those assets either went to members of (what was) House Eberhardt living in the Empire or to their allies there like the Brannons. Everything the King can offer you is domestic.

Nevill said:
I agree with taking over the security company, but do we even have people to manage it?

You would need to hire people eventually, in the short term you would have to manage it yourself. Mayer can help with the financial end and Berty would probably have no problem handling the military end. He might try to use it as a teaching tool for the girls.

Nevill said:
I'd like to take a loan from Goldsmiths and instruct Mayer to put it to good use. How much do people know about our involvement with him?

At the moment it is only well known in banking circles that you have met more than once with Mayer. Most of the bankers are dead though and those that remain tend to be cautious about spreading rumours. IT should not take too long though for word to get out about your alliance.

Jester said:
in C can we somehow use that magical spider thing to make it better?

Possibly, you would need to see the machinery and properly examine the spider. Meletē could probably help you with that if/when she is up and about again.

Current Tally:
Azira: 1.Biii, 2.EG, 3.C, 4.A (500WPs)

Smashing Axe: 1.Biii, 2.EF, 3.A>B, 4.C

asxetos: 1.Biii, 2.AE, 3.B, 4.C

Nevill: 1.Biii, 2.AE>EF, 3.C, 4.C

Kipeci: 1.Biii, 2.EF, 3.B, 4.C

Kz3r0: 1.Biii, 2.EF, 3.C, 4.C

archaen: 1.Biii, 2.EF>AE, 3.A>B, 4.BC

Grimgravy: 1.Biii, 2.BE>EF, 3.C, 4.C

Jester: 1.Biii, 2.FG>FE, 3.B, 4. A (500WPs) (only if FG wins)>B

GreyViper: 1.Biii, 2.EF, 3.A, 4.C

A)
i.
ii.
B)
i.
ii.
iii. 10 votes
C)

AE) 2 votes
BE) 1 vote
EF) 5 votes
EG) 1 vote
FE)
FG) 1 vote

A) 3 votes
B) 3 votes
C) 4 votes

A) 2 votes (500WPs, conditional on 1.G)
B)
C) 7 votes
BC) 1 vote

Post Flop:

A)
i.
ii.
B)
i.
ii.
iii. 10 votes
C)

AE) 1 vote
BE)
EF) 7 votes
EG) 1 vote
FE)
FG) 1vote

A) 1 vote
B) 5 votes
C) 4 votes

A) 2 votes (500WPs, conditional on 1.G)
B)
C) 7 votes
BC) 1 vote

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
You would need to hire people eventually, in the short term you would have to manage it yourself. Mayer can help with the financial end and Berty would probably have no problem handling the military end. He might try to use it as a teaching tool for the girls..
Yeah, that's what I am angling for. I'd like them to try their hand at running the company eventually. :)

Fangshi

Arcane
The vote will close in fifteen to sixteen hours.

Your current leading options are:

1.Biii You will try to take Damh out drinking and win him over to get Eagle's help.

2.EF You will pick the security firm and the caravans.

3.B You will have Mayer undertake all fair actions to secure as much property as he can.

4.C You will take out the 1000WP loan at 20% monthy interest.

Nevill

Arcane
Hmmm...

We grab as many rewards as we can to take over the trading routes on the dwarwen territory and use state money to seize a chunk of the country while the owners are dead. The only thing that is keeping us one notch down from the top of the 'must eliminate' list is that we don't outright piss on the law while we screw the great houses over the property they wanted to get for their continued service to the King when we've been around the block for two weeks at most.

Sounds like something the Codex would do alright. :lol:

:avatard:

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
:keepmyjewgold: or the gas chambers!

At least we will have a security force we can use for distractions and can run from the dwarven lands in our getaway wagons if it goes down like you think. :lol:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
We can deal with anyone that wants to eliminate us, and once we have the properties, the desire to actually end us goes down significantly, simply because the act is done and our death doesn't necessarily mean the property goes back on the market, but to another. Our reputuation, Mayers', our position, and our commonality with the dwarven army is going to mean retailiation, if it happens, will be against us personally. You know, assassins in the shadows rather than a mass assault on the roads. Things that we can control easily as a high wisdom mage with keen eyes, high constitution, and a bunch of control spells.

