Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yes, I can. Lyssa is another one of those risks.

Lyssa's situation has a few advantages over Nephila's. First, she is an actual human. The disguising spells might fail, either by happenstance, or by malice. Lyssa is not in danger of revealing her true form.

Second, she is an actual human. Her motives and actions are far easier to understand and accept, while Nephila, though friendly, is still a demon. Lyssa is far more likely to coexist with us without causing accidents of unwanted kind.

Third, Lyssa is not a daughter to the Spider Goddess who we suspect is behind the cultist forces. She is not Rand's former servant. She isn't the one who put Albrechts on the throne. In our current situation, Lyssa has much better chances to remain unnoticed as she is not really connected with the major players in the dwarven kingdom.

Yes, but they also warn that it would not hold against a dedicated attempt to dispel it.

The other demons also probably aren't under nearly as much scrutiny as we or our allies.

Now here is where I would require proof. From my point of view, from the glimpse we got of his mind, from what he was talking about in the last update, it is obvious to me that he cares about his people, first and foremost.

Also, our income is dependant on the healthy state of the country. You can't lose the whole southern half of it and expect that things will go just as smoothly. Do I really have to point out that losing a war affects the economy negatively?

We have invested much in this country and we are not going to give it up without a fight.

I am kind of curious, though. Why do you think Derryth and Thais decided to stay and fight for the Fort Blackrock? For what phantom reward and what benefits? I get it that it was a relative success, but if we thought about it in terms of rewards only, we would never be able to achieve what we did.

No, I do not find it suspicious, because TWM wants his private battle (he does not want us walking away with the army), and I have no idea what Mazzarin wants and if he even remembers who we are. Again, do you have any proof of that?

Alright. Actually, it makes a whole lot of sense. So what?

Do we know where she went or where she is kept? Why do you think she is still in the city? Do you expect her to give birth in a month?

Why is she an immediate concern?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fine. Give it to Martin, then. Do we have to vote on it, too?

Vegeta mouse, here we come! :lol:

^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Sure why not, maybe we can make it to ten questions for this update...

9. Do you feed Martin the glowing chunk of 'completely safe' cheese?

A. Yes, you want to see what will happen

B. No, it is glowing cheese you do not want anyone to ingest that

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    9A.

He wanted it for his people. He would never want anything bad to happen to his people, right? :salute:

And swap me back to 6A.

:avatard:

^ Top  
  5. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Fangshi, I insist we either leave the 8 vote to next update or we add the options for "make a spell-storing ring, make enchanted armor, etc." I think it's better off left to next update tbh.

Also, can we have the royal academy try to investigate these necklaces some more?

The idea is that we would tell him our role in this. That's what Albrecht wants to know in the first place. This isn't really about Mazzarin (he'll find that out soon enough and realize we most likely performed some kind of task for him, given that we were there) but about how much Albrecht can trust us. So telling him our role gives him peace of mind. Besides, Mazzarin isn't a fallen lord or dark god or demon. If there's an ancient power that's acceptable to revive, Mazzarin would be high on that list (Wyrd would be higher). We can (and should) leave the fallen lords out of it, but we tell Albrecht about reviving Mazzarin.

Paging Grimgravy, archaen, zerozero, Kz3r0: You guys voted 2D but you didn't specify whether you want to put it on the promissory note or not. Fangshi is assuming that means we pay it with our own funds. Is this correct?

^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yeah, he is going to be really peaceful when he hears about two mages letting something out that no one can put back.

He was afraid we were agents of some greater power for a while now, and all that interests him is will that power leave his kingdom be. Incidentally, that is one question we can't really answer, though the presence of blinking horrors suggests otherwise.

But hey, I flopped to 6A anyway. We'll see where it will lead us.

^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well the way I was going to work 8 was to just have the ladies instruct Astrid to have her research and the sap samples sent over with a letter from the king ordering the development of the sticky bombs. That way even if you chose to leave the city immediately you would not have to actually visit the Academy.

In contrast if you want the armour you are going to have to stick around for a while to get fitted and take an active role in its creation.

However now that I think about it the ring could be handled similar to the way the bombs will be so I can add an option to have the ring development start now. You would need to give up one of your rings for a few hours at least to have them analyze it if you want an exact replica though and if the A option had won then that would mean leaving the ring in the city when you left. I had assumed that people would rather work on the ring in person with the fellows of the Academy if they chose to remain in the city but I should not have made that assumption so:

10. Build a spell storage ring. It will require you giving one of your rings to the Academy to study for a few hours or days and it will likely take about a month to properly enchant it but you believe it should be possible to build another spell storage ring from scratch. The King will cover the development costs.

A) Yes, you undertake developing the ring now.

B) No, you either do not want the ring or do not want them to work on the ring now.

Only if a B option wins, they will need repeated access to your necklaces to run tests on them and it will take time in all likelihood. If you plan to go south at all you just won't have the free time needed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nah. Enough spell rings. If the academy develops one, soon everyone and their dog will be wearing them. I'd rather have them work on something more innovative.

10B.

^ Top  
  9. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Fangshi, if we go to the academy, we can at least be there while we're lending them the ring, yes? Also, what about picking up a single spell for both the girls while we're there?

The funny thing is that your version is more likely to convince him we are agents of Mazzarin. After all, we would be refusing to tell Albrecht what we've been up to for Mazzarin. That sounds rather like we were ordered not to tell by a certain greater power, and that we'd follow his orders over answering the king. Which is the kind of impression I'd rather avoid.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Or it sounds rather like 'not revealing a secret of the mage that can pulverize you just by sneezing at you'. A.k.a. 'sane man's choice'.

^ Top  
  11. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    If that's what you're worried about, we should be dead already for informing The Watcher.

^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Yes, if C wins and the ladies go to the academy you will interview Albrecht's son while the fellows examine the ring. I can also give you the option to study a little if you want to spend the extra time and that will give the fellows more time to study the ring as well.

There is an element of luck involved though, the fellows will make a few rolls when studying the ring if they do really well they can be done in a few hours or so, if they roll poorly you might have to leave it with them for a day or so. In C though they should always be done with it by the time you are done visiting the royals.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    You are mixing up Albrecht's impressions of our actions and real facts.

Albrecht does not know we informed the Watcher, so I fail to see how this is relevant.

I mean:
    There are reasons for us to keep our secrets besides "OMG, they are Mazzarin's slaves".

^ Top  
  14. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    No, I'm saying if Mazzarin were going to kill us for revealing this "secret" (what? he's back and knows longevity magics?), he would've already done so considering we told the The Watcher by proxy.

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Which is what we know, but Albrecht does not. There is no real 'secret' in what we've done for him (as in, Mazzarin does not care about it in any way), but we might want to keep it a secret still.

Anyway, this is a pointless argument, as 6A is implied to be telling the truth about our interactions with him.

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Considering his 'Desert Storm' entrance, I don't think he's that concerned about secrecy.
    The whole thing was probably a way of announcing his return, BLOBERT style:
    "SUP BROS, I'M BACK!"
    :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yeah, he himself would probably prefer to make a big production out of his return. He loves attention.

^ Top  
  18. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    No, considering the situation I want to all being paid by the crown.

^ Top  
  19. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Here is my amended vote:
    C) ii.

A) as much as possible.
    B) 10/10/10
    C)
    D)
    All on the crown.

3. C)

4. D)

A) Yes

B) No

7:
    B - No.

A. Yes

B. No

B) No

^ Top  
  20. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    9) B no warp cheese
    10) A

Waiting for the update. How long till vote closure?

^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well, it only seems fair to give people time to vote on these new options that keep popping up but if there are no more last minute additions or questions from here on out I will probably close the vote in twenty hours and do the update within a day of that (sometime Saturday or Sunday afternoon).

Yeah, that sounds good. The vote will close in twenty hours and the update will be out within twenty four hours of that (probably closer to sixteen hours or maybe less since it won't need to be too long, I think each of the kids will get their own update as you proceed with the investigation but I will have to see where it makes sense to cut things based on how the rolls go).

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Nevill's package
    Cii: Derryth + Thais + Biliku + Uttu - our team of investigators.
    Civ: Lyssa + Berty + Skite + Mayer - our recruitment team.
    Cvi: Most of the mice, including Myrra, Poppy and Martin - our spying team.

zerozero's Package
    Bii - Berty, girls, half of Blackfort forces, some pathfinders
    Biii - Derryth, Thais and royal guard, some pathfinders
    Bv - Lyssa, Ceannard and Black Arrows, some pathfinders
    Bvi- Nephila (with a disguise paid for by Albrecht's promissory note with Lysaa's mice

asxetos:
    1. Nevill's package,
    2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10),
    3. x,
    4. x,
    5. x,
    6. x
    7. x
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Absinthe:
    1. Nevill's package,
    2: B (Nevill), C, D (seriously these rings are too good; lets also put this on the promissory)
    3: Abstain for now. It might be better to let Albrecht's champion keep an eye on them. Might also be better to call him to Stoneheim instead.
    4: D - Martin's pick of the castle + we send someone to go fetch a variety of smaller cheeses from the market.
    5. A
    6. A
    7. A
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Jester:
    1. Nevill's package > C2
    2. A) 5 mandrake roots (2/2/1 ?), B) 12 energon cubes (4/4/4 ?)
    3. H
    4. D
    5. A
    6. A
    7. A
    8. A
    9. B
    10. A

Sunnmøring:
    1. Biv
    2. x
    3. x
    4. x
    5. x
    6. x
    7. x
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Nevill:
    1. Nevill's Package
    2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10) [promissory note from the King], C) Get another set of jewelry instead of the one we gave to Brothers Dietfried.
    3. A
    4. D
    5. A
    6. A
    7. B
    8. A
    9. A
    10. x

zerozero:
    1. zerozero's Package
    2. BD
    3. ADEF
    4. D
    5. A
    6. B
    7. B
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Baltika9:
    1. Nevill's Package
    2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10) [promissory note from the King], C) Get another set of jewelry instead of the one we gave to Brothers Dietfried.
    3. AD
    4. D>C
    5. A
    6. A
    7. B
    8. A
    9. A
    10. B

Grimgravy:
    1. B2
    2. B (no more than 15) C, D
    3. H (leave them be)
    4. A Any cheese will do. Stop pandering to rodents
    5. A
    6. B
    7. B
    8. B
    9. B
    10. B

archaen:
    1. Nevill's plan
    2. BCD
    3. FG - send for all our mercenaries after they issue the cheese. The armies have no mages and we have gained most of the value of the fort at this moment. There is no need to risk what is left our personnel for almost no gain. Even if one of the lords takes it over we can just unblock the tunnels and let the rhyming monsters massacre them if Nephila lets some live or sneak in our own murder force(Mice with cyanide for the soup).
    4. C for eldritch horror mice, or mice in the dreaming, or Vegeta mice. Either way our forces will be clear.
    5. A
    6. A
    7. B
    8. A
    9. A
    10. B

Kz3r0:
    1. Cii
    2. ABCD
    3. C
    4. D
    5. A
    6. B
    7. B
    8. A
    9. B
    10. B

1. What to do?

Leading Option: Nevill's Plan (6 votes)
    Nevill's package
    C)ii: Derryth + Thais + Biliku + Uttu - our team of investigators.
    C)iv: Lyssa + Berty + Skite + Mayer - our recruitment team.
    C)vi: Most of the mice, including Myrra, Poppy and Martin - our spying team.

zerozero's plan - 1 vote
    Biv - 1 vote
    Bii - 1 vote
    Cii - 1 vote

2. What to buy?

1 abstain

Mandrake Roots 2/9 votes (1 general vote that goes to the leading option)
    1 vote for 5 roots (2/2/1 ?)

Energon Cubes: 8/9 votes (3 general votes that go to the leading option)
    3 votes for 30 cubes (10/10/10) using an Albrecht promissary note
    2 votes for 12 cubes (4/4/4) - One vote directly for 12 and one vote for anything under 15

Jewelry: 6/9 votes

Spell Ring: 5/9 votes
    4 votes to buy it with a promissory note from Albrecht

1 vote to just buy it

3. Who to call?
    (3 abstain)

A) 3/7 votes
    B)
    C) 1/7 votes
    D) 2/7 votes
    E) 1/7 votes
    F) 2/7 votes
    G) 1/7 votes
    H) 2/7 votes

4. Cheese
    (2 abstain)
    A) 1 vote
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D) 6 votes

5. The Seekers
    (2 abstain)
    A) 8 votes
    B)

6. Mazzarin
    (2 abstain)
    A) 5 votes
    B) 3 votes

7. Nanshe
    (2 abstain)
    A) 2 votes
    B) 6 votes

8. Sticky Bombs
    (4 abstain)
    A) 5 votes
    B) 1 vote

9. Martin
    (4 abstain]
    A) 3 votes
    B) 3 votes

10. Ring
    (4 abstain)
    A) 1 vote
    B) 5 votes

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9

^ Top  
  24. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Baltika9, archaen do you want to put the spell-storing ring on the promissory note or pay it directly? Fangshi is assuming you are voting for paying out of our own pocket.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Promissory.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.