Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Chapter 44: The Battle of Blackrock III

One of the advantages of only working with the best is that once your orders were issued you could be certain that they would be carried out.

Your chariots ferry the injured back to the fort as you scouts track the enemy and help slip Lyssa's spies into their ranks. The Pathfinders for their part are pursuing their own ends. Alvis, Stori and Ori have set to mining the most likely avenues of advance for the enemy forces while Bari and Astrid have been combing your enemy's camp for anything that may prove useful.

For your part you have spent the last half an hour thoroughly examining your enemy's building.

The structure your enemies are attempting to raise is fascinating and the three of you have spent a great deal of time examining it. It is fascinating because it is a complete mystery to you. And it is a complete mystery because it is so very ordinary.

In every meaningful way it appears to be merely a normal structure.

It is built from mundane wood and stone, nothing that would be too difficult to replace at least. It does not seem to contain any traps or hidden chambers, in fact it consists of a single large, open-air, nine sided room and nothing more. There are no runes carved in the walls, there are no arcane writings engraved along the support pillars, there are no orbs, or crystals, or corpses, or anything really to give you even a hint of what it could be used for with only a single exception. One of the walls is hinged and split down the middle, you have tested it and sure enough it can open fully and gives you a clear view of the mountainside your fort is located on.

In front of each of the remaining walls rests a large uncut stone, a sort of platform or pedestal that someone could likely sit or stand on.

With little else to provide a hint the three of you set to work theorizing.

"Could it be some sort of defensive structure? Something to protect their army with?" Lyssa suggests.

"Perhaps," Thaïs replies, but she looks sceptical, "However we can not actually strike at their army from the fort and if we leave our defences when their main army arrives they should have the sheer magical power to crush us in the field."

You caution your friend, "Sure, but do they know that they outclass us to such a degree? Is that an assumption they can safely make?"

Your friend shrugs, "I suppose not but have we ever known the Watcher's minions to favour defence?"

You laugh, "I'll give you that. They tend to be rather direct in their methods. So if it is not a shield then perhaps it is a sword."

"What do you mean?" the witch enquires.

"Well," you begin, "Only one side of the building opens, the side that points directly at us. What if the whole purpose of this building is to channel power from a circle of mages to a specific point? Like some sort of giant magical cannon."

Your compatriots frown at the idea and Lyssa responds, "They might have used that rod to break our minds and take the fort without a fight."

A sobering thought indeed but it gives you an idea, "A definite possibility and something to worry about if that Creature were in charge but there've been no cases of shades employing mind control that I know about. I think it would have been less subtle than that. What would happen if they all channelled Dispersal Dreams through such a weapon for example or if they used it to mass cast some sort of elemental spell. They would wipe the fort out if they wanted to or at the very least kill our entire garrison from a distance."

"Is such a thing even possible?" your friend asks.

With a shrug you answer truthfully, "Honestly, I have no idea. However a mage can channel their spells through their staves to give them better direction. The same principle applies to swords, arrows and all sorts of items. So perhaps, if they installed the equipment necessary to direct their spells, they could work together to channel their spells towards our fort."

"Would archmages really be that willing to work together though," Lyssa reminds you.

"Hmm, good point, getting a group of undead archmages to cooperate like that on a spell would be quite difficult" you admit, "I almost wish we could spin this thing around and test my theory on the enemy army."

"Maybe we can?" Bari calls out from the doorway, "Couldn't we just punch out the opposite wall, slip a felled tree or something through the hole to act as a giant staff and start firing away as soon as the enemy come into view?"

The idea does make you smile, "Would we have time to set it up?"

He weighs your question as he moves toward the center of the room, "It might get a bit close but I think so, yes."

Astrid appears in the doorway behind him, "Why not simply rig the building to explode if anyone tries to use it to cast a spell?"

"You can do that?" you and your two colleagues ask in unison.

"Ah, we can do that?" Bari looks at Astrid and she nods, he grins, "Well damn, I guess we can do that!" he beams triumphantly.

Astrid elaborates, "If I start now I should be able to set up a trigger that will detonate the entire structure if any spell is cast through that opening. It would only take maybe forty minutes to completely set up. If they fire off a spell then the entire structure and everything in it will be destroyed."

"If they don't discover our tampering," you remind her.

"Well, yes," she grudgingly admits, "It would be conditional on their continued ignorance of our act of sabotage. However I could also install a secondary trigger to set off the an explosion should anyone try to tamper with my devices. It would take more time though... maybe an extra twenty minutes."

Hmm, you might not have time for that with the enemy army less than an hour and a half away.

The quickest option would be to simply destroy the structure but there is not really anything of value here to destroy, it would be a simple matter for the enemy to rebuild the building should they desire so your inclination is to leave it standing and save the ammunition if you do not intend to do anything with it.

Before you can fully appraise your options however Bari produces a single wrapped text with a wide grin, "Guess what we found in one of the tents."

You take the tome from him and unwrap it, discarding its red velvet covering, to reveal a pristine white tome.

Astrid crosses the room to join your group, she speaks with confidence and wears a self satisfied grin, "Our friend the Creature seems to have lost something and leave it to a Pathfinder to find that which is meant to be hidden."

You and you colleagues glance at one another, "Could it be his spellbook?" your friend guesses.

"That or his journal," you answer with a laugh. You try to open the book but it is warded and refuses to budge. You suppose it really would be too easy for it to simply yield under the most basic of attempts to pry out its secrets.

There is a single loose sheet sticking out of the tome however. Out of curiosity you snatch at it and carefully but persistently begin to pull. Whatever spells keep the book from opening do not seem to prevent you from sliding the page out and as you examine it your joke suddenly becomes far more plausible.

"This must be from a few days ago," you mutter as Lyssa and Thaïs crowd around you and you read the note together in silence.

Dear Diary,

Outplayed again!

It is magnificent! It is wonderful, and joyous and unrivalled in its splendour!

Never, well, not in centuries at least, have I felt this alive!

And it is all thanks to that charming pair of creatures. I will, no I must possess such a pair of minds! They will be the crown jewels in my collection. This must happen, will happen but I am getting ahead of myself.

To think that our trap would itself be a trap!

Gullveig claims that it was all chance but I know better! I know that it was a trap! The publication of Blackrock's change in ownership was a mere ploy, a ruse to draw us out! It has to be! No one could be that lucky! No one could be that foolish! And to think I only found out when I resurrected at the secondary temple site instead of the Grand Temple but again I must pause and return to the beginning, organize my thoughts.

From what I have been able to piece together this plot must have taken months of careful planning to stitch together. It began with the assassination of our agents in Myrgard, a bold move indeed that set our operations there back by at least two months. At the time though we could not even begin to comprehend the enemy we were facing.

Next came the destruction of our northern army by a handful of 'heroic adventurers'. If only that lie were true but the truth is so much worse.

Then came my first meeting with those delightful mages. My first defeat in an age, only true mages, only minds honed and trained by the greatest of archmages (the 'master's' pride be damned for the Enemy is the greatest of mages indeed), I say only minds trained by Mazzarin himself could have been so devious, so clever, to trap me with a truth presented as a lie and meant to be more than a mere distraction! A trap within a trap, a brilliant deception!

But still their fiendishness builds. They knew that once we knew about their connection to the Enemy that we would be compelled, forced in fact, to pursue them. So what did they do then dearest diary? Why I shall tell you!

They purposefully published and spread the knowledge of their takeover of Blackrock Securities to draw us into an attack. Naturally I chose my best agent for such a raid, may the bitch freeze forever in the blasted caverns of hell for her treachery, but how was I to know! How could I even dream that she was in secret alliance with the Enemy! Ah, but hindsight is a glorious thing for now I see it clearly. Every little act of rebellion from dear, sweet Nanshe. Such a brilliant mind that one and one day she too will serve!

But returning to the matter at hand I must admit how shocked, how taken aback, I was by this turn of events. The 'Great Champion of the Light', Mazzarin himself, in collusion with a ghôl princess of all people, simply magnificent.

I must say, diary, that I pride myself on my ability to detect deception but I did not suspect such a deep and secret alliance at all. I applaud my enemies for their skill even as I damn them for their daring!

Which brings me finally to my reason for writing, the Great Temple is no more! While I fought Mazzarin's lieutenants at Blackrock the archmage himself descended upon the temple with an army of horrors the likes of which the world has never seen! With amethyst flames and bolts of crimson magic they flayed flesh from bone as great rays sailed through the air upon currents of plum energy.

Even then though we may have repelled the attack had not the ghôls risen against us on the very same night! They cast down my master's priests and shattered his idols before fleeing into the desert with Nanshe at their head!

Worse yet, to add just a hint of insult to this grave injury she stole my pet, dear Grip, and robbed me of my messengers!

Oh, in one night to see such damage done! To see such a masterful and coordinated strike against our interests! Yes we are dealing with true masters my dear diary!

But there is a way to reverse our recent fortune, I am sure of it.

Those mages, those lovely, enchanting creatures, are surely agents of the Enemy. In league and privy to his most terrible secrets! If I can but defeat them, capture them, then all of his secrets will be mine! We will find him where he hides! We will track down the rebels and destroy them! We will win and it will taste all the better for the trials we will have endured to achieve victory, of this I am certain.

The three of you stifle your laughter.

"Wow, just wow," Lyssa begins, "This guy is completely insane and he wants you two bad."

"I am fairly certain that after today you are on his list too Lyssa," you remind her with a gentle nudge.

Thaïs grins, "Yes, I imagine he will be writing about 'those three maddening creatures' from now on."

"Does it say anything else of importance," Astrid asks.

"No, I am afraid not," Thaïs casually replies, "It is just a great deal of raving about how badly he wishes to 'possess' Derryth and I."

"Yeah, it is just really creepy," you add. It would be best not to mention Mazzarin or Nanshe until the three of you are alone and have some time to properly discuss the impact of your decisions. For the moment though you need to decide if you want to use the building for anything or simply destroy it.

1. The Structure: Do you want to attempt to do anything with it?

A) 'Spike the Cannon' - Rig it with enough explosives to destroy it and everything in it if a spell is fired from it at your fort.

i. You will set up only a single trap that will fire if the structure is used to launch an attack. This will take less time but if discovered would be easier for your enemies to deal with.

ii. You will step up your trap with second trigger that will destroy the structure if the enemy attempts to dismantle your trap. This will take more time and risk the arrival of the enemy vanguard but it should prevent your trap from being easily dismantled.

iii. "Instead of rigging the trap mechanism we use our extra time to set up an appearance of us trying to blow the place up from the outside and failing to do so due to the lack of time, leaving an 'obvious' trap for enemy to disarm to lull them into a false sense of security while they are oblivious to the real one.

We send our slower forces ahead, and then withdraw on the chariots, trying to wreac havoc among the pursuers and inflict as much damage as possible."

iv. "Rig the place and use something unique as a detonator/trigger placed on top of the hut. If the trigger is removed, the place explodes. Once we get away, we keep an eye on the hut. If a mage enters it, we cast Retrieve Item on the detonator. There is a line of sight, and we have a spyglass."

B) Turn it on the invading army - It is built for eight mages not three but you do have a decent supply of Energon Cubes and you are at full strength. You could probably get off a few spells if your theory is correct and you work quickly. Of course you may also be wasting your time.

C) You leave it standing. There is nothing special about it that can not be replicated so you will save your ammunition for the actual battle.

D)Turn it on the invading army. However, prepare to just blow it up and make a quick run for it if the enemy gets too close. You will send all your infantry away immediately to avoid risking them. You will retain a small but mobile force of chariots to help to try and secure a rapid escape.

E) Turn it on the invading army, cast what you can and then sabotage it. While you 'turn' the cannon around and complete it, your allies will rig it to explode. When you are done they will activate the trap and leave the structure. This is not without risks however, the most obvious of which is that you will be required to use the building while it is being wired to explode.

F) freeform

2. The White Mage's Spellbook/Diary/Tome: What do you do with it?

A) Keep it - Who knows what information is in it, it may prove incredibly valuable.

B) Destroy it - Who knows what defences it may have, it may be incredibly dangerous.

C) Take it then cover it in lead as soon as possible.

D) freeform

3. Long term planning. Provided you make it back to the fort without any difficulties (injury/death) you might want to look into plotting your next ploy. It is difficult to say how long this siege may drag on for and there are a few things you could experiment with that may yield interesting results. (You can pick more than one option but it will split the characters' attention and efforts so progress may be slower (checks will be higher) based on the number of things you try to do at once.)

A) Prepare Foci - If you are going to have to fight archmages then a boost to your willpower could be quite useful but to cast the Strengthen Will ritual will require new foci. It will require Lyssa to build them from corpses and will take about a week to prepare.

B) Test animal teleportation - Lyssa's eagles have procured for you three small hares. After a great deal of negotiation and a few rather substantial promises (involving a large quantity of fresh vegetables) Lyssa has convinced the hares to let you experiment on them and provide feedback. These experiments are likely to take some time and may involve the creation of new spells but the ability to create small gates to move animals over large distances could prove quite useful.

C) Gate preparations - Should you want to gate soldiers into or out of your fortress it will require precision timing and a through understanding of the surrounding terrain. You will use a combination of Lyssa's eagles, human scouts and the memories of your soldiers to get a clear picture of the surround terrain and locate the safest points to send soldiers to or pick soldiers up from.

D) Improved explosives - You will set Berty and the Pathfinders to work devising explosives specifically designed to work with your retrieve item spell (and similar spells). This will require your input in providing design specifications and in testing the devices but will largely be dealt with by them.

E) Crack the White Mage's tome - who knows what sorts of information it may hold but it will likely take time to unravel the wards on it. (Naturally this option can only be chosen if you chose to keep the book.)

F) freeform

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Party/Organizational Changes:

Party Changes:

Show Spoiler
    Not much really.

Derryth:

Lost the following items:

1. Four Mandrake Roots

Lyssa:

Pet status update:

1. One eagle sent to Albrecht in Myrgard

2. One eagle sent to intercept your forces on route from Stoneheim

Organizational Changes:

Show Spoiler
    Essentially nothing. Your allies burnt through some more explosives setting up traps and IEDs but your actual organization did not change at all.

Rolls:

Show Spoiler
    Very few rolls for Derryth and her group in the update. There were a couple checks that I can't reveal and that is about it. There were also a few 'knowledge' checks made by you and your allies to determine what sorts of plans you came up with though naturally I can not tell you who rolled well or not.

There were a number of movement checks for the enemy army and some rolls for the Pathfinders setting up explosives.

There were also a number of generalized rolls for events occurring elsewhere but all those are secrets.

The Thin White Mage has also had a number of rolls in the past that I can now briefly mention. He has been required to roll 'Derryth and Thaïs Paranoia Tests' (DTPTs ;) ) and he has been failing miserably from what you have seen. It is likely that he thinks you are directly or indirectly responsible for every bit of bad luck he has encountered in the last few weeks (if not months). In essence you are everywhere. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Maya is eight. Anansi is nine. So at least a few years yet. ;)

They all have names and personalities. It you want I could list that information.

If you want a proper familiar then you will have to pick up at least a few animal spells to get the most out of them.

If you asked Lyssa for one of her pets she would be reluctant but might agree if she really trusts you. The larger hurdle would actually be convincing the eagle to leave Lyssa as once an animal is bonded that way they do not generally change masters. You could always get your own familiar(s)/pet(s) though if you really want to.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yet another falls victim to a futile attempt at understanding the workings of the codexian Hivemind. :lol:

Sure. They have done more than enough to earn it. Not every human can boast they have killed an archmage.

Well, it depends on how reasonably higher the checks would be.

For example, I really want to set in motion my suicide (except not really) mouse bomber plan, for lack of better options to take the TWM out on his next visit. It also allows us to remotely detonate explosives with a proper modification of a 'Retrieve Item' spell. Might be useful.

But the way I see it, different teams working on different tasks should not set the bar up too high. I mean, what help can Berty and our grenadiers/Pathfinders provide us with animal teleportation? What help can we be to them if we have no idea about mechanical devices? Why would that affect the checks in any way?

Now, if we pick two magical tasks with only 3 mages to choose from, or two mechanical tasks - I can see this as splitting our attention.

How many skilled mechanics are there in the Fort? Who would be able to help Astrid fix the mortar if that is at all possible?

Very tempted to rig the building full of explosives instead of testing a theory that we don't know is correct, don't have that many supplies to make it work, don't have the numbers to pull it off effectively, and don't have the spells to really do damage to an army that is just barely short of a thousand bodies. Still, it might have some unexpected results. Channeling our combined spells at their maximum efficiency could do a fair bit of damage, but can we target the mages? They are the ones that will give us trouble.

On the other hand, the explosives are set to detonate in case a shot is ready to be fired, which means there will be a guaranteed mage inside. Maybe even several. It might be worth the risk.

The diary might contain the information on how the White Mage came to be. Seeing how we are short on any leads on how to end him permanently, discarding it would be a folly of a highest caliber. We might want to consider that it was left there on purpose, though. After all, why would the wards be there if TWM didn't expect anyone to read it? Unfortunately, we can't send it away, since it might contain some rather sensitive information... or can we?

^ Top  
  5. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I agree with Nevill that we shouldn't waste energon cubes and put ourselves at risk trying to use their pagoda cannon untrained. I think the army seeing us leaving the structure would increase the chance that they would take a closer look for our explosives then if we just booby trapped it and cleared out before they arrived.

The book we keep but don't attempt to do anything with it till after we are free of the risk of direct combat. If there is some type of trap spell that can kill or disable us we don't want to be taken out during the siege and leave our defenders mageless. We should put it back in the case and lock it up. We can take it to the academy if we survive and have them help us open it.

I liked Nevill's rat saboteur plan. I think we can do animal gate and explosives with our girls and the pathfinders and then let Lyssa build us a focus.

Votes:

1.Ai
    2.A
    3.ABD

^ Top  
  6. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    It also sounds like if we take out this secondary temple we might not have a problem with our stalker reincarnating. Maybe we should put some effort into finding it.

It also occurs to me a rat with a ring of fire bolt would be a better failsafe for our trap then spending time rigging a secondary trap. He hangs out in a hole with line of sight on the structure and if he sees anyone digging out our explosives, he fires the bolt to detonate and then runs for the keep and the eagle retrieves him. Lyssa would have to make the call if she thought the rat was smart enough to follow those orders.

^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    1Aii
    2A
    3BDE

^ Top  
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    It occurs to me, that if we keep keeping TWM amused, Mazzarin will have time to find and destroy the secondary temple at his leisure. I'm quite certain Mazzarin is pleased with us so far, keeping TWM focused on us.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I am not sure Mazzarin even knows who TWM is. I mean, he is all about the size of his magical penis as compared to others, and the Creature hardly breaks any records, being weaker than even the weakest of the Shades.

THe reason TWM is dangerous is because he is capable of thinking outside of the box... when he bothers to do so. It is certainly the craftiest of our opponents to date, sans Miosguinn.

I don't want to pursue too many plans at once. I think spending a week to construct a focus is not feasible in our circumstances, and the willpower boost is a poor compensation for the raw power the Shades possess. We are better off not confronting them directly at all.

Researching the White Mage's journal may prove rewarding, and even crucial to our victory - but I still believe it was meant to be picked by us, and the single sheet of paper was meant to ensure we will take it with us in case of the Creature's demise. I am afraid of the implications that might follow.

Does anyone have any idea of how to sneak our Stoneheim troops in without a Gate Spell? Maybe we should try that avenue of research.

Aii A BD for now.

The structure is not yet finished. By the time it will be, the place will be crawling with the undead. There is no guarantee we would be able to send anyone to activate the trap when we need it - or that they would be able to remain undetected until then, if we go with the ambush.

I am still debating whether to go Ai or Aii, but I don't see a reasonable alternative just yet.

^ Top  
  10. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    The foci are for when the dwarf army comes to break the siege and we need to sally forth to keep them from escaping. This gives us a much bigger casting pool and massive will saves. Worse case scenario the keep falls and it wouldn't matter anyway. If we don't need them and make them at least we have them for the future.

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I thought about whether or not I want to pursue them in this case... and I don't.

With the main temple destroyed, a dwarven army entrenched in the mountains, and Mazzarin waiting for them around the corner, I am considering our job here done.

Really, we are way, way over our heads here. I'd like to survive, first, and then worry about what to do with the remnants of the broken undead army.

The funny thing is that if anyone else shares the TWM's sentiments about us being key to Mazzarin's plans, I think they might be willing not to withdraw even when the army shows up.

We only have 3 mages to work with, so I'd like to concentrate on one task at a time. It would be nice to have foci, sure; it would also be nice to do Gate research and look into the journal, but I don't know if we have enough time and resourses for everything.

^ Top  
  12. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    1D - Turn it on the invading army. However, prepare to just blow it up and make a quick run for it if the enemy gets too close.

2C - Take it then cover it in lead as soon as possible. It seems we can carry it for now but we shouldn't mess with it until it's safe.

3ABD - Trying to cast a Gate spell is pushing it right now. We don't have it mastered yet, and we only have 3 mages instead of the proper 5 (but we do have a ton of energon cubes). It would also take all our time teaching it to everyone. Plus we don't know what would happen if enemy mages try to tamper with the spell. However with B and D we can improve our knowledge of this school of magic and make use of it. A is also a given. E is too risky, since the page we got seems to be bait.

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The four you have encountered so far are:

Jatayu - He is arguably Lyssa's favourite (though do not tell the others that). He is very protective of his master and has a strong tendency toward heroics and 'leaping before he looks' which can get him into trouble. But it is also easier to convince him to do something truely insane. He carried your ring in the attack on the Thin White Mage and is currently searching the area for your Blackrock mercenaries.

Ocypete - She is the fastest of Lyssa's eagles and the one she sent to Muirthemne. She can be quite clever though she also has a tendency to get annoyed quickly and she is not terribly forgiving when someone wrongs her or her mistress. She also has the best command of Bruig amongst Lyssa's known, remaining eagles as she tends to range the furthest north when doing her rounds. She is likely somewhere between Muirthemne and Myrgard at the moment.

Aquila - He is the youngest of the eagles and runs a lot of Lyssa's short range messages. He is the most completely loyal of Lyssa's eagles and so held Thaïs' ring during your attack on the Thin White Mage though he was fairly certain it would get him killed. He is not terribly optimistic but because he rarely expects a good outcome he is also very difficult to discourage. He is currently with Lyssa.

Calaeno - She is quite intuitive if a little dark in nature. Lyssa trusts her judgement the most out of all the eagles but she is rather secretive in nature. She is currently on route to Myrgard.

There may be others as well if they survived.

No way to know. Choices that involve completely separate groups of people are not likely to raise the difficulty of the checks at all while selecting a lot of tasks that require the same people is likely to lead to problems (there is, as always, an element of luck though).

All the Pathfinders (except Alvis) have some skill with machines but only Astrid really excels at it. Berty is also quite good at improvising things but he has no real formal training.

That rats are smart enough to do it if given proper motivation. The problem is that they have not received the sort of training and conditioning necessary to ensure that one would stay put and actually follow through with the plan over a long period of time (hours). It might work but Lyssa can not guarantee that the rat won't wander off with your ring and never come back.

The rodents (at least for the time being) are a cross between conscripts and mercenaries as opposed to truly loyal allies like the eagles.

Added.

Added.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, it's going to be hard to disappear if animal teleportation works as advertised. :)

Still, we have a contingent of 15 rodents to work with, and Lyssa has a few days to get to know them. That increases our chances to find somebody who would be interested in our offer.

Besides, it's either a life in the wilderness among the predators, or eat-what-you-can in a comfy fort for a quick bit of work. The mice that settled here clearly have a taste for a certain lifestyle. :)

^ Top  
  15. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    B>Aii
    A
    BDE

^ Top  
  16. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Fangshi, I've got a few adjustments to 1D. Since we're not making tricky preparations to GTFO, is it possible to set up the archers to nail the enemy as they advance and buy us some time? The arrows can fire from beyond the shades' range, right? If they just retreat as they keep firing into the enemy, they should be able to get a few volleys off and slow down the enemy. Maybe we could get off a mortar shot too. Actually, can we use Strong Wind right now to amplify our archers' and pathfinders' firing range to something ridiculous?

I basically want to burn through a lot of cubes right now to inflict a ton of damage on their invading party with all sorts of spells before we make a run for it.

Grimgravy, care to flop to 1D and 2C? They're basically better versions of 1B and 2A.

^ Top  
  17. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Hmmm can we prepare the trap in hut, use spells once or twice and set on the trigger while exiting?
    If we will use cannon at least once i doubt that they will check, if it work.

"In essence you are everywhere. :lol:"
    We are certain god of wisdom, Shulgi for pals.

1)E?
    2)C- is ok, but mby firstly put it in some box to make sure book wont be destroyed
    3)A- Lyssa should be able to do it quite easily by herself till actuall ritual
    B- first step into quick personal gates
    D- mostly pathfinders job

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    ^ Top  
  18. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    It is possible but a bit risky. You ask Ceannard and Bari for an evaluation and this is what they tell you:

Your enemy's ranged units are faster than your own. Not by much mind you but they will be able to catch you if they pursue at top speed and without regard to casualties.

An average soulless has a range equivalent to an average bowman. An average Shade (if an archmage can be said to be 'average') has a range equivalent to a regular mortar, at least when it comes to their Dispersal Dream. So on range things would normally be even.

However you are using Black Arrows and Pathfinder Mortars which give you a slight edge when it comes to range. If you are willing to leave Lyssa amongst your battleline then she could also likely call up winds to increase your range a little more.

On the damage front your archers hit harder than their soulless but their Shades hit harder than your mortars and have no limit on the damage they can do if you are bunched too closely together so that should be taken into account.

They also substantially outnumber you.

So it might be able to do a sort of rolling retreat provided you are not overrun by the enemy's forces.

That is all your captains can tell you at the moment unless you want more specific information.

Yes but you would not be able to connect the trigger until after you are done using it or you would blow yourself up. And there may be some general risks involved with casting spells in a building rigged with explosives.

Astrid would likely have to stay behind until you are done and then try to sneak away or jump on the last chariot out. It would be close but doable if you want to try.

Just let me know and I will add it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    1E) Use building to spell a bit, afterwards trap the hell of it and evacuate.

If we have over half hour we could make some traps, fetch a mortar or prepare some points to give us cover while retreating (could use remaining chariots) to buy some time. Astrid is only patchfinder required to do so? If so can rest set some surprises for arrivals or they have something like smokescreen mortar shell to obstruct vision of spell casters?

^ Top  
  20. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Fangshi, would either of the wards we know help blunt the dispersal dream cast by a shade?

^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Yes that is doable and Alvis, Stori and Ori are working on it while you handle the 'cannon'. It is likely they have a few surprises set up already though Derryth does not know specifically what they are yet.

They do have signalling grenades and shells so they probably could lay down a quick and dirty smokescreen if they had to.

Not as they are. There are a few possible, theoretical leads you could pursue but it would take time, research and a lot of effort.

The Dispersal Dream has been around for thousands of years and so far the only real defence from it is to kill the caster before the spell is thrown or to avoid being targeted all together. Some archmages can shrug it off but they don't do it by shielding themselves, they do it by making themselves near impossible to kill/hit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Actually, we may have a unique opportunity here, as our strike force is really small.

Slow forces:
    5 Pathfinders
    17 Archers (or less)
    6 named characters (Neel, Ceannard, Derryth, Thais, Lyssa, Uttu)

Carriers:
    12 chariots (or less)
    11 drivers (or less)

Now, we may have sent some of our chariots to the fort with the wounded and with the Black Rod, but we have an hour until the enemy arrives, the fort is only 40 minutes away if we go there on foot, and the chariots are much faster than that. We should be able to get them back if we want them, no?

With the number of characters we have, we can set up our retreat this way:

X - - - - - - - - -> X1 - - - -> X2 ---------------------------------------------> X3
    ...........................................<-----------..........................................
    Y----------------------------------------------> Y1 - - - - > Y2 - - - - - - - - > Y3

Group X retreats on foot, while group Y does so on the chariots. After a while, the chariots dislodge group Y at point 1 and go back to pick up group X. They do so at point 2, while group Y moves on foot. Finally, both groups are reunited and the cycle begins anew.

This should give us an edge in speed, granted to us by sheer composition of our forces.

What say you, Fangshi? Legit or not?

^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Are you asking can it work? Sure.

Will it work? Who knows.

Soulless and Shades are faster than your infantry though so you will have to be careful.

There are two ways Ceannard and Bari can see that going wrong besides obvious mistakes in timing and coordination among your men.

The first is not too damaging, if your enemies realize that they can not easily reach you then they will simply give up their chase and your strategy will be undone.

The second might be a greater cause for concern. If they throw 300+ Soulless at your X group right from the start it is unlikely that you will be able to get to them in time to escape.

Also keep in mind that the path to your fort is winding and Soulless can float.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Would it matter if we have both X and Y? It's 14 archers and 1 mortar against several hundreds of Soulless.

Also, it's not like we can't send some people ahead. We only need Astrid to set up the trap, the rest are just luxury. In fact, we can send half of our forces home right now and only leave enough people to fit on the chariots - if we are so inclined.

I know I want to bait them out, though. Dangle the target right before their noses.

There was one mission in the original Myth Campaign. I believe it's this one.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

I'd like to play it similarly here, but I don't know if the conditions are the same.

Also, can we make it look like we intended to blow up the building from the outside, rather than from the inside, but didn't have enough time to do so?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.