Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is a good plan.

At least you think so.
[...]
The combination of your three spells has given you a flying, electric, bronze Berty Levy.
Beautiful. A perfect finisher for a perfect plan. We must do this more often. :lol:

As this update was mostly just a battle and you did not use up any consumeables nothing much changed in your party and organization as a whole.
Wait, we are able to cast and maintain The Warrior's Mask at will without running through Energon Cubes? Did we finally master it?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Wait, we are able to cast and maintain The Warrior's Mask at will without running through Energon Cubes? Did we finally master it?

Every spell and skill essentially has an 'experience' or 'mastery' bar that fills up over time (and no you can not see them, that would really encourage the minmaxing ;) ). As the bar fills up it gets easier to cast the spell or use the skill so while you have not mastered the spell yet you do know the mental space you have to 'go to' to successfully cast it. It is still tricky and quite draining but you only had it up for maybe thirty to forty seconds. It drained you a fair bit but nothing like the battle where you had to maintain it from a longer distance for four or five times the duration.

I made a judgement call that you could get away with it without burning an Energon Cube since you had only really cast a single round of assault spells up to that point. Just don't try to do it when you are already spent or for a long time or over great distances without some sort of power supply.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Throwing dorfs midgets at the enemy is always a win, glad to see that my tactical genius has been recognized.:obviously:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So this gold. Was this part of the Blackrock holdings, or is this part of the funds that have been lent to us? How much does it amount to effectively?

I'm really, really tempted to vote B2 because I think Derryth is too much of a goody-goody pushover, but I'll leave off for now. Please tell me we will at least sell this ghol to some dwarves. She has cost us, this will be a good start to recouping our losses. We should also see if we can capture her tribe. That will teach them to come barging in where they're not welcome, the ingrates.

Intercepting the ghols is probably our best bet. It's mountainous terrain, right? Why would we think we could fit the chariots and wagons through? How many horses to each chariot? How many to the wagon?

Nevill

Arcane
Just don't try to do it when you are already spent or for a long time or over great distances without some sort of power supply.
Hm. How big does the spell make you? If you cast that on an eagle, would it still be able to fly? I assume it would, since the spell didn't affect Berty's aerodynamics in a significant way. :lol: Would it be able to transport you in its claws? Could you ride on its back?

For how long can we maintain the spell at point-blank without running through the consumables?

I'm really, really tempted to vote B2 because I think Derryth is too much of a goody-goody pushover, but I'll leave off for now. Please tell me we will at least sell this ghol to some dwarves.
She is an enemy. She is a female. She is a captive.

She is joining the harem. There is no other way to go about it. :rpgcodex:

So this gold. Was this part of the Blackrock holdings, or is this part of the funds that have been lent to us?
What would the money lent to us do in a fort we have visited for the first time in our lives?

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
Lets go for the watcher and bring along every non-dwarf. Bi.

Edit:
Also bring along Nanshe BUT before we meet the Watcher we should incapacitate her so that she wont be manipulated into helping him if things go south.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Lets go for the watcher and bring along every non-dwarf. Bi.
We can go for the Watcher after we get our gold back. I don't see why chasing after the ghols for our gold doesn't mean we cannot later pursue the Watcher into oblivion.

Nevill

Arcane
Do I sense the Watcher diplomacy in the air?

This LP is steadily heading in the lulzy direction.

asxetos

Augur
We can go for the Watcher after we get our gold back. I don't see why chasing after the ghols for our gold doesn't mean we cannot later pursue the Watcher into oblivion.

We are tracking the Ghols and will get their location anyway. By disposing of the Watcher, or atleast his influence on Nanshe and the other Amulet holders, we can use Ghol diplomacy to get our gold back.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron

Why?

Defeating a bunch of ghols with a relatively equal sized force is going to be orders of magnitude easier than defeating the Watcher.

These are ghols who messed with us. They deserve what they get.

I'd rather just leave the Watcher alone entirely. Maybe send him a note saying we want to stay far, far away from him. Let the Fallen Lords play their games with one another whilst we play ours.

asxetos

Augur
So you are going to send him a note that you will stay away from him and then proceed to attack his servants? does not compute.
Also he stated through Nanshe that he is interested in us and i seriously doubt he will give up just like that.
The ghols are natural enemies with the dwarves but it doesnt mean they like doing the Watcher's biding. If we succeed in liberating their leaders from his influence, we might actually have some positive consequences for once. Plus, he is the one behind the attack on Albrecht so we might gain some gratitude there too.

