Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,390
    So now Bvi. has three votes.
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    The vote is now closed.

    You will head back to the fort.

    You will send a chariot to deliver the stone to the King and request reinforcements in the form of the Royal Guards.

    You will send a second chariot directly to Stoneheim to request reinforcements from your mercenaries there.

    You will send an eagle to the Arrows with a job offer to Ceannard.

    The update should be ready within eighteen hours.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Chapter 42: The Battle of Blackrock I

    It was a simple matter to retake the fortress, with only a handful of ghôls to act as defenders and no gates to protect them your enemies did not stand a chance.

    You gave orders to your vanguard to take them alive for interrogation.

    Orders which were promptly ignored as soon as the mercenaries saw Jawbone and their friends strung along the battlements like festival ribbons.

    "Another one over here!" Myora shouts. You casually glance out the window as her words drift up to your ears. In her usual cool tone she reminds your men, "Mistress Derryth wants him alive!"

    No sooner do the words pass her lips then a ghôl, worn and weary, dressed in ragged black robes, bursts past her and makes for the main gate. He is moving faster than most men can run but though he is moving quickly he does not truly stand a chance.

    You contemplate giving the order to let him go, your mouth opens. Then you remember how that would look, how insane it would sound, and you promptly shut it again. It is hard to think of them as animals now but on reflection there is little you can do. They are the enemy and you know for a fact that if they had you in their power you could only pray for a quick death.

    For a moment you consider hitting him with an assault spell but there is little point, he is already dead. He ensured it as soon as he ran.

    You mutter about the stupidity of it all as your archers loose their arrows.

    They catch him before he is even half way across the yard. A trio of arrows connect with a rapid series of thuds. He gasps as they drop him and send him skidding along the stone yard. He twitches slightly and one of your sell swords drives a blade through his neck.

    Myora glances up at your window and catches you watching. She turns to her men, "Damn it you slack jawed fuckwits! I told you alive!"

    She does her best to act furious and they do their best to act remorseful but you do not buy any of it. It is all a show, put on for your benefit.

    "Myora! If I might have a word," you call down to your officer.

    "Yes ma'am!" she gives one of the archers a light kick and hurries inside.

    Turning from the window you mutter, "They are not following my orders."

    "Give it time," Thaïs replies from across the room. She sits at Jawbone's desk sorting through stacks of old documents, she spares you a glance and a smile, "They care enough about your opinion to try to lie to you. That has got to count for something right?"

    You laugh and shrug, "Perhaps."

    It is true that they do respect you now.

    You could see it written on each of their faces after you brought them through this. Many of them likely thought that yesterday would be their last day alive. Perhaps time is all they need, perhaps it is too much to expect that they will follow you like one of their own in a little over two days time.

    "Another one!" one of your men yells.

    You do not even bother to look this time till a pair of explosions echo out into the afternoon air. You rush to the window, "No cocktails in the fort!"

    "Sorry ma'am!" someone calls back from below, "Won't happen again!"

    You turn from the window, shaking your head slightly, "I wonder how Gareth does it..."

    Thaïs laughs, that sweet, melodic sound that soothes your frayed nerves. It has been a busy couple of days and you are glad you have her here to help.

    Below you and about you your subordinates scurry, they are all busy with their assigned tasks and they know, to a man, that time is of the essence.

    Your grenadiers are doing their best to set up a number of kill zones around the keep. If you are attacked you want as many advantages as you can get.

    Myora, your warriors and your archers are searching the grounds for any remaining enemies. The main buildings seems secure but you do not want any surprises turning up later.

    Berty, the girls and your escort are working on a new door or barricade to patch up the hole in your defences created by the enemy mages.

    Finally Lyssa has spent most of her time running between the adjoining chamber and the cellar. You have set her to work catching mice and rats. You want more spies, more scouts, and any animals you can find will be put to work for your cause. From the occasional laughter and happy squeaking coming from the chamber you think her assignment is going well.

    You also took the precaution to send messages to your allies. Yesterday afternoon, shortly after retaking the fort, you sent word by chariot to Myrgard and Stoneheim. To the King and the head of your Stoneheim branch. Hopefully reinforcements will be quick to arrive.

    You also sent a message to the Black Arrows by Lyssa's last eagle. Ceannard's men are some of the best in the east and each would be worth their weight in gold to you if a battle must be fought here.

    With all these preparations for war going on around you it may seem strange that the two of you have spent much of the last day trying to make sense of Blackrock's records. But you have to consider the future of the company and your own futures as well. If you survive this then you need a way to make money, and quickly, or you will drown under the debt you have taken on. You would hate to save the kingdom only to spend the rest of your days in a debtor's prison. Though your friend assures you that the dwarves would not go that far unless you tried to flee the kingdom.

    "Find anything in your stack?" you ask her.

    She frowns, "Yes and No. These records are not simply a mess, they are purposefully misleading. Without Jawbone around it will take me quite some time to sort out everything Blackrock has been up to. I should be able to piece together enough to get them functioning within the week but it could take substantially longer than that to uncover their entire history and discover any hidden assets they may possess."

    Not what you wanted to hear.

    Myora has been kind enough to give you rough estimations of the personnel tucked away in your other facilities and has also been able to provide you with what she knows about your remaining officers however she has not been able to give you much more than that. She was a junior officer prior to the purge and simply is not aware of much of what Blackrock was up to prior to her promotion.

    You desperately need to talk to Rand but the man must be half way to Myrgard by now provided he is not lost somewhere below the mountain.

    As you rub your temples you remember something Myora mentioned, "What about the head of our Stoneheim branch? Tind, was it?"

    She nods as she draws a folder from a stack to her left, "Yes, he may know more. His records state that he has been with the company for years so he may be our best contact at this point to help us manage the company."

    You adjust you hat, "Well then I suppose we will need to arrange a meeting with Tind. Provided we do not all die out here first that is."

    She shoots you a sly look, "Always the optimist?"

    You grin, "Naturally why I-"

    You are interrupted by a rap on the door, "Come in," your friend calls out.

    Myora enters, "You wished to see me?"

    "Yes," you nod, "How are our preparations coming along?"

    "We have nearly completed our search of the fort ma'am. We are clearing the last of the passages at this moment. The grenadiers are also making food progress setting up a few surprises for any aggressors," she pauses to guage your reaction. You signal your approval and motion for her to continue, "Mr Levy and your escort are also making good progress on the front ga-"

    "Riders approaching!" one of your men on the outer walls calls out.

    The three of you approach the window as a very large wagon pulled by a team of six rolls up to Berty's barricade. Driving the team is a pair of dwarves in heavy black robes, behind them sit another three dwarves and, to your surprise, a pair of eagles perch on the back of the wagon.

    Your escort moves to stop them but Uttu instantly recognizes one of the drivers, "Astrid!" she hollers and her sister takes up the call. In an instant they are up onto the cart and badgering the Pathfinder with dozens of questions.

    You think to yourself, if Astrid is one of the drivers than surely Bari is the other. Then, as if on cue, the second driver looks up to your window and waves, "Good afternoon Derryth! We heard you were having a few problems with the Dark! Thought we would swing by!"

    It takes you a few minutes to get down to the courtyard and in that time Bari has already begun to win your escort over. Effortlessly he weaves together truth and falsehood as he spins a tale about being a soldier of fortune from the Province. He tells them that you saved him from some unfortunate business with a few cultists years back and he has been in your debt ever since. You are surprised by just how much truth is in his story but then perhaps the best sorts of lies are the ones that are mostly truth.

    They seem to buy the story as well since by the time you reach the group they have all noticeably relaxed. All except Berty, that is. He approaches you as you cross the courtyard, "Ya know these dwarves?" he whispers in your ear.

    "Yes," you respond without hesitation, "They are my friends. Why do you ask?"

    He eyes you cautiously, "They are lying Derry, that's why."

    "They have a good reason to," you whisper back and move to lead him over to the Pathfinders.

    He resists for a moment, then shrugs, "Alright Derry. If ya vouch for them that is good enough for me."

    As you approach you are able to discern the identities of Bari's companions. He must have enlisted everyone at the safe house when he received your message as Ori, Stori, and Alvis have all come along. You also recognize some of the boxes they are unloading, Pathfinder weaponry, he must have brought everything and your eyes light up when you spot a pair of mortars nestled in the back of the cart.

    Bari catches the look in your eyes, "Well you did say to bring help. So I brought help. Now where is the enemy?"

    Ah, you have been dreading this part, "Well Bari the thing is..." you look to Thaïs for help.

    For once she can offer none, "Well what you must understand is..."

    The dwarf's grin slowly fades from his face, replaced by the most desolate expression, "You, you killed them all didn't you?"

    "Now Bari-" you begin but he raises a hand in protest.

    "No, no need to soften the blow," he hangs his head, "You fought evil monsters again and I missed it, again."

    He looks so defeated, "I..." he turns to the other Pathfinders, "Right, stop unloading. We have to pack all of this back up and get it back to-" you interrupt him with a hand on his shoulder.

    Thankfully you know a way to cheer him up, "Yes Bari, we killed them, but only the first batch."

    A spark of hope ignites in his eyes, "The first batch?"

    Thaïs nods and approaches the dwarf, "Yes the first batch. Our concern is that there will be more," she leans in to whisper in his ear and you just catch her words, "Maybe an army."

    "An army," he mouths the words, clearly excited.

    "We can tell you more inside," you suggest.

    He nods and makes for the compound at top speed.

    ---------------------------------------------

    The Pathfinders settle in without much difficulty and barely a day and a half later Ceannard arrives with his Arrows.

    They come dressed in their finest. Crisp black and gold uniforms for his Arrows while his new recruits wear black and bronze. Each has a gleaming blade at his side and an elegant bow on his back. They march in three columns up the winding path with Ceannard riding at their head.

    The man is clearly trying to impress and no doubt he will charge quite a bit but you are glad to have him and his archers here.

    Between your mercenaries, Bari's Pathfinders, and Ceannard's Arrows your fortress should be quite difficult to assault now. Of course there is no knowing what the Watcher might send your way.

    It has been quiet. Far, far too quiet. You have not seen or heard a crow since the battle. You have not seen any enemy movement at all but you know this can not last and it doesn't.

    The next evening your eagles spot the approach of an army. Your human scouts return soon after with similar news and sure enough, within six hours you are staring down from your tower window at the enemy army approaching in the distance.

    Around the table behind you sits your command group: Thaïs, Berty, Bari, Myora, Ceannard, and Lyssa. No one speaks.

    "So what are we looking at here exactly?" you break the silence.

    Lyssa begins, "Well, one piece of good news is that they do not seem to posses any crows. Whatever happened to the birds during our battle seems to have scared them off for the time being."

    "Could they be hiding perhaps?" your friend asks.

    Lyssa shakes her head, "I don't believe so. My eagles have been dealing with these crows for weeks now. They would know if any were near."

    Myora chimes in, "Our scouts report the same. They do not seem to have any aerial support. They also do not seem to have more than a few dozen ghôls with them. Most of their army is comprised of thralls and soulless. Maybe four hundred thralls and as many Soulless."

    "Then we have a clear advantage?" Bari remarks with a confident grin.

    "Not quite," you reply, "They definitely have mages. I can feel them down there."

    "How many?" Berty enquires.

    "Hard to say really," you sigh, "At least twelve. Some of them are quite powerful too."

    "Shades?" Ceannard quietly hazards.

    Thaïs nods, "Quite possibly. They are certainly more powerful than we are and there is something more as well. Something familiar."

    You know exactly what she is talking about, somewhere down there the Watcher's Creature is casting. You would also not be surprised if the entity controlling those dead mages is also down there.

    The already sombre mood in the room is not improved at all as Lyssa begins to speak again, "Not to add further to everyone's concerns but there are few other developments that might concern us. They have brought a large number of covered wagons with them, I do not know what is inside but they might be dangerous. They have also sent an advance party forward to build some sort of pavilion. Though what they hope to achieve in doing so I certainly don't know."

    Worth considering perhaps.

    At the moment though broader strategic decisions require your attention.


    Now that you have seen your enemy you need to decide what you are going to do about them:

    A) Defensive Strategy: you will stay in the fort. Secure every entrance as best as you can and wait for the Royal Army and your mercenaries to arrive with help.

    B) Offensive Strategy: you will march out and attack their advance party before they can finish whatever they are doing. (feel free to specify the forces/individuals you want to use if you so prefer.)

    C) Avian Assault Plan: "Since the sky is finally clear of the crows. While we are busy fighting their vanguard, two of Lyssa's eagles each equipped with a spell ring with something powerful (Greater Firebolt and Greater Energy Bolt respectively) in it would soar in the sky, well beyond the spell range. When the time is right, we give them a signal (say, Uttu's flare in the enemy faces, which can also - probably? - blind them, giving us an additional advantage), whereupon they dive on the enemy from behind at top speed and unleashes the spells at the Mage while we do our best to distract him."

    You have a few proposed force compositions for C, they are as follows, if you do not care about the actual composition of the raiding force then a plain C vote will sufffice:

    Ci:
    Show Spoiler
    "Lyssa, Derryth, and Thais.
    Uttu, Billiku, and Berty.
    Two of Lyssa's Eagles with a greater energy bolt ring and a greater firebolt ring.
    All Pathfinders with their mortars loaded onto two separate chariots with drivers.
    Ceannard and half his archers. The other half left in overwatch on walls.
    Neel and his scouts.
    Twelve chariots loaded with royal guards."


    Cii:
    Show Spoiler
    "Lyssa, Derryth, Thais and Uttu.
    Two of Lyssa's Eagles with a greater energy bolt ring and a greater firebolt ring.
    All Pathfinders with their mortars loaded onto two separate chariots with drivers.
    Ceannard and half his archers. The other half left in overwatch on walls.
    Neel and his scouts.
    Eight chariots loaded with royal guards.
    Four chariots with drivers for our main characters."


    D) Pathfinder's Day Out: "Stay defensive, but let the pathfinders out to cause mayhem behind enemy lines. With crows gone they should be good and time it with a strike against the mage it should be glorious."

    E) Avian Assault with Grenadiers: 'However here my take, blitz in with the chariots loaded with grenadiers, rain down cocktails and quickly retreat, then bombard them with the mortars that have taken position in the rear prior to the charge, at this point use blinding and stunning grenades, that will be the ante for TWO eagles charging from above to unleash the greater energy bolts stored in the rings, the White Mage is a sure target the other should be another mage of choice or possibly a group of them.'

    The force list for E will be as follows:

    Show Spoiler
    "Lyssa, Derryth, Thais and Uttu.
    Two of Lyssa's Eagles with a greater energy bolt ring and a greater firebolt ring.
    All Pathfinders with their mortars loaded onto two separate chariots with drivers.
    Ceannard and half his archers. The other half left in overwatch on walls.
    Neel and his scouts.
    Eight chariots loaded with grenadiers for throwing cocktails.
    Four chariots with drivers for our main characters."


    F) freeform: something more specific or complicated.
     
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Party/Organizational Changes:

    Not much this time around as this update is mostly setup for what is to come, though there are a few changes and some interesting rolls.

    Party Changes:

    Show Spoiler

    Derryth

    Gained the following Magical Items:

    1. 12 Energon Cubes

    2. One very large sack of ghôl marks (Worthless in most markets, worth about 30 WPs in ghôl markets)

    Thaïs

    Gained the following Magical Items:

    1. 12 Energon Cubes


    Lyssa:


    Pets gained:

    1. Twelve Mice

    2. Three Large Rats

    Pet Status Changes:

    1. Eagle sent to Pathfinders returned.

    2. Eagle in Myrgard moved to Fort Blackrock.

    3. Eagle sent to Arrows returned.

    Gained the following magical items:

    1. 12 energon cubes

    Bari and Ceannard join the Party.



    Organizational Changes:

    Show Spoiler
    Property Status Changes:

    1. Fort Blackrock is no longer fallen.

    WPs lost:

    1. 50 WPs lost to pay the Arrows for their services.



    Rolls:

    Show Spoiler
    As this update mostly had to do with messengers and troop movements those made up most of the rolls for this update.

    Your eagles rolled. The Pathfinders rolled. The chariots rolled. The Arrows rolled. The Watcher's Army rolled and so on.

    There were also a large number of rolls happening for other events which Derryth may or may not discover with time. Many of them were fairly interesting.
     
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,175
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    They're building a pavillion to host the peace meetings, obviously. +M
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Absinthe Prophet

    Absinthe
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2012
    Messages:
    3,197
    What about equipment/supplies update? We did get Energon Cubes among other things, right?

    Shouldn't we also have gained some WPs/etc. from looting our enemies and collecting ghol heads? Actually, are those the only heads there's a bounty on?
     
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    ^ Top  
  7. Kipeci Magister

    Kipeci
    Joined:
    May 22, 2012
    Messages:
    2,932
    Location:
    Vicksburg
    Where would we have turned the heads in?
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So what are our forces now? How many pathfinders, how many Arrows? What is this Pathfinder weaponry? How many mortars do we have, two? Any tarnkappes?

    What did Derryth mean by an entity controlling the mages? I am praying it is not the Watcher himself.

