Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    5A - Yes, you send an eagle to the Pathfinders.
    6AB: Derryth's ring - Greater Energy Bolt. Leave Thais' as is.

    I also hope we reconsider taking the stone ourselves. This thing calls to us, and although our willpower is enormous, we can still fail two checks in a row, as we did at the court session. It's the last thing we want to happen in the middle of the battle.

    It's not like we didn't know what we are getting into - hence all the precautions we took. I really hope we won't have to revisit our relationship again.

    As for the benefit - the gamble have already paid off. It is Nanshe's soldiers lying dead on the pyre instead of ours. The infighting is already happening. Nanshe is very resourseful, and she is determined to win this. She has no other choice, too - once you go against something like the Watcher, you either win or you and everything you ever cared for is exterminated, and she made it a point she won't end like the Oghres. Whatever she is up to, I bet she will be a major thorn in the enemy's side.

    Was it worth to exchange massive profits for this? We'll see. My take is that allies are harder to come across than jewgoldz.

    That should be a requirement for joining our Circle. You have to be either an outlaw or a madman. Or both.

    Fangshi, if we wanted a spell to blast the crows out of the sky, what are our options? Did we recognize the lightning spell Nanshe used? Is there something like this among the conventional spells? I figured our eagles would appreciate it if we decimated the crow population before letting them operate.

    By the way, can our eagles cast spells from the rings? I remember it was said anyone could cast from them even without a proper magical training. I have some nasty plans. :lol:

    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Your options to try and hit the crows:

    Derryth and Thaïs are not really built to take on large groups (in the hundreds). Neither one has an AOE spell that causes actual physical damage so killing enough crows to make a difference could be quite difficult.

    Derryth: Assault and Mass Assault could drop one or a small group respectively. Compulsion and Suggestion might also do some harm if you could get them to fight each other but you would be targeting individual birds and small groups only. Magical Zap could probably drop crows if you aimed right. Firebolt and Energy Bolt definitely could if you could hit them with it though again that is one crow at a time.

    Thaïs: She has much the same spell list as you do so she is bound by the same limitations. Greater Energy Bolt is good against a single strong target but it is not an area spell so it would do her little good.

    Now Lyssa may actually have a few things that could help:

    Lyssa: Some of her illusions could probably trick the crows into getting themselves killed or at least fleeing and a powerful enough illusion might even get them to clear off for a while. Crows are quite intelligent and these cows are more intelligent than most but they are definitely easier targets than fully 'sentient' species like humans, dwarves, mauls or ghôls. Her Strong Wind and Freezing Wind spells could also likely harm a number of crows in a single casting but Lyssa would tire quickly. She could also try to 'win the over' with her animal based spells but you can vaguely tell that there is magic at work there so you are hesitant to invest the time and resources necessary to convert the crows.

    Now aside from your mages you do have a couple resources to consider in the mid to long term.

    The spells you received from Nanshe might contain something and you also have that elemental spellbook. The Spellbook does not have a index or anything so you would just have to open it to a random page and see what you get if you wanted to use it without careful study.

    If you give Berty the task and some time and resources he might also be able to create something to use against the crows but it is doubtful he could do too much in the next couple of hours.

    As long as the instructions you give them are specific and simple they should be able to manage it. So sure you can equip the rings on the eagles and make laser 'energy bolt throwing' eagles.

    Just be aware that there are only two eagles and hundreds of crows, if you are not careful you could lose an eagle or two and one or both of your rings.
     
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The question is more of a long-term one... assuming we need to think long-term after deciding to go to the fallen fort, that is. :lol:

    I am well-aware that we don't have AoE, which is why I wanted to know what would be the quickest way to do something about it. Freezing Wind looks like the best spell we currently have available, but it isn't good enough. We'll have to invest some time in the research when we get back to the capital - the birds are becoming a problem when every adversary brings hundreds with them.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Other way round. Why he didnt warm up to her?
     
    ^ Top  
  5. archaen Arbiter Patron

    archaen
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2014
    Messages:
    622
    We haven't got him to reveal his tragic back story and Shepardized him with our teenage-angst-level psycho babble. Wait, this isn't ME3...
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Fangshi, I am curious - had we gone with a general Ai statement in the previous choice, what would have been the plan? Putting aside how well it would have worked, what would the characters come up with? I remember a mention of faking Nanshe's death, but I don't know if it was a part of the plan or not.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    He likes her but he does not trust her and he is not as straight forward as someone like Myora who is only concerned with Derryth's competency. He could very well become quite a good friend without ever stepping out of the neutral category, it is just his way.

    He has also known you for less than a month and even though he works for you he does not consider himself your subordinate. So those are also likely factors.


    There would have been a couple differences off the top of my head:

    1. You would have faked her death as it would have cost you fewer Energon cubes but it might have led to complications if she ever turned up in a public role.

    2. You would not have used the gloves/necklace to communicate so the rolls she would have had to make would have been more difficult. If she could not figure out how to block the signal herself then she would not have robbed you and instead would have waited for your instructions.

    3. There would not have been the stipulation about heading southeast with the loot. Though it did not matter in the end as she was attacked and deviated from your plan anyway.

    4. ????? - can't tell you yet.

    5. ????? - also can't tell you yet.

    There might be a couple other points of difference but I would not worry about it too much. You are still in a rather dangerous position so I would focus on what you are going to do if the fort has fallen.


    The vote will close in twenty four hours or so.

    Show Spoiler
    Grimgravy: A,C,A,A,A,abstain
    Kz3r0: A,C,A,C,A,BB
    Nevill: A,C,A,C,A,A(Greater Energy Bolt)B
    Jester: C,C,A,B,x,xx
    archaen: A,C,A,C,A,xx

    1. Where to go:
    A) 4 votes
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D)
    E)

    2. Wealth:
    A)
    B)
    C) 5 votes

    3. Skulls:
    A) 5 votes
    B)
    C)

    4. Watcher's Stone
    A) 2 votes
    B) 1 vote
    C) 2 votes

    5. Eagle Message
    A) 3 votes
    B)
    C)
    D)

    6. Rings: (2 out of 4 votes, 1 abstain)
    Derryth's Ring:
    A) 1 vote (1 vote Greater Energy Bolt)
    B) 1 vote
    Thaïs' Ring:
    A)
    B) 2 votes
     
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't suppose we can use our superior mobility to run past the enemies?

    Anyone wants to consider changing the spells on the rings? If we are going to engage the Watcher's Creature, we'll need some way to attack it.
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Sure, if you leave the loot and all your infantry behind you and your escort should be able to escape in the carriage/chariots.

    Did you want me to add it as an option?
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Not before we take a look at what is happening there. I suppose we could always flee with a tail between our legs if things get hairy.

    I can't see Derryth leaving the infantry unless she suffers a bitter defeat and has no other options. These are our soldiers. They are both our assets and charges.

    The girl just does not know how to let go, whether it is treasure, or people. :)

    Then again, depending on what kind of army awaits us there, even the infantry might be able to outrun them.
     
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    ^ Top  
  11. archaen Arbiter Patron

    archaen
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2014
    Messages:
    622
    For the crows the dwarves already have all the resources to make flak cannons. Just a fused mortar with shrapnel attached would get the job done. We need to wake Melete and let her loose on it.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    May as well close it now as I doubt we will get too many more votes what with the summer vacation period ramping up.

    Your winning options are:

    1.A You will rush back to the fort....
    Show Spoiler
    Which you were specifically warned against doing... good luck. :lol:


    2.C You will load all the wealth into the carriage thereby denying yourselves that means of quick escape.

    3.A you will not harvest the skulls of your dead enemies, leaving all those WPs just lying in the dirt.

    4.C You will give the piece of the Watcher to the captain of your escort.

    5. A You will send an eagle to the Pathfinders to see if they can send you any help.

    6. B,B You will not change the spell setup of your rings.


    Expect an update in twelve to sixteen hours as usual.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Chapter 40: Where Angels Fear to Tread

    The night. This night. It has been kind to you, it has sparked a revolution, it has returned part of your treasures to you and it has spared you loss and misery.

    Yet you are not entirely here, the night pulls you away, back into years long gone. Perhaps that is the nature of the night, when the world shrinks around you, or perhaps your mind seeks an escape from the horrors that are likely to await you at your destination. In either case you chase your thoughts back, back to your earliest nights and the lessons they taught you.

    As a small child your parents would terrify you with stories of the night, of the dark things and nameless horrors waiting to snatch up rebellious little girls. They told you tall tales of fairies and elves and goblins that would devour you whole or spirit you away to their mossy halls and clap you in the thick chains of eternal servitude.

    As a child you had believed them. Early you would race to your bed with the setting sun, early you would rise with the day, but then such is life on the farm. There is very little to do when the light disappears and strange shapes dance in the corners of one's mind. So you learnt to hide from the night as so many do.

    You were a good little girl in those years. In the end it mattered little.

    Parents dead. Farm gone. You learnt.

    In those early years you sought out the night, the fear; you explored the dark places. Your curiosity bloomed then and you sought to prove to yourself that there was nothing in the dark that was not there in the light. Fear and excitement were your constant companions and each spurred the other to greater heights. On the streets of Madrigal, Tyr and Covenant you learned to love the night. As long as you treated her with respect, as long as you approached her with cunning, as long as you paid her, her just due. So long as you did all that the night protected you, hid you and buried your secrets. For a few years that was enough, you lived without contemplating your fears and found peace in action without thought. Keen eyes, quick hands, it was enough.

    Then in a tomb, cold and thick with the stench of the dead, you learnt again. You learnt that there are terrors in the dark that can not stand the light.

    It was almost your last lesson.

    Henry saved you, it was not the first time you met the mage and it would not be the last but it was the most important. It set you on your path.

    "Understanding, child," he had said, "With understanding comes power. There are many monsters in this world: some big, some small, some seek the dark, some move in the light. All are real and all are dangerous but only to those that do not understand."

    He had explained to you then that the path of the mage, of the true mage, is one of understanding. The men of the light, the beasts of the night, even the Dark Gods themselves are as nothing before the true mage. For the true mage understands them even as they fail to understand themselves.

    On that dark night, in that tiny crypt, you learnt the most important lesson of your young life. Never again did fear touch you the same way, never again could it reach into your very soul and rob you of your sovereignty. You still felt it of course, it still pulled on you as it does on all those that live and still remain master of their own minds, but never again would it shape you.

    For the first time you forced your absolute will upon the world, for the first time you cast a spell.

    It worked. The world bent just a little, not enough to impress anyone, not enough to discourage the monsters of light and dark, but it was a start.

    You can trace the exact road that has led you from there to here, the same road that is now leading you back to Fort Blackrock in spite of Nanshe's warnings. You need to understand what you are up against in order to beat it and the fort holds all the answers at the moment.

    You hope this is not a trap.

    You hope the fort still stands.

    You hope you are not too late.

    -------------------------------------------

    You stop at the path that leads up to the fort, nearly half an hour away. The sky is black with smoke and crows. You will go no further until you have some idea of what you are up against.

    "Are they still following us?" your friend asks Berty nervously.

    "They sure are Taide," he shakes his head, "The bastards know we are headed to the fort, they know we do not have the time to go chasing after them and they know that they can easily fall on our rear the second we engage whatever forces they have besieging the fort."

    "Assuming it still stands," you mutter.

    The smoke coming from the top of the mountain has you all concerned but you have to maintain formation and take it slow up these mountain passes. The last thing you need is to get caught strung out on a trail with that signal still shadowing you.

    "Ah, don't think like that Derry," he slaps you on the back, "First rule of war is ta never give up! Sometimes you can beat the other guy through sheer bloody-minded stubbornness. Ya' just got to refuse ta' die!"

    "Wouldn't that give the advantage to our enemies though," Lyssa chimes in, "What with them being undead and all?"

    "Bah! Let me at 'em!" he begins to hop around, shadowboxing, "Why I ain't met the stiff yet that the ol' one, two could not drop!"

    As Berty dances about you ask Lyssa for an update, "Has your eagle seen anything at the fort?"

    She shakes her head, "A lot of smoke and a lot of crows. That is all she has to report. She can not get us more information unless she get closer but she can not get closer with all the crows about," she lets out a frustrated sigh, "If I send her up again she probably won't come back."

    You wave Myora over, "What about our scouts? Have they seen anything?"

    The maul nods in satisfaction, "Yes, old Neel has managed to get almost to the gates without being spotted. Don't ask me how though with all those crows around," she lets out a short, harsh laugh, "He really is the best."

    "So what does he have to say," Thaïs enquires.

    Myora nods and her momentary mirth evaporates, yielding to her usual businesslike demeanour, "The fort has definitely fallen but perhaps I should let our scout give his report himself," she whistles twice and a short, grey man makes his way over to your group.

    He does not bother to introduce himself or wait for permission, instead he simply nods and points at you, "You the one in charge now?"

    You nod and he launches into his report, "The front gates have been smashed apart, looks like they took a couple blows from something big or powerful. The rest of the fort is completely intact from what I saw and there appears to be no actual damage to the rest of the structure. The smoke we are seeing does not seem to be coming from any fire I could spot. It may be a spell but I have no way of knowing. Good news is I did not see any undead while near the fort but the bad news is it is definitely occupied. While hiding under the wall I heard two individuals speaking in a tongue I am unfamiliar with. They were not speaking any human language and while I am no expert I am fairly certain it was not dwarven or maulish either. The crows are thick as flies around the fort as well but not one of them bothered to look at the ground, they are all scanning the skies, probably looking for your eagles."

    "And what of Jawbone, Rand or their men," you ask.

    "Jawbone's dead," Neel spits, "His body is strung up over the main gate. A couple others are also hanging off the battlements. No idea what happened to Rand and the rest, though Rand is a sneaky bastard so he might be in there somewhere," Neel shakes his head, "A fucking shame too, Jawbone owed me fifty gold, now that old bastard will never pay up."

    The fort fallen, the garrison defeated, it might just be wiser to withdraw.

    As you contemplate giving the order your thoughts are interrupted by a howling and crashing of drums.

    The signal that has been tailing you flares to life and it is reasonably powerful. Probably as strong as you or Thaïs alone. It seems that your stalker has finally chosen his moment to strike.

    In response a curious and haunting melody descends from the fort on the mountain. Two signals flare to life from within the fort. The first is as strong as you and Thaïs put together, it has a slight quality to it that you recognize; a sort of clod flame, dancing but without warmth. You suspect it is the Creature Nanshe warned you about. The second signal, much to your dismay is stronger still. While it is nowhere near as powerful as the great archmages you have encountered it is still beyond you, Thaïs and Lyssa combined.

    Discretion may well be the better part of valour here as it quickly becomes clear that you are outmatched. If you were dug in, with the advantage of thick walls and heavy artillery you believe you might just prevail by carefully timing your shots but out here on the side of the mountain you feel horribly exposed.

    Myora races to your rear in attempt to form a steady front against your newly emboldened adversary while you turn to your supporters.

    "I am open to ideas people," you gesture to the group.

    Berty is the first to speak, "Attack the fort! They will never expect it and we need a proper wall between us and whatever is coming our way."

    He obviously can't feel the two signals that have come to life within the fort, "Berty, that might be a bad idea," you and Thaïs reply together.

    He arches an eyebrow, "Why?"

    "Two more mages, stronger than the one behind us are up there," Lyssa whispers.

    "Can you beat them?" he quickly asks.

    "Maybe one of them if the three of us worked together," you shrug, "I don't know about both of them though. They might simply be too strong."

    He nods in resignation, "Then we hit the smaller group and run like hell!"

    "That might be the sounder course of action, yes," you nod before asking the question you all fear, "Do we have time though?"

    Berty considers the question for a moment, "I would say we got about twenty minutes before whatever is in that fort can get all the way down here. Provided they don't got some means of rapid movement," he hesitates as an idea comes to him. He grunts, clearly unhappy with it but quickly resolves to tell you anyway. He leans in close to your ears, "We could always sacrifice the infantry and six of your escort. If they attack our pursuers then we should be able to smash right through with the chariots and carriage in the confusion. We would be abandoning them though."

    You are loath to abandon your mercenaries, "It might be a bit of a gamble but what if the three of us attacked this mage together. Perhaps we could push past him or destroy him and rout his group. They are likely less powerful than we are if they refused to join battle until now."

    "We would have to be very quick about it though," Lyssa adds, "All they have to do is hold us off until the group from the fort arrives and we are finished."

    "None of these options are terribly encouraging," you are forced to acknowledge, "I just don't know w-"

    Your eye catches movement as a large stone shifts to reveal a short, narrow tunnel. A figure steps out of the low tunnel, you have trouble placing him which means it could only be one man, "Rand?" you call hesitantly.

    He gives you an inscrutable smile, "Glad you remembered. If you would please follow me I can escort you to safety."

    You grin, "Let me marshal the men first."

    He frowns and shakes his head, "I am afraid it must be only you and your friends. By now our enemies know that you are here, we will need the distraction provided by our men to safely escape."

    "What about the King's men? What about Myora?" you demand.

    "The Kings' men must stay, they will fight hardest and buy us the most time," he drops his gaze and for a second you sense sadness, then it is gone again, "Myora must also stay, the passages we must pass through are old and a maul simply will not fit. Please, we must leave quickly."

    He looks ready to flee back into the tunnels at any moment, with or without you.

    Above you, from the fort on the mountain, something powerful begins to move.

    You have no more time.


    You choose to:

    A) Attack the Fort, it is certainly not what they will expect. But you will have to defeat whatever is up there and whatever is following you.

    B) Attack the smaller group that has cut off your escape route. You will try to take out the enemy leaders in the hopes of breaking through with your entire force. The biggest concern is that you may run out of time and end up trapped between your enemies.

    C) Order your infantry to attack the smaller force and push them out of your path. If they succeed you should be able to ride through with your carriage and chariots. You will have to abandon all your infantry, Myora and six of the Royal Guards though.

    D) Spit your forces. One group (Group A) will engage the enemies coming down from the mountain while the other (Group B) tries to break through the smaller group. It might give Group B more time to escape but everyone in Group A is almost guaranteed to die or get captured. (In this option you are free to list your preferences on who will go in each group. For example, D: Group A: Berty, the Blackrock grenadiers, etc Group B: Myora, the mauls, etc )

    E) You will take Rand's tunnels and trust him to lead you through the mountain. You will however have to abandon your infantry, your vehicles, Myora and the chests. Either because they will not fit or because they are needed to buy you time.

    F) Ambush Plan: "We give all the remaining cubes to Lyssa with a ring of mass fear to fend off the crows and send her and a sapper team back to mine the whole trail. Lyssa's job is to use illusions to hide the team from crows and scare them off with her ring if that fails. Have Berty take as many volunteers as he needs to get the job done without keeping them hidden burdensome for Lyssa. Neel can take the shot but he should have a backup in case he is felled.

    We hit the other group hard and fast and try to break through as quickly as possible. Our goal is to split or bottle their ranks and give ourselves and the sapper party an escape route. Thais and Derryth take out any mages while the troops do what they know how to do. Once the mage is down they opportunity fire as needed. If we hear explosions we give them some time and then withdraw."

    G) freeform
     
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Just a short update this time with not much going on mechanically. The calm before the storm so to speak.

    Party/Organizational Changes:

    Party Changes:


    Show Spoiler
    Not much though Berty has had time over the last couple of updates to whip up a little something.

    Berty Levy:

    Lost the following Items:

    1. One Jug Bleaching Solution

    2. Sack of Aluminum

    3. Bag of Charcoal

    4. Twenty Sticks

    Gained the following Items:

    1. Five 'Berty Bombs'



    Organizational Changes:

    Show Spoiler
    Not much here either, you will discover if any of the dwarven warriors survived later if at all.

    Properties Lost:

    1. Fort Blackrock - Fallen

    Deceased Personnel:


    Named Personnel:

    1. Jawbone - KIA

    Unnamed Personnel:

    1. Sixteen Veteran Dwarven Warriors - MIA/KIA


    Rolls:

    Show Spoiler
    Not much just some rolls to keep track of where on the timeline everyone is.

    Derryth's group rolled for movement and did reasonably well.

    The Eagle you sent to Myrgard also rolled for movement, you have no idea how close he is.

    The group following you rolled to keep with you and rolled to avoid a couple advances you made to try and catch them off guard and force a battle. If they had failed to evade you then this update would have been about that battle but they rolled quite well so you are stuck with what you got above.

    The siege actually was not rolled for here. The fort fell not too long after you entered the gullies, they did not stand much of a chance really.

    Rand had a number of rolls all of which are secret and that is about it.
     
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,290
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I'm up for B at first glance.
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Absinthe Prophet

    Absinthe
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2012
    Messages:
    3,202
    B looks like the best option to me too. What do we know about the forces pursuing us?
     
    ^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Not too much given all the crows around and the great job they have done hiding from you.

    There seems to be only one mage of note (or at least only one mage that has been casting enough for you to pick up). And he/she/it seems to be roughly on your level power wise though you do not know what sorts of spells it has.

    They have a screen of a couple hundred crows that might be a problem if they attack you all at once. Though it is worth noting that you have never actually seen the crows attack anyone except the eagles.

    You ask Lyssa for an explanation and she says that if they are using animal magic similar to the kind she uses then they can not force the crows to do anything they do not want to do. If that is the case the crows have not attacked out of a desire for self preservation (the first couple dozen crows to come at you are guaranteed to die). They may simply scatter and run for safety if you attack or they might do something else.


    That is about all you know for certain however you can speculate a little based on how the enemy moves and acts:

    There are likely no undead with them, the undead would not be able to keep up with your group so ghasts, thralls, Stygian Knights, and wights are all likely out.

    There might be Soulless but again they are likely to be too slow to actually keep up. Derryth believes that there are none present and Myora and Berty agree.

    The Watcher has never used Myrkridia in the past and you have no evidence that he is using them now so that leaves ghôls as the most likely candidate for the bulk of the enemy force.

    There might also be humans and/or mauls if the Watcher's minions have been able to convince any to sign up but that also is unlikely.

    If you are dealing with a force of mostly ghôls the largest danger will be thrown weapons and explosives unless they are heavily armed like Nanshe's followers were. The bright side is that you also have explosives now and your dwarves should have greater range than their ghôls. A massed chariot charge could also do a lot of damage but you would likely lose some chariots.

    As for the size of the force it is likely smaller than yours as they did not feel up to challenging you until you came within range of the more powerful mages in the fort.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Damn, I hoped we would have engaged the smaller force by now.

    Well, let's see if we can dispatch them quickly. I don't want to abandon the infantry right off the bat, but there may not be a choice if we fail hard enough.

    B for now.
     
    ^ Top  
  19. asxetos Augur

    asxetos
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Messages:
    807
    Location:
    Greece
    Voting A.
    Surprise will hopefully work for us.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. archaen Arbiter Patron

    archaen
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2014
    Messages:
    622
    Fangshi, we don't know how to use the Halcyon stone at all at this point do we? If we could use the wind power we could knock down the crows and help break up any formation stopping us.

    B.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. archaen Arbiter Patron

    archaen
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2014
    Messages:
    622
    I guess we don't have a way to message Mazzarin? I just looked at the old posts and didn't see anything. We may need our last wish to be to destroy all the stones of the Watcher and those that follow him.
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Mazzarin of all people hardly needs to be told that, he probably destroys anything Watcher-related on sight. Their enmity goes back for a thousand of years, if not more.

    I wonder what he is doing, though. He was so eager to get into action, and yet several weeks have passed and there is no sign of him. I guess he is up to something sneaky, though I have difficulties imagining him being subtle.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. archaen Arbiter Patron

    archaen
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2014
    Messages:
    622
    We may need his presence, however, to survive this next encounter.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That's a bit too much to hope for.

    Even if he theoretically could intervene (which he might not be able to, as I don't remember if the setting has any teleportation spells), in the great scheme of things we aren't really all that important. He'd do it casually, but if it will require a lot of effort on his part, he'd probably pass. At least, that was the feeling I got about his attitude towards us.

    Though that reminds me, he still owes us a favor. Divine intervention, anyone? :lol:
     
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    ^ Top  
  25. archaen Arbiter Patron

    archaen
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2014
    Messages:
    622
    That was what I was implying. That we use our last 'wish' to get him to help us destroy our enemies here. It looks like we don't have a way to contact him unless he built in something to the necklaces and didn't tell us about it.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.