That and 4C is a really bad idea with 3C as we're going to aim at the less optimal returns with a huge debt and interest rate.

I hate myself for asking, but GreyViper would you consider putting in a contingency to 3B since A isn't likely to win?

Nevill

Arcane
We can deal with anyone that wants to eliminate us, and once we have the properties, the desire to actually end us goes down significantly, simply because the act is done and our death doesn't necessarily mean the property goes back on the market, but to another.
The properties aren't really what is important here. The attention from the King and the power he allows us to wield is what would earn us the ire of the great houses. They served him for centuries, and we've arrived about a week ago, yet he gives us more boons than they ever received for their loyalty?

They are going to feel jealous, and they are going to feel threatened because they would feel like they are becoming unneeded, and those feelings are not going to go away with time. They are only going to get stronger until it boils down to either an assassination attempt, or an outright revolt.

You know, assassins in the shadows rather than a mass assault on the roads. Things that we can control easily as a high wisdom mage with keen eyes, high constitution, and a bunch of control spells.
Yeah, we've handled Melete's workshop really well. We had to hide for three days in the deepest bunker and walked right into the first ambush afterwards. If not for the King and his desire to bring the Eberhardts down, we would be dead ten times over.

Now, how likely is it that he will move against his own loyal houses?

That and 4C is a really bad idea with 3C as we're going to aim at the less optimal returns with a huge debt and interest rate.
I think I have outlined the math on the previous page. The pay-off is huge as well, simply because of how massive the loan is.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
We shpuld change our sticker from Like a Dorf to Like a Gnome.
What is the difference?

So far we've chosen to blow the stuff up whenever given the chance, so I find the sticker rather appropriate.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
We can deal with anyone that wants to eliminate us, and once we have the properties, the desire to actually end us goes down significantly, simply because the act is done and our death doesn't necessarily mean the property goes back on the market, but to another.
The properties aren't really what is important here. The attention from the King and the power he allows us to wield is what would earn us the ire of the great houses. They served him for centuries, and we've arrived about a week ago, yet he gives us more boons than they ever received for their loyalty?

They are going to feel jealous, and they are going to feel threatened because they would feel like they are becoming unneeded, and those two feelings are not going to go away with time. They are only going to get stronger until it boils down to either an assassination attempt, or an outright revolt.
I think you're doomsaying a bit too much here. Firstly, the rate of interest on this loan is ATROSCIOUS, I would never in my life feel jealous of anyone taking a loan with an effective annual interest rate of 791.61%. This hideous rate itself means we need to go for property with the most optimal return if we're to survive it.

As for the jealousy of the loyalist great houses, well we can work to mitigate that somewhat with Thais diplomacy. I don't think it will culminate to what you're speaking of, and what you are speaking of is a long-term problem anyway which we can help pacify with our own actions.

edit:
You know, assassins in the shadows rather than a mass assault on the roads. Things that we can control easily as a high wisdom mage with keen eyes, high constitution, and a bunch of control spells.
Yeah, we've handled Melete's workshop really well. We had to hide for three days in the deepest bunker and walked right into the first ambush afterwards. If not for the King and his desire to bring the Eberhardts down, we would be dead ten times over.

Now, how likely is it that he will move against his own loyal houses?
How likely is it that the loyalist houses act against the king's will?

Melete's workshop was a result of us walking into the trap of pretty much every damned mercenary in the country. It would require an open act on the part of the noble house responsible, and invite reprisal. Don't forget that we're going to have the largest security company in the dwarven kingdom under our thumb.
I think I have outlined the math on the previous page. The pay-off is huge as well, simply because of how massive the loan is.

The pay-off is affected by how willing we are to go for high-return properties. I'm fairly certain that C is going to reduce that significantly.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
What is the difference?

About a half dozen half-ogre bodyguards for starters.

Smashing Axe said:
As for the jealousy of the loyalist great houses, well we can work to mitigate that somewhat with Thais diplomacy. I don't think it will culminate to what you're speaking of, and what you are speaking of is a long-term problem anyway which we can help pacify with our own actions.

Sure, should you be so inclined you can try to integrate into the dwarven upper class. Demonstrate that you are one of them and not trying to 'rock the boat'. There are definite possibilities there and not all of the loyalist houses like each other or believe in the same things.

It would probably involve hosting a few dinner parties and proper balls though.

But hey it would give you a chance to go dancing with Thaïs under the stars should you so desire. :oops:

At any rate we can get into the social stuff if you manage to pull this off without getting killed or burning down the city (again) or having to fleeing the country as fugitives.

Not that any of that could happen. :troll:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I think you're doomsaying a bit too much here. Firstly, the rate of interest on this loan is ATROSCIOUS, I would never in my life feel jealous of anyone taking a loan with an effective annual interest rate of 791.61%. This hideous rate itself means we need to go for property with the most optimal return if we're to survive it.
They do not deal in the annual interest rates. They also do not deal with annual incomes. The system is built around monthly values, and should be treated as such.

I am merely citing what was said earlier. The loan will be seen as a favoritism, and considering the things we use it for, even more so.

The profits are atrocious as well, and as long as they pay for the interest rares (as I have shown they would), we are coming out as a power rivaling the great houses. Only, you know, without an army and the support to actually hold onto it.

As for the jealousy of the loyalist great houses, well we can work to mitigate that somewhat with Thais diplomacy.
Yeah, diplomacy worked so well with the Eberhardts.

Look, Blue Creatures Spider Goddess Necromancer Oneiroi diplomacy is not going to help you when you are slowly pulling the rug from under the other people's feet. The actions speak louder than the words ever could. Sweet talking them while you grow more powerful with every passing day in not going to work on anyone with half a brain.

Edit:
Oh, very likely if they think he wants to get rid of them and usurp the right to rule the kingdom alone without their consent.

Do you not read the quotes?
[...] it would be clear to everyone with eyes to see it that he is trying to use you to seize absolute control of the kingdom. It would completely alienate the remaining houses (most of which are great houses) and could push things towards a civil war if the remaining nobles feel threatened enough by the advantage he would give you.

The pay-off is affected by how willing we are to go for high-return properties. I'm fairly certain that C is going to reduce that significantly.
We were told that the estimate is from 20% to 30%. It is acceptable, considering that we have gained other sources of income. Even at 15% (that is, under the interests rate) we would be done with the loan in a year and a half despite the outrageous percentages. Maybe even sooner, considering the other avenues for profits.

The only thing the higher profits do is let us get filthy rich faster, at a cost of endangering our well-being. Nothing changes the fact that we will become filthy rich in a year. All you get out of it is that you achieve it sooner.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
You're really mischaracterising how this will go down. We are simply going to compete for some of the properties with the Great Houses, we're not denying them everything, and they have their own cash reserves to fall back upon. They may not like competition, sure, but it's not this diplomatic catastrophe you're portraying it as. There will be some houses amenable to alliances, and other houses who dislike us. That's just how it is. Hell, we might even be able to get some of the weaker houses to follow us under a banner in exchange for financial benefits. The more we have to trade from this acquisition, the more influence we can put to these dwarves. It's perfectly reasonable for us to go for what we can get during this period of turmoil. Don't forget, we're a national hero right now. We can get away with a lot.

Also we have the army and support to hold it. What are you talking about? Most of what we're acquiring is that army, and we're on good terms with the king's own army. That's plenty of army. As for support, well, Mayer has a number of connections in this country we can utilise.

As for diplomacy with the Eberhardts, well, for one, we never tried it. Nor was it necesssary. And look where facing them off got us.

