Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

No seriously, why are people voting to fuck her over again?
Because giving her the means to return here might kind of be a bad idea? Invasion of alien witches that decorate themselves with human skin kind of bad idea? It's perfectly possible (hell, probable) she is only playing nice because she needs us for the ritual. B (and E) is not about fucking her over, just taking some steps to prevent that possibility. She is still going home... just not with the tablet. With Thaïs doing the negotiation I think this might work.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I am saddened by the fact that almost no one wants The Black Tome of Alsophocus. :(
The spirit of adventure is dead.

At least there are people willing to trust a nice fetch sorceress.

Last edited:
I know very little about this setting, but from what I can see necromancy and black magic is a very big no-no in this place. So can we please try not to get our character burned at the stake just yet? Or go for the DEVOUR SOUL right from the start? There's plenty of interesting things to take instead. Indeed, I'm updating my vote to include the map - that's just the kind of thing our character would be interested in the most. I wonder, could we just copy the map instead of carrying it outside...

Nevill

Arcane
In the place we are in, black magic is a 'Fuck yeah!', if a couple of hundreds of shadows and a fetch are of any indication. To make it out of here alive you'll need power, lots of it. As for the surface world... no one needs to know what happens down here. In fact, you are already trespassing, and the penalty for being caught here is death. So don't give me that lawful good diatribe - we are already criminals, as far as the law is concerned.

It is not like I am asking you to sacrifice a virgin Miosguinn for the glory of the Dark Ones.

The map can not be of an immediate use right now, and is useless to our survival. We need a short-term boost, because we are having trouble with spiders. Epic expeditions to find long-forgotten spells that only an archmage can cast are way out of our league.

A good short term boost that could help us right now would be some healing and anti-undead spells, which is what probably the scrolls in D are. Going for the the most obvious eeeeeevil option because fuck, power! is just as likely to end badly for us, even if we could find a way to use it right now (and I doubt that). So fuck that.

Nevill

Arcane
What is evil about a book? It's a mean to the goal, nothing more.
Necromancy is shunned not because it is inherently evil, but because its applications are mostly destructive:
So there are no formal rules restricting magic practice/use/education, either within or outside of the colleges, with the exception of a complete ban on the use of dark magic/necromancy which is just common sense. I mean what is a mage going to do with an army of slaved undead except try to start something with his/her neighbors.
Fortunately, we don't have any neighbours whose safety we should worry about here, so we can indulge ourselves. I mean, why not turn the armies of the Dark against themselves? Why must we slog our way through this with our own meager forces just because it is considered a taboo in the surface world? Because that is a proper way to do it? Sure, if you have an army behind your back.

And you don't.

Look, our girl thinks the book radiates power, but also well, evil. She appears to be good at sensing things, so it's a pretty good bet that this books comes with a price tag of some of our sanity. And while we are criminals (I believe punishment is imprisonment, I think), do we really want to paint a target on ourself and our new circle companions by dealing with this kind of stuff right from the start? I mean, unlicensed dungeon diving is one thing, but this is a whole different ballgame. That quote you made - that sounds like a pretty definite ban to me, and anyone caught would be in a world of hurt. And all for what? The book radiates power, sure. But how the we know it is the kind of power that could help us get out of this mess alive? We don't know that. Those scrolls, that magical sword and shield - those can help us right now.

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
And all for what? The book radiates power, sure. But how the we know it is the kind of power that could help us get out of this mess alive?
What kind of power doesn't?

Look, the threat level of this dungeon is so far over 9000, it's not even funny. We had a choice between Myrkridia - the ancient horrors that almost hunted the humanity to extinction - or this shadowland (four shadows can give our team a run for their money, and there are hundreds of them) as our first encounter. It is pretty clear we have to step up our game, and conventional means can't do squat about these kinds of dangers. We have to be creative.

As for burning at the stake and painting the target on ourselves - if the Witch can avoid being found out, so can we. In fact, to even start worrying about it, we'll have to live through this ordeal, first, and that wouldn't be easy.

With great power comes great responsibility. We can take it. We can't afford to be afraid of it. There are people that depend on us.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm with Zero Credibility here. I'd rather go with the "gives you a sense of calm and serenity" magic doo-dads than the "evul vibes" grimoire.
What we want is a way to ward off shadows. Buddying up with the poisoned apprentice gave us the first step. Hopefully those Heron guard notes can help further.
Dabbling in Dark Magics is not what I envisioned nor wanted. No amount of Nevilling will change my view on this one. ;)

What kind of power doesn't?
Well, we just don't know if we can use whatever is written in it to aid us here and now. Say, a spell that turns people into undead monsters under our control would qualify as powerful and evil, yet wouldn't be of much help to us right now because well, our party is the only people around, so on who are we going to use it on? And how thrilled are our companions going to be by our new hobby? My point is, just because something is powerful doesn't mean it would be useful to us right now. Or at all.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The reason I chose the black book is that it likely contains magic that we will not be able to acquire in any other way. The other circles just will not have it. The only way for us to learn it is here.

Also, we went with the independent option for a reason, to avoid the thumb of authority, and acquire power without their petty moral considerations.

Besides, I do eventually want to go Sauron on this world, we've gone light and happy side too often in LPs. I was once promised I could enslave nations with necromancy... Yet so far, no necromancy :(

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
Well about items, you have some that are useful straight away and some that are long term. Sword would give boost party dps (who says you cant lend it), the "necromonicum" didint the scholar mage say he wanted books for his reward? I can bet he would want to claim it for himself and not share and doubt you can hide thing like that from magic users. So the question is if you leave, will there be some mcguffin that prevents returning at second trip, because if you stay and the girl dies you loose a potential ally and mage prodigy. but if you can return later with out the scholar.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well about items, you have some that are useful straight away and some that are long term. Sword would give boost party dps (who says you cant lend it), the "necromonicum" didint the scholar mage say he wanted books for his reward? I can bet he would want to claim it for himself and not share and doubt you can hide thing like that from magic users. So the question is if you leave, will there be some mcguffin that prevents returning at second trip, because if you stay and the girl dies you loose a potential ally and mage prodigy. but if you can return later with out the scholar.
I daresay that's only going to be an issue for us once we leave the underground, not before then. Besides which, there's no guarantee he will discover the book in the first place.

I have no compunctions with doing away with that pesky scholar once and for all when the time is right.

GreyViper

Prophet
I daresay that's only going to be an issue for us once we leave the underground, not before then. Besides which, there's no guarantee he will discover the book in the first place.

I have no compunctions with doing away with that pesky scholar once and for all when the time is right.
I see what you mean, but I would assume he would do the same certainly. Because he would get the book of "unlimited power with a big catch" and no witness that would know about it, like somebody said necromancy is a big no-no. I suspect the influence of the book will be hard to hide considering what it might be. But we will see how it turns out and besides I like a second venture for the book and other stuff.

Kz3r0

Arcane
1. You grabbed an item from the vault, what was it?

E. An old but plain map written in old Bruig with a small notebook. The notes claim that the book leads to the resting place of one of Wyrd's Dreams. Surprisingly you think it may be genuine.

2. Stay or Go, you need to commit yourself now. (If you pick 2A then pick two choices from 3, if you pick 2B then pick a choice from 4)

B. Leave; monsters outside, a wounded kid, and an impatient Fetch, best to leave for now

4. If you go there are a few options to pursue.

B. The map notes the location of a side exit on the other side of the building, you could try to use it.

5. Now that you have the damn thing what do you intend to do with it. You probably will not have much time to figure this out when you get back so it is better to have this all sorted out now.

B. Honour your deal but do not let Eris learn the incantation, she won't like trusting you but you will not give her the ability to return and she will have to live with it.

6. With Amena temporarily incapacitated now would be the perfect time to kill her and Ithapi, but after getting to know her last night do you really want to murder them?

A. Yes, we must deprive Eris of every asset we can.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Alright. So, about the treasure.
Well about items, [...] didint the scholar mage say he wanted books for his reward? I can bet he would want to claim it for himself and not share and doubt you can hide thing like that from magic users.

The Children are specifically known for their thirst for knowledge and for their belief that it exists to be shared:
Fangshi said:
I added another magic circle if you are uncomfortable with the Warlocks, less useful but more trustworthy they are interested in knowledge but not in possessing it but instead spreading it.
Well, due to the nature of the book, you can not exactly spread its contents. You can not keep it in a museum, too, as it would instantly be burned so it would not tempt anyone. There is a reason it was kept in a secret vault in the Head Librarian's offive, and not in the open. Miosguinn does not have a use for this book - he does not want to hoard the knowledge, yet he can not share it with the others. It is as much of interest to him as Brigit's bow. He should not concern us.

Frankly, I believe that everyone who had voted for the Warlocks to join us in our expedition should vote for taking the book as well. These guys are so badass that people seek their services despite their shady reputation. Dabbling in the dark magic does that to you. We deemed them too dangerous and powerful to be trusted, but if so, why not become one yourself, or at least, their equal? No one burns these guys at a stake. No one dares.

This is the kind of power I seek.

Derryth is a strong, psychically stable girl. She'll know when enough is enough, she won't become Sauron overnight. Besides, the choice will be in our hands. I do not think that just this one act will doom us to the eternity of pain, suffering and despair.

1. C

I am not keen on leaving, either. I do not believe we'll get to revisit this place. It is unknown how would our quest influense the shadows that haunt the city and the wards that keep them out of this building, and we know that strange creatures that we noticed earlier do not want anyone entering. If we attemp the entry for the second time, the place will most likely be overrun by either. We must loot whatever we can now and leave for good.

2. A

I do not want to be greedy and break the enchantment on the vault - the mage that have casted it probably had more experience than our whole team combined. But I want to pay a visit to that Artefact room. We probably won't find much there, as the head librarian had probably kept the best stuff to himself, but I can't leave without looking there at least once. As we didn't have a chance to examine the Planar section, I suggest paying a visit there for the second time, spiders be damned. Maybe we'll know more about the incantation.

And of course, we should guard the door.

3. B (check the Artefact Section and the Theology Section), C.

The question of what to do with Eris is an interesting one. There is no doubt that she is trying to leave, yet it is apparent that she can't do so without our help. I can't fathom the reason why she would want to return here, so I might as well trust her, but trust is a two-way street. So I guess I'll aim for B. Not like she can do anything about it. She can't cast the incantation herself, else she would have sent Amena to the library a long time ago.

5. B

And finally, I do not want to kill anyone yet. This is completely unnecessary and unjustified. Whether Eris intends to betray us or not, she can not afford to, as long as she needs us.

6. B

1C 2A 3BС 5B 6B

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Anbanana said:
Though hmm... Fangshi, is there any chance of picking up stuff that's been lying around in the basement?

Sure there is stuff in the basement and you can pick it up if you want. Can't tell you what it is or whether you would even want it but there you go. ;)

Zero Credibility said:
I know very little about this setting, but from what I can see necromancy and black magic is a very big no-no in this place.

Here are the basics of what Derryth knows about Necromancy since not everyone has a good understanding of its implications:

On Necromancy:

There is no real black magic per say in the setting so you do not have to worry about people hanging you for practicing mind altering magic or anything.

However you are right that necromancy is punishable by death. At the moment you are breaking the law and possibly endangering the city, if you are caught you will be imprisoned but they won't try to kill you unless you fight back.

If you are found in possession of necromantic texts however you will be hung, quartered and your body burnt, 2/3rd of the population died in the wars they will take no chances with a necromancer. Also keep in mind that if you want to practice necromancy you will have to hide it from your expedition, almost all of them have lost people because of the war and Derryth knows they would attack her as soon as they find out.

It is still a completely valid choice and Smashing Axe is right, it is a difficult spell set to gain access to. Any teacher you may find will be quite evil or insane or both so this is a great opportunity. However you should all be aware of the risks, no servant of the Light will call you friend if you go down that path I am afraid.

Derryth thinks that Gareth, Serpent, Tyrvard, Brigit and Miosguinn would all immediately attack you if they saw you raising the dead for example, Thaïs would probably try to kill you in your sleep...

Nevill

Arcane
Derryth thinks that Gareth, Serpent, Tyrvard, Brigit and Miosguinn would all immediately attack you if they saw you raising the dead for example, Thaïs would probably try to kill you in your sleep...
Any more examples of the spells from necromancy school?

D&D treats necromancy a bit differently from 'black arts, burn on sight', but I don't know much about this setting. Are there spells that do not require to mutilate corpses and slaughter kittens? Something that would be more acceptable for our companions?

Also, way to spoil my campaign to make an aspiring Fallen Lord out of Derryth. :mad:;)

Last edited:
If you are found in possession of necromantic texts however you will be hung, quartered and your body burnt, 2/3rd of the population died in the wars they will take no chances with a necromancer. Also keep in mind that if you want to practice necromancy you will have to hide it from your expedition, almost all of them have lost people because of the war and Derryth knows they would attack her as soon as they find out.

It is still a completely valid choice and Smashing Axe is right, it is a difficult spell set to gain access to. Any teacher you may find will be quite evil or insane or both so this is a great opportunity. However you should all be aware of the risks, no servant of the Light will call you friend if you go down that path I am afraid.

Yeah, can we please leave this thing alone? Pretty please? Brigit is right there with us and I think that carrying out a book bound in human flesh and radiating evil power just might raise some awkward questions. Don't we have enough to worry about already with the fetch, the shadows, and the artefact we are looking for?

Fangshi

Arcane
Azira said:
So... You're saying Derryth would have to kill them first, then raise them from the dead to serve her eternally?

Always an option yes, if you had a high CHA you could probably bluff some of them if they really liked you but 2 CHA so you would have to get creative. ;)

Definitely an option but not without risks, I just don't want anyone whining when Derryth has to off a few people to keep her secret... :lol:

Nevill said:
Any more examples of the spells from necromancy school?

D&D treats necromancy a bit differently from 'black arts, burn on sight', but I don't know much about this setting. Are there spells that do not require to mutilate corpses and slaughter kittens? Something that would be more acceptable for our companions?

Also, way to spoil my campaign to make an aspiring Fallen Lord out of Derryth.

Sure, a bit more info and background on Necromancy and Magic, this will be a bit long:

Necromancy in this setting is actually something of a cottage industry (or was before the war killed a lot of the Necromancers), the bread and butter of this school is the raising of the recently dead or the long dead.

Derryth has a basic idea of what the school can do as she has had to fight her fair share of undead (usually one or two at a time).

-Your most basic spell can raise ghasts, basic zombies essentially, this is done by trapping the soul of a person in their corpse and breaking its will.

-Slightly more difficult is the creation of Thralls, the recently dead, like ghasts but bound with just enough of their consciousness to follow orders. They start off very weak but you can order them to train 24hrs a day till they become competent if slow warriors.

-Wights, are walking landmines (Derryth really hates dealing with them), they are ghouls that are further along in the process of decomposition with a few more spells added. Basically they are undead suicide bombers, you order them to attack and they sneak up and stab themselves dying again in a massive explosion.

-The Soulless or Hollowmen will be your main ranged construct. You need a clean and intact upper body of a skeleton to work the spell and with further enchantments you can create a magical sack from which they draw an endless supply of javelins (though that will be a difficult spell to learn and master). They do not have legs but instead hover over the ground and are great with ambushes. A Soulless killed one of Gareth's best friends in just such an ambush during the war.

-At the highest levels you can create Stygian Knights, by binding a departed soul to a suit of armour, these guys are very tough but slow, in theory you could even wear one for greater protection.

-None of the Fallen Lords knew how to create or control shadows, all that is known about creating them is that a person has to die in a lot of pain and with something important left undone, generally they are very rare.

-At the very highest levels of mastery rest the spells that can create truly sentient undead. Balor cast one such spell on the Myrmidons and it gave them eternal life but also drove them insane. They have not been seen since Balor fell during the Great War and some speculate that the magics sustaining them died with him.

-Another such spell is that which gives a Shade eternal life, think of it as a sort of lichdom. There are even more powerful spells that only the Watcher knew and he learnt them by traveling into the sunken lands in the north west of Myth, he studied them for decades underwater without taking a breathe and he learnt the Dream of Undeath on which all necromatic spells are based. For this reason he was considered the first necromancer.

It is worth noting that the Deceiver found other ways to maintain his life, as did Shiver and Soulblighter, none of them were particularly skilled at Necromancy.

Actually out of all the Fallen Lords the Deceiver was most reliant on living soldiers either willing servants and allies or dominated puppets. Which makes sense as he hated the other Fallen Lords with a passion and did not trust the necromancers. One of the reasons why he defected to Alric's side in the war against Soulblighter was because they hated eachother so very much.

As for why it is a "burn on sight" offense, the world of Myth has gone through two wars that have wiped out more than half the population. You would be hard pressed to find a person who has not lost a loved one to the Undead (hell Alric lost almost his entire family in the opening battles of the Great War) and most of those Undead were raised by necromancers employed by the Fallen Lords. As such common consensus amongst everyone from the Imperial government , to the Circles, to the Dwarves, to the local governments is "never again", they simply will not risk it. Now there are allies that can be found for the budding necromancer; the ghôls, the Fetch, the Myrkridia (if you can show you are powerful enough) , maybe even the Trow if you have something they want (they are effectively neutral and have allied with both the Light and the Dark) and there are also the mercenaries and cultists left over from the war but you will have a hard time getting regular people to side with you or even tolerate you once they realize what you are.

The Dreams:

Since someone asked and I can't remember if I already said or not I will explain the dreams again. This involves a bit of philosophy and theology which Derryth is not great at but Serpent and Thaïs have been helping you so you now have a decent grasp on it. This will be a bit of a story so settle in: (tldr: the Dreams are the most powerful spells in the whole setting)

In the beginning the world did not exist. All was nothing except for the Dark Gods. Now no one knows much about them and only the ghôls remember their names and still worship them with bloody sacrifices. Then came Wyrd and Nyx the two great gods of the world. Wyrd created the world and drove out the Dark Gods to the place between worlds but Nyx grew jealous of Wyrd's creation and the two came to blows. The fighting created the great volcano Tharsis, and brought about a number of other changes but eventually Wyrd cast down Nyx and stood triumphant.

Interestingly the Trow continue to worship Nyx to this day, perhaps a comment on what they think of Wyrd's handiwork. Now there are a couple of related stories about Wyrd that may be of interest here.

The first is short and sweet, Wyrd had a son, nothing is said of the other parent, this son was named Segoth and the Dark Gods managed to capture and behead Segoth as vengeance for the creation of the world. But before hiding the head away they enchanted it so that it would live forever and never lose the power of speech. Talking heads are a recurring theme in the history of Myth and this suggests that at least some of the spells known by the Dark Gods can be learnt by mortals. These spells are never given a name so for the purposes of this CYOA I will can them the Nightmares and they are very powerful.

The second story about Wyrd has to do with his creation of the world. It is said that he lay dreaming for countless ages, and his dream was the One Dream. When he awoke he made his dream into the world and all the known lands of Myth were created in that moment. Now accounts vary after this but eventually the Dark Gods managed to get a hold of Wyrd and broke the great god. When they did so the One Dream shattered into Forty Nine pieces and these are the Dreams and these Dreams were hidden at the far corners of the world on great stone statues and pillars.

They are by far the most powerful spells in existence, but only a handful are known:

-Alric knows at least one of the Dreams and used it during the war, this was the Dispersal Dream and is a terrifying attack spell. It is like a chained explosion spell that one hit kills its target and spreads to anyone near the target and then anyone near them and so on. It can wipe out whole formations of enemy troops in an instant.

-Shiver knew one Dream as well called the Whisper Dream. This allowed her to enter the minds of her friends and enemies and alter their thought through their dreams, if she wanted to she could even kill through dreams and nightmares. The Avatara Rabican with the help of an unexpected ally managed to defeat Shiver in one such dream duel and killed her instantly, it is unclear if he also knew the spell as he was killed by the Watcher within a year of defeating her.

-It is thought that the Deceiver knew at least a few Dreams and he used one on his old enemy and sometime ally the Watcher. This dream was called the Confinement Dream which immediately fixes its target to a nearby surface permanently. The magics are so powerful that they can only ever be undone once, if this first attempt is failed than the victim remains trapped forever. The Watcher was forced to cut off his own arm to escape from the Deceiver's trap as he lacked the ability to fully free himself.

-Rumours from the south suggest that a great Ghôl idol known as Crom Cruach holds another of the Dreams, nothing is known about it save that it is called the Rotting Mist Dream.

-The Watcher definitely knew at least one Dream, the Dream of Unlife from which all necromancy spells derive.

-Soulblighter had the rare ability to polymorph himself which is the only example of such a spell in the setting and may be another Dream.

-It has been suggested that the Callieach (the ancient race of mages the Children are named after) knew some of the Dreams as well and that the spell they cast at the end of their losing war with the Trow which wiped them from the map may be one.

At any rate there are forty nine Dreams all told and it is believed that whoever manages to learn all forty nine will transcend mortal reality and take Wyrd's place as the god of Myth. This will in turn dramatically change the world but no one has any real idea what would happen.

One problem with the theory is that it is known that some of the spells have been completely lost to time, some think that this will prevent the recreation of the One Dream while others think that an archmage only has to collect all the surviving Dreams and that the destruction of some brings the whole world closer to change. Again no one really knows.

Derryth thinks that the map may lead to one of the Dreams but there is no way of knowing if it is real, which Dream it is, or whether or not the monolith with the Dream on it is still standing.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
1E : Such a find might be even more valuable than the stone we're looking for.
2B
3X
4C : Let's check what's in the basement !
5A : We can't trust her, but corrupting the incantation won't make us any safer.
6B

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1. You grabbed an item from the vault, what was it?
I think we're in this for the glory, not power for the sake of power. Also, we're an archeologist. There is only one selection that Indy would make here:

I. Some sort of gold cup, probably not good for much right?

(I could be convinced to flop to D, E or H)

2. Stay or Go, you need to commit yourself now.

A. Stay; you want that treasure, consequences be damned

This is what we came down here for. Fortune and glory. Our companions knew the risks when they signed on, Amena is not truly our concern, and c'mon is Eris really going to throw a fit over a single day?

3. If you stay who does what? Derryth and Gareth will choose parties to the best of their abilities but what should be their focus? (Pick two)

A. Focus on getting the vault open

B. Focus on searching the rest of the Library for more treasure

Again, fortune and glory.

5. Now that you have the damn thing what do you intend to do with it. You probably will not have much time to figure this out when you get back so it is better to have this all sorted out now.

E. Honour your deal but corrupt the tablet just in case; if she agrees to let you cast it then proceed as in B, if she refuses then default to D (hopefully you can remember the exact incantation from memory as you will not be able to use the tablet to cast the real spell)

I don't trust a fetch any farther than we can throw one and our character has low STR.

6. With Amena temporarily incapacitated now would be the perfect time to kill her and Ithapi, but after getting to know her last night do you really want to murder them?

B. No, the kid is not an enemy and you will not just go around murdering people.

I have no desire to play an evil character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom