Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Baltika9

Arcane
Fangshi, beyond the killing and flaying, are the Fetch known for doing anything else to their victims? I obviously feel uneasy with leaving our expedition with this thing.
ALso, kinda sorry for not choosing the warrior right now, is there anything this guy didn't fight?

Jester

Arbiter
Edit.

1) a)

2)
a) Thaïs - it would nice to have someone with high int, we can trust somewhat
b) Gareth - battle expert but doubt he fought other world sorcerers or did he?
e) Brigit - explosive arrows suppporting

Can we ask Serpent to try heal our warrior, taking into consideration that we got some abomination here they should behave for now. Miosguinn sound like good choice for second party artillery.

3) a

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
beyond the killing and flaying, are the Fetch known for doing anything else to their victims? I obviously feel uneasy with leaving our expedition with this thing.

Not really, and if she is being truthful with you she would be unlikely to harm your party as she needs your help to get home. Now it could all be lies of course, and Derryth has trouble reading her since she is so inhuman. You do not think she is lying but who knows.

Derryth suspects that Eris may have been behind the crystal lighting up when it did, so in at least that instance she may have saved your life. Eris' won't confirm or deny her possible involvement though.

Baltika9 said:
Also, kinda sorry for not choosing the warrior right now, is there anything this guy didn't fight?

He saw service from the beginning of the war to the final fight with Soulblighter, so anything that the Dark used he has fought. He has not fought whatever was in the monster colony but that is all I will say on that for now.

Jester said:
They will have 3 hostages still and most of our supplies and we dont have anywhere to run. Would be nice if she would tell us what those two (Ithapi, Amena) can do so we can get best composition.

Sure, you can try negotiating. What will happen is I will roll to see if Thaïs can convince her to let you have one more person, if your girl wins you get the top four picks instead, if you lose nothing much happens but you will annoy Eris. However if you suspect she may try something it may be better to leave that one person behind.

Amena is her "apprentice", she can cast some basic lightning based spells but can not channel like Eris can.

Ithapi is pure muscle, he is not the fastest but he is very strong and tough.

Jester said:
for now how lower power? 70% of scroll power? 20%?

About 60% strength right after you learn it, it will go up if you practice it though.

Jester said:
battle expert but doubt he fought other world sorcerers or did he?

Gareth has not directly fought them as there is no better way to get killed than by charging a Fetch. When you ask why he responds with only two words, chain lightning...

He has commanded men against Fetch before, he recommends archers and ambushes...

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I find it very unlikely that Eris will take care of the shadows for us once she's home free. If we just hand the incantation over, she's just gonna move along. That being said, the incantation seems like the only bargaining chip available to us. So I say we need to go get it, but we need to be very clever about exchanging it.

1) a) but we don't hand it over until the shadows are gone. Also, we should devise some way we *can't* hand it over easily. Split the knowledge up with different people or "accidentally" leave something important behind, something like that.

2)
b) Gareth
e) Brigit
f) Miosguinn

It seems like this will be a traditional dungeon crawl, so I think Thais will be fairly useless. We should let Tyrvard rest up. I think Gareth and Brigit's skill sets will be very handy. I had a hard time picking the third between Serpent, Miosguinn, or the Apprentice. I went with Miosguinn because I think it will be a good idea to make friends with the Children, and he finally opened up a crack the previous night, so we should try to build on that.

3) c)

We already have some offensive magic, I'd rather hold onto a valuable resource until we need it.

Absinthe

Arcane
3A

We have a Create Fire spell that can add explosive effect to this firebolt spell, and Derryth is good at altering magic. I like the idea of tossing around fireballs and firebolt seems to be better than magic zap.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I find it very unlikely that Eris will take care of the shadows for us once she's home free. If we just hand the incantation over, she's just gonna move along. That being said, the incantation seems like the only bargaining chip available to us. So I say we need to go get it, but we need to be very clever about exchanging it.

1) a) but we don't hand it over until the shadows are gone. Also, we should devise some way we *can't* hand it over easily. Split the knowledge up with different people or "accidentally" leave something important behind, something like that.

2)
b) Gareth
e) Brigit
f) Miosguinn

It seems like this will be a traditional dungeon crawl, so I think Thais will be fairly useless. We should let Tyrvard rest up. I think Gareth and Brigit's skill sets will be very handy. I had a hard time picking the third between Serpent, Miosguinn, or the Apprentice. I went with Miosguinn because I think it will be a good idea to make friends with the Children, and he finally opened up a crack the previous night, so we should try to build on that.

3) c)

We already have some offensive magic, I'd rather hold onto a valuable resource until we need it.
This sounds good. We will also need to examine the incantation with Miosguinn to make sure it does what she claims it to do.

Edit: New voting choices
A (BCEF) B/C B

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
tuluse said:
Also, we should devise some way we *can't* hand it over easily. Split the knowledge up with different people or "accidentally" leave something important behind, something like that.

Just a point of clarification, this is not just a mission to fetch the scroll, she also needs you to cast the spell for her. She can't call up enough power from her dimension to actually activate a portal. She needs a circle of mages all casting the ritual to actually pull this off so there is definitely room to bargain. But by all means if you want to add more safeguards then we can do that.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Also, could we take the opportunity to go looting the library for other magic? Are we on a set time limit?

And which spell is stronger when applied to combat, energy bolt or fire bolt?

Fangshi

Arcane
Smashing Axe said:
Also, could we take the opportunity to go looting the library for other magic? Are we on a set time limit?

Sure if you want to take the time, there is no time limit. If you want to quickly loot the library you should take characters that can read and can easily identify spellbooks and the like. Also members of your Circle are less likely to try and horde anything they find. A couple cautions though, the longer you take the more annoyed Eris will be, you only have so much food with you in your packs, and the longer you are looting the more likely something is to find you.

Smashing Axe said:
And which spell is stronger when applied to combat, energy bolt or fire bolt?

Depends on the situation, energy bolt is an electrical bolt of energy while firebolt is well a bolt of fire. The type of enemy you are fighting, the location, their magical/mundane defences, all of these things come into play. Don't think of them as stronger or weaker than each other think of them as different tools, a Phillips vs a Robertson screwdriver for example.

Edit:
And that is without getting into the things Derryth or the Cricle may come up with to modify spells. The more you know the more you have to work with, but the scroll may also provide an out if you are really in trouble.

Also the Circle needs a name so start thinking of a cool one people.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"That was a Mahir, a Shadow, the tortured soul of a long dead person. We fought a few in the war," Gareth explains as he catches his breath, "It was probably the Mahir that you all felt at the barrier, straining in the darkness, afraid to come into the light. If one of them gets a hold of you then you will be completely paralyzed. To get through this we will have to work together, stay in the light and always work in groups of two or higher."
A mahir! I knew it! With our numbers, we'll be alright.

Forty minutes later, two more shadows come sweeping out of the darkness. This time your group is ready and Brigit drops one with exploding arrows before it can close. The second reaches her but Gareth quickly frees her.
Yup. No problem. We'll be fine.

Another hour, another group of shades, four this time.
Maybe...

The sound of shadows swirling...

Behind you...

In front of you...

To all sides...

There must be hundreds of them...
:rage::rage::rage:

And to pass the time your little impromptu Circle practices magic. It may seem ridiculous but you can not do anything about the shadows and if you keep thinking about it you will go insane.
No, think! Think harder! Why isn't there a choice to dwell on these things?

A pity about those Energon Cubes and Mandrake Roots, but overall, not too shabby for a first encounter.

I fully suspect that the incantation requires human sacrifices. Maybe someone can spy on the Fetch? Uh, forget I said anything.

We'll probably have to go along with the plan for now and try to swing the negotiations in our favor later. One thing I am certain of - if that incantation is a scroll, the fetch would be less willing to practice Chain Lightning on us if we hold it.

Ok, I'm going with:

1 A - ok, let's try this for now, but we should definitely be wary of possible treachery. In B even if negotiation is successful we still have to deal with the shadows, and two of our men did say that the answer to that problem is here. C sounds very dangerous - we would have to take on her, her followers and still have the shadows to worry about.

2 B, E, F
- a fighter, thief and a mage, a balanced party. Fighter for his combat experience, thief for the traps and the mage because he is the best spellcaster and might know what we are getting our self into in that library (also, he might want to go there anyway). Wonder why she can't just get what she needs herself of send some of her minions - maybe a good use of out negotiator would be to find out exactly what we would be facing there. After all, that would increase our chances of succeeding, and she does want that, doesn't she?

3 A - I can't help but feel that just using it once is a waste of a spell, even if we could cast it much better that way. I blame D&D for that.

Fangshi

Arcane
Certainly, if you want to ask her questions just let me know and I will give you her answers.

Zero Credibility said:
Wonder why she can't just get what she needs herself of send some of her minions - maybe a good use of out negotiator would be to find out exactly what we would be facing there. After all, that would increase our chances of succeeding, and she does want that, doesn't she?

She tells you that she has to stay in the fortress to maintain the runes on its walls, she will not elaborate. You speculate that she is concerned about the shadows getting in.

You and Thaïs ask about possible threats but she does not know as she has never been there and did not want to risk Ithapi and/or Amena on the trip to the library. You guess that she thinks there will be a fair bit of resistance if she was worried for her servants.

Also I rolled to see if Thaïs could convince her to let you take one more person as per Jester's suggestion and it was a success so if you want you can pick four people. I will add an option for 3 man party vs 4 man party and the more popular option will determine how many go.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Alright, now for the choices.

1) Hmmm, redefining the meaning of a 'fetch quest', I see. We will go through with the plan and keep an eye on possible outs of this situation. We may find something that would help us hold against the shadows on our own, or something that would allow us to get an upper hand on Eris. No way am I going to follow everything that a nice sorceress with fashionable clothes made of human leather says to the letter. A.

2) The mere fact that we would be exploring the library requires us to bring as much mages there as we can possibly afford to make the most out of it. We also need someone who is good with a weapon to protect us from physical threats, or if the shadows find their way around the wards somehow. Since we didn't investigate the Children (foolsss, all of ye! the only mage you can trussst is a dead mage!) and Miosguinn is the most proficient out of the bunch, his participation is a must. Ditto for Gareth. Brigit would make for an excellent scout, trap handler, and fire support, and she is not a novice to magic as well. The question is, do we bring the fourth person with us?

I suggest we do. Why not use the resourses available? The fetch can't try anything until we bring her what she wants, and if we don't, good luck waiting for another two hundred years until some stupid adventurers make it through hundreds of mahir (there were, like, ten mahir, tops, in the whole Myth campaigns! Even Balor himself didn't know how to make one. If we find a method to mass produce them like this, there is our ticket to world domination!). She will behave until we bring her what she needs.

And frankly, the only person who can eat a lightning bolt to the face and can actually down a sorceress currently lies drained and refuses medical attention. There is no point to leave someone to watch Eris - there is nothing they can do to stop her should she attempt anything. So there is no need to split the party more than we already have to. The more mages we have with us, the more ground we can cover, the more things we can find, and the less we would depend on Miosguinn, which is a good thing in my book. So A, (B, E, F).

Meanwhile, Seprent and Tyrvard stay behind and sort their differences. Bring them that tent and promise them that if Tyrvard won't be up and running by the time we come back, the'll be sleeping together from here on. His health is no longer his personal matter.

3) How can a mage choose anything but a personal power? A.

4) B.

Last edited:

Boxer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fangshi

>>> This is something that I was and am worried about (...) But here I am not certain that I am not simply boring everyone.
Well, as the content creater who wastes precious hours for the entertainment of assburgers, you shouldnt give a flying fuck. People vote so you are good.

>>> As I lack a proper background in the writing of fiction what exactly are you suggesting by a more "novel'y" style? Do you mean a change in perspective/point of view to something more centred within the character or a greater emphasis on dialogue in general, or something a bit different than either?
Nothing as drastic as perspective. You are a competent writer. Imho, a good one with solid vocabulary, solid pacing. Sometimes the 'you' repetion in a short timeframe is distracting, eg 'you do this', 'you do that', 'you see'. But otherwise surprisingly good.
But structurally, your updates have two styles in them. I am too lazy to give specific examples but often you are pushing information above presentation, or worse, you quickly go from a descriptive, mood building, novel'y style into info pushing. Ill try giving you an example of informational stuff:
- shopping part with the item presentations feels like diablo and choosing stat synergies
- teh arrow fight with the zombies is imo a good example (in my foggy memory), you precisely count them but their numbers or how many got shot is kinda irrelevant since we dont have any influence about the action, i mean, its not a combat enocunter where the readers get to vote on what to do, hell it aint even involving our char
- the imaginative style of finding the shoppe through the magic fog is nice but gets into item presentation for the readers rather quick for my taste

You are communicating to the readers too much/too peculiar info/detail as to make their decisions a more objective one, which feels like a pnp session. But this isnt. I like it when CYOAs are presented as prose first and foremost. But who gives a fuck.

>>> I have attempted to portray them as fairly selfish and not terribly caring when it comes to others but if that characterization failed then I would like to know.
Nah, you are good. I meant their superhuman abilities as characters. Its a staple of a garbage genre, I guess.

Kipeci

Arcane
Do you think there's any problem in opening a portal to whatever dimension holds those sorcerors? What if it turns out to be a two-way sort of deal?

Fangshi

Arcane
Boxer said:

:salute: Cheers, I will keep that in mind and see what I can do.

Kipeci said:
Do you think there's any problem in opening a portal to whatever dimension holds those sorcerors? What if it turns out to be a two-way sort of deal?

You can have Miosquinn analyze the spell when you get it but there is just no way to know at the moment.

Derryth is concerned but then she is almost always at least a little concerned. If you are asking whether the evil cleric that wears skin for clothing may try to betray you... well it is a distinct possibility or she may just be homesick...

Also Eris is sending along her loyal "apprentice" and her muscle so if you lot want to try and betray Eris just be aware that you will have to deal with her servants first. You can try to subvert them and win them over (2 CHA :lol:) or you could ensure they suffer "accidents" though that will make Eris very suspicious.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The sound of shadows swirling...

Behind you...

In front of you...

To all sides...

There must be hundreds of them...

Was this the worst choice?

"Call me Erisss...

All hail Discordia.

1) The Plan:
a) You agree to the plan.

2) If you pick 1a then you have to pick three people to go with you, who will they be (top three picks will go):

b) Gareth

e) Brigit

f) Miosguinn

g) the Apprentice

3) On a completely unrelated note do you want to memorize the firebolt scroll (and lose the scroll) or keep it for an emergency (use it like a consumable).

a)Memorize it so you can start practicing. (lower strength, but unlimited use based on fatigue)

4) Thaïs has convinced Eris to let you pick an extra person if you want, the question is should you?

b)Four people

Fangshi

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
Was this the worst choice?

Can't really go into details yet (maybe if you survive the dungeon crawl I can give a basic rundown at the end of the chapter) but each path has its advantages and disadvantages so it is hard to say really.

It will largely depend on how well you lot handle the Fetch and the Shadows compared to your hypothetical odds against the other denizens of the crawl (Tyrvard's path was more straightforward for example). The large number of variables makes it difficult to say which path would have been the hardest.

Though Nevill is right, that many shadows in one place is very strange, both Derryth and Gareth believe that it is quite odd but do not know what to make of it.

Nevill

Arcane
Judging by how these creatures were lured here in the first place and desperately want to get back, whoever comes through the portal to this side is going to spend much time reflecting on their life choices.

Relax, they are not planning an invasion.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is an aspect we haven't considered. Are our companions going to be upset with us for helping a Fetch?

To help fetch leave. I think that's a good outcome for everyone, the rest of the world included. Unless of course she has some other ideas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom