Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    In E we're trying to take her down with mental spells Nevill. Everything else is just a shitload of failsafes so that we're still okay if we fuck it up.

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I was semi-fine with it until we had Uttu target the sack on top of everything else. How do you even coordinate that if you have mere seconds to work with? :lol:

After you stack a certain amount of failsafes on top of each other, they negate the 'safe' part.

Would be funny to be hit by an arrow as some of us fly right into the sack. :D

^ Top  
  3. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    "Mental. Strong Wind if thrown. Uttu, shoot thrown sack"

That's all she needs to say.

^ Top  
  4. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Is that a flop if we get rid of Uttu firing the arrow?

^ Top  
  5. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Probably not.

^ Top  
  6. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Flopping to E. Seems like it can work.

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nah, I still think we are risking everything for no good reason.

No failsafes come free, and each of the options have its drawbacks. It's just the current choice feels like this:

So many failsafes, indeed. If they won't work, surely is would be the fault of the dice. :lol:

With Uttu, we are already looking at a difficult check. She is going to fire her arrow before Lyssa finishes her casting. If she misses and hits Lyssa, the casting is interrupted and we eat the sack. If she hits one of us, we loosen the grip on the doorway.

Not like any of that could happen, right? :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    :lol: Nevill does not like failsafes.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nah, I love them. It's just some of them have more 'fail' than 'safe' in them.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'm not very involved with the DISCUSS! or the voting in this thread, but A seems like the smarter choice. Not sacrificing our party for jewgoldz.

^ Top  
  11. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    I don't know man. For someone who likes failsafes, you seem awfully afraid of them.

This is just bullshit. You make it sound like D would somehow be a safer option than E.

^ Top  
  12. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Their are not failsafe, they are dumb trying hoping for the best, an increased number of rolls doesn't grant success, looks more like hitting the wall with your head hoping that it nreacks before you do.

^ Top  
  13. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Flop E.
    Scene will look like a circus and i like clowns.

^ Top  
  14. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Looks like we have a tie with all the regulars' votes in. I don't see anyone flopping either. I guess Fangshi gets a weeks vacation =).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    E does seem to have more potential then others.

^ Top  
  16. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    So, you are suggesting that D is somehow safer than E, because at least D has no backup plan to make sure everyone is alright. The reason that makes D better somehow is because these backup plans have a chance of failure.

That... made zero sense.

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Anyone who thinks that running two failsafes simultaneously with Uttu shooting from behind your back when your plan hinges on casting a wind spell and the other members resisting its effects is deluding themselves. Uttu can atually make things worse if she misses, and it defeats the purpose of a failsafe to make the situation more dangerous.

The dichotomy between D and E is non-existent, because no one is actually comparing them.

The good thing is that it might work on a lucky day. If it does, I'll be happy. If it doesn't, I'll get to gloat. A win-win if there ever was one.

^ Top  
  18. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    No, plan hinges on mental assault succeeding. Failing that, Uttu fires at the bag and Lyssa releases the Strong Wind. The odds of Uttu hitting someone in the back with her skill at the bow are minimal and even if that happens, the odds of that doing real damage when we have rings charged with heal spells are also minimal. On the other hand, if the bag is explosives, the frost arrow would render it inert. Fangshi, also, if it's wight bits, wouldn't it at least freeze the juices and condense some of the gas into liquid?

The comparison between D and E is useful because your "failsafes bad" arguments act like we're somehow increasing the danger with these failsafes, when in truth it's more like the opposite.

^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The odds strike again. :lol: What are the odds, by the way? Can I get a look at the mechanics? How do we evaluate them, I wonder?

The shot is said to be difficult. That already means the probability of success is lower than that of a failure.

What kind of explosive drips liquid? :D It was mentioned that wight pieces explode on impact, so the frost arrow will trigger the explosion just the same - if that's what is inside it.

An arrow might kill people instantly on a bad roll, and it's not like we can heal freely if we are clinging to the doorway. The 'real damage' comes from Lyssa not being able to cast the spell if the arrow hits her - which also means a TPK, - or a member of our party that will be hit by the arrow releasing his grip on the doorway and flying right into the explosion/whatever it is inside the sack. Try to heal that 'minimal damage'. :lol:

The whole plan is mind-boggingly ridiculous. Kz3r0 is right in that multiple 'failsafes' only increase the number of rolls that can fuck you over, especially if they crash into each other.

My argument is that failsafes are good. It's just those things listed in the choice are not them.

^ Top  
  20. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    ^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes, that's the question I asked myself.

So, what are the odds, again? How good are they? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:

^ Top  
  22. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    D>A

Missed most of discuss, but that seems reasonable.

^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Possibly but in that case the shards of frozen liquid and the liquefied gases would still be quite dangerous if they hit you. The shards could embed themselves in the flesh and the liquids would 'burn' anything they come in contact with by virtue of being so cold. Now most of that would get blown right back in the ghôl's face so she would have to worry the most but if you get thrown into her it might also be a concern for your party members. Either way if it is wight bits in that sack the ghôl is going to have a rough time of things should it wind up headed in her direction.

Current Tally:

Kz3r0: A
    Nevill: A
    archaen: E
    Jester: E
    asxetos: E
    Azira: A
    Absinthe: E
    Zero Credibility: A
    Smashing Axe: E
    Baltika9: A
    GreyViper: E
    Grimgravy: D>A
    Kipeci: E

A) 5 votes
    B)
    C)
    D) 1 vote
    E) 7 votes

Post flop:

A) 6 votes
    B)
    C)
    D)
    E) 7 votes

So we have a tie. I am willing to give it a bit more time, say 24hrs or so.

Alright, the tie is broken (guess I don't get that extra day off after all). E wins you will do that. Update should be out within fifteen hours or so.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    TiEbreaker, if only to see how horribly this mess of add-ons fails us. It won't be as good as Jing's love speech, but it already is pretty bad.

^ Top  
  25. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Good bye Derryth ó Foghladh :salute:, you will be missed, voting for continuing with Brigit.
    Show Spoiler
    Let's hope that the necklaces will save us somehow.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.