Nevill

Arcane
Are we talking about disposing of the second most powerful mage in the setting? The one who defeated Mazzarin? The one the Deceiver tried to kill for centuries without much success? With newbie mages who do not have a single hundred years of experience between the three of them?

Yeah, right. Faceless was the sixth on the tier list, and he was punching demons in the face without breaking a sweat. He also promised that he would kill everything and everyone but us - and then enslave us - if we go against him, and he was certainly capable of it.

Why not just PRAY to the Spider Goddess? It would be quicker to end the LP this way.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
Do not forget that the Watcher is cut in pieces (iirc) so we will be against those who are trying to bring him back and are granted powers by those pieces. Also i think Mazzarin's necklaces will be of help.

Nevill

Arcane
Yeah, no. Even if he is not yet restored (and we are talking about meeting somebody), the power he can channel far outweights everything we could muster with the three of us. Hell, a single stone linked to his conscience threatened to trap us. He is very similar to Mazzarin in that regard - and we were certain he would kill us if we as much as think about trying something funny when he was dead.
You are fairly certain you could 'kill' him at this exact moment if you wanted to. You are also certain that none of you would walk out of this room alive and that he almost certainly would not stay dead.

We stand no chance of defeating him. Yes, he won't get off our backs. Big deal. He would have to get in line, and the line only grows longer with each update. Honestly, his attention is flattering. It is not every day you get to be a thorn in the side of the most powerful beings in the known universe. And we are talking beings that surpass some of the Dark Gods in power here.

We are not bringing ourselves to him on a platter, though.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
Mazzarin was pretty vulnerable until we restored him. If we have a slim chance against the Watcher, now is the time. If he gets restored later we will be hopeless.
Still, i accept it is a big (probably stupid) risk but ghol extermination or leaving our gold behind seem pretty stupid too.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nope. Kill her and be done with it. She's the Watcher's pawn.

Though, could be amusing if we could find Mazzerin and have her swear fealty to him, have him replace the Watcher's necklace with one of his own... :troll:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Nope. Kill her and be done with it. She's the Watcher's pawn.

Though, could be amusing if we could find Mazzerin and have her swear fealty to him, have him replace the Watcher's necklace with one of his own... :troll:
Why kill her though? Female ghols are worth quite a bit to the dwarves. We could sell her off after mindblanking her (So she can't use magic) and make back some of the money she stole.

Edit: Please, please don't tell me that the make Derryth friends with every living creature under Wyrd's green earth agenda applies to ghols

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Why kill her though? Female ghols are worth quite a bit to the dwarves.
Nope. Not indulging in trading sentient species or forced breeding programs.

I admit, though, the idea of giving her to Mazzarin sound intriguing, but knowing how he treats his own allies, not to mention slaves, he'd kill her sooner rather than later, and it would ultimately be a waste of time and effort.

I'd leave her alive and think of a use for her, but her necklace sounds like trouble. It lets the others to keep track of her.

Killing her is probably our best bet.

Edit: Please, please don't tell me that the make Derryth friends with every living creature under Wyrd's green earth agenda applies to ghols
Why, yes. I have it on a good authority that there are shapeshifting spells in the setting, so ultimately we can turn everything under the stars into females for ultimate lesbomancy. This is a pretty big incentive to minimize losses to our future harem.

Seriously, though, if we are enemies it does not necessarily mean we have to torture them, sell them into slavery and rape their corpses. I hold Ceannard as a role model in that regard. He is a professional, and he respects us for not taking unnecessary actions against those who oppose us. Yesterday's enemy might turn into an ally tomorrow, given the right circumstances. I do not think the sentiment is wasted, even on ghols. Who knows what happens down the road? We certainly did not expect to wind up with a former necromancer as a crew member.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Name for skill. ENTER OF THUNDER COLOSSUS! (could be colossus fall from heaven.)

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Why kill her though? Female ghols are worth quite a bit to the dwarves.
Nope. Not indulging in trading sentient species or forced breeding programs.
Why not? Myth morality is not the same as modern morality, and the situation here is not exactly analoguous to any real world one. These are brutal monsters who regularly eat humans and dwarves. Plus, they serve the Dark, and we serve the Light!!! Therefore, whatever we do to them is completely moral and justified. Dwarves serve the Light and ghol slavery is their favourite pasttime, after all. There's no dwarf abolitionists for a reason, because when dealing with ghols the choice is either genocide or finding a humane way of dealing with them, integrating them into society at large (servitude). How is this any different from breeding or trading horses? Horses are, after all, sentient. I'm pretty sure we've bought and sold a horse before, that makes us complicit in the trading of sentient beings! Plus, as far as I'm aware, no horse has ever eaten a human.

Remember, the ghols stole our money, and we're claiming it back with required service. Hell, it's probably better than debtor's prison.

Really, we're more morally justified in enslaving the ghol than killing her. With servitude she has a chance of attaining peace and happiness, with death she has none. Why are you such a heartless monster Nevill?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Why not? Myth morality is not the same as modern morality, and the situation here is not exactly analoguous to any real world one. These are brutal monsters who regularly eat humans and dwarves.
But the dwarves are brutal monsters who enslave and eat them.

Honestly, I would rather not involve ourselves in their civil war too much.

Plus, they serve the Dark, and we serve the Light!!! Therefore, whatever we do to them is completely moral and justified.
Is that why we are trying our best not to show ourselves in front of the Imperial authorities and specifically Alric?

Let's be honest, we are not the shining beacons of the Light, even if you squint really hard. :lol:

How is this any different from breeding or trading horses? Horses are, after all, sentient.
Horses can't talk. That's pretty much all there is to it. Ghols and mauls and whatnot are sentient on the human level. The rest is sophistry.

Remember, the ghols stole our money, and we're claiming it back with required service.
I don't think someone stealing our money warrants selling them into slavery.

But, hey. It's not like we don't know where you stand on the matters of morality. So feel free to pitch the morally justified ways. :)

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Really, we're more morally justified in enslaving the ghol than killing her. With servitude she has a chance of attaining peace and happiness, with death she has none. Why are you such a heartless monster Nevill?
Wut? I'm sorry dude, that's just so fucked up. :lol:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Why not? Myth morality is not the same as modern morality, and the situation here is not exactly analoguous to any real world one. These are brutal monsters who regularly eat humans and dwarves.
But the dwarves are brutal monsters who enslave and eat them.

Honestly, I would rather not involve ourselves in their civil war too much.

Plus, they serve the Dark, and we serve the Light!!! Therefore, whatever we do to them is completely moral and justified.
Is that why we are trying our best not to show ourselves in front of the Imperial authorities and specifically Alric?

Let's be honest, we are not the shining beacons of Light, even if you squint really hard. :lol:

How is this any different from breeding or trading horses? Horses are, after all, sentient.
Horses can't talk. That's pretty much all there is to it. Ghols and mauls and whatnot are sentient on the human level. The rest is sophistry.

Remember, the ghols stole our money, and we're claiming it back with required service.
I don't think someone stealing our money warrants selling them into slavery.

But, hey. It's not like we don't know where you stand on the matters of morality. So feel free to pitch the morally justified ways. :)
You are of course, advocating ghol genocide, at least in this region. For the dwarves it really is a dichotomy between servitude or genocide and that isn't going to change. Is that the solution you wish to advocate? Murdering the ghol is a good first step, I suppose.

Far better to integrate the ghol into dwarf society and provide her with a valuable role contributing greatly to her people's continued survival in the hard years to come.

Nevill

Arcane
You are of course, advocating ghol genocide, at least in this region. For the dwarves it really is a dichotomy between servitude or genocide and that isn't going to change. Is that the solution you wish to advocate? Murdering the ghol is a good first step, I suppose.
I thought I mentioned that I intend to solve it all with lesbomancy by turning the ghols into beautiful naked ladies. And if the dwarves object to it, we will turn them, too.

But for now I am willing to not interfere in their war, doing what is necessary to protect us and our standing in the Kingdom (that is, repelling the attacks on dwarven lands), but going no further.

Far better to integrate the ghol into dwarf society and provide her with a valuable role contributing greatly to her people's continued survival in the hard years to come.
:lol:

Here is a hug.:hug: Don't worry, bro, Cthulhu LP is not too far away.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Hm. So what you're saying is that your criteria is based upon the ability to communicate effectively? Or are you very fond of vocal chords?

Since Derryth is a mentalist, I propose we perform an experiment to further define her morality. Perhaps she could try mentally communicating with a horse about its desires and wants. If it communicates this to us with its mind, then it must be sapient enough to fit under your criteria. That would make us complicit in the slavery of sapients, which would mean that we need some other criteria as a basis to define slavery. Or turn PETA.

How about a bet? If we're able to understand the horse's desires through mentalism (which is itself a form of communication), you agree that in order to act consistently with all our past actions of horse slavery, we treat the ghol under the same criteria as a horse. And sell it.

If we can't, if the horse is unable to think of what it wants and is a complete slave to lower urges, then I'll uh, think of a better argument.

Deal?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom