Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Think of all the money we will make supplying the dwarven army with Melete's inventions to counter the sudden ghol threat that came out of nowhere. :M

    Of course, some of the weaponry might find its way to the store of Brothers Dietfried for the right price...

    Disappearance of the Golden Empress with her subsequent retirement to the isle of Leix? It could happen. :D
     
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. archaen Arbiter Patron

    archaen
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2014
    Messages:
    622
    So who wants to bet that was our caravan?
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The funny thing is, once we finally get to it, ours would be the only caravans safe from ghols. I don't think Nanshe would want to attract our attention needlessly. It never ends well for anyone. Well, at least until she really musters enough forces to try and take the dwarven capital.

    That might lead to increase in profits as more and more merchants would desire the protection of the Blackrock Securities. :|

    A strange situation we've found ourselves in, indeed, caught between the two nations with a millenia long history of hatred and genocide.

    But I guess this is the least of our worries right now.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    And i thought Nanshe is reasonable and smart. :roll:
    Shame she will die trying to attack capital i doubt we will let her burn our friends and profits. Guess we cant save people with death wish. Oh well mby she will get memo when we deal with undeads that starting anything against us is quite retarded idea.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    I will close the vote when the tie on Thaïs' Ring is resolved. If it is resolved in the next four to six hours then I should be able to get an update out within sixteen hours. Otherwise it will be within thirty six hours hopefully.

    For the other options the current winning choices are as follows:

    1.E, 2.D, 3.A, 4. Derryth - Heal, 5.A
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,288
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Fangshi You can swap my ring votes to resolve the ring tie as Nevill said.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Alright then, the vote is closed. The update should be out within sixteen hours, time permitting.

    You will have your reinforcements search for Bari, Neel and the charioteer while remaining hidden but you will not link up with them.

    You will tell them only enough for them to get by and you will instruct them to get the rest of the details from Neel and Bari.

    You will not accept the demon's deal.

    Derryth will store a heal spell while Thaïs will store a Greater Energy Bolt.

    And finally you will start working on Operation Mole Hill.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Chapter 46: The Battle of Blackrock V

    Stale bread and salted pork. Some breakfast.

    You are taking your meal in your tower as Thaïs briefs you on recent developments.

    It seems that Lyssa has had mixed results with digging holes under the enemy camp. The pair of hares you originally set to work on the task began to behave strangely after a half hour of digging near and under the black tent. Not five minutes after that they wandered off. You have since ordered your rat guards and their marmot 'volunteers' to work in five to ten minute shifts. It will take more time but hopefully will prevent further loses though part of you remains concerned. If the hares have been compromised then the enemy might know you are trying to setup some sort of trap. They have not acted yet which may suggest that they are unaware of your plans or they may merely be waiting for something else before they spring whatever trap they have devised.

    It is merely one more worry to add to a growing list.

    Your reinforcements have been in regular contact, they have begun to explore the tunnels looking for a discrete way to reach Bari's last known location. They have found nothing yet but you remain hopeful. They have also managed to gain a better picture of the enemy force you are up against. Seems they brought a few scouts of their own along as well. They seemed concerned about their recent discovery of the presence of a Shade in the enemy camp. You managed to pass off your lack of complete honesty with them for a general concern over security. You are not entirely convinced that they have accepted your excuse but to their credit they have not abandoned you, at least for the time being.

    Finally you have yet to receive word from Albrecht and that worries you most. What is he doing? Why has he not sent help?

    Despite all these concerns though, you still have trouble properly focusing. Your mind wanders, perhaps as the result of a lack of proper sleep, perhaps due to the dim light filtering through your window. Outside the sky resembles a sheet of granite, great grey clouds slowly drift along obscuring the sun and lulling you to sleep. You know though that as soon as you close your eyes memories will assail you. You have not been keeping up with your sessions with Thaïs and without each other's help your imprinted memories are organizing themselves as best as they can. When this is over you are going to have to have a long session to sort through all the impressions and information that assults your dreaming mind, until then you will just have to make do with the little time you have.

    You give your head a shake and shove a wad of meat into your mouth. It is just as horrible as you knew it would be but seven days into the siege you can not be too picky.

    You wash the tough pork down with a swig from a half finished bottle of ale. It helps.

    "Should you really be drinking this early," Thaïs asks with a slight smile. She sits across from you at your tiny table, sharing your meal after your meeting.

    "Well," you reply with another slow swig, "Why don't you try some of that," you gesture at the pork on her plate, "And tell me."

    She cuts off a sliver and pops it into her mouth. Instantly she makes a face and gestures for the bottle.

    "So, not too early then?" you enquire as you slid the bottle from your left to right hand.

    She nods rapidly and mercifully you slide the bottle to her. She takes a great gulp of the thin drink, "Yes, thank you."

    She slides her plate away, "I don't think I can eat that."

    You slip her a sympathetic smile as you nimbly push the plate back, "Needs must when the devil drives."

    Her eyes light with the fire of memory, "Henry."

    "One of his favourites, yes," you return her warmth.

    She closes her eyes. The memory of the old man plays out for her, daintily she play with her food, "He would always say it before asking me-" she catches herself, "Us to do something horrible."

    "Or horribly boring," you add with a wink as you slide another piece of pork into your mouth. You are greeted with the simply wondrous taste of salt and gristle.

    She cracks an eyelid, you motion for the bottle and she slides it back.

    "It is odd," she begins quietly, "Having two sets of memories. Real memories I mean, not illusions or tricks, in my mind."

    You sound your agreement as you knock back the alcohol, as you lower the bottle she adds, "Not unpleasant though. I think I would have liked to actually meet Henry. Not in here," she taps the side of her head, "But out here," she gestures to the empty chair between you."

    "He would have liked you I think," you slide the bottle back to her as she dutifully saws at the rock on her plate, "I mean he probably would have hit on you," you add with a serene laugh, "But he would have liked you."

    She manages to choke down her mouthful with a healthy dose of drink and winks at you, "I know. Trust me, on both counts I know. Do you remember that time in Madrigal. The 'Bent Cock' I believe the place was called."

    That sets off a wave of laughter from you both, shaking your head you respond, "I do not know how the old man wound up naked with the Dean of Admissions for the Royal Institute-"

    "And her sister," Thaïs quickly reminds you.

    You grin grows ever wider, "And her sister," you repeat, "But I swear that man could talk his way out of a murder."

    Your friend's eyes sparkle, "If he had not, there would have been a murder."

    "Nah," you shrug it off, "Those two old cuckolds could barely hold their blades up," she passes the bottle back to you, "Either set of blades if you believe their wives," you add with a wink as you take another mouthful and slam back the drink.

    Your friend laughs melodically and soon enough you join her. Quickly a memory comes to you, "Oh, and how about the exploits of our dear 'family' in Scales?"

    Thaïs groans slightly, well aware of the memory you are referring to, "So the girls liked to drink a little. That is hardly a crime is it?"

    "No," you concede with a predatory grin, "But it sure led to a lot of crimes."

    You laugh together, as you slide the near empty bottle back to her, "Oh what was it Petra used to say?"

    At the mention of the 'grand, old dame' you both smile. After your, ah, her father died, Petra was arguably the most important person in Thaïs' life. She picked her up, dusted her off and helped her carry on.

    Your friend nods as the scene plays out in your minds, "It was just a little drink with our supper."

    She had asked you, no, Thaïs, to come over for a spot of dinner one crisp autumn evening. The last thing you remember you where both laughing merrily and drinking.

    You shoot back, "We woke up two days later in the middle of the evening."

    Thaïs grins, wagging her finger as she recalls Petra's words, "Yes and old Petra was there she said-"

    You nod along enthusiastically, finishing your friend's thought, your thought, "She said, 'Never ask what you did-"

    You finish in unison, "'It's better not to know!'"

    Once more you burst into laughter together.

    "I miss her sometimes," your friend mutters as the laughter dies.

    You give her a look of deep sympathy, "I know. Just like I miss Henry."

    "I know," she responds and empties the last of the bottle, "You were right that night. It does help to have someone to share this with."

    She grows quiet, serious, "Derryth, I-"

    Ah, you know that look. You know what she is going to say. It has something to do with the words 'like' or 'love' or something else suitably heavy and sufficiently charged.

    "I know," you reassure her, "I just-"

    Funny thing about your connection is that she knows your response even before you complete it. You have to wonder, does she know you that well or are you just a little predictable?

    "I know," she sighs slightly, "Now is not a good time."

    Hearing it out loud like that, it sounds worse than you intended. You feel the need to clarify your confusion, if that makes any sense.

    It probably doesn't but damn it you have to try.

    "Well, will it ever be a good time?" you are forced to admit, "We always seem to have someone trying to kill us. So, I was thinking, if we survive-"

    "If we survive," she nods, repeating your words, "I will get my answer."

    She does not phrase it as a question because it isn't one. She is right and you both know it.

    If you survive this you will have to give her a proper answer about where exactly the two of you stand, now and into the future. Anything else would simply be cruel.

    You feel the need to say something, anything, else but you lack the time.

    The door to your apartment burst open as the girls tumble in.

    "You have to stop doing this!" Biliku yells as she grasps her little sister by the hair.

    "But it is important again!" Uttu elbows her sister, "They need to know important stuff right away!"

    "They are busy! There is a," she searches for a word and grasps upon one with a look of triumph, "A protocol to follow."

    "Yeah, what is it?" the younger girl demands as she squirms.

    Biliku assumes a professional stance, tall and straight-backed, "You tell me, then I tell them and-"

    "You just want to hog all the glory for yourself!" Uttu stomps on sister's foot and pushes away from her.

    The older girl yelps in pain and surprise, "By the Goddess, I am going to kill you, you little brat!"

    "Thaïs! Derryth! Help me!" Uttu races across the room and dives behind your table.

    You hide a grin behind your hand.

    "Girls, you should not fight," your friend begins, the twinkle in her eyes tell you she finds this quite amusing but she puts on a stern face regardless. The woman is a natural.

    "Thaïs is right," you add with one hand still obstructing your smile, "Uttu, you apologize to your sister for hurting her," the kid nods and mouths 'sorry', "And Biliku there are better ways to go about this than wrestling her."

    Your 'bodyguard' nod, "Sorry Derryth. Won't happen again."

    "Good," your friend adds, "Now, what is all this business about 'important stuff'."

    "There is something in the sky!" Uttu shouts and gestures out the window.

    Slowly you get up and walk to the window. You lean outside and off in the distance you can just make out a pair of balloons lazily drifting your way from the north west.

    "Hmm," you lean on the window frame, "Thaïs come and have a look at this."

    She slips in next to you and leans out the window, "Are those dwarven?"

    She turns to face you and you beam at her, "Know anyone else that can fly?"

    "So Albrecht finally sent help," she replies with a wide grin.

    "Looks that way," you respond, "Seems they swung northward as well to avoid running into the enemy that are likely set up along the southern roads. That would explain at least part of their delay in getting here."

    "Well then, she takes you by the hand, "We had best get ready to receive guests."

    --------------------------------------

    You stand in your armour, with Thaïs on your right and Lyssa on your left. Hámundr with his dwarves and Myora with her mauls flank your little group, along the edge of the courtyard Ceannard and his archers stand ready as well. You do not know who or what is in those balloons but you will take no chances.

    The balloons slowly lower themselves into the courtyard and a dozen dwarves pile out.

    You do not recognize them but they all wear House Albrecht uniforms. They do not move like House Albrecht soldiers though, at least not any you have ever encountered. In fact if you had to guess you would say they are Pathfinders.

    Their leader approaches you, a great helm pulled tightly over his face. Quickly he unfastens it and you smile at the face that greets you.

    "Ladies," the dwarven champion gives you each a nod.

    "It is good to see you again Sir Argus," Thaïs responds with her usual deep bow.

    "How are you Argus," you slap him on the back, "Didn't want to miss out on all the fun?"

    The dwarf grins, "I suppose you could put it that way but perhaps we should talk inside."

    "Certainly, Myora will see to your men," the friend replies.

    The maul begins to shout orders to your soldiers as the rest of your command group moves inside.

    You will give Argus a proper briefing in one of the larger conference rooms, away from the rank and file.

    -----------------------------------------

    "Sounds like you have been busy," the King's Champion whistles as you conclude your tale.

    "Well we find a way to keep ourselves occupied," you reply with a smirk.

    "You have done this kingdom another great service," the dwarf nods respectfully, "At least four Shades dead by your estimation, over a dozen enemy mages slain, and their entire offensive blunted."

    You nod but the smile slips from your face, "Still, the bulk of their army is intact and their remaining commanders seem reluctant to expose themselves."

    "Well, I am sure we will think of something," Argus reassures you, "But that is no longer your problem."

    "What do you mean?" Lyssa interrupts to asks.

    Argus carefully studies her, "Well Miss Lyssa, what I mean is that you are all free to go. The King has authorized me to take command of the situation here and handle this threat. Mistress Derryth, Mistress Thaïs, you and the girls are to return to the palace as soon as possible."

    "What! Why?" you and your friend shout in unison.

    "In his Majesty's own words you are 'too valuable' to risk losing," the Champion replies with an apologetic glance, "He does not want to lose you or any of your team in a 'skirmish' I believe her called it."

    "Skirmish!" you object in unison.

    You begin, "This is not a Wyrd damned skirmish and I wrote as much to him!"

    Thaïs is right behind you, "This is quite possibly the Watcher's primary army we are fighting. We can not simply run."

    "Well you won't run," Argus winks, "You will fly," you both grumble in unison which just makes Argus grin wider, "Did you know it is quite odd when you two do that?" he waves off your annoyed stares, "Ah, sorry, maybe not the best time for a jokes. My pilots will see you safely back to Myrgard where you will help the king mobilize support. He is meeting a lot of opposition and many of the Lords would rather send the army south. We have not heard from Stoneheim in several days and many of the Lords are concerned about their trade interests there. Your words will count for a lot to convince them, at least the King seems to think so."

    "What about our people here?" your friend asks.

    Argus purses his lips, "Well, not counting the pilots and yourselves you could take eight."

    Ceannard chimes in, "I will not leave my men. I am under contract to defend this fort and I will do so until the end."

    Hámundr nods in agreement, "I would strongly recommend you ladies take the Champion's offer but I will remain as well. I must see to my men and I will find out the fate of my missing soldier."

    "Well we can't simply abandon everyone," you conclude.

    "What if you split up?" Myora suggests from the back of the room.

    You wince slightly in unison but nod, "We certainly could do that-"

    "But we would not be nearly as effective alone," your friend adds.

    Lyssa coughs, "I, I could stay. I know the plan and I can run the animals."

    "Are you sure?" you ask.

    She seems slightly nervous and fidgets, playing with her necklace absentmindedly, "Yes, I mean I won't lie. I feel safer with support but I am willing to stay if necessary."

    You and your friend look at one another the potential repercussions of such a decision clear to you both. If the three of you split up then you will be working on a strict schedule as the signals from your necklaces will begin to take their toll.

    Argus sees your hesitation and offers a way out, "His Majesty did say that you should leave but who am I to argue with mages? You could probably turn me into a newt if you wanted to!" he lets out a low, barking laugh, "I sure as hell won't force you to get in the balloons and to be honest I would feel more confident with the 'Heroes of the Kingdom' around. Just take a moment and consider your options."


    1. The Balloons, you have been offered a chance to leave. To escape and possibly to bring help. You choose to:

    A) Take Argus' Offer: You will go to the King and see what you can do to help mobilize the army. You just hope the fort will stand without your presence.

    B) You stay: The enemy has powerful mages at their disposal. If you leave you will be robbing the defenders of any magical support you could offer and you do not feel right about saving yourself at their expense.

    C) You split up: Some of you will return to the king and some of you will stay to help guard the fort. This would allow you to pursue both tasks at once but your team is far more effective together than apart. (Please state which characters will go where should you choose this option. Derryth, Thaïs, Lyssa, Biliku and Uttu are all available for either group while the rest might take some convincing to leave.)

    D) freeform


    2. Operation Mole Hill: Your hares are gone. You have managed to force a handful of marmots to continue the work however with a mixture of generous gifts and subtle threats. The digging stage of the plan is almost complete and soon you will have to commit actual resources to its success. However, the plan may have been compromised. Do you wish to continue with it? (If you elect to take all three mages with you then you will have to trust the rats to execute the plan by themselves using more mundane means. If a mage remains at the fort then the plan will proceed as previously written.)

    A) Yes, the payoff is worth the risk.

    B) No, you will think of something else instead.


    3. If you choose to stay (or send off only one balloon) then you will have the ability to moves small numbers of personnel between your Blackrock reinforcements in the field and the fort. Did you want to move anyone around?

    A) No, keep everyone where they are.

    B) Yes, (Please list names, quantities, and the like. Given how diverse the responses to this option can be, each will be counted separately.)

    i. Berty and the Pathfinders move to your Stoneheim group. You will send them with explosives and instruct them to destroy the enemy crates should the opportunity present itself.
     
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Party/Organizational Changes:

    Party Changes:


    Show Spoiler
    Derryth:

    1. Spell added to Gold Ring: Heal

    2. Gained the following skill: Impressions II: Drunk Luck - No matter what mischief Thaïs gets up to she always seems to land on her feet. Having lived through more of her memories you think you have a better understanding of how she does it. (Gives you a second chance to perform actions that require dexterity when under pressure or intoxicated.)

    Thaïs:

    1. Spell added to Gold Ring: Greater Energy Bolt

    2. Gained the following skill: Impressions II: Whiskey Tongue - Henry just had a way with people, particularly when he was inebriated or working on a deadline. Perhaps a little tension can be useful. From living through more of Derryth's memories of the man you think you might be able to put some of his strategies to good use. (Gives a bonus to charisma based actions taken under duress or while intoxicated.)


    Organizational Changes:

    Show Spoiler
    Nothing of note really.


    Rolls:

    Show Spoiler
    Not much that pertained to Derryth's group. Your animals made some rolls.

    Your reinforcements made some rolls. Argus and his balloons made a few rolls.

    Most of these had to do either with movement or with the specific actions you assigned them. Your reinforcements looked for your missing allies/personnel. They did about average.

    The animals acted as your emissaries, spies and general agents. Again mostly average, at least on the rolls I can tell you about.

    The Albrecht reinforcements also rolled for movement (though most of that was in the last update.)

    Other than that though this update was all talking. You gained another pair of traits from your memories and that was about it.

    There are a number of events happening elsewhere though and those required a great deal of rolls which I am sure you will find out about sooner or later.
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,189
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    A way out? Sorely tempted to take it... Must ponder.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    We can't leave our people without the only mage support they have. We stay and see this to the end.

    Besides, we need to minimize damage to our company. And the disposal of the White Mage - if he shows up - depends on magic, so there is that.

    That our animals have managed to dig the hole successfully in shifts suggests to me that the hares felt victim to some kind of passive effect, and were not actively targeted. It does not necessitate the enemy knowing our plan, it just means we need to be more careful with our forces.

    Not sure about moving people around. Me, I'd like to keep everyone - including our Blackrock troops - in the fort. Our search operations might benefit from the presence of a few Pathfinders, though, and I am sure they would not mind retreiving one of their own.

    1B 2A 3X

    What is the maximum altitude of our airships? I assume they operate well outside the range of javelins. If we are ever attacked or need to mount an offensive, I want to load them up with explosives and send them off on a suicide mission to carpet bomb the enemy.
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    ^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Out of javelin range yes. You do not know if the enemy has spells that can reach them though.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I wonder what is happening in Stoneheim. The Watcher's army in the south have numbered several thousands ghasts, after all. Easy pickings, even with the Shade around, but raw numbers are not to be underestimated. Plus, there was a mention about destroyed outposts in Nanshe's interlude. What could have got them?

    The worst thing about our relationship with Albrecht is that we can never be certain when he or Argus are telling the truth or half-truth, or even a complete lie. The lords impeding the army's arrival here might be a genuine concern, or it might be a ploy to get us out of dodge. You'll never know with these two.

    And where the hell is Calaeno? Why hasn't she returned once she passed the message to Albrecht? We could have used her to get wind of what is happening in Stoneheim.

    Fangshi, I want to ask our mercenaries if there was anything wrong with Stoneheim when they left, maybe any rumors or otherwise suspicious activities. It was only a week ago or less when they moved out.

    Can we ask Argus what they know of the rest of the Watcher's forces? We only know what we have seen with our own eyes.

    If all the crows left during our battle for the fort and headed straight to the Great Devoid, Albrecht's forces could have determined the number and the general location of the armies in the Watcher's employ - provided that each was escorted by the crows, - by observing the movement of the bird flocks.
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    ^ Top  
  14. archaen Arbiter Patron

    archaen
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2014
    Messages:
    622
    If Albrecht doesn't care about his border than why should we? Should we take the balloon and get everyone out when we get to the city using a gate spell? Now there is only one main shade we should be able to use our wisdom ritual to overpower her with our circle in any contest. Albrecht can put whatever sacrificial lambs he wants on the walls at that point. If he wants our people to stay and help defend the keep then he pays Ceannard prices to keep our forces and rent the keep.

    The early drinking and depressive atmosphere around our girls might be fatigue or might be some sort of general will sapping ritual that the enemy shade is using. If we stay we should ask the eagles if they notice anything different in how they feel when they get away from the general area.

    I am also suspicious that the eagle we sent them hasn't returned. If they kept her locked up or killed her then there is some plot afoot that we may not want to step into even if we do go. I am actually liking that we have an ally in the Ghol princess if the Dwarves are going to start dicking us around.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    There is a problem with that.

    First, moving to the city, even on an airship, takes a day. I am almost certain that the fort will be attacked as soon as we leave.
    The enemy knows we've received reinforcements now. They are not about to give us a chance to bring in even more, and they will not have a better opportunity to strike. It is simple logic, really.

    The battle might well be over by the time we reach Myrgard.

    It would also be poor form to flee now that we've tactically 'misled' our Stoneheim reinforcements and they decided to stay anyway. That would destroy our credibility as their leader.

    I don't think we are any more depressed than usual. The siege, the lack of commodities, the constant wait for the enemy to make their move, the stress of losing people, the uncertainity. I guess it all adds up.

    Well. It's the first time we've made our affiliations with eagles known 'officially'. There might be a reason for her absense.

    I guess we might ask Argus about that, since he promised us to tell what he knows the moment he hears anything about 'the riders, crows, or eagles'. Well, now would be the time.

    Also, Fangshi, did they bring any of the supplies we asked for? Any mortars or anything of a sort? Where are the other four airships?

    Can you please renew the list of our forces with these new additions?
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Alternatively, they might wait until they spring their trap, whatever it might be. Maybe we should direct our efforts towards scouting.

    Though this gives me an idea. We might be able to provoke the enemies into an attack if we make it look like we are leaving, as per this post. With an opportunity ahead of them, and with a threat of an army coming after them, they might strike at us before they are ready.

    But we should have a plan in place on how to make our presence count in that case.
     
    ^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    They write back:

    Yes.

    Some of the lesser lords have gone missing, it
    was assumed that a House was merely consolidating its position by removing competitors but none of the usual subjects seemed to know anything.

    There was also some sort of disruption in the poorer levels the day before we left but no one much cares what the peasants get up to really as long as they only kill each other.

    They don't know how big the Watcher's forces are or where they are based out of. They are unaware of the general composition of the Watcher's armies as well. Many of the Lords also claim that the threat is nonexistent. They claim that Albrecht is conspiring with you to manufacture a threat that does not exist in order to consolidate his hold on the Kingdom.

    Albrecht is aware that the Watcher has agents within Myrgard and perhaps Stoneheim but again he knows very little about their overall network or at least he has told Argus very little about it.

    If Argus is telling the truth then you know far more than he does thanks to your interrogation of Nanshe.

    On the topic of birds he has little to offer. He says that their outlying patrols did notice a few small groups of crows coming from the south west and headed to the north east but he does not know how many, where they were going or where they had come from in particular.

    They have done a fairly good job of killing any crows that are spotted in the open near the city so it is possible that the crows have simply avoided Mygard and the dwarven patrols.

    Just what you saw when they landed. A dozen dwarves in House Albrecht uniforms and two very small, empty boxes.

    Argus explains with a twinkle in his eye:

    The King has not been given permission to send out the balloons but he found a work around. Ice from the mountains surrounding the Great Devoid is considered a bit of a luxury item and an important status symbol in the Kingdom. Whenever the King holds a banquet he is allowed to send two balloons without consent from the Lords to retrieve fresh ice for the party.

    So he sent two balloons.

    He just happened to load them with Pathfinders instead of storage containers for the ice as the law only stipulated that the balloons each carry an icebox, not how large it had to be.

    So the King is in spirit acting against the wishes of the Assembly but they can not do anything about it except grumble. There was no room for supplies or mortars though.

    Sure:

    Show Spoiler
    The Lost:

    Mages:
    Derryth - mentalist
    Thaïs - mentalist
    Lyssa - illusionist

    Warriors:
    Biliku - sword and shield
    Uttu - bow
    Berty - unarmed/improvised

    Blackrock Mercenaries:

    Warriors:
    Myora - sword and shield
    Neel - bow (MIA)

    General Forces:
    13 Veteran Dwarven Grenadiers
    5 Veteran Human Sell-swords (with crossbows and bolts)
    4 Veteran Human Archers, 1 Veteran Human Archer
    4 Veteran Maul Warriors

    The Pathfinders:

    Warriors:
    Bari - thrown weapons (MIA)
    Astrid - thrown weapons
    Ori - sword and shield
    Stori - hammer and shield (Dead)
    Alvis - thrown weapons/staff, (Dead)

    General Forces:
    Twelve Pathfinders (each with cocktails, sword and shield)

    Equipment/Pathfinder Weaponry: (20 to a case)
    5 cases Improved Dwarven Cocktails, Four and a half cases Improved Dwarven Cocktails, Two cases Improved Dwarven Cocktails
    3 cases 'dwarven fire' grenades, Two cases 'dwarven fire' grenades
    2 cases fragmentation grenades, One and a half cases fragmentation grenades
    2 cases concussion grenades
    1 case flash grenades
    1 case smoke/signaling grenades
    1 case incendiary/white phosphorus grenades
    2 mortars, 1 mortar
    30 explosive shells, 24 explosive shells, 14 explosive shells
    10 incendiary/white phosphorus shells
    5 smoke shells
    15 illumination shells

    The Arrows:
    Warriors:
    Ceannard - bow/blade
    Otto - bow/blade

    General Forces:
    25 Black Arrows (Master Human Archers), 23 Black Arrows (four of which are injured.)
    40 Veteran Human Archers, 30 Veteran Human Archers

    Royal Guards:

    Warriors:
    Argus - sword and shield
    Hámundr - sword and shield

    General Forces:
    31 Royal Guards, 23 Royal Guards, 20 Royal Guards (One of which is missing)

    Equipment:
    14 Light Chariots, 12 Light Chariots, 8 Light Chariots
     
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,288
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  19. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Champion have arrived? Does he have a expert trackers? We could borrow one to help with search.
    Hmm i think that leaving fort without any mage isnt the best idea.

    Possible solutions worth thinking about IMO.
    1) We ignore King for now till we deal with siege and try to get back later. Best possible standing forces, but if army will march South it will increase time needed to send it here.
    2) We send Thais, Berthy and our personal bodyguards to capital to get reinforcements here. Thais will have some headache, but having girls nearby might help her with that a bit. She have best chances to convince people that helping this place is important.
    3) We send Ceannard or Myora to capital. Its possible that story from person who was on site and actually saw/fought Shades could convince nobles. Bad things. Myora dont sound like most charismatic person, still her no shit attitude might help here. Ceannard on other hand is much better at talking to people and is overall better suited to the task, but he will be pissed that we are ordering him to leave his man behind. Still Argus is one of best commanders in kingdom, so he will leave his men in good hands. Very unlikely to work.
    4) We pull back Derryth and Thais to capital to deal with nobles. Leaving fort less defended from magic. Pathfinders have experience with magicians, but taking into consideration that she is quite cautious they usual tactic might not work. Without Derryt we wont be able to cast Warrior mask on Argus to try cnt chain explosion dream.

    Personally im considering 2 followed by 1 and 4. Thais can use academy wizards/some power source to power Gate to come back quickly in case her mental state would become bad/situation on South actually need military intervention/no one give a dmn about sending reinforcements.

    Edit.
    Crap looks like Nanshe is on the move. Situation in South might be actually severe.
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's way too early for Nanshe to make a move. I don't expect the unification of ghol tribes to complete in less than a year. They are, basically, feudals, and not everyone of them fancies serving a monarch, I imagine.

    If Nanshe moves too soon, she risks being crushed before she has a chance to form the nation of ghols she have spoken about. It barely was a week since he fled into the desert.

    Nah, I think it's the Watcher again (the dude have been forced to act now that Mazzarin is kicking his ass), or the Eberhardt remnants stirring trouble.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    No trackers I am afraid. All the Pathfinders he brought belong to the secondary branch of the organization. None of them are agents.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Absinthe Prophet

    Absinthe
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2012
    Messages:
    3,202
    If we split up for 1, we should send Thais to the capital to handle politics, while Derryth and Lyssa handle the fort.

    The sanity loss shouldn't be a problem for Derryth and Lyssa with two of them and the Strengthen Will ritual.

    However, Thais will suffer some sanity loss. She does have a new trait that increases her charisma when under duress, though. Lyssa should definitely not stay alone because her sanity isn't strong even with the three of them together.
     
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    ^ Top  
  23. archaen Arbiter Patron

    archaen
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2014
    Messages:
    622
    We should send the commander of our body guard back to argue the case for our reinforcements. He is not directly affiliated with us, he is a high level Dwarven commander, and consequently his testimony should hold greater sway than ours with the Lords. If he is going to truly protect us he needs to get a relief army to us ASAP. Argus can take over the duty of protecting us and commanding his forces while he is away.
    C - Hámundr
    A
    X - Ask the pathfinders not working on the explosives and Berty if they want out to help look.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,288
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Archaen is right. Hámundr would be good for the job. Won't satisfy the king though, and he wouldn't want to abandon his charges/command.
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Now, hear me out.

    One of the reasons the Lords do not want to support us is that they suspect that this whole Watcher deal is a ploy by the King to gain more control. They think Albrecht is using you to make his actions look more legitimate.

    It's the King's scheme. Not yours. They only care whether anyone is affiliated with you or not because you yourself are involved with the King.

    Not, what you suggest is to send Hámundr, the captain of the Royal Escorts, a personal guard to the King Albrecht and his faithful servant to convince the Lords that everything the King says is true.

    Don't you see a problem with this?

    If anything, Hámundr is more affiliated with the King than you are. How come his word would carry any weight? How come his testimony would be better than ours if the King can order him to testify as he sees fit?

    At least we are mercenaries and adventurers from another country, not Albrecht's soldiers on a payroll.

    I don't think it will work, at least not any better than going there directly. Besides, Hámundr is not willing to leave his men behind just as much as we are.

    I think we need a third party here, or some physical proof. The Watcher's fragment would have been handy here, but for good or bad, it's buried under the tunnels.

    Failing that, have the King continue to pull the strings if he wants us alive all that much.
     
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.