As for our profits, that's an estimate, you don't know what return we're going to get, especially because we're not going for what will net us the best return because we're scared of stepping on a few toes.

Nevill

Arcane
You're really mischaracterising how this will go down. We are simply going to compete for some of the properties with the Great Houses, we're not denying them everything, and they have their own cash reserves to fall back upon.
I like the 'we're not denying them everything' part.

Yeah, that would be A, and it would be the ultimate 'fuck-off' choice. As it is, we are just grabbing favors that we honestly don't have a right to, not in the eyes of the other houses. They don't know about the maul, they have no idea what we actually did for the King, and it looks like he is using us to remove the noble houses he does not like.

Naturally, no one will feel endangered by our rise to prominence. :roll:

As for diplomacy with the Eberhardts, well, for one, we never tried it. Nor was it necesssary. And look where facing them off got us.
Yeah, because it was never an option. Why would they talk to us when they can crush us?

Fotrunately, the King have backed us in that case.

Want to test your luck some more?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Oh, very likely if they think wants to get rid of them and usurp the right to rule the kingdom alone without their consent.

Do you not read the quotes?
[...] it would be clear to everyone with eyes to see it that he is trying to use you to seize absolute control of the kingdom. It would completely alienate the remaining houses (most of which are great houses) and could push things towards a civil war if the remaining nobles feel threatened enough by the advantage he would give you.
Oh man, we're not attempting to seize control of the entire kingdom, nor are we a threat to the king. That's a complete mischaracterisation of what's going to happen. We're certainly going to be very powerful, but at worst only on a level of the Eberhardts before they started moving against the throne (and they needed a lot of allies to do that), which we just aren't going to do. You're being overly concerned about making a few enemies. It's worth the price, and we can, despite your denial, mitigate the effect with some effort at diplomacy. We've handled far worse than the ire of some of these people. I honestly don't get why you're so afraid.

You're really mischaracterising how this will go down. We are simply going to compete for some of the properties with the Great Houses, we're not denying them everything, and they have their own cash reserves to fall back upon.
I like the 'we're not denying them everything' part.

Yeah, that would be A, and it would be the ultimate 'fuck-off' choice. As it is, we are just grabbing favors that we honestly don't have a right to, not in the eyes of the other houses. They don't know about the maul, they have no idea what we actually did for the King, and it looks like he is using us to remove the noble houses he does not like.

Naturally, no one will feel endangered by our rise to pronminence. :roll:
If they don't already feel endangered at the huge noble cull already, then they're either sure of their position, which won't change with us being handed a big reward, or they're true loyalists to the throne. Either case, not much will change comparative to what already has occurred. And again, diplomacy can solve a lot of these issues if they even arise in the first place.

Yeah, because it was never an option. Why would they talk to us when they can crush us?

Fotrunately, the King have backed us in that case.

Want to test your luck some more?
Yes? The Eberhardts wouldn't listen to us because as far as they were aware we had nothing worth trading, we had no power or influence they could use.

What does grabbing for power here mean? Surprise, we have influence, wealth and power worth trading. Perhaps we're worth listening to? Perhaps we're worth negotiating with? Perhaps attempting to stamp us out will cost them more than they gain? Hm...

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Oh man, we're not attempting to seize control of the entire kingdom, nor are we a threat to the king. That's a complete mischaracterisation of what's going to happen. We're certainly going to be very powerful, but only on a level of the Eberhardts before they started moving against the throne, which we just aren't going to do. You're being overly concerned about making a few enemies. It's worth the price, and we can, despite your denial, mitigate the effect with some effort at diplomacy. We've handled far worse than the ire of some of these people. I honestly don't get why you're so afraid.
That's not what we are going to do.

But did you ever consider it from the perspective of the other noble houses?

Two adventurers come by the city, and the next thing you know, 20 houses fall, while their assets are given to the adventurers ahead of the other houses. They get money from the King and start actively entrenching themselves in. They take control over trade routes and a private army - all with the King's silent approval.

