Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,056
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The problem I see with socializing with our peers in the magical department is that we are, essentially, playing a game by PnP rules, and the wording strongly implies a check of some sort. They both have that 'maybe, if you are successful' vibe. However, our charisma is not really suited for the task. It can pay off, but it is trying to overcome our character's weakness instead of playing by her strengths, and that is not something you would want to do often in a party-based adventure that mostly depends on several specialized characters doing their own thing very well.

    Derryth is just plain bad with people. It might be good to try and limit our interaction with the ones that are already on our friends list, and leave the complex tasks to Thais, who is the real power holding the group together, I might add. She is always present when there are tensions in the group - I don't even know what would we do without her. She'd make a perfect partner if we live through this.

    That said, out of the 2 options that let us socialize with people who don't care much about us, D is the most critical one. We need to understand what the sorceress is planning, why she did not want to risk Amena to do it, and if helping her would indeed help us. Does she really have control over the magic that can scatter the shadows, and if she does, what is going to happen when she leaves? Is the control transferable at all? One of the worst things that could happen is learning that the fetch was the only thing holding the place together in the midst of a sea of shadows after the fact.

    She probably won't tell us much about Eris' motivations that we already don't know (I do not doubt that the sorceress just wants to return home), but I'd like to hear more about hers. How did a human and a maul ended up working under a fetch in the first place? Does she seek to inherit the place after Eris, or is it just that she is unable to leave on her own? That might be important.

    The idea about guarding the exit is a sound one. Whatever help our two meatshilds could provide with the search, isn't worth risking cutting off our retreat path in case anything bad happens.

    As for the search choices, I can't resist the urge to check the Artefact Section, and who else would be better to do it than a scavenger and a thief who have a mutual understanding? I bet even if the tablet isn't there, we'll find something of use that we could keep to ourselves. I don't want to have Miosguinn with us, as he would either want his share, or would suggest us surrendering the artifacts to the museum, neither of which sounds great. On the other hand, I believe that both he and Amena could prove useful if they check Theology, Planar section of the Main Stacks. Amena can be of help here because she is working under an outworldly creature, and Miosguinn has the necessary expertise to find the bits of knowledge that could help us understand Eris' plan better. We don't need Brigit to police any one of them; they would keep an eye on each other just fine as they don't have a reason to trust one another - Miosguinn does not want to be betrayed by the fetch, and Amena wants the mission to succeed, so they will double check the other's findings to ensure they are not hiding anything. Whatever information they find, we can be certain that it will reach the rest of the party, because their motivations are too different for them to conspire against the rest.

    So let's utilize everyone to their full potential, with the military experts guarding the door, the rogues looting the place, and the mages doing the thinking.

    1. D
    2. A
    3. B
    4. B
    5. D

    Circle vote C.
     
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,376
    1. How do you want to spend your time in the evening:

    c)Despite traveling with the doctor for several days now you have not had an opportunity to talk. You could try to open a proper dialogue with the man and if you are successful may learn a few things about magic or history if you pay attention.


    2. Gareth recommends leaving one team at the door to secure it, Gareth and Ithapi are the least useful when it comes to searching so they volunteer. But would you rather have three groups searching instead?

    a) Gareth and Ithapi guard the exit


    3. With morning the search begins and for safety sake you stay in pairs. Who do you want to travel with (naturally if 2a is chosen Gareth and Ithapi can not be chosen)?


    b)Brigit: competent, silent and resourceful she would be a definite asset


    4. You look over the map and spot a number of locations where the incantation may be, where do you want to search.?

    b)Artifact room: if it is a tablet it will probably be here


    5. Assign locations for the other team(s). (If you pick 2a then choose one, if you pick 2b then choose two.)

    d)Main Stacks - Theology, Planar: given its connection to Planar theory this may be the resting place of the incantation



    The Circle name vote is still open, I will probably close it with the next update, choices are currently:



    c) The Circle of the Lost/The Lost: 8 votes[/quote]
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Well at this point I think you have the name of your circle. The Circle of the Lost has such a large lead that I think it is safe to close the vote on it.

    You are the Lost.

    Current Tally:
    1.
    A) 1 (2) vote(s)
    B)
    C) 5 votes
    D) 6 votes
    E)
    F)

    2.
    A) 11 votes
    B) 1 vote

    3.
    A) 1 vote
    B) 5 (6) votes
    C) 4 votes
    D) 2 votes
    E)

    4.
    A) 1 vote
    B) 4 votes
    C) 2 votes
    D)
    E) 5 votes
    F)

    5.
    A) 2 votes
    B)
    C) 2 votes
    D) 7 (8) votes; 2B: 1 vote Misoguinn and Ithapi
    E) (1) vote; 2B: 1 vote Brigit and Amena
    F)
     
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Anabanana Augur

    Anabanana
    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Messages:
    1,061
    Flopping from 3C to 3B.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Expect this kind joke at one point.
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Had a bit of free time so I knocked out an "Interlude" while we wait for the votes to come in and the tie(s) to be resolved. I can not guarantee an actual update for about the next 72hrs and I did not want to leave the CYOA without an update for almost a whole week so here you go. If I do wind up having time I will try to give some sort of warning before I close the polls.

    Interlude 1: In the Hands of a Master

    She dreams; of power, of glory and magical might.

    She dreams; of riches and fortune and a noble title.

    She dreams; of love and romance and a very strange hat?

    She awakes; and is met with her reality.

    Trapped in the fortress of an otherworldly sorceress, alone save for a child and two fools, waiting for her promised glory and riches and a better future. Though at this point any future would be good enough for her. She knows all too well that the only likely reward for her efforts is death.

    As this knowledge begins to settle around her, a shroud over her mind's eye, dimming all of her hopes and dreams she thinks back to what Derryth always says, "Dwelling on our certain demise will just drive us mad. Take something small, something you can change and focus on it. One thing at a time, one step at a time, this way you will reach your goals."

    Such thoughts give a person strength, there are things she can do while she waits, things she can change, which will improve their chances of survival dramatically. Today she would set one of these changes in motion. She gets to her feet and begins to dress, drawing her brush through her raven black hair she turns to face herself in the mirror, "Alright Thaïs, let us go talk some sense into the boys."

    --------------------------------------------

    He sits in the main hall, in a high backed chair too large for his frail frame. He is reading when Thaïs enters the room, one of his medical texts. He is one hell of a doctor and if she can convince him to help Tyrvard the Berserk's condition should improve overnight.

    "Good morning Serpent," she chooses a light and sweet tone to begin.

    "Umm good morning Thaïs," the physician replies without making eye contact.

    Good he is still embarrassed over his actions yesterday, this should not be too difficult. It is just a matter of figuring out an angle of attack.

    Her tone shifts slightly, still sweet but now with a commanding undercurrent, "Well Serpent how is our patient doing?"

    "I.. well I have not checked on him yet... I mean I had intended to do it but..."

    She takes his book from him and sets it on a nearby table, returning to him and taking his hands in hers she continues, "Serpent, you have a gift, a marvelous and unique gift and we need your help. Derryth needs your help, I need your help and Tyrvard needs your help and you are the only one that can get him back on his feet. Please Serpent, help him."

    She stares into his eyes, acting in every way the distressed damsel, the physician stammers out a response, "He... he will not accept my help. Even... even if I offered it too him he is too much like the fools back home... he judges me, just as they all judged me."

    Well now that is an interesting piece of information. Thaïs rolls this new tidbit around in her head, getting a taste of the possibilities it opens up. After but a few moments she carefully selects her avenue of attack.

    There is no point pushing him too hard now, he may break which would be a shame. However he may just be vulnerable enough right now that she can move to the heart of the matter.

    "Serpent, what makes you think that Tyrvard judges you? He is not a Gowerman, he served up and down the stretch of the Cloudspine mountains and I think if you make the attempt he will be open to dialogue."

    "He is a barbarian Thaïs, he is a wolf, he is like them I know it!"

    Well a bit of fire in the little guy yet, best to quickly extinguish it though.

    With a disarming smile and a soothing tone she continues, "You are a scholar Serpent. You want to be a mage. But how can you call yourself either with such a closed mind? You have spent barely ten minutes with the man when you are not arguing over something."

    She begins to pick up pace, her temper begins to flares as she speaks, building as she attempts to convince the physician, "What do you really know about the man? You have not tried to know him but I have. Do you know that he comes not from the Twelve Duns but from the islands of the North Sea? Do you know that he had a wife and children? That she was a herbalist and that they were happy together? That he left his homeland after her death and that the loss of her is what makes him drink? That he seeks an honourable death in battle to be reunited with her? Well?"

    She begins to tear up as she recounts the horrible death of Tyrvard's wife at the hands of the Trow and Serpent is speechless. He had never thought of the Berserk as an actual person, just another barbarian like those who had tormented him. Shame wells up in his breast and he asks to be excused vowing to see Tyrvard this very day and to treat him to the best of his ability.

    As Serpent leaves the room a smile slowly spreads across the woman's face. "One down, one to go," she hums a little tune as she goes to find Tyrvard.

    -----------------------------------------------------

    The northerner has set up camp in what was once the servants' quarters. When asked he says it gives him more room to practice. As Thaïs enters the room she realizes exactly what he meant. Tyrvard sits on one of the ancient tables drinking moonshine out of a large jug. His still must be somewhere nearby but she knows a search would be pointless, when it comes to his still Tyrvard takes no chances.

    No sense playing the damsel with Tyrvard, the giant respect strength and a straightforward demeanour so Thaïs hops up next to him on the table and gestures for his jug, with the jug in hand she takes large swig. The Berserk gives her a wolfish grin as she knocks back the moonshine, he patiently waits for her to return the jug and begin speaking.

    "Tyrvard, I want to talk to you about Serpent," Thaïs begins, thankfully her years of experience with different clients allows her to clearly understand the Berserk despite his accent and his slightly drunken slur.

    "Why? What is he going to do to me today?" Tyrvard enquires with equal parts scorn and a certain morbid curiosity.

    "Today, he is going to come treat you, a real treatment this time, and I am asking you to please let him," Thaïs takes the jug again and knocks back another mouth full.

    "Now why in the name of your Emperor, would I do that? He damn near killed me with his last treatment. He is rotten, I will warn you now his name is a fitting one. That snake will always bite," Tyrvard snatches back the moonshine and drains the jug of its contents.

    "Now Tyrvard, from what he tells me he had a rough time growing up in Gower..."

    At the mention of Gower the Berserk nods and cuts her off, "Aye, Gower is no place for real men. Bunch a weak men pretending to be Berserks there. I can see why they would pick on someone different. None of them have any confidence..."

    Oh, this is almost too easy, the natural rivalry between the Berserks of the northern coast and those of Gower provides the perfect angle of approach.

    "Right, so you can see why he turned out the way he did. Why I imagine if he had only had a proper role model growing up. Someone that could teach him how to be a proper Berserk..." she just sort of lets the idea hang in the air and slowly but surely he picks up on it.

    "Perhaps I can teach the boy how to be a proper Berserk... but what should I start with?" The look of profound distress that crosses the man's face almost makes her smile but she holds out.

    With a straight face she lays out a few more breadcrumbs for the warrior to follow, "Well he has a great knowledge of herbs and potions, perhaps he could help you with your still?"

    Jumping to he feet, Tyrvard bellows this victory of imagination to the heavens, "That is a brilliant idea! When he comes to visit I will suggest just that. I will make a proper Berserk of him even if it kills me!"

    Well this should be interesting if nothing else, if they can just get through the next day or two without arguing then everything should be resolved by the time Derryth returns. Maybe she really will get that raise, hell by the time this is over Derryth may just owe her an actual partnership.

    Thaïs hops down from the table and heads for the door as the Berserk begins pacing, trying to come up with his very first lesson. As she reaches the door a bright smile appears on her face and she remembers one last detail.

    "Oh Tyrvard," the Berserk turns to face her as she continues, "I may have told Serpent that you had a dead wife and kids, you know to get him out here..."

    The Berserk at first is deeply confused by this information but gradually that wolfish smile returns to his face, "Well that is something Thaïs, you are a great mage already. You give me a whole family and kill them off in the course of a conversation. Was my wife at least beautiful?"

    Thaïs returns his grin, "Gorgeous of course, she was a herbalist and the Trow killed her. Just break the truth to him slowly and feel free to blame me for it. He really is a nice young man Tyrvard, he has just had it rough is all."

    The massive Berserk smiles and nods, he assures her that he will try his best for her.

    With a wink and a nod she opens the door and disappears into the hallway. She can hear Serpent outside in the courtyard as she slips into a side room to avoid him. As he knocks and enters Tyrvard's quarters she gets comfortable with a small tome, she will have to be on hand for these first few "play dates" in case anything goes wrong but after that who knows.

    With a happy sigh she repeats Derryth's words, "Take something small, something you can change and focus on it. One thing at a time, one step at a time, this way you will reach your goals," sitting in the gloom of the ancient building she hums a cheerful tune to herself and opening her little tome she takes another small step towards her goals.
     
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,169
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Just a crying shame we'll probably get Derryth killed. Thaïs seems like a nice person. Would hate to see her get turned into shade-chow.
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Rex Feral Liturgist

    Rex Feral
    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2013
    Messages:
    1,300
    Finally managed to catch up with this CYOA. :)

    Great updates so far, could do with a bit more dialogue, but the plot so far has been pretty interesting and I especially like the character interactions.

    Now for the choices:


    1C
    >1A - Because it works well in synergy with the next choice, that of pairing with the doctor.
    2A - Gareth has more experience with these type of things so I guess we should listen to him. Also if Fangshi is giving us a choice here, then something will surely happen if we don't leave anyone behind.
    3C>3B - Since we let Gareth guard the entrance, I am choosing someone who can best defend himself (and us, especially us) if something goes wrong or we encounter something nasty. Also it's a good time to establish a sort of relationship with the mage and inquire about his ulterior motives.
    4E - Since we might find clues about where the incantation actually is (my guess is that Fangshi rolled a dice between the locations so it's location is random, but still)
    5D - I'm going with the flow here.
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    1: D
    Gotta know what's up. We could maybe use the girl should things go south.

    2: B
    As much as I don't trust the door, I don't trust whatever lurks in the library just as much.

    3: A
    We know what we're looking for, we just don't want to get mauled to death.

    4: B

    We're in our element.

    I honestly don't know what section is likely to have the text, so I'm allocating people based on loot potential and their trustworthiness.


    5.

    d) Miosguinn and Ithapi

    These untrustworthy bastards can read about theology together. May produce a lead, but less likely to give them some treasure to swipe.

    e) Brigit and Amena Head Librarian's Office
    It's the second most likely place to have some neat loot, best have someone of our circle to nick it. Plus Brigit can win over Amena.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Esquilax Arcane

    Esquilax
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    Messages:
    4,822
    I'm on board with Nevill's reasoning. So long as we don't pair up with Miosguinn while attempting to ascertain Eris' motivations (we want our choices to be consistent) I think we ought to be fine. Our character's spiritual bent should help us in the theology section. It seems like a place with wisdom rather than simply loot.

    D A B B D
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Ok, I think I have some free time today so I will close up the polls in 2-3 hrs and see about getting that update out.

    Edit:
    Ok polls closed, the update should be out sometime in the next six hours.

    Final votes:

    Azira 1c 2a 3c 4c 5d
    Jester 1d 2a 3d 4e 5a
    Anabanana 1d 2a 3b 4e 5d
    Storyfag 1c 2a 3c 4c 5d
    Erebus 1d 2a 3b 4e 5a
    tuluse 1c 2a 3c 4a 5c
    Grimgravy 1a 2a 3d 4e 5c
    Nevill 1d 2a 3b 4b 5d
    Kz3r0 1c 2a 3b 4b 5d
    Rex Feral 1c 2a 3b 4e 5d
    Smashing Axe 1d 2b 3a 4b 5d/e
    Esquilax 1d 2a 3b 4b 5d

    1.
    1 vote for A
    5 votes for C
    6 votes for D

    Derryth (well Brigit) will try to win the new girl over and you may even get a small lore dump.

    2.
    11 votes for A
    1 vote for B

    She will follow Gareth's advice, nothing will sneak up on you now... well nothing that was not already in the library at least...

    3.
    6 votes for B
    3 votes for C
    2 votes for D

    Guess you are teaming up with Brigit, hopefully leaving the two mages you don't trust alone together will not backfire at all...

    4.
    1 vote for A
    4 votes for B
    2 votes for C
    5 votes for E

    Derryth and Brigit will pay a visit to the Head Librarian's office...

    5.
    2 votes for A
    2 votes for C
    8 votes for D

    And Miosguinn and Amena will spend some quality time together buried in the Theology section...

    Update should be out sometime in the next 6-8 hrs when I have a moment.
     
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    tuluse
    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    Messages:
    11,399
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't see the value in questioning Amena. If Eris intends to betray us, the logical move would be to kill her minions. Why would Amena tell us anything?
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,056
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't understand that logic... but okay.
    If Eris intends to kill her minions, and Amena is her minion, it stands to reason that the latter does not want to be killed and would be eager to ally with us and warn us about the possible betrayal.
     
    ^ Top  
  14. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    tuluse
    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    Messages:
    11,399
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I meant *our* logical move.

    If Amena lets it slip Eris is going to betray us, she's signing her own death warrant.

    Unless you think we turn her or something.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Erebus Arcane

    Erebus
    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Messages:
    4,061
    To be frank, I don't trust Brigit either. At all. I just think she's unlikely to betray us now.
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Good, trust no one, they are all out to steal your stone after all... ;)



    Anyway update is about a third done so it should definitely be up some time in the next 4 hrs. Some interesting results to be sure...
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Okay, this ran a bit long but it is finally done... whew. The choices at the end may have gotten a bit Byzantine but I prefer to give you options so here you go.

    Chapter 4: The Incantation?

    "So what's the plan boss?" Gareth sits next to you in one corner of the librarian's office.

    Every now and then he steals a glance at Brigit when he thinks she is not looking. She sits cross-legged, the very picture of innocence, playing with her mystery cube across the room. As you sit there you have to grin as she quickly glances up and you realize that she is doing the exact same thing as well.

    "Well, we have to search the library. I need you and our large friend to guard our escape while the rest of us search the building for this damn inscription," you sigh and rub your temples, "I will take Brigit up to the Head Librarian's office to look for leads and Miosguinn can take Amena to search the planar theory section, I want to know a bit more about what this ritual will do."

    "You sure that is a good idea?" the veteran scratches the back of his head and gives the rogue a sidelong glance, "I mean can we really trust either of them alone?"

    You don't tell him that you do not really trust any of them yet; instead you nod and continue, "Well the way I see it Miosguinn is just as dependent on us as we are on him. He will not betray us if it will get him killed as well and he has been nothing but an asset so far. As for the girl we know nothing about her and I think it is time to do a little investigating."

    Gareth laughs at that, "Sorry boss, but you are not the most sociable person I have ever seen. You're as likely to piss her off as to win her over, nah scratch that you will definitely piss her off."

    "Well fuck you too then," you mumble grumpily before a sly grin spreads across your face, "Actually I was thinking of asking your girlfriend to help me out."

    You remember once seeing a beet in the south of the Province, damn thing was the deepest red you have ever seen, almost purple even. Right now though Gareth is giving that beet a run for its money.

    The blushing warrior finally manages to stammer out a reply, "M.. m.. my girlfriend?" You gesture to Brigit who notices you both staring and gives you a friendly wave.

    "Uh... yeah, Brig.. Brigit is great with people, has an easy charm to her like she won't judge you no matter what you have done..." Gareth just sort of trails off, you should probably change subjects before he bursts a blood vessel.

    You ask him a few questions about what sort of defenses will be needed to secure the front door. The poor man begins to breathe again as he answers you, his analytical mind turning to the comforting task of confronting hordes of hostile monsters. Another ten minutes roll by and he has a whole plan of battle set out in case of attack, you bid him good night and go to check up on Brigit.

    "Hey, Brigit," you wave to the girl as you approach. You wonder if you should not help things along a little between them, would be good for morale and you will probably all die down here anyway. Also if you give her good news she will be more likely to help out, at least that is what you tell yourself.

    "Oh, hi Derryth. I was just workin on this puzzle box. Wanna try?" she holds the box up for you to examine it, "I am just not havin much luck tonight."

    "Well, I can imagine it is difficult to solve if you spend half your time looking at Gareth."

    She lets out a small gasp as her face flushes; you continue, "Kid I will give you a tip, if you want something in life you have to just take it. Let the guy know, I can pretty much guarantee that he feels the same way."

    She beams at you and jumps up giving you a hug, "I will go talk to him right away."

    You catch her arm as she tries to move past you, "Don't suppose you could hold off for a few hours? I need your help with something first, but after that I will make sure the two of you are not interrupted."

    She hesitates for just a moment before agreeing, "Good, I want to find out what is going on with Eris and Amena is the best lead we have, but-"

    She cuts you off, "But you are afraid you will screw it up," she gives you a big grin.

    You frown, why does everyone just assume you will fail to win her over?

    You grumble, "You know what, you and Gareth are perfect for each other, you're both assholes," she laughs and gives you another hug to cheer you up and the two of you head over to one of the side rooms where Amena is bossing Ithapi around.

    When she sees you enter the room a frown momentarily crosses her face but it disappears as Brigit pushes past you and introduces herself to Amena. With Brigit present to keep the conversation moving in the right direction the three of you quickly fall into an easy and natural conversation as Ithapi takes a nap in the corner.

    Turns out the girl has spent almost her entire life in the tower with Eris and tales of the outside world intrigue her greatly. After a few hours of regaling her with tales of your daring exploits, suitably embellished by Brigit, you feel the girl may just be open to telling you more about her mistress.

    "Amena, I was wondering how exactly you came to live with Eris?"

    At the question Amena tenses up a little but Brigit comes to the rescue, "Please Amena, you don't have ta tell us anything secret but we would really like to get ta know ya better. Ya know so we can become friends and all."

    An idea pops into the rogue's head and she turns to you, "Oh I know maybe she can join our Circle when Eris leaves! Please Derryth," Brigit pleads and it looks like Amena is very interested in what you will say. You are not quite sure whether this is an act or a legitimate request, either way it is a definite "in" with Amena so you make some generally positive if noncommittal comments, just enough for Brigit to work with.

    "Oh I know, we can have a proper interview and everything," she hops up and drags over a small desk and three chairs, she motions for Amena to sit on one side of the table while the two of you sit on the other. Ithapi opens one eye at all the noise before giving the three of you a dismissive snort and going back to sleep.

    Brigit grabs a piece of board and some paper and begins to write, "Name please."

    "Umm.. Amena, but you already know that," replies the slightly befuddled apprentice.

    "Place of residence?" Brigit continues in her best "professional" tone.

    "The umm... actually the tower does not have a name..." the poor girl looks quite confused and a bit uncomfortable by all of this so you decide to step in.

    "Actually Brigit, maybe you should go talk to Gareth, I should be able to handle this interview from here," Amena looks quite relieved when Brigit agrees, hops up and skips towards the door. On the way she gives you a quick wink, the archer has given you an opportunity, now you just have to exploit it.

    "So Amena how about you just tell me about yourself and what you can do, I won't pry too much, I promise," you give her a disarming smile and it seems that her earlier distrust of you is largely gone.

    She fidgets a little, "Well, my earliest memories are of the tower and my mistress. She scared me as a child but she was in every way a mother to me. She gave me my education in manners, and the proper skills of a servant. She fed me, and clothed me and protected me from the shadows and the other dark things and as I grew older she brought me Ithapi to be my guardian and minder."

    When you ask about him she gestures at the sleeping maul, "He is sworn to loyal service by the laws of his people and he has been nothing but kind to me through the eight years I have known him. Eris saved him from the shadows when he was but a maulet and she raised him to be my guardian and to aid me in my exploration of the ruins."

    "So the shadows were already present when you were a child?"

    "Yes, they have always hated me and my mistress. They are death made manifest and mistress constantly warned me against leaving the rune paths when I was younger. In fact this is the farthest I have ever been from my mistress, I am in truth a little scared."

    "So then this incantation we are looking for must be awfully important to your mistress to risk such a charming apprentice?"

    "Yes, it is very important, she needs it to go home and a whole circle of mages to help her cast it. I..." she hesitates for a moment," I do not know what it does, I think it is a spell to locate her world but I will not know till I see it. She is very happy to be returning home but she says I can not go with her. She says I would not survive her world, she says that she loves me and worries about me... I... I do not know if I should believe her... I... I just worry you know?"

    You know exactly how that feels, in fact you are having trouble thinking of the last time you did not worry, about your choices, your allies, your friends perhaps, but it is sad to see such worry written on the face of one so young. You decide to change topics, it is clear that she will not just betray her mistress but she may know something else that may be useful.

    "You are Eris' apprentice but the Fetch are all priestesses, how did she teach you magic?"

    Her face brightens a little at this, a topic near and dear to her heart, "Oh, the tower has all sorts of books on magic, and history, and theology, and all sorts of things really. She would let me study them when I was done with my chores. My mistress kept the most powerful ones out of reach so I could not hurt myself and the rest was just hard work and patience. With nowhere to go and nothing much to do I read a lot."

    The two of you spend the better part of the evening talking about magic and you even show her a few basic spells, Sort, Polish, even Create Fire. Nothing truly dangerous but helpful nevertheless. As you teach the kid she gradually warms up to you and in return she shows you how to create shadow repelling runes of light and how to use them to locate the hidden rune paths. You will need to practice it to really get much benefit from the spell but the ability to push back shadows will be quite useful down here.

    With a warm smile you move to adjourn your little magical conference, "Well Amena I will run your application by the rest of the Circle when we get back but I will say it looks good, and I would personally love to have you join the Circle," you are not sure yourself whether or not you are lying to her, you may yet end up fighting her after all. Still no point in alienating her, and if she thinks she has a future with the group maybe she will choose you over her mistress... maybe.

    As you head back to the side room you are sharing with Brigit you find the door barred, Miosguinn chimes in with an amused look on his face, staring at you over the top of a tome he is reading, "Your friend took the soldier in there a couple hours ago, I doubt they will be out till morning." He promptly goes back to ignoring you.

    Great, well you will just have to use Gareth's bedding tonight. As you head over to where you last saw his pack Miosguinn speaks up again without raising his eyes from his book, "He took his things with him I am afraid. Looks like you are on the ground tonight..." and of course the old mage does not offer you his bedroll, chivalry truly is dead.

    You mumble to yourself, something about "ungrateful assholes" and "docking their pay" as you pull a couple benches together and attempt to get some sleep. It is the worst night's sleep you have had in years...

    -------------------------------------------------------

    "So spill it kid, it better have been worth it," you rub your sore back as you and Brigit climb the stairs to the third floor and the Head Librarian's office.

    "There is nothing to tell, we just talked..." she trails off a certain dreamlike quality to her voice.

    "Not for almost eight hours you didn't," you cut in, you feel horrible and the idea that you suffered for nothing is driving you near to rage, "If I suffered for nothing-"

    She does not let you finish, "We talked and he held me and it was beautiful Derryth, I can not thank you enough," she stops you on the second floor landing and gives you another hug.

    You ignore her, warming to the subject a little you continue, "I swear kid, if you are not lying then the two of you wasted a perfect opportunity. Frankly I am a bit disgusted with both of you right now," you look over your shoulder and give her a grin.

    Two stairs behind you she pokes you in the back and with a light laugh starts in on you, "Why do you keep calling me a kid anyway, there is like five years tops separating us?"

    "It is as much a state of mind as anything else kid, those five years were spent in crypts and bars and libraries," you shudder at the thought of the libraries, glad that Miosguinn and Amena are suffering through the stacks instead of having to do it yourself, "Those five years represent experience, maturity, wisdom, kid maybe some day you will-"

    You stop in mid-sentence as an arrow flies right over your head and skewers a three foot millipede that was attempting to ambush you. Seems that Brigit is paying just a bit more attention than you are, she grins at you, "Umm thanks Brigit," she gives you a nod and the two of you continue up the stairs.

    "So what are we looking for anyway?"

    "Not the faintest idea, it will be magical so we should be able to sense it if we get close enough and it will probably be in old Bruig but beyond that I will know it when I see it. Oh and before I forget do not touch anything without asking, some mages like to booby-trap their hordes and not all of the traps are physical in nature."

    Fifteen minutes later the two of you are in the librarian's office, "Well let's have a look, shall we."

    Everything looks fairly standard but then a mage would not leave their best items out in the open anyway. You check under the rug for trap doors, you check the draws of the librarian's desk for switches, you try the bookshelves and the busts, the lighting fixtures and the chair legs, nothing absolutely nothing... and then you see it, a small hole in the back wall. It may be a vault perhaps but how to open it, "Brigit, want to take a look at this hole, any ideas on how to open it?"

    "Good thing you brought me along, I can have this open in no time," Brigit examines the hole and reaches into her pack, she pulls out a metal cylinder and presses it against the hole, the cylinder opens and a semi-solid liquid pours into the lock, with a word it solidifies.

    With a confident smile she turns to you, "See us kids are good for something after all old lady," she immediately turns the handle before you can tell her to wait.

    Instinctively you grab her and dive out of the way as a bolt of magic tears across the room and burns a hole in the far wall.

    Lying on the floor next to you she gives you a sheepish smile, "Umm thanks Derryth."

    You grin, "No problem, now we are even. So want to loot an arcane vault?"

    "Do I!" she replies, all excitement and irrepressible energy.

    "Ok, but be careful and no grabbing anything magical unless I say it is ok."

    The vault is full of magical items, and you find what you think is your prize on the top shelf at the back. It is a small tablet covered in Old Bruig, and it is definitely a powerful planar spell but you will need to examine it further to be sure. Maybe Miosguinn will have some ideas as well. You slip the tablet into your pack and turn to see Brigit attempting to leave with a handful of magical items. As she strides confidently to the doorway she walks right into an invisible barrier and falls to the ground, blue runes appear around the door.

    "What was that?" she asks as she shakily gets to her feet.

    "Well based on the writing over the door there the room is sealed," you get closer to the runic inscription to continue reading, finally you turn back to Brigit, "Ok, looks like we can remove three items without setting off the barrier. It is actually an ingenious system to prevent large scale robberies while still allowing the mage to take out specific pieces."

    Brigit looks a bit disappointed that she can not take everything, "Any way to disable the runes Derryth?"

    You rub your chin and put a hand on your hip, "Hmm... if I had the time, Miosguinn and I could probably bypass it but it would take a few days at least and I don't really trust Eris to leave our people unharmed that long. We may be able to come back after we help Eris but who knows what could happen between now and then."

    She nods, accepting the limitations, "Well alright then, I want this bow that shoots fire arrows. I am almost out of regular arrows after all those shadows, after all."

    Okay, with Brigit's bow and the incantation that makes two. You can take one more item with you, surveying the room you eventually settle on an item to grab and with that the two of you return to camp.

    When you return you are greeted with two types of news, bad and terrible. Seems Miosguinn and Amena ran into some trouble in the main stacks, they were attacked by a horde of overgrown arachnids and Amena was bitten by a spider before Miosguinn's calls for help attracted Ithapi to chase them away. She has a slight fever and for some reason refuses to be left alone with Miosguinn, she might be slightly delusional. Gareth has been treating her but he could definitely use a hand to cure her.

    You give her the once over and improve on some of Gareth's treatments but he did a good job. She will be fine to walk and Ithapi can carry her if need be but she will not be casting for a few hours at least. Seems the two of them were not able to find anything before the spiders attacked them.

    You have Miosguinn examine the tablet, sure enough it is the incantation you are looking for. It is not a full spell, instead it is used to locate another plane of existence and provide an anchor to actually open a gate. Eris must need it to find the "address" of her dimension, it really is her ticket home. Of course this means she must know the actual spell to open a gate already, and if you give her the incantation she could always return to your world. It may not be a good idea to let her return to her people after all, can you really trust the Fetch?

    In addition Gareth has another problem to report.

    "Seems we were right to guard the doorway, some of those sightless creatures tried to force their way in an hour ago. There were about a dozen of them and we broke them easily but they will probably be back and in greater numbers," the Veteran looks to you for direction.

    Ok, choice time. Some of the choices are dependent on others but a request was made to properly plunder the library and I want to give you the opportunity to try. You have been gone two days, it will take one day to get back for those that are wondering.


    1. You grabbed an item from the vault, what was it?

    A. A glowing blue sword with lightning bolts etched into the hilt and blade.

    B. A large round shield made of gold, it has a stylized depiction of a Fetch on it. When Brigit accidentally pointed it at you, you felt terrified.

    C. A large black book, bound in dyed human flesh. Thing gives you the creeps but radiates power.

    D. A collection of scrolls written in old Bruig, you recognize the symbol of the Heron Guard upon them, looking at them gives you a sense of calm and serenity.

    E. An old but plain map written in old Bruig with a small notebook. The notes claim that the book leads to the resting place of one of Wyrd's Dreams. Surprisingly you think it may be genuine.

    F. A little blue stone, an attached note claims that it allows the user to indefinitely breathe under water.

    H. A tablet in a language you can not read, attached notes suggest it may be of Callieach origins but that can't be right, can it?

    I. Some sort of gold cup, probably not good for much right?


    2. Stay or Go, you need to commit yourself now. (If you pick 2A then pick two choices from 3, if you pick 2B then pick a choice from 4)

    A. Stay; you want that treasure, consequences be damned

    B. Leave; monsters outside, a wounded kid, and an impatient Fetch, best to leave for now


    3. If you stay who does what? Derryth and Gareth will choose parties to the best of their abilities but what should be their focus? (Pick two)

    A. Focus on getting the vault open

    B. Focus on searching the rest of the Library for more treasure

    C. Focus on defending the front door

    D. Focus on something else, freeform


    4. If you go there are a few options to pursue.

    A. Go out the front door, you may have to fight your way past the creatures.

    B. The map notes the location of a side exit on the other side of the building, you could try to use it.

    C. The map also notes an exit through a passage in the basement level, it would probably let you avoid the creatures entirely.


    5. Now that you have the damn thing what do you intend to do with it. You probably will not have much time to figure this out when you get back so it is better to have this all sorted out now.

    A. Honour your end of the deal, give the incantation to Eris.

    B. Honour your deal but do not let Eris learn the incantation, she won't like trusting you but you will not give her the ability to return and she will have to live with it.

    C. Destroy the incantation, you can not risk her betraying you.

    D. Corrupt the incantation and dump her out in the space between the stars where dark things will consume her and her secrets.

    E. Honour your deal but corrupt the tablet just in case; if she agrees to let you cast it then proceed as in B, if she refuses then default to D (hopefully you can remember the exact incantation from memory as you will not be able to use the tablet to cast the real spell)

    F. Other, freeform


    6. With Amena temporarily incapacitated now would be the perfect time to kill her and Ithapi, but after getting to know her last night do you really want to murder them?

    A. Yes, we must deprive Eris of every asset we can.

    B. No, the kid is not an enemy and you will not just go around murdering people.
     
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  18. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I am tempted to corrupt the incantation, but surely the Fetch herself will read it? How subtle would this alteration be?

    1 C
    2 A C
    3 A
    5 D
    6 B

    Let's go dark mage. Well, grey, preferably. I want power!
     
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    ^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Ideally very subtle (and you can get Miosguinn to help), the spell has to be very precise to connect all the way to a different world. Change it just a little and it should dump her into the void, you hope. So she believes it does have a decent chance of success or Derryth would not even attempt it.
    Of course there is always the chance she will figure it out in which case you will probably have to fight. And you also would be opening a temporary doorway to the place between worlds, who knows what could slip in... :troll:
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,867
    So many beutiful choices...

    1D > 1E - healing spells? Maybe some kind of protection from the undead? Just what we need to kickstart our new circle. The book is probably bad news. Tempted to go for the sword (we would look awesome with whip in one hand and the glowing sword in the other), but we have no skills for it...

    2B - I'm worried about our team we left with the witch. Maybe we can return later. Maybe. Ok, probably we won't be able to, but I don't want to risk our men.

    4B - Hopefully an illusion will cover our escape while they are busy with the front gate. Who knows what's waiting in the basement.

    5E > 5B - Combine B and D. We get to honour our part of the bargain (we will know what parts we have changed so we can correct them during reading, right?), but if she betrays us she gets fucked. If she is not satisfied with us reading the scroll (and our negotiator should handle breaking the news to her) and turns on us, run like hell and conveniently "drop" the scroll or let her take it. I doubt she would bother with us once she gets it.

    6B - She's not an enemy and once fetch is dealt with (one way or the other) she can even be an asset.
     
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    ^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Sure, I will add it as an option, but she will try to stop you from leaving and she may even attack if you fail negotiations. She can not cast it by herself after all, if you leave she has no idea when another group will come and she may get desperate.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,493
    1-C. How is this even a choice?
    2- B. Pushing ourself too far right now is unwise, this tunnel is dangerous.
    3- X.
    4- C.
    5- A.
    6- B.
    Why would we?
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,867
    Damn it, didn't think about that. But I guess it could still work, we would just have to "surrender" and stay there until it's done. She can't kill us (well, not the mages anyway) if she needs us for the ritual. Just to clarify, my idea is to really send her home if the negotiations succeed (and good riddance), but if she attacks, give her a one way ticket to oblivion. I assume we will know what parts of the scroll we have changed and we can correct them during reading, right?
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,169
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    1. You grabbed an item from the vault, what was it?
    D. A collection of scrolls written in old Bruig, you recognize the symbol of the Heron Guard upon them, looking at them gives you a sense of calm and serenity.

    2. Stay or Go, you need to commit yourself now. (If you pick 2A then pick two choices from 3, if you pick 2B then pick a choice from 4)
    B. Leave; monsters outside, a wounded kid, and an impatient Fetch, best to leave for now

    4. If you go there are a few options to pursue.
    B. The map notes the location of a side exit on the other side of the building, you could try to use it.

    5. Now that you have the damn thing what do you intend to do with it. You probably will not have much time to figure this out when you get back so it is better to have this all sorted out now.
    B. Honour your deal but do not let Eris learn the incantation, she won't like trusting you but you will not give her the ability to return and she will have to live with it.

    6. With Amena temporarily incapacitated now would be the perfect time to kill her and Ithapi, but after getting to know her last night do you really want to murder them?
    B. No, the kid is not an enemy and you will not just go around murdering people.
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Anabanana Augur

    Anabanana
    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Messages:
    1,061
    That went rather well! Seems like we were right to trust Derryth's judgment.

    1. E

    I don't know what a Dream is, but how could our scavenger pass up on a motherfucking TREASURE MAP

    2. B
    Yeah, let's not stay here longer than we need to.

    4. B
    SURE LET'S GO THROUGH THE PROBABLY-MONSTER-INFECTED BASEMENT HAHAHAHA no. Though hmm... Fangshi, is there any chance of picking up stuff that's been lying around in the basement?

    5. A > B
    Let's just give it to her so she can fuck off peacefully and we can induct Amena into our harem circle. I am wary of trying out shenanigans that might lead her to turn on us. No seriously, why are people voting to fuck her over again?

    6. B
    What part of Amena -> harem did you not get
     
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.