Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Alright, I guess I am on board with 1.D 2.D

I always wondered where cranium rats came from...

Can we ask the mice at what rate their gift breeds true and what exact modifications are required to have them cast? Is their life span increased as normal mice only live about a year? This is why I am assuming these are descendants of the original gifted mice and not the originals themselves. If we are going to have an army of mice mages their training might take up most of their lives.

^ Top  
  2. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    They are the first in their respective families to be able to cast full spells and they need their drug to do so for any extended length of time however they both have parents and grandparents that demonstrated some magical aptitude. So based on that their talents seem to go back about two generations at least.

Some of their respective siblings can also channel a little magical energy but not enough to do more than create a tiny light or a single spark.

They do not feel comfortable enough to tell you what was done to them, though you could force that information out of them if you want.

They are eight and ten months old respectively and they do not know how long they will live. Their parents averaged three years and their grandparents averaged a year and a half. You have no way of knowing if that is a direct result of their previous master's experiments or if it was simply a side-effect.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    What do they think about the dwarves and the ghols?

If we are going to introduce a third faction in the struggle for world dominance, might as well see what their political affiliations are. :lol:

I'd especially like to know their opinion on the inhabitants of the fort, since those are the ones who will try to co-exist with them at first. I find it hard to imagine the dwarves will take their new neighbours seriously unless we specifically order them to (both of their positions are that of mercenaries in our employ, but it's a bit hard to accept a mouse as an equal), and it might backfire on them.

Were the mice present during the attack on the fort? Maybe they know what happened to the missing dwarves whose bodies we didn't find? Or maybe they know what was the deal with Rand and how he escaped into the tunnels while others did not.

Are they knowledgeable enough about the affairs of the fort to help us with this? They might have heard something.

Do they want to see more of their kind if it means someone else would have to go through the same procedures?

Basically, do they think it was worth it?

We hopped aboard the wagon that lets us train our own mice, but maybe they themselves don't think it is a good idea.

^ Top  
  4. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    They don't think much of anything about either group. As long as they are not directly threatened they do not much care.

They have nothing in particular against the inhabitants of the fort. They have lived most of their lives in the tower you have currently claimed for yourself so they have had little contact with most of the other inhabitants of the fort.

They were present and they hid when the attackers swept the towers. They have no idea what happened to the defenders as they were in the tower at the time.

The regular mice (that live in the lower levels of the compound) might know something but if they do they have not offered any information. You could try to threaten them or bribe them if you want or you could use spells to make them talk as well.

They don't know anything about that really. They were taught magic, experimented on and kept in the tower so they do not have a good understanding of what was going on in other parts of the fort.

Again the 'regular' mice might know but that would take a little negotiation on your part. If you provide them with a list of questions I will give you their demands... :lol:

They like being able to cast magic but it did hurt a lot and they are well aware that they are addicted.

For them, it is worth it, but they would have liked to be asked before they were experimented on. The were never given a choice and that bothers them a little.

They do not much care if there are more like them. In general they only care about their families and each other.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Alright, let's try it. :lol:

1) What happened to the missing defenders? Did they make it out of the fort or not?
    2) What was the deal with Rand? Did he come into contact with enemy forces? (I kind of doubt that, since there were ghols and TWM thought he had a huge advantage, so hiring Rand to capture us would probably be excessive, but still).
    3) What is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything? Somehow, I can't shake off the feeling these mice know more than they are letting on... :|:P

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Right. To answer each question this is what they want:

1. For question one they want your assurance that no cat or feline aligned party will be allowed access to the fort without at least two guards and a forty eight hour notice given in advance.

2. For question two they want 10kgs of cheese imported from Bibbiano in the south of the Province. You could probably acquire some in Myrgard though it would be a bit expensive. Since you have been fair with them so far they will accept your 'word of honour' on the deal. If you agree they will give you three weeks to acquire the cheese, or else...

3. Their negotiator gives you a wink and requests only time. That experiment, he insists, is still ongoing and some day they may just have an answer for you or maybe a question. You are not sure if he is being serious or simply having you on. ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, we (hopefully) don't plan to exterminate them, since they have proven themselves to be valuable allies. And I think the dwarves might appreciate having them around after they took down a Shade almost by themselves. However, I do not want to let them get completely out of control. If they, in turn, will promise not to steal or spoil supplies from the Fort, we can officially include them in our roster of forces and provide them with a fixed allowance - which also means they would have to watch their population and control it by themselves, sending the excess into the wilderness. It's better than being eaten by a cat, if you ask me.

All bets are off if they break the terms of contract, though.

Note to self: "Besides, there are always weasels".

I'll wait for the others to comment before I promise anything, though.

^ Top  
  8. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Ok if we will go with 1 we got to make some regulations of those rats. Like amount of food they using, population or if they aren't wiling to compromise mby teach them agriculture and possibility of starting alliance. WE WILL DOMINATE THE GANZE WELD MY FUHRER MUAHAHA. Rats are able to understand that our continued well being will be beneficial for them. After all we are people buying food for fort. Course they can migrate when things will start to go bleak. Usually leadership tend to loose heads when such things occur, so i guess they are receptive.

Hmm when we wake up inventor mby we can ask her to make miniature gliders and invigilator tools for rodent commando. We could find some plant wizard to make uber crops yields plants, might be nice business.

Oh and Fangshi i demand update of all rodent factions we met in here: "Known Organizations and their Relations with the Lost (based on last known information):". And we should spread the word of defeating one more horde of undead leaded by shades. PR is important those days.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Will this improve our mercenary company's reputation, by the way? The caliber of foes here seems a bit higher up than highway robbers, so playing up the role of our men in this would probably turn out to our benefit.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I second this. :)

And this. It is too hilarious to pass up. Besides, we've seen her make a mechanical bird already.

Shades? What shades? There never was an army of undead, to hear the Lords talk about it! :argh:

Anyway, back to the plan.

The air balloon is easily our most valuable asset. It packs more punch than all 50 of Ceannard's archers combined, it is extremely mobile, and there is no hiding from it. And Lyssa is essential for its continued operability and the survival of its crew. Therefore, I think we might want to shield her from certain eventualities as much as possible.

Is there anything we can do to play around the lightning storm like the one TWM cased, I wonder?

We should give Lyssa a spyglass to better assess the situation and properly prioritize threats and targets alike.

We should also have her use her aphids. The damn vial is sitting in our inventory for more than half of the chapter already, and I don't think there will be a better chance to use it. Spread the aphids among the living targets - there aren't that many of them in the first place. The small critters are going to be hard to shoot down, and if they bury themselves in mages' robes, they will have a hell of a time trying to get rid of the insects. Meanwhile they will either lose control over the horde and stop casting their spells, or run a risk of being blown up alive. That ought to disrupt the enemy plans.

That is, if they notice them at all. :) We can try and be sneaky with them, assassinating the mages before they understand what is happening. I imagine there are a lot of flies in the area with all those rotting corpses around.

Prioritize targeting the senior necromancers. Meta knowledge aside, it stands to reason that the older they are, the more experience they would have. The archmages can mask their age, but humans can not.

We should also establish an emergency signal. If we get in danger of being surrounded, or the enemy will one-up us somehow, have Uttu fire her flash arrow. That will signal to Lyssa (or maybe to all troops?) to drop whatever she is doing at a time and come back to help us. Whether it means carpet-bombing the forces trying to surround us, confusing them with illusions, attacking the enemy mages with aphids or what-have-you is up to her.

So, in short:
    - Give Lyssa the Heaven Stone
    - Give Lyssa a spyglass
    - Prioritize hitting the older mages
    - Make use of aphids
    - Establish an 'SOS' signal in case things go south

Any additions to this list, or maybe objections?

^ Top  
  11. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Mouse diplomacy.....ugh. Flopping to straight CC.

^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Sure, I will add them sometime today when I have a moment to flip through the file.

Edit:
    Alright, I have added the rodents of the Fort to the faction list. Though doing so has probably raised more questions than it answered... If anyone has any questions then feel free to ask.

It might. It will depend on how the story gets told and who is doing the telling. Some of the Lords might argue that there never was a danger to begin with and that you were only fighting lesser talents. They will demand physical proof of the presence of a Shade which will be difficult for you to provide, however you do have a lot of witnesses (though none of them are neutral parties) and Albrecht might be interested in spreading your story through his network of agents.

I will add them to the R&D list when you next get a chance to advance the timeline provided you have the time and resources necessary.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Azira DD
    Nevill DD
    Kz3r0 DD
    Jester DD
    Grimgravy CC
    archaen DD

A)
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D) 5 votes

A)
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D) 5 votes

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Hmm other idea of mua is to ask Lyssa to research anti-undead spells based on her knowledge of necromancy. They tend to be our dates usually. Still it need secret, secure facility with no second guessers of ethical implications of said pursuit. Usually people who cant say FOR SCIENCE! end up messing everything.

^ Top  
  14. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    At this point we just need to rout the enemy forces and get back to the city. I have a feeling any plans we make are going to be dashed fairly quickly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I just want to see what our money situation is.

inb4 Mayer acquired a property that gives us 500 WPs a month and we are at -100 with all the major houses. :lol:

I also hope dealing with the merchants will prove easier than with the mercs and no Fallen Lords will be involved this time.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I don't even. :? Who are these guys and what are their relations to each other?

Do we have a rat infestation problem? With names like Ninety Nine Thieves around I think we do. Perhaps we should rethink rat diplomacy. :lol:

Which factions do our mice belong to?

^ Top  
  17. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Suddenly i am more interested in rat factions than main plot. I love P&P games and creative solutions.

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Next chapter should all be about rat politics. Let's take micromanagement to an unprecedented level!

^ Top  
  19. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Remind me again, why are we giving the rats fancy cheese and so on instead of threatening them with our various powers, eagles, and so on? Maybe we could establish some sort of competition between them and other animal servants; whoever serves best gets more resources, instead of just promising the moon to everyone for doing something.

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Jeez, I don't know.

Maybe because we have established for ourselves that the best allies are the ones who serve willingly ever since we released Amena and Ithapi back in Chapter 1.

Or maybe because we've spent a whole week trying to establish a working relationship with them, which won us the siege in the end.

Or maybe because we might want our agents to come back next time we send them on a mission instead of deserting us.

Or maybe because threatening the ghols with various powers and the Hounds didn't turn out all that well for the Watcher.

Or maybe because we are about to breed intelligent spell-casting mice that might not take kindly to the enslavement of their lesser brethren.

Nah, must be because we are a friend to all living things and to spite Smashing Axe. That's all there is to it.

^ Top  
  21. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I agree with kipeci that the rats/mice demands are getting ridiculous. We should breed our own as familiars, reward the ones that killed the shade, and tell the others to get in line or we can make some weasel friends instead. We are willing to work with them and let them be if they will take the initiative to help defend their home. If the keep would have fallen then they would have quickly turned into dominated undead rats like the ones in the wagons. No more offspring and all their so called culture wiped away. We merely drafted them into the defense of their home and they treat us like we are asking for their next 100 unborn children for simple tasks.

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Not quite. Rats are beneath anyone's notice, and they prosper under the Fallen Lords just as well as they do under us. The fort have fallen twice in the last two weeks, and nothing have changed for them significantly.

We aren't sure what happened to the rats in the wagons or to our hares, so we can't argue that point. The hares weren't undead, that much is certain. And for all we know, the sieging equipment in those wagons would not have been stationed in the fort (what for?), so nothing would have happened to them.

They are not particularly interested in which side wins, so the most obvious way to make them side with us is to promise them payment.

Now, their demands may be unreasonable, but no one forces us to make use of them.

^ Top  
  23. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I am still pretty convinced the TWM walking around with that giant piece of the watcher would have been bad for their health. And if the caster mice would have been caught by TWM you know the entire mouse population would have been dominated and experimented on to just relieve his boredom for five seconds.

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We didn't sense it until he took it out, and our dwarves are absolutely fine even after being exposed to it. No, it isn't the Watcher's fragment that have affected the zombie rats and our hares, but that thing we sensed behind the Drowned Dead:
    What that thing is, though, is yet remains to be seen.

The caster mice are a special case, and they have demands of their own, which are far from unreasonable. They have promised us their service in return for the drug. The ones who are 'getting out of line' are regular rats - and they aren't all that bright to think too far ahead about their futures and weigh all the risks. You want something from them, they want something from you - that's as far as their brain can work.

It's your right if you don't like their attitude, but to antagonize them after they have proven their worth as agents would be exceptionally stupid.

^ Top  
  25. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    :thumbsup:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.