    Hm, I wonder why there are so few ghols around. Maybe the Watcher doesn't trust them anymore? Or are they busy elsewhere?

    I am all for a quick sally - it looks like the Army won't make it here in time, so we should slow down the siege for as long as possible. Dammit, 400 Soulless are no joke. I have no idea how to defeat those, not to mention the Shades. I wonder how our reinforcements will make it through the horde that thick.

    How many are there in the advance party? Are there any mages with them?

    Also, we should send out our mice to see what is in those wagons and/or pavilion.

    Anyone else wants to thy an aerial assault with an eagle and a Ring of a Greater Energy Bolt? The eagle's diving speed is 100 mph, something that is almost impossible to hit. If a mage is sufficiently distracted, they won't even notice what happened until it's too late.

    Hmm... maybe the pavillion they are building is a currency exchange booth? They need corpses and bodyparts to create their undead, right?
     
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    ^ Top  
  9. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Hmmm i think mby splitting forces between defence and sabotage could be best way to do it.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Obviously we can't bring all our forces to take down the pavilion. A team should make a quick hit-and-run.

    We have no idea what we are facing, though, so who exactly needs to perform that is yet unclear.
     
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    ^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Yes, you did. It merely slipped my mind last night, my apologies. He managed to procure one large sack of thirty six energon cubes which you split evenly between the three mages (unless there are any objections in which case I can alter the distibution).

    I will update the post and the character sheets with that information.

    Your men did the looting. Derryth did not partake as she had other things to worry about. If you want however you could demand a percentage of what they took as is your right as their commander. Just let me know and I can add it as a question.

    Most of what your men managed to get was equipment and severed heads and you have no where to turn those into WPs at the moment. The ghôls did have money on them but it was in the form of strange green shells which are not actually worth much of anything to the dwarves. Beyond that your enemies simply did not have much. The Drowned Dead did not have any equipment, at least not on the couple of corpses that were still fit to check and the group you blew up also did not have anything of note that survived the blast. (Any Watcher fragments they may have had were likely thrown down the hillside into one of the valleys below. It would take a thorough search to find anything.)

    Sure here is what you have to work with besides your named characters (I am going to count Neel as a named character for this, man has earned a promotion I think) ;) :

    The Lost:

    Mages:

    Derryth - mentalist
    Thaïs - mentalist
    Lyssa - illusionist

    Warriors:
    Biliku - sword and shield
    Uttu - bow
    Berty - unarmed/improvised

    Blackrock Mercenaries:

    Warriors:

    Myora - sword and shield
    Neel - bow

    General Forces:
    13 Veteran Dwarven Grenadiers
    5 Veteran Human Sell-swords (each now has a crossbow and bolts taken from your enemies)
    4 Veteran Human Archers
    4 Veteran Maul Warriors

    The Pathfinders:

    Warriors:
    Bari - thrown weapons
    Astrid - thrown weapons
    Ori - sword and shield
    Stori - hammer and shield
    Alvis - thrown weapons/staff

    Equipment/Pathfinder Weaponry: (20 to a case)
    5 cases Improved Dwarven Cocktails
    3 cases 'dwarven fire' grenades
    2 cases fragmentation grenades
    2 cases concussion grenades
    1 case flash grenades
    1 case smoke/signaling grenades
    1 case incendiary/white phosphorus grenades
    2 mortars
    30 explosive shells
    10 incendiary/white phosphorus shells
    5 smoke shells
    15 illumination shells

    The Arrows:

    Warriors:
    Ceannard - bow/blade
    Otto - bow/blade

    General Forces:
    25 Black Arrows (Master Human Archers)
    40 Veteran Human Archers

    Royal Guards:

    Warriors:
    The Captain - sword and shield

    General Forces:
    31 Royal Guards (four of which are still injured)

    Equipment:
    14 Light Chariots


    No tarnkappes I am afraid. The Pathfinders did not wait to requisition them from HQ. (In fact they just packed everything up and left as soon as they got your message, they did not even ask for permission to be here. :lol: They did send a coded message on to the King though to inform him that you are in trouble.)


    Well she does not know what it is. It was that darkness she felt behind the Drowned Dead.

    There are more of those 'corpse mages' down there so she will not rule out whatever controls them being present. She can't be sure though as it would have to start casting again for her to be able to detect it.

    All your scouts can tell you is that the ones they have seen are all wearing black robes.

    About fifty thrall working on the structure with forty soulless screening them.

    Yes, there are mages. At least three, the Watcher's Creature is amongst them as well.

    That can be done and can probably be managed without needing a vote though some sort of consensus would be appreciated in case something happens. They are not fully trained yet though so they may not all come back. Just say the word and I will let you know what they find, it will advance the timeline by a few hours though as it will take them time to scurry down there and back (it should not change the general situation too much though, your enemy won't finish the structure or anything while you wait. They will simply be further along and the enemy army will be closer if/when you decide to act.)
     
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Heh, so the Arrows actually make the backbone of our forces? I am glad we brought them along.

    Did we get a glimpse at how powerful are the other two mages with the Watcher's Creature?

    How far away is that pavilion? Outside of a mortar range, I presume? How far ahead the advance party is from the bulk of their forces? Essentially, how much time we have to do damage and retreat before the rest will catch up?

    Can a mortar be loaded up on a chariot for quick transportation? What does an illumination shell do?

    Are there any tacticians in our employ other than Berty? What do they think about our chances to outwait the siege with all the people we have?

    What about our food and water supplies?
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    He is the only one casting so you do not know how powerful they are. You assume they are mages because they have staves and wear robes (one is dressed in a sort of god awful fuchsia and the other wears copper robes). There may be other mages there as well but if there are then they have the common sense not to dress like a clown threw up on them. :lol:

    Yes, it is well out of mortar range.

    The advance party is maybe thirty to forty minutes from the fort. The army is still likely a few hours away from the fort, maybe three or four when you take into account the trouble they will have getting those wagons through some of the passes and valleys leading up to your position.

    These are the handheld models that you see in the game so I don't see why not, they are fairly compact.

    Well Berty is not great at proper 'stand up' fights. Some of the other tutors you could have hired could tell you (and could do a lot to increase the strength of your defense) but he is not really sure if the fort can hold out or not. Nor is he sure what you can do beyond the obvious to hold it. He thinks it might be fine but it simply is not his field of expertise.

    Myora is probably the most knowledgeable person you have when it comes to standard warfare operations and she too is largely out of her depth. She knows it is a good defensive position but she does not know if it will be enough.

    Ceannard, as an archer and commander of archers, would prefer to stay behind the fort's walls but you have paid for his services so he will go wherever you want and he is no military tactician really.

    The Pathfinders just want a good fight, they don't care where it is.

    You have food for two months stored at the fort and the fort has a well connected to a natural underground reservoir.

    As long as someone does not poison either you should not starve or die of thirst.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Are there some secret passages to the Fort? Some ways for a person to sneak in once the siege begins?

    I've heard the dwarves have air baloons. They used one to drop a party of heroes behind the Cloudspine to rescue Alric from the enemy camp in the first war. Does Albrecht have one of those to drop some reinforcements in? How long will it take?

    We should have asked to bring in some generals. :negative:
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Yes, there is an escape passage that connects to a maze of tunnels that run throughout the mountain. At the moment you have it under heavy guard in case something tries to come in through it. You could also fill it in should you wish.

    Yes, the dwarves have a handful of hot air balloons (six that are functional). Most of them are kept safely at the Royal Academy for similar reasons that mortars are highly regulated (no one wants some loon to fly over their fort and start bombing them. :lol: )

    As king, Albrecht could mobilize them if the Lords free his hand to do so. If they are used then they should be able to reach the fort in under a day and each can carry about a dozen dwarves at full capacity.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Can't some unidentified hooligans (also known as Pathfinders) requisition a baloon for a ride to Stoneheim and also drop a tactician on our fort while they are at it? :lol:
     
    ^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Break into the Royal Academy and steal a balloon? Well it would not be the first time. :lol:

    Yeah, they probably could but now they would have to make their way back to Myrgard and past the enemy vanguard. It would probably take a few days.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Is that the one Nanshe sneaked her ghols through? Meaning the enemy knows where the tunnels are and how to navigate them? Because they have collapsed that one.

    Or did they get in through some other way?

    Wait, we didn't take all of the Pathfinders with us, did we? Why do they need to return to Myrgard, don't they have acquaintances back there? It takes an eagle about 6 hours to get to the city.

    Eh, it was more of a crack idea in the first place. But if we want to wait it out until the Army arrives, it might be worth a shot.
     
    ^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    The one Nanshe came in through was specifically dug for that purpose and has been collapsed.

    No the escape tunnel is the one Rand used to get out of the fort after it fell. Jawbone and at least some of the other dwarves did not make it to the passage in time.

    As far as you know, your enemies do not know about this particular tunnel and would not be able to easily find it without a guide of some sort.

    Bari took all the agents he knew would be willing to help him out without much of an explanation (everyone at that safehouse essentially). He also cleared out all of the stock in the safehouse (without getting clearance to do so).

    If they live through this they are going to have a lot of paperwork to do.
     
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That reminds me.

    How many bodies of our men we've found? How many are confirmed dead? Maybe there were survivors, after all?

    Does anyone else in the company know how to navigate the tunnels? Maybe Neel? Is there a map somewhere?
     
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    ^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    You think eight bodies. Some are a bit difficult to identify but you are certain it is around eight (give or take one or two).

    No, only Jawbone and Rand knew the tunnels well.

    There may be a map somewhere in Jawbone's papers or Rand's offices. I did not have Derryth search Rand's property as it would make it more difficult to convince him to come back should you wish to try. However let me know and I can add it as an option. It would take time however.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Alright, guys. So here are my thoughts.

    The advance party and the pavilion are an obvious trap. Or, should we say, it is an invitation by the White Mage. There are very few reasons why they could not have waited for the main army to arrive and then start the construction. There are only two explanations I see - either it is something urgent, or they are drawing us out. And seeing how this siege may last for weeks, I don't quite understand why there would be any rush. Besides, fifty thralls and forty Soulless look like a completely negligible force, just asking for a pre-emptive strike.

    We have to expect that they are heavy on mages.

    If so, we should bring some archers with us, as they can outrun and outgun the mages given the chance. We should also bring in a mortar, as it is a great equalizer between the casters and those who are less proficient in the Art. Chariots would not be out of place, too, since we can't use them in the Fort anyway. Who exactly gets an assignment is a question that can be discussed later.

    The plan is to get rid of the White Mage and to thin out the ranks of the other mages as well. The problem is that so far the only way to get rid of the Mage was to play a trick on him. He is too powerful to overwhelm him in a fair fight.

    So I propose the Avian Assault Plan, since the sky is finally clear of the crows. While we are busy fighting their vanguard, one of Lyssa's eagles equipped with a spell ring with something powerful in it would soar in the sky, well beyound the spell range. When the time is right, we give it a signal (say, Uttu's flare in the enemy faces, which can also - probably? - blind them, giving us an additional advantage), whereupon it dives on the enemy from behind at top speed and unleashes the spell at the Mage while we do our best to distract him. As we have never before used our eagles for anything but scouting, there is no way he would be able to see it coming. Eagle casters should be too advanced a tactics even for him. Not to mention he does not know about the rings - yet.

    Once the White Mage falls, I believe we'll have a much easier time cleaning up the rest and withdrawing back to the Fort.

    So, how about it, folks? Yes, no, possibly?

    Hmph. Can Neel track Rand's trail if it comes to it?
     
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    ^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Rand is a professional and he is traveling along stone paths. It might be possible though, Neel is quite good. If you want to send him in you can certainly try.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. archaen Arbiter Patron

    archaen
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2014
    Messages:
    621
    Looks good. Though, it sucks wasting resources to take out the White mage again just for him to be back the next day but he is the one that can do the most damage to our forces. I don't think we have hit him with a greater energy bolt yet so we may be able to gimp him with it this one time. I expect in the future for it to not work as well.

    Send out mice to scout army while we take care of the forward force.

    I don't like sending Neel after Rand due to the possibility that he is a traitor. We would either have to send Neel to assassinate Rand or risk Rand attacking Neel when he tries to talk to him. We also lose our best tracker for an unknown amount of time. I am more inclined to seal the tunnels up.

    My picks for troops:
    Lyssa, Derryth, and Thais. I want them together for the magic resistance boost it gives.
    Utto, Billiku, and Berty
    Lyssa's Eagle with a greater energy bolt ring
    All Pathfinders with their mortars loaded onto two separate chariots with drivers.
    Ceannard and half his archers. The other half left in overwatch on walls.
    Neel and his scouts infiltrate to a flank and don't engage unless we need cover to escape.
    Ten chariots loaded with royal guards.

    This is a fast attack group with a lot of offense. Can retreat if things go sideways.
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,264
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A but I'm up for scouting/raiding provided we can come up with something decent.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.