Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Party/Organizational Changes:

Party Changes:

Show Spoiler
    Derryth:

Gained the Following Item:

1. Single Invitation to the Silver Flame

Thaïs:

Gained the Following Item:

1. Single Invitation to the Silver Flame

Organizational Changes:

Show Spoiler
    Gained the following Loans:

1. Took on a 1000 WP loan at 20% interest.

Net Wealth changed:

1. -427 WPs

Faction Added:

1. The Silver Flame: neutral (+10)

Note: Though you have now officially gained Blackrock Securities and your Caravan Contracts they will not appear on the organization sheet until you have had a chance to actually take full control over them. Probably in an update or two.

Rolls:

Show Spoiler
    A fair number actually. This was treated as a social encounter. The mages were attempting to extract consent from Damh before he succeeded in drinking himself or either of them under the table. They did reasonably well though Derryth did not make many checks. You got lucky on a couple rerolls and Thaïs did quite well as should be expected. She even did a little too well at the end there. She essentially carried you through the update.

The music/performing checks near the end to escape from Damh were handled a bit differently. They were not straight CHA checks but rather were a sort of knowledge check that drew on multiple stats and skills. Thaïs naturally did quite well given her high CHA, she was essentially able to force her desired outcome on the tavern. Derryth took a different approach and used her previous experience and WIS to craft a performance that would go with the patrons' desires. She found the path of least resistance and succeeded at following it.

My hope is that this stands as an example of the multiple ways characters can achieve similar outcomes without being identical.

Aside from the social checks everyone involved were making drinking checks, if you had completely failed at them something suitably wild would have occurred but the ladies did well there. IF you did not have the drinking skills your odds would have been much lower though.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :bravo:

We need more songs in these LPs.

One does not simply walk into the Silver Flame. :lol:

How come? Didn't we use the artefact specifically to avoid just that, so that the mages could not give us false or deficient instructions? The Book of the Past writes the truth regardless of the will of the subject, does it not?

Still, all is well that ends well. I guess there is no need to wake Melete up or risk making her presence known until the embassy closes up.

Therefore, A.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    ^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The mages tried to outsmart you. They gave you the correct spell and it would work as intended but the part of the spell that would raise you back out of your state of slumber had been modified to delay its duration by 3000%.

Now that information was present in the book but it took checking the description of the spell very carefully to find it. Derryth and co could have found it on their own (you would have received a few checks of your own to detect it) but the fellows were guaranteed to find it.

In effect the Oneiroi tried to hit you with a nice bit of 'fine print' but your 'legal' team caught them.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Show Spoiler
    I noticed one failed check at the beginning of the update when we invited Damh (seriously, Derryth? :roll:), but what were the others (or rather, how did they manifest)? I would assume we failed one when we proposed an 'accident' theory as well?

Also, I am impressed we did not have to resort to mind manipulation to carry us through.

Show Spoiler
    How wild are we talking about? Just out of morbid curiosity, what can a drunken mentalist do?

But when did we even ask the mages how it worked?

I thought the subject can't 'modify' the content that the book gives. In essense, I am asking how did the fine print even make it there?

I just want to understand what we should watch out for if we continue to use the book in the future.

^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    See guys? Learning professional drinking was a very wise choice indeed. :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I can't take credit for writing them though, only stealing them like I do most things. If you want to know what they vaguely sound like, Thaïs was singing the Song of Seikilos/Seikilos Epitaph (one of, if not the oldest complete song we have from antiquity if I remember right) while Derryth was singing one of the hundreds of versions of John Barleycorn (a fairly old English folk song from I think the sixteenth century, the link has different lyrics). Also the update is named after the Pogues song Streams of Whiskey (caution: almost naked Shane MacGowan ;)).

Show Spoiler
    Pretty much any time Derryth opened her mouth she made things worse. The only thing she really did right was to turn the mood around in the bar. Some checks she failed badly, the first one for example while others she only barely failed so they are a bit milder.

Just because Derryth can blast someone does not mean she always will unless you explicitly tell her to. She felt sorry for Damh and was fairly confident she could do without thank to her friend.

Show Spoiler
    You could do a lot of damage to a person's mind if you decided to though that may not be wise to do inside the Silver Flame. There is a reason that no one fights in that tavern.

But if things went poorly you would probably have tried.

No what I meant was you might wake up in Damh's loving arms if you failed too many tests. I mean Derryth could do worse but still...

If everyone had failed then I would have just skipped the bar scene and you would wake up in bed the next morning with Damh on one arm and Thaïs on the other. It would make for an awkward morning. Especially since he is married and his wife would be going room by room looking for him. You do not want to meet his wife like that. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Also on the topic of the Inn's name:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    "A comatose state to unravel a number of complex spells", now where have I heard that one?..

It will NOT dump us back into the Dreaming, right? Right?

^ Top  
  9. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Hey, we're on good terms with the Dreaming, what could go wrong? :roll:

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    That depends on whether or not you want to become a part of Demon Jing's harem:
    Me, I prefer lesbomancy over tentacles.

Are there any old and ugly dwarven mages available for hire?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Also, I also feel it's wiser to go ahead on the heal spell rather than the wake-her-up ritual. Melete asleep is safer than Melete awake.. :M

A

^ Top  
  12. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    It sounds like we're pushing it with the large loan we took, at least we told Mayer to be somewhat aggressive however. I think we just need to make sure we don't pass out for a long period of time and we should be relatively safe. Here's hoping anyway.

A

^ Top  
  13. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    BAndwagon. It may be worth it to gate back to our tower and grab 500WP of our money to get out of that loan faster.

^ Top  
  14. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The book records the life of the individual in question but is likely to only give the broad strokes, it does this by looking into the 'soul' of the individual in question. Now you can not lie to the book and if a false memory is placed in the target the book will know that it is false. However the book will also make note of the importance that the subject places on different pieces of information. That is how it functions as a useful tool.

For example it will not record every meal they ever eat unless it is told to. What it will record is a particularly important meal. It determines what is important through two forms of input, the criteria the operator gives it and the importance that the subject places upon the events in their own lives. If a subject focuses really hard on a particular piece of information at the expense of other similar pieces of information then it will reflect that back to a degree. In this case the mages placed emphasis on a spell that could do exactly what you required but that has an absurdly long casting time as a means to get back at you (yes mages are that paranoid that they create and teach 'trap' spells). The fellows noticed this and instead cobbled together a solution from other spells in the records that can do the same thing.

To draw a broken and awkward analogy. You have a room and this room is your target's mind, every memory is an item in that room. When you use the book you take a picture of the room. Nothing is allowed to be hidden. So you will see everything in the picture as it is in the room but the angle of the shot and the importance given to particular items is in part determined by the mind you are scanning.

You will get the truth but it is not completely foolproof.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    You should be fine, probably.

Now Nevill, you should know that the Harem King's Demon's love is all encompassing. He will take even the ugly ones for it is his place to love all. ;)

Actually he is in part based on Rāvaṇa as portrayed in the Ramayana so that might tell you something about the size of his harem.

I will have to look up the exact numbers I gave earlier but I am fairly certain that I said you need more than three mages to open a stable Gate back to Muirthemne. Though I suppose you could try to borrow a few mages from Albrecht.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Hmm
    D) Derryth concentrate on healing ritual with Eagle (i expect Wisdom is most important check here). Thais casts second one, backed by Lyssa and Academy mages as lifeline (i expect Mazzarin accessories should help here and mby give Lyssa second bracelet).

^ Top  
  17. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I think that splitting up our mages when we are casting unfamiliar rituals where we can die, and one group doesn't have a reroll, is folly.

I will ask Fangshi, do we need to do anything to keep Melete from being harmed in her coma? Are we spooning apple sauce into her mouth and making sure she doesn't get bed sores or does the spell have a protective component? If she is going to possibly come to harm, we might need to switch en masse to get her up instead.

^ Top  
  18. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A

If something happens in the meanwhile and Mel is a lost cause, we know where to coldly send her body for personal gain.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    If we ever do wake our intrepid inventor up we are going to have to set her up a mile away from anything flammable in a structure with 5 foot thick stone walls backed with lead. That is of course if she even comprehends what we did to save her and doesn't just want to leave to work on her next project of trying to reach the nearest celestial body with a cannon or whatever outlandish project she comes up with.

We will also need a team of non idiot savants to take her inventions and add practicality and safety features before allowing any human beta testing. Too bad Lyssa can't make something like DnD bloody skeletons that can put themselves back together after being turned into a fine mist by a weapon malfunction.

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yeah, I've asked about what our perspectives with Melete will look like.
    It appears we'll have to set up a secret bunker to keep her in, supply her with sacrifices ingredients for her mad experiments, and wait until the awesome happens. Kind of like the Spinner, except bigger in scope and less predictable.

^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Added. Though the fellows of the Academy will not actually help to cast the ritual. They do not really care what happens to the inventor and the spell is dangerous. They won't risk themselves for her.

Well splitting up would increase the difficulty of both spells by a couple orders of magnitude. It might be doable though.

All the minor details are being dealt with by Alric's people. He keeps a single deaf, dumb and blind mute for this exact sort of thing. Which is my way of saying I won't have her starve to death on you for example.

As for keeping her from harm that is hard to say, she does still have a bounty on her head from one of the largest, wealthiest and most powerful clans in the empire. As long as no one knows where she is though she should remain relatively safe. That is provided you stay on Albrecht's good side and he is not given a good reason to turn her over...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Just out of curiosity, what are we doing to improve on the ritual, and is there anything we can do to increase our chances of casting it together? If it concerns magic theory, perhaps the academy fellows might have an insight into that, even though they are not proficient in that particular school. Or does Eagle object to making the details of the ritual known?

If we get on Albrecht's bad side, I am afraid Melete will be the least of our concerns. :lol:

What is the meaning of closing the Empire's embassy, though? How much of a hit did the relations between the kingdoms take? I imagined it would be bad, what with the most influental family in the Empire supporting the house bent on overthrowing Albrecht, but I didn't think it will come to this.

...I kind of regret missing on the rumors about the 'mages from the North'. We might want to ask Eagle about what does the 'other side' know about us.

^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    You will utilize his familiarity with the field of restorative magic to try and complete your knowledge of the spell. If you succeed it should make the ritual safer, yo will be less likely to permanently drain yourself or otherwise harm yourself while casting it. You may even be able to take some of his tips and use them to fashion new spells but that will depend entirely on whether or not your succeed.

There is not really anything you can do at the last minute to increase your odds of finishing before the two days are up.

You could consult the Academy as well but it would serve to delay things rather than speed them up. It would take two days for the research team necessary to be formed and brought to speed for the task. By that point Eagle would already be gone. If you want to perform neither ritual in the next two days that is also an option, it would let you work with Eagle and then take your findings to the fellows but you can only put off your business obligations for so long before they begin to suffer and you likely will not have much time to perform rituals for a few weeks to a month while you get everything in order.

The impression you get is that they took a fairly large hit. You do not know how strained relations have become though as no one seems willing to really discuss it. Damh was quite drunk when he let that information slip, if he had been sober it is doubtful you would have learnt even the little that you did.

Sure, it costs you nothing to visit the man and ask a few questions while Damh is not around. You ask him about how the imperials see you and he laughs.

Damh has been spreading a lot of rather vicious rumours about you it seems. That you consort with demons, that you speak to Dark Gods, that you have broken imperial law and are actually fugitives from the north, not heroes. That sort of thing. So far such rumours are confined to human circles as the general dwarven population still sees you as heroes.

Damh's slander and the King's own exaggerations of your abilities and achievements have come together to paint you as a pair of beautiful and terrible mercenaries from the depths of the empire. Well versed in arts both dark and disturbing and certainly not to be trifled with.

You are also portrayed as about seven feet tall with eyes of steel and tongues of flame but that is mostly drunken gossip, no one actually believes that... well almost no one...

So the 'other side' still seems to know next to nothing about you. They do not know where you came from, who your allies are (besides the obvious) or what your agenda is. They only know that in the course of two weeks you broke an army that outnumber you 'one hundred to one' and then proceeded to destroy the Eberhardts and their allies in one of the largest political upsets of recent memory. They know you are their enemies and that is about it for now.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Check.
    Check.
    Check.

Damn it, he is onto us! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Excellent. We need more shady people in our circle.

Our organisatiuon shall be formed out of the outcasts from the every cormer of the world. Are there any minor kingdoms left free for the taking on the continent? We might want to start our own Empire once we get big enough.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.