They are going to think that the King uses us to seize control, yes. What else does it look like when two nobodies get ahold of that much power overnight? They are obvious fakes and puppets in the hands of the King.

If they don't already feel endangered at the huge noble cull already, then they're either sure of their position, which won't change with us being handed a big reward, or they're true loyalists to the throne. Either case, not much will change comparative to what already has occurred. And again, diplomacy can solve a lot of these issues.
And what if they do feel endangered, just not enough to risk raising a voice, considering the Eberhardt's fate?

If we push them further, they might explode.

What does grabbing for power here mean? Surprise, we have influence, wealth and power worth trading. Perhaps we're worth listening to? Perhaps we're worth negotiating with? Perhaps attempting to stamp us out will cost them more than they gain? Hm...
Perhaps. Or perhaps they will treat us as a Spider Goddess that is not worth talking to no matter how much power she wields. Or perhaps they would want to take it to the King and demand answers why is he allowing the outsiders to have so much influence over the matters of the kingdom, making him choose between us and his supportes. Or a thousand of others 'perhaps'.

You are pissing off a lot of powerful people without a good reason. As far as I am concerned, at least, for I do not view greed as such.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Oh man, we're not attempting to seize control of the entire kingdom, nor are we a threat to the king. That's a complete mischaracterisation of what's going to happen. We're certainly going to be very powerful, but only on a level of the Eberhardts before they started moving against the throne, which we just aren't going to do. You're being overly concerned about making a few enemies. It's worth the price, and we can, despite your denial, mitigate the effect with some effort at diplomacy. We've handled far worse than the ire of some of these people. I honestly don't get why you're so afraid.
That's not what we are going to do.

But did you ever consider it from the perspective of the other noble houses?

Two adventurers come by the city, and the next thing you know, 20 houses fall, while their assets are given to the adventurers ahead of the other houses. They get money from the King and start actively entrenching themselves in. They take control over trade routes and a private army - all with the King's silent approval.

They are going to think that the King uses us to seize control, yes. What else does it look like when two nobodies get ahold of that much power overnight? They are obvious fakes and puppets in the hands of the King.

Hm, sounds like a problem of miscommunication. I wonder what talking with them might accomplish?
If they don't already feel endangered at the huge noble cull already, then they're either sure of their position, which won't change with us being handed a big reward, or they're true loyalists to the throne. Either case, not much will change comparative to what already has occurred. And again, diplomacy can solve a lot of these issues.
And what if they do feel endangered, just not enough to risk raising a voice, considering the Eberhardt's fate?

If we push them further, they might explode.
They won't act, not with what they've all witnessed. The cost of acting outweighs the benefit of staying silent. It's not like we've shown any designs to end them, we're just competing with them for assets. Jesus. It's not like the CEO of Apple thinks Microsoft plans to send assassins over to his place to end him just because they took some of Microsoft's market share. Yeah we're human, but we're the only human effectively ennobled in the kingdom. The dwarves won't perceive it as losing ground to the exception. If there were more of us doing this, then yes. But there aren't.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, let's just say I do not share your optimism and I do not view our actions as safe.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Well, let's just say I do not share your optimism and I do not view are actions as safe.
Okay. I think 3C is far too passive and impractical given the interest we are paying and the necessary size of our investments. Furthermore I think any problems that arise can be mitigated with effort.

And no action is safe. Trying to heal the disfigured girl, for instance.

Nevill

Arcane
And no action is safe. Trying to heal the disfigured girl, for instance.
Sure. As I said, I need good reasons to willingly endanger ourselves.

Or a touch of stupidity, that works for me sometimes, too. :lol:

P.S. Also, I want to add that you are setting yourself on the path of Lesbomancy, as I will do everything in my power that will help us mitigate the effects of our ruthless actions, and it will come to this eventually:
It would probably involve hosting a few dinner parties and proper balls though.
But hey it would give you a chance to go dancing with Thaïs under the stars should you so desire. :oops:
:salute:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom