Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    In this case it probably won't matter. The items you normally wear are all combined enchantments, like I said, when your three mages are not casting the general 'aura' they give off from their equipment is largely the same. Someone would have to be quite familiar with them to pick out any one of them from the others easily. From range it probably won't matter much provided your decoys do not have to pretend to cast.

They aren't listed because I forgot to list them, you have three and I will add them to Lyssa's sheet. If you used them your WIS scores would increase and any enchantments you cast that rely on WIS would also get stronger.

You can create many signals that could 'pass' for you but how your opponent would read such information is beyond your control. If an entire army rolls up and they all 'feel' like your three mages then the TWM would likely just assume that you enchanted a lot of items and that you are hiding somewhere in your ranks, he is not going to get too confused by it though it will annoy him that he will not be able to single you out immediately. It would not make him more or less likely to realize you are not even there, at least not by itself.

Either way is fine by me.

I would have to go back and reread my posts on the subject but I think I said that if it were shattered it would unleash all of its spells though if the spells you want to use are harmless I see no reason to break the vase. All it does is release a random number of stored spells chosen at random, if you make all of the spells harmless then you can simply use the vase over and over again until it is empty, it is not like it has a cool down or anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The impression I've got is that it is truly random, meaning that 'one does not simply use' the vase.

It just can't be controlled, so if you want to release the spells, you have to break it.

No, I have no idea why would anyone make such an item, ever.
    Although, now that I think about it, there is no mention you can't release a spell on demand, either. Hmm.

Ok, waiting for a clarification there. :)

^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Yeah, I think you are right and I did make it truly random in which case you would not even be able to guarantee that the spells would remain in the vase until they reached Nanshe.

Oh, I remember that part, it is really fun at parties. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, if it is truly random, then I'd like to know the math behind it.

Because it is highly unlikely that it will release all of the spells in 3 days if the probability follows the rules of, say, continuous uniform distribution.

Not all random values are equally random. :)

^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well here is how I think I had set it up since I do not have the notes to hand anymore:

1. At completely random intervals it essentially flips a coin and will either fire or not fire based on the outcome.

2. If it fires then it will select a random number of spells of random types and it will release them.

3. It will repeat this loop until it has exhausted all its spells.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Sure, if waiting a millenia or two for it to work is one's idea of fun.

I'll take it. :)

If it works, it will give Nanshe an additional instrument to work with. If it doesn't, well, I will take solace in knowing that the item was truly useless.

So, the adjusted plan looks like this:
    Operation: Challenge Accepted. (open)
    - Contact Nanshe through the Dreaming. Morpheus can connect people and make their dreams lucid, if necessary. Explain to her that the mage have issued you a challenge and point her to the place where the confrontation is supposed to happen.
    - Explain to her that you won't be going. You lack your own forces to tackle the Mage after taking on the Watcher's northern army, and cooperation with the ghols is impossible since your remaining forces mostly consist of dwarves. Ask her if she is willing to participate in the hunt on these terms.
    - If yes, send TWM the message that we are coming through a random brainwashed bird. Set a time limit to make him wait until Nanshe gathers her forces.
    - Collectively enchant as many of the more mundane and expendable items as possible to make them emit your signal.
    - Buy a vase from Brothers Dietfried (10 WPs) and cast some non-combat spells into it. Breaking ithe vase would broadcast a signal with your signature if there would be any spells still left in it at that moment. Haggle down the cost to 3 WPs because it is a fucking piece of trash too exotic an item that no one else would want to buy anyway.

- Give your enchanted items to Brothers Dietfried. They know a way to contact Nanshe and make the merchandise reach her.
    - With enough enchanted trinkets on them some of Nanshe's ghols might pose as us, attracting the White Mage's attention and drawing the Creature himself out. I wonder if putting the trinkets in and out of lead boxes would give an impression of a mage starting/ceasing to cast. TWM should not become alarmed about our association wiith the ghols, as he thinks we are all Mazzarin's slaves anyway.
    - If necessary, the ghols may have doubles, splitting up the signal and eliciting a WTF reaction from the Mage. Whatever Nanshe comes up with to confuse the enemy, really. We don't have recon capabilities to advise her, all we can offer is an opportunity and a bait. The White Mage's familiarity with our 'scents' might do a joke on him here.
    - ???
    - PROFIT - which is Nanshe finishing him off (again), or capturing him, as she has means to become unnoticeable to him - and hopefully, he hasn't figured out how she does it yet. Even funnier if she would be able to do it with the help of her necklace that still enhances her physical performance even though she no longer serves the Watcher.

Tell her that if she would be able to capture the mage, we know a way to get rid of him for good. Whether it would be worth the risk is up to her. We'd be content if he 'dies' again and takes some of his followers with him. We've weakened the Watcher quite a bit - now it's her turn to strike the archmage a blow.

Naturally, 5A. Paging the usual suspects, archaen, Kz3r0 and Jester, to comment on the plan and suggest improvements.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The idea of decoys, actually, felt strangely familiar. Racking my memory, I've found where I borrowed it from:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0428.html
    :salute:

TWM might be no paladin, but he is still much more likely to assume we are hiding behind decoys than that we just ignored him altogether. The guy has too big of an ego. "Do not make me come and find you." :lol: We weren't exactly hiding when they brought their whole army to our doorstep. Where are they, by the way? :cool:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    ^ Top  
  8. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    5A

I motion we sweeten the deal a bit. We still have all these ghol WPs we looted from dead enemies that are useless to us, but we'd be willing to give them to Nanshe. Should make her more willing to agree to the plan.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nah, I still hope they would be worth something to Dietfrieds, who deal with ghols regularly.

Money is money. Why pay if you don't absolutely have to? It is quite possible that after we are done with the undead threat, Nanshe will be our next target. The clans that didn't unite behind the Watcher might unite behind her still.

If she demands a compensation, then we might consider it.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Actually... I am beginning to consider this seriously. How much blood would we need?

Now that we have repelled the Watcher's agression and protected the capital, the military should be all over us. We are just a little short of being official allies.

Well, why not make a symbolic gesture then? Why not have dwarven conscripts donate just a bit of their blood to help restore their fellow soldiers (since one of our injured is a part of actual military, it makes things much easier for us)? From a public image standpoint, the benefits would be obvious - for us, it would mean that none of those who have risked their lives and limbs to protect their country alongside us will be forgotten (we do not abandon our fallen and our wounded), it would allow the military - the King, essentially - to get back a little spotlight it missed by heading southeast (they would get to participate if not in the battle, then in its aftermath), and it would carry a not too subtle 'we are of one blood, you and I' meaning, - especially if we donate some of our own blood to restore our friends, - further integrating us with the Dwarven Kingdom (much to the Great Lords' chagrin - but screw those guys!)

As far as PR actions go, it might be a decent one. And it isn't too draining on the recruits - it would not weaken or endanger them like Mazzarin's resurrection did the Arrows. If 1000 of them donate even 100 milliliters each, we would still get a whole cistern of blood.

Also, we might get enough extra left to have our first Eternal Bloom ritual going. I know, I know. Wicked, right? :)

Do dreams of people cease to exist once they wake up? What about memories? Is it possible to find old dreams of a person that is deceased or awake?

Is it possible to sort through the dreams and find who is currently dreaming about something in particular, rather than find someone and then find out what they are dreaming about like we do it now?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
  12. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    5B - too many ifs and a shaky timeframe for me.

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    A fair bit, about 150-200 liters each. You will need to fully submerge the entire body in magically treated blood.

Certainly possible if you do a public drive 'for the good of the kingdom'. Even if the three ladies shared a tub you could probably shave half a decade off their age though how young do you want to make them? They are only around twenty seven/twenty eight right now anyway...

They cease to exist but the demons/elves/goblins often watch or take part in the dreams of mortals, if there were any witnesses to a dream then they will remember it. The only way to find such dreams would be to see if a resident of the Dreaming was in or around them, you could then ask the creature/demon to 'replay' the memory from their memories of it. Phantasos as the embodiment of the entire plane likely remembers all that has happen there but he is also completely 'insane' by human standards. He does not think like a person so finding him and dealing with him can be quite interesting.

You could also try the dream and memory markets in some of the cities. The denizens of the Dreaming love novelty and stories in general and the nobility collect interesting people for just that reason, but not every demon has the power or the resources necessary to keep guests so many have to make do with 'canned' memories and dreams. You can find all sorts of things that way for the right price.

Sometimes. Some of demons can smell out particularly strong dreams/emotions (it is one of the ways Icelos/Phobetor sniffs out his prey), so you could tell them to look for lustful dreams, melancholy dreams, dreams of anger, and the like. The best trackers can even go further than that and can tell the difference between different types of anger, love, sorrow and the like. Nightmares also have a distinctly different feel to them as they are usually the result of the actions of demons upon the dreaming mind of mortals.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Baltika9: 1.C, 2.Bvi (METAL), 3.A>D, 4.A, 5.A

Nevill: 1.D>A>Biv, 2.Bvi (METAL), 3.E, 4.A, 5.A

Absinthe: 1.x, 2.Bv, 3.x, 4.x, 5.A

Jester: 1.D, 2.Bv, 3.E, 4.A, 5.x

Azira: 1.Bi, 2.Bv>Bx, 3.C>E, 4.x, 5.x

Kz3r0: 1.D, 2.Bv, 3.E, 4.A, 5.A

archaen: 1.D>A>Biv, 2.Bvii (Diadem of Dreams - Morpheus' Nightmare), 3.E, 4.A, 5.x

Grimgravy: 1.C, 2.Bv, 3.C, 4.B, 5.B

1. 1 abstain
    A)
    B) 1 vote
    i. 1 vote
    ii.
    iii.
    iv.
    C) 2 votes
    D) 4 votes

A)
    B) 8 votes
    i.
    ii.
    iii.
    iv.
    v. 5 votes
    vi. 2 votes
    vii. 1 vote

3. 1 abstain
    A) 1 vote
    B)
    C) 2 votes
    D)
    E) 4 votes

4. 2 undeclared
    A) 5 votes
    B) 1 vote

5. 3 undeclared
    A) 4 votes
    B) 1 vote

Post Flop:

1. 1 abstain
    A)
    B) 1 vote
    i. 1 vote
    ii.
    iii.
    iv.
    C) 2 votes
    D) 4 votes

A)
    B)
    i.
    ii.
    iii.
    iv.
    v. 5 votes
    vi. 2 votes
    vii. 1 vote

3. 1 abstain
    A) 1 vote
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D)
    E) 5 votes

4. 2 undeclared
    A) 5 votes
    B) 1 vote

5. 3 undeclared
    A) 4 votes
    B) 1 vote

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I... uh... thought that the ritual prevents aging, not reverses it. :)

Don't get me wrong, I would be totally cool if it did that, too.

How does it work, though? I thought that if we started using it now, we won't be aging for quite some time (for how long? when do you need to do the next session, on average?). But apparently we can become even younger?

Also, about the public drive? I don't think it would be a good idea to let people know you bathe in blood, even if you have the best of intentions. It is just not the kind of thing people understand. 'Normal' people don't do that, period.

A sacrifice, a donation of blood - that one any soldier would be able to relate to. Their duty, their role and function is to protect people's lives at a cost to themselves, spilling their own blood if necessary. If they donate blood to restore the heroes who defeated the Watcher's army, they get to fulfill that function and become a part of that battle. Essentially, there is something akin to this in play:
    But to splill blood so that the King's pet witches would get prettier? That would be hard to sell.

If there would be any leftovers, we might consider this, otherwise we'll have to pass for now.

^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    All it really does is reverse all that wear and tear that the body naturally undergoes and which will eventually kill us all. ;)

So it will take the body of a sixty year old and reverse the effects of aging until they are back at their prime. The same thing that happened with Mazzarin really, it took him from a desiccated corpse back to a healthy human being. It would attempt to do the same thing with the ladies so it would likely shave off half a decade or so (it would give their skin back any lost elasticity and the like), if they had any minor muscle damage from natural wear and tear it would also fix that though it is not a proper healing spell, it will not grow arms back and the like. It also will not 'rewind the clock' in the sense of turning you back into a child or a teenager, it simply 'fixes' you.

How long it works has a lot to do with how much blood/roots/magic you use. It also has a lot to do with just how powerful your magic is, if you have one very powerful mage preform the ritual it will last longer than if an average one does the same (a large number of mages would have a similar effect as well but that would require sharing and mages generally are not big on that).

Finally the larger the difference between your magically induced age and your real age, the harder it will be to stay young. This is not a huge problem for mages though as they do tend to gain power as long as they are alive. It just means that most do not really get better results from the spell as they grow more powerful, as they do age as well.

Some examples:

If cast on someone in their twenties (like the ladies) - It will take them to their prime but if they were already taking care of themselves then they should not see much difference as life has not worn them down too much yet.

Now jump twenty years...

If cast on someone in their forties it would take them back to the prime as well (provided enough magic was used) so all those aches, pains and minor injuries that one accumulates in life would disappear (for those men that start balding, even their hair would fill back in :lol: ).

Jump ahead thirty years and now you are starting to see real changes.

The spell cast on seventy year-olds would restore them to their twenties, it would give their skin back its elasticity, it would strengthen their bones and so on.

Another forty or fifty years and you go from being a near corpse to a healthy young man or woman and from there on out the spell is one of the only things keeping you alive.

The spell usually operates at maximum efficiency for about a year, sometimes two if you do not strain yourself and since most mages would be casting the ritual on themselves (with the help of an apprentice or two perhaps) that is the best that most can hope for.

However if a person could bring together an entire circle of mages willing to help one another then the spell could get fairly powerful. If they were willing to share or work on a cycle then a single casting could probably last each mage several years before it begins to degrade but keep in mind that this is all theory as getting such a group of mages together and keeping them together would likely be quite difficult for most people.

Now once the spell begins to degrade the subject begins to age again and will start to close the gap between their artificial age and their natural one (usually in roughly 20% increments of the total difference or so).

So if a thirty year old used it to become twenty again then when it wore off they would begin to age two or three years at a time.

If a thousand year old mage used it to become twenty then they would likely turn to dust and bone as soon as it began to wear off. Such ancient mages tend to set up secondary precautions in case of such an eventuality to keep themselves from instantly dying if they miss an appointment (naturally there are also more permanent sources of eternal youth out there as well so everything said above only really applies to that particular ritual, speaking of which, you might want to dunk Nine's head in some blood before the year is out, it won't take too much but she would likely appreciate it when she wakes up).

Sorry, I was not very clear there. I meant that it would be doable to 're-purpose' some of the blood taken in by a public drive for Bari and Co, provided such a campaign would work and that the King would be interested in it which you will have to take up with him when you see him.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    So, um. Considering what Nanshe said to us earlier:
    Can we become a thought police find out who is involved with the Watcher through the Dreaming? How difficult would it be?

Also, a call to all 'undeclared' gentlemen - Jester, Azira, and archaen - can you please clarify your position on Operation: Challenge Accepted? I am not asking to vote in favor of it - just to vote. I'd like to see if there is interest in these kind of 'remote' operations without our direct participation. The access to the Dreaming gives us opportunities to coordinate the actions of the Lost and their allies across the whole world.

^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I'm not decided. It'll take resources on our part, and it seems like it's got very long odds of succeeding.
    And just how reliable do we take Morpheus to be?

^ Top  
  18. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    5A - personally dont care to much about that and doubt the odds, still wont stop you from trying.

Eternal bloom - If we will cast it cant we reverse internal organs only? We will extend life span with no oblivious signs of said change. Important part promote charioteer Stigr as hero, spread tale of his gutsy move as our thanks for saving life of our entourage. Added bonus is that mby people will be to absorbed in him to ask about who is Bari, army/royal guard should appreciate this and decreased attention on us. Dont like to be attention whore.

If we have to vote on that set it as Operation 'Kingdom Rider'.

^ Top  
  19. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I am thinking that we are trying get to do too much at once and putting way too much trust in the Demon Lord. If I was him and these two imperious mortals were asking for a million favors right out of the gate, I would be hatching a plot to get them into my collection using their own enthusiasm. I am not necessarily against working with Morpheus, but that we should have some caution when we throw every little plan we have at him asking for help without making sure our plan can't be done without the dreaming and second we don't get into debt, contractual or not, to Morpheus.

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, it is a bit hard to differentiate between 28 and 23 years as it is. The change is unlikely to raise questions.

Hate to remind you, but Stigr didn't do all that much in our battle. The name of the guy who saved us all with his chariot maneuver was Trygve. and he was instantly killed by the Shade.

Bari, like Neel, is just some volunteer who will never be around to give interviews once we are done with him. :)

I am all for keeping the restoration process away from the public. The donation drive is going to generate enough publicity as it is. Just flaunt your restored people after you are done, tell the public they will need rest to recover, and close the curtain on the whole show. I bet the king will try to make this about us and the Royal Army Guards anyway.

I am milking our relationship for what's it worth. We have made one extremely powerful ally, why would we not want his help against nearly as much powerful enemies?

I don't put 'trust' in him, and neither I ask him for anything in advance. If I want him to help preserve our friends' sanity, I tell him how it benefits him. If I want him to connect us every night, I offer him a suitable compensation. As for his potential plan to drag us down, well:

1) 4A partially deals with it, as it involves him promising "not to abduct any member of your group or detain them, he also promises not to try and influence your companions to return to him at a later date when the contract is not in effect". Meaning we are safe from his manipulations for as long as our contract is in effect.
    2) He should be way more interested in working with us than in taking us to the Dreaming. We are just 3 mortals, but we can bring him gifts far greater than ourselves.

Also, how do we 'make sure our plan can be done without the Dreaming' and why should we? What kind of a plan would have saved us down there in the caves if we didn't involve Morpheus? Why should we limit ourselves in what tools we use to achieve our goals, as long as it does not break our character and we can afford them?

I know being overly reliant on him won't do us any good, but we haven't made any steps towards that direction yet. All our deals can be broken safely without inconveniencing us too much.

How reliable do you need him to be for the plan to work?

I am not talking about it in the context of the current choice, but I'd like to expand our partnership. The Dreaming offers some potential we barely began tapping into.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    ^ Top  
  21. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    If thats correct make sure they promote Trygve he deserve it. Expect army will get surge in recruitment.
    And new question is who the hell is Stigr in that case?

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Trygve is dead. A promotion won't do him any good. He met the Dispersal Dream head on, driving the chariot in the midst of the Shade's mercenaries, and ensuring that the Dream would evaporate every last one of them.

I guess if we want to honor his death, we might visit his family when we get to Myrgard.

Stigr is just the driver of Bari's chariot. Other than participating in the battle with The Drowned Dead and our skirmish with the TWM, he didn't do anything heroic to stand out. Which isn't really the point, because you don't have to be a hero to be a part of our troops and for us to care about your well-being. What matters is that he stood with us and fought alongside us.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    ^ Top  
  23. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Wont his family get better money if he is higher ranking officer or noble?

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I don't think they would be all that worried about money right now. Money don't bring back the dead.

What they need is moral support and a shoulder to cry on. As women, I think we would be able to offer them at least that.

Besides, by singling out that particular soldier the state would be demeaning the death of his comrades. There were 22 fallen guards, and they all deserve no less. They gave their lives away just as he did.

I am giving Trygve a special mention because while the other soldiers died fighting alongside us, the kid specifically and consciously chose to sacrifice himself so that we may live. He even pushed Neel away from the chariot. He could have chosen to live and let someone else bite the bullet, but didn't.

I think Derryth would be able to respect that, as she, too, shares this